ULTA Employee Reviews

Fun Place to work.. at the benefit Brow Bar... Laughter is the best Cosmetic..
Freelance Esthetician (Current Employee), Mid town Los AngelesAugust 31, 2015
Pros: All the product knowledge and training
Cons: Healthcare &teamplayers
As a highly motivated beauty skin care professional at Ulta/Benefit , I have learned various techniques in waxing etc. I sold and was very successful in many of the top brands of skin products such as; Perricone MD, Juice Beauty, Kinerase, It Cosmetics, Mario Badescu Skin Care and StriVectin to name a few. In addition, I was the lead salesperson for three (3) months consecutively working the Benefit Cosmetics Skin care line. The most enjoyable part of the job is Loving taking ownership in what you do.
Worst Job Ever/ Didn't feel safe at work!
Co Manger (Former Employee), SacramentoAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Some gratis but not worth the drama of ULTA
Cons: Breaks..sometimes none..Pay..Not feel safe at work! Horriable!
Let me start off by saying ULTA was a great place to work ten years ago. Now you'll be fighting off thieves and trying to save your stores product in lou of not getting written up for not doing enough to save your stores merchandise. Associates were and are getting hurt..cut with a knife..stabbed..punched...I was almost assaulted...sucks! ULTA has no plans of hiring security to make their employees and guest feel safe. That's just the LP issues. Upper management is disconnected with store management. Communication and organization in stores is horrid. This is a kids job for management for sure..not grown professionals. The pay is under scale and forget about balance in your life away from work...schedule changes almost daily and gratis is few and far between. Former Co Manager/Sac Area
Great Vales
Manager (Current Employee), AtlantaAugust 26, 2015
Great Values & discount! The discount is great. Should really take time to listen to what employees have to say. Feel like they put on a good show of listening but don't.
Great Place to Learn and Grow
General Manager (Current Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 24, 2015
Ulta Beauty is a fabulous place to work for a beauty enthusiast. Ulta Beauty provides great education and career opportunities.
Agressive growth organization, led by a winner.
Sr. Recruiter - Supply Chain (Former Employee), Bolingbrook, ILAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Solid salary, benefits, growth opps and perks.
Cons: Long hours at times, and collaboration is not always perfect.
ULTA is an excellent company to work for, and is led by one of the more dynamic people in the country. Their growth goals are lofty, but attainable, and for people looking to continue their career growth, there are not many better places to work.
One of the worst places I've ever worked!
Arch Expert (Former Employee), KennewickAugust 20, 2015
Pros: pay, free makeup perks, discount
Cons: management
Managers were bosses and not leaders.
Most co-workers were great but you always have your "bad apples."
I, along with others, experienced racial discrimination because we were NOT a certain ethnicity. The general manager showed favoritism towards others of her same ethnicity. Coworkers as well as customers noticed the favoritism.
Overall, the pay and benefits were more than decent but the environment and stress was not worth it.
The drama and gossip while working there was worse than high school. This is mostly due to managers.
Could be better in certain areas
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), Madison, WIAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Gratis
Cons: Used gratis
My experience at Ulta was good for just getting exposed to the makeup world in an actual store.
I believe benefits could be better for workers, I did not get real training, just how to use the registers and open and close the store.
I wish I could have spent more time with my clients, we lost a few clients because we did not have people who could dedicate their time to the client and someone to – more... locate products. I learned most pf my knowledge about product through them with having to buy most products. I would either work at register or work in prestige.
Most of my management was very negative and I dreaded to go to work to just hear complaining and negativity. The best part of the job itself was being to share tips and tricks with my clients about how to use a product or what t use it for. Mainly just having or building that connection with my client. – less
All things beauty all in one place!
Manager (Current Employee), Davenport, IAAugust 18, 2015
A fun fast growing company with many opportunities if you are able to relocate. It is great to transform someone's day by adding something beautiful.
Efficient place to work for a student part time.
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee), Corpus Christi, TXAugust 18, 2015
I like working at Ulta it's been a fun experience although I am currently looking for something that will allow me to do more and start working on my path to a full time career.
Fun atmosphere and fast pace work
hostess, S/A, runner (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 17, 2015
I enjoyed working here. I learned a lot about the diversity of customers. I had a few friends as co-workers so that made the environment more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was working a double with only one short break.
Exciting growing company
Recieving clerk (Current Employee), Greenwood, INAugust 14, 2015
Pros: Clean new facility, great upper management
Cons: None so far
Love the company culture, the interaction with employees and supplier.
Gaining more supervisor experience, and the ability to grow within the company is promising.
Have awesome co-workers!
Beauty store
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), Harker Heights, TXAugust 12, 2015
Pros: Employee discount
Cons: Empoyees
Store with makeup, hair care, nail care, facial care, ect. Professional salon located inside the store. Prestige makeup brands and mass makeup brands as well. Working here was a great environment if you love makeup like I do. I think i would have loved the job a lot more if i just worked around different people. I only worked there a short time and got mistreated a few times by the former employees. I was given tasks without knowing any knowledge on how to do them. When i asked questions on them, i was resulted in comments such as "Are you stupid?" Like i was supposed to know how to do something i have never done before.
basic
Prestige Manager (Current Employee), north haven ctAugust 12, 2015
Pros: dealing with an awesome customer base
Cons: not a supportive team, most employees are hard to work with/ get along with
no communication
not a well run business
few employees are easy to work with and actually do what their job description states. Most employees are not only hard to work with/ get along with, but barely do what they are suppose to.
most enjoyable part is getting to work with customers especially when they come back in and request to deal with only me.
Wonderful co workers and management was amazing
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), West Jordan, UtahAugust 7, 2015
Pros: wonderful coworkers
Cons: no benefits, not good pay
Great place to work. Wonderful people who are always willing to help you with any questions you may have on any product. Perfect place to start learning more about the beauty industry. I learned a lot about different lines of make up, hair product and appliances.
Fantastic place to work
Guest Coordinator (Current Employee), Orland Park, ILAugust 7, 2015
Working in the ULTA salon is vastly different than working at the front end of the store. There is an entirely different culture that is warm and inviting.
Great place to work at.
Cashier/Task (Former Employee), Carlsbad, CAAugust 7, 2015
Pros: Great discounts
Cons: early shifts
Stock was pretty easy
being a cashier was fun even tho they are pretty strict
the manager is was a great person and i love the fact that you can express yourself and not have to cover up when having tattoos or pirecing
Ulta
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Smyrna, GAAugust 6, 2015
Pros: hair salon discount, learning about new products, rewards program
Cons: coupons exclude a lot, the pay, working holidays with long lines, but that is expected
Enjoyed working with my co-workers and the manager. It was exciting getting new shipments of new products to introduce to our customers. Working truck and shipment was my favorite. Being a cashier got a little bit repetitive sometimes, but it was overall easy work. Cons would be hours are dependent on sales and are easily cut.
Could be an awesome career but it needs a major change
Associate Manager of People (Current Employee), FloridaAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Great place for those who want to help people feel good about themselves, the people you work with and the discount
Cons: Hours! Not enough given on payroll to cover the business needs!
I LOVE Ulta as a whole! I really love all of the girls I work with. The room for growth is definitely there. The employee discount is really good and it is wonderful to go to a job where you help others feel good about themselves.
However...and this could be a deal breaker for a lot of managers out there. You cannot "do" your job because of constant low hours allotted you are on the register for about 7 of your 8 scheduled hours. High shrink because you cannot "manage" your floor. Missed opportunity with coaching associates because you cannot be there to see what is going on. It does make you feel as though you are not able to complete your responsibilities daily which takes a toll on you mentally.
Worst Company
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Gratis, employee discount
Cons: Low pay and hours, no breaks, ridiculous corporate expectations
I have been working for Ulta Beauty for a little over a year.
I went into the position thinking I was being hired as a makeup artist. Boy, was I wrong. My job was to stand behind a cash register all day long.
During the first few months I worked an average of 15 hours a week, if not less. You can not pay bills off of 15 hours a week, but my managers made it very difficult to accommodate a second – more... job because they want you to have completely open availability- even though they will only schedule you 12 hours.
And during those 12 hours a week, you REALLY work for you small hourly wage. Ulta as a whole sets unrealistic expectations for their employees.
Another thing that really bothered me is even though we were always cutting hours, we were always hiring new employees! It is silly to me to give 20 employees 10 hours each than 10 employees 20 hours each.
Shortly after I transitioned into a management role and got to see how the back end of the business works.
Ulta does not care at all about their employees. We cut hours daily due to being over on payroll, yet our guests were constantly complaining on our online surveys that we are understaffed and no one is ever available to help them. It also very stressful to take time to help a guest when you have 5 projects/tasks that need to be completed before you leave or you will be penalized.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend. There is definitely advancement potential. But I would never want to be a general manager for Ulta.
It's not a pleasant business to work for. – less
Great place for contract work!
End User Service Specialist (Former Employee), Greenwood, INAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Very Clean!
Cons: Huge building! 700, 000 sq.ft.!
Clean and healthy environment that I were given the chance at performing the necessary roles and tasks to get the building up and running!
Headquarters