Ulta Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,303 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work if youre 100% dedicated to your job
Merchandise Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKJune 12, 2016
Loved the job overall, just did not think it was right that gm at the time harassed me for calling in because my mother was in the hospital, and the district manager did nothing about it. Other than that it was great! Benefits were perfect, medical, 401k, ect.
Pros
Great benefits, good hours, fun place to work
Cons
Not very good upper management, SW region district manager does not pay attention to her lower management staff
Fun and educational
Beauty Cosmetics and Salon Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 7, 2016
Like any retail job it has its ups and downs.
I wasn't great at doing makeup but I could do my own stuff. I was hired on as a cashier. I didn't expect to be working with only two other people on a normal basis. There needs to be more people working to assist customers than three people at a time.
I enjoyed my co-workers, they were extremely helpful in educating customers and myself on several products, and were generally some of the nicest men and women I've ever worked with.
Pros
Educational
Cons
hours
Loved meeting people and being able to do what I love
Beauty Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILMay 17, 2016
I learned new things everyday about makeup, customer service, and computers. The hardest part of the job was disappointing the customers that came in for a product that we did not have it in stock. My co-workers were very nice individuals we enjoyed working together as a team. Management was great! One of the reasons I worked for the company so long;I was hired for a seasonal position but things went well they did not want me to leave. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help someone feel beautiful.
Pros
Performing make overs
Cons
too many split hours and pay grade way to low
Great place to work with friendly people
Arch Expert (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 17, 2016
A typical day at work is greeting people and finding the right skin care that meets their needs. The management team is phenomenal and very supportive. The co-workers are friendly people and I love to be there with them. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with an unset unsatisfied customer, but we always make the moment right. The most enjoyable part would be seeing the smile on the customers face as they walk out the door.
Very nice pace to work, with plenty of room to grow with the company.
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 15, 2016
This company offers insurance and benefits that a lot of other companies do not. They work with you on your schedule and are understanding and flexible to your needs. Everyone works as a team. Management is always there when you need them. There is so much diversity, and everyone gets along very well. It's just an overall great company and fun job!
Pros
Products galore! Every girl's dream place!
Cons
You'll spend your entire paycheck there if you're not careful!
Great Learning Environment and Very Challenging
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 13, 2016
I would arrive early and prepare for my day by checking which children were due for their physicals. I had to organize my paperwork and organize children with medicaid insurance between the ages of 0-18. I would also assist the Medical Billing in submitting claims to insurances online. I also assisted in the calling center area by answering any questions patients had. Also directing phone calls to the proper office/person.
Pros
Fast paced
Great empowering values and amazing CEO with great vison
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 10, 2016
I love the company and what they stand for as far as where they want to grow and develop and utilizing technology and resources to improve every day life. A typical day at Ulta is non stop and there is never enough time to complete everything. I loved my team and co workers and the connections I have made through this company.
Pros
Gratis on amazing products, customer interaction
Cons
work life balance did not exist
I wish i could give less than a single star rating.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDMay 3, 2016
The management does not care about you as an employee or a person. You will have to defend yourself endlessly and fight for them to do the simplest things they are REQUIRED to do for you. As a previous beauty advisor, I can assure you, you'd rather work anywhere else. It took them about a month to get me set up for pay and by that time, I quit just a month later. It also took me 5 months to get pay I was supposed to receive for training and helping at another location under a different manager. You get better deals being a beauty insider here than the discount anyway
You're on your own
Master Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Holladay, UTMay 5, 2016
i loved my time here because i am a very self motivated person. i took the job to learn and that is exactly what happened. it is a culture that supports learning and personal growth.

it is impossible to move up in there advancement program. this is coming from someone who works very hard and extremely self motivated. the way they have it set up. the chances are slim that you would move up unless you wanted to dedicate multipule years to it
Fun place to work
MERCHANDISE SERVICE COORDINATOR / SALON MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work consist of managing individuals who do not support the work culture, and what I learned is that upper management have little or no support with regard to developing, coaching or mentoring. Hardest part of the job is the high level of external theft that occurs and the fact that the company implemented a foolish theft deterrent system in which one employee was actually accosted by a thief. The employee was later told by LP personnel that she provoked the thief because she asked her to leave the merchandise in the store.
Pros
Opportunity to network with some amazing customers
Cons
Virtually no breaks, no support from upper management

Want to know more about Ulta?

Ask a question
Great new experiences
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 24, 2016
This job is very rewarding in the sense of being able to help your customers feel better about themselves and help with confidence. The management was stable but there were just a few slip ups along the way which is expected; I also loved my co-workers they made the job even better. The most enjoyable part of my job was not having to dread showing up because I loved what I was doing.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Short breaks
Very unorganized management and H.R.
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyApril 25, 2016
H.R. never returns phone calls on interviewed potential employees, while they say we always get back to all candidates either way hired or not. Never happened, very unprofessional , bait and switch tactics, Ulta needs to have more Salon management operating the salon areas instead of district, and general managers that have no clue about the salon industry, they just focus on retail and what you can do for the company. The company goes through so many salon managers, something not right with this picture. Well all I have to say Ulta is you let great professional people slip through your fingers, as I constantly see the same help wanted ads for specific areas and locations over and over.
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
Great Job and experience
Seasonal Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Waterford, CTApril 18, 2016
My overall experience working at Ulta was great. My co-workers were a pleasure to work with. It was also very nice helping customers figure out what they wanted and needed. A typical work day was mostly busy. I usually worked the cash register, but when I was not at the cash register I was helping customers. There was not really many challenges, but when there were I was sure to ask for help and made sure I did my best. Overall working at Ulta was a joyful experience.
Fast, friendly, informative beauty service
Designer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 2, 2016
4-8 hour work days. Very fast paced environment. It was a joy working for Ulta. The management have always been understanding and accommodating. It is a drama-free, no nonsense environment. The goal as a team is to help each and every guest in the most efficient manner. The team is comprised of 3 different departments, each operating with its own set of skills. In the prestige department you will find some of the friendliest and most skilled makeup artists, who can answer any question on cosmetics in the blink of an eye. The cashiers are friendly, and can help locate product. The salon team are highly skilled and trained individuals who can answer any question that may come up about a hair issue, while also running a full service salon.
fun place
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 18, 2016
• Makes eye contact, smiles, and promptly acknowledges and greets each guest entering the store, or guests within close proximity while moving throughout the store.
• Offers friendly, knowledgeable and courteous service. Understands that guest service is the top priority and ceases performing tasks when guests are present and in need of assistance.
• Determines each guest’s needs and answers questions concerning products and services. If necessary, partners with management to ensure the guest’s needs are met.
• While serving guests, recommends additional and complementary products and/or services based on information provided by the guest or items already selected for purchase.
Organized, great management, great co-workers
Manager of Better Cosmetics (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILMay 13, 2016
was working sales manager
Check inventory
greet customers
explained my position and how I could assist customer
my manager helped me further develop my customer relations skill
management was very approachable
co-workers were great to work with
not spending my entire paycheck on their products!
making big sales
Pros
overall great company to work for
Cons
closing
Productive and Fun Workplace
Lead Beauty Adviser (Current Employee) –  McHenry, ILApril 17, 2016
A typical day at work for me involved catering to every guest's unique needs, giving excellent customer service, and tasking to complete necessary store tasks such as completing planograms, setting up the weekly ad, and putting out new product. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know my guests and finding out what products best fit their needs. If I can supply them with a product that will boost their self esteem, then I am thrilled and have successfully fulfilled my duties.
Ulta Beauty
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAApril 15, 2016
Loved the job at first, then I began to realize that the upper levels of management are heartless and don't truly get to know their associates and management staff. After 2 years of dedicated service to this company, I was terminated after not knowing about a policy change for associates. I was told I was incompetant and should not be running a store. It was very disrespectful on their part. Instead of training and making sure that other manageers and staff knew of the change, they decided to "separate employment" with me.
productive and fun work place
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, GAMay 25, 2016
interacting with customers and learning about retail. management always making sure things are the way there suppose to be. co workers are friendly and know how to work as a team. hardest part of the job is getting people to realize the benefits of rewards card. most enjoyable part of the job is working and interacting with people who love and enjoy makeup, accessories and skin care.
great job to have as your only job
Mentor OH (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OH 44060April 8, 2016
This job was a very good job and I was sad to leave but unfortunately had to leave due to the fact I had to go to school full time and they didn't agree with me having class on Saturday. I loved helping my costumers find the right thing and see the smile on their face. It was always fun to get to test the new makeup and facial products. There was never a dull moment when working here. You always had someone to help or something to straighten or something to put away or clean. The co-workers were always so nice and never seemed to be upset or irritated. There was always a smile on every ones face.
Pros
long lunches, great co-workers
Cons
not flexible enough