ULTA

ULTA Employer Reviews

Fun and educational place to work during college
Lead Cashier/Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), Greenville, NCJuly 7, 2014
lead cashier
worked in cosmetics
worked as part of the operations team
learned about all brands in the store
learned about skincare/haircare
Good job for a student
Salon Receptionist (Former Employee), Tustin, CAJuly 7, 2014
Pros: free samples.
Cons: no advancement
the hardest part of the job was having to dress up, if you did not have a full face of makeup the managers would tell you it is a dress code violation.
Not a place for a stylist.
HairStylist (Current Employee), UtahJuly 7, 2014
Pros: nice people.
Cons: read review if you are a stylist looking for employeement
I'm extremely discouraged with this company. In school I always had this dream-like idea that I would be in a salon where I would be appreciated, I would be working on a clientele, the salon I would be some what busy and I would have the FREEDOM to choose the way I want to do things! of course these things would either come faster or slower depending – more... on the salon but, everyone and this business knows it just doesn't fall into your lap. But this is my Ulta experience and this is why no STYLIST that wants to advance in their CAREER should EVER work here.

First off, before I was working at Ulta I had a full time job. I was making about 1,300 to live on. When I interviewed at Ulta they told me that getting full-time would be a piece of cake. But for now they will guaranteed me at 22+ hours a week. So I did my budget, figured that I would actually survive on this pay especially with the commission.
Oh no, not only did I barley get any hours, getting commission is IMPOSSIBLE. They don't want to pay you more than $8 an hour! But your doing OVER PRICED $30+ haircuts left and right. This place is a JOKE. And my hours every week you ask? Well being promised 22+ hours a week. It dropped to 20... week later it dropped to 16... now its dropping to 15. So basically I live 15 miles away and I work three 5 hour shifts! Thank you for taking consideration of my life! And now I can't pay any of my bills! And it cost me a fortune to even get to this DUMP. Also no benefits, no bonuses, no freedom!

Next, lets talk about my responsibilities. I have to so many haircuts, services, rebooks, and so on and so on.. But also, anytime a retail person doesn't feel like getting off their lazy butts to help someone I HAVE TO. Even when I'm trying to close. I have to sweep, mop, do other chores before I leave at nine! It takes a hour to completely close! Anytime I get interrupted and I end up clocking out late I get in trouble! ME!
I didn't go to be a retail slave! And the stylist always have to help them stock pro-hair. Ha yeah now I can really have the time to commission! This PLACE IS AWFUL.
Oh not to mention cleaning the bathrooms! Ha what a dream come true for stylists! I never thought I would end up hating my salon job this much. I need to get out of here before I decide to give up hair forever.

The management. Is unapproachable. The DM spy's on you with her cameras all day then calls to complain about why aren't we do this... why are we doing that. Every time anyone leaves I have to be patted down, and my stuff has be to SEARCHED. This is so out of control.

Next, we never get our tips. They are quick to take OUR tips, and they lock OUR TIPS in THEIR SAFE, and most of the time, they have the right stylist name, they don't even put who left it for you, sometimes they just leave it blank making it so you can never get your tips unless you stay 45 minutes after you clocked out. There has been so many times where I have had to leave because I couldn't wait around anymore.
So thanks for that! I don't get paid anything and now I don't even get my tips.

Next... THE CONTRACT. You cannot work at another salon if you work at the ulta salon. This is very selfish. Considering, the only thing I know how to do is HAIR. And you only let me work 15 hours a week. And I can't go get another hair job? " I have to go to something else." Ulta you treat your employees like GARBAGE.
And I would never recommend your ompany for employment. – less
Current employee
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee), N/AJuly 6, 2014
Pros: set your own break times, test out new products, 25% discount, very friendly coworkers
Cons: usually work a 3-4 hr shift unless you are prestige or management, managment issues, clear purses to be used only, bag checks
I currently work at Ulta. The atmosphere there is amazing and always so much fun. Everyone gets along great, but the GM is so rude to the employees its unacceptable. Always telling us what were doing wrong, were not working hard enough, gets upset when we need numbers. (only managers and lead cashiers have numbers) If GM is with a guest and need numbers, – more... arude glance is made and says you will just have to wait. Guest keeps waiting then... – less
awesome place to work for younger people
Merchandise and Service Coordinator (Former Employee), MckinneyJuly 4, 2014
The discount is awesome, and the company really cares about its employees. There is alot of heavy lifting, and time on your feet though. If you can get past that its a wonderful atmosphere!
fun
Customer Rep, Cashier (Former Employee), Benton Harbor, MIJuly 3, 2014
It was interesting working with things i didnt know about. it was a fun environment
Great environment and fun store.
Task/Merchandising (Current Employee), Peoria, AZJuly 2, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: pay, opportunity for advancement
I do merchandising and task for this company. I handle shipment, I place product, I do inventory, ad set, plano, reflows and many other things. I've learned many things in this position that can translate to other jobs. I love the company however the pay is not great and I've been held back from advancing for reasons that are not just.
Typical Day
Cashier (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAJuly 1, 2014
Pros: co-workers, discounts, free items
Cons: no benefits, no pto, not enough hrs scheduled, not high enough pay
The typical day is that I would go in and clock in and have a huddle before so I can see all the sales and good deals that are going on in that week. I would work the cashier when customers would come up with their products and items they wanted to buy. I would offer a team member awards card as well to try to promote our promotions and to save money – more... on products, we would have goals for those and I
usually exceeded them or to that goal that day – less
Basic
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee), West Hollywood, CAJune 30, 2014
Drama. I mean, come on there's a salon inside the store...salon equals gossip...need I say more.
fun
Skin Therapist (Current Employee), Royal Oak, MIJune 30, 2014
good fun fast pace inviornment friendly employees and clients.
Lifeless, overbearing, and no room for artistic growth
Stylist (Former Employee), El CajonJune 27, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: management, theft, not flexible with hours, weird unstable schedules
I came to Ulta with such an enthusiastic and optimistic heart come to find out that this location would just break my heart! Because the salon is located inside the store, stylists are required to do retail work as well (I don't remember that in my cosmo training!) stocking and trying to sell products. I was told there was heavy foot traffic but there – more... was no such thing. A typical day for me was clean the salon, mop the floors, and pretend I was busy. I never went to a training to further my knowledge in hair or make-up. A lot of the times I was the only one at the salon and there would be so many times I would have to turn customers away because I simply could not do all that work on my own and the sad thing was that there goes a potential long time client! My schedule was confusing, humiliating, and stupid. I would be scheduled to work once a week sometimes for less than 4 hours and I live about 30 minutes away from this Ulta location.The manager claimed at the beginning she was understanding that because I had a baby scheduling wouldn't be an issue. I was told I would get to work 15-20 hours, it was the complete opposite of that. The stylists there need to be trained more if they want to keep their clients or be considered a high end salon. When I decided enough was enough, a few people felt the same way I did and we all left this terrible location. Non stylists there did not consider that we were STYLISTS and not sales associates. End of story.

On the up side, I met some sweet people and miss them a lot. – less
I was miserable.
Salon Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 26, 2014
Pros: decent pay in salon for a chain. (better than regis.)
Cons: everything else. read my review.
I managed a salon at one of these stores in an affluent Dallas suburb for a few months but quickly left to go work as an independent stylist. Ulta runs their salons using a retail product-oriented mentality. The company does not understand that a salon is a service based business. I had to report to a retail store manager and district manager that were – more... only concerned with numbers and were quick to tell me how to do my job even though neither of them have any cosmetology credentials whatsoever.

The 'salon' inside an Ulta isn't really a salon but just a space in the store where hair is done. They want it open to encourage sales but such a design eliminates the personalized intimacy that's key to successful quality salons that promote their own brand, image and identity. Also, as a stylist I have to note the the stations were horrible. The power outlets were inside a drawer at the back and very difficult to get to and made my tools come unplugged constantly.

Another gripe is that you'd expect a perk of working in an Ulta salon would be the vast selection of styling products and tools. Nope. They only use Redken products and Chi tools, neither of which are very high on my list of preferences. And as a stylist don't expect to just come in and do hair. The salon staff is responsible for keeping the vast section of retail professional hair care products organized and dusted every day and assisting retail customers who want help in that section of the store. Yet they do not pay commission to salon staff on professional hair care product sales!

But here's the worst thing about being an Ulta salon employee. The store bathrooms are always by the salon and it's the salon staff's responsibility to clean the nasty public restrooms, including the toilets, each day!!! Try telling someone who just paid $15,000 to $20,000 for beauty school that their dream of working in the glamorous world of cosmetology includes scrubbing strangers' feces off the inside of a toilet bowl. (I'm not kidding about this job responsibility at all, btw.)

Personally, the thing I hated about working for Ulta the most was that I felt like the company subjected its employees to degrading 'security requirements'. Every employee, including managers, once in the store have to be searched by one of the store or department managers in view of the main entrance security camera before leaving the store at any time. This means, for example, if you smoke that you have to get a manager to escort you to the door and empty your pockets and pat yourself down to show you're not stealing anything just to go stand outside. Plus the manager has to search anything you're taking out of the store, so they search the employee's cigarette pack!!! I don't smoke but I wouldn't leave my scissors at work because they're too costly and every night I'd have to have my scissor case searched when I'd leave. Even when you're just going to lunch you have to submit to a search!!! If you get to work and then realize you've left something in your car, like I'd leave my scissors, you have to get an escort out the door and be searched even though you've only been at work for five minutes!! It's utterly ridiculous. And since it's retail you have to wait for a manager to finish with customers first, so if you have a limited amount of time and have already clocked out for lunch then that's just too bad for you. Sometimes when the store was really busy I'd have to wait ten or fifteen minutes just for someone to escort me to the front door and submit to a search!!! It's just degrading and infuriating.

The pay is the only somewhat redeeming factor. As a manager I made like $42k, which is great pay for a chain. Stylists start at 40% commission, with a minimum wage base. And the stylists are tiered allegedly based on experience but, again, it's really all about sales, not talent. You have to meet quarterly quotas for dollar sales, number of clients, number of chemical services performed, number of repeat clients, etc.

The cheapest haircut is $30 with a level 1 designer. Customers beware! Most of the Ulta stylists are coming straight out of beauty school or they're flakes who can't survive independently behind the chair. The chances that you're going to get your money's worth when paying $30 or more for a haircut at Ulta is unlikely. I had a crew of seven girls that I managed and only one of them had any real serious talent. (And as soon as she built her clientele up she quit and went across the street to lease. Good for her!!) Even my so-called Master stylists were pretty bad. They were no better than mediocre. Their haircuts were for sure not worth the $50 they cost!!!

Oh! One more complaint. Salon receptionists are only allowed in the top-grossing Ulta salons. (Again, it's the retail mentality that puts the emphasis on sales instead of service.) So the stylists have to cover the salon phone and front desk. You'll have a certain amount of time you're expected to do a service in (like 45-mins for a full service shampoo, haircut and style) but you have to constantly stop your service to answer the perpetually ringing phone and to deal with customers who want help at the desk or with professional retail hair care products. This is a disservice not only to the stylist but most especially to the client in your chair who is paying good money for your time and skills!!!

I would recommend Ulta only to stylists in transition as a temporary thing or to generic stylists who may be technically proficient but have no flair or creativity. Ulta does not promote a creative atmosphere, nor individualism in any way at all. – less
children clothing recommendations, productive with organization of clothing
associate Manager (Current Employee), Foxboro, MAJune 22, 2014
Pros: it was a great first job, a wonderful jumping off point for a teenager
Cons: very few hours
A typical shift would be myself manning the register and money control. Management was a joy to work under and co-workers were very easy to work with. I learned how to be responsible in my first job experience and cash management. It was very enjoyable because even though it was laborious retail it taught me a good amount on who I wanted to be as an – more... employee. – less
This company ruined the beauty experience
Manager (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDJune 21, 2014
Sioux Falls location is terrible, the management if full of liars and lazy , the GM messed up the store with her terrible management skills, left and proceeded to go to Sephora. I made many complaints to corporate but of course nothing was done.

I wish I could give stars.
Brief Summary
Associate Manager, Operations/Merchandising (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCJune 19, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: schedule
ULTA has provided me the ability to learn so much about the beauty industry without having a cosmetology license. It has been a great place to learn from my coworkers as well as our loyal customers. Must be customer driven and willingness to help and suggest to the clientele.
hardest part of the job is working there
Manager (Current Employee), Nashville, TnJune 18, 2014
Pros: free makeup and 50% off
Cons: threats, gossip
long hours are expected. Too many task without time to achieve results. Micro management and threats of being written up or terminated. Supervisors gossiping about other managers within the district and out of the district. Very unprofessional environment to be in. Would not recommend.
dont give up
Externship (Former Employee), Woodhaven, MIJune 17, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: no clientale its no fun
its a nice pretty store LOved it very nice people to work with all women but you have to build clientale in a store like this
Productive and fun workplace. Not too intense but serious enough to get the job done
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee), Tupelo, MsJune 16, 2014
Pros: goodies for accomplishments
Cons: the driving distance
This has been one of my most favorite places to work at! Not only because I love what I do but the company was really appreciative of us as employees and acknowledged and praised us for the many things we accomplished for their company and brand. VERY generous discounts and friendly staff and customers
Great job for a college student
Lead Cashier (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 16, 2014
Pros: gratis, 50% off salon services, easy
Cons: bad store discount, pay unevenness, low pay
Super easy job, pleasant environment, even if my manager paid me a dollar less an hour than the guy in my same position even though I'd been there longer and was a harder worker. Good discount, and so many free products!! Great salon discount, where as store discount was only ok.
Fun
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 15, 2014
Ulta was a super fun job! Its only down side was after holidays you'd only get 4-12 hours a week.

1 2 3 4 5

About ULTA

Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance wants to be every woman's ultimate beauty stop. The company operates┬ásome 450 stores in 43 states. – Read more