Ulta Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,280 reviews matching the search
I became a Supervisor within 6mths with the training and the hands on experiecne that they provided at the time
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILSeptember 22, 2015
It was a fun place to work at. They use to provide us with the best training and tools that they had at the time. They compensated us for our work by taking us on outings and bonuses. The training was great and enjoyable and I learned a lot about business from the time that I was an employee
Pros
Great Benefits, Training
Cons
Management is very poor now. No regard for work that was being done.
loved working here
Designer (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJanuary 6, 2016
great place to grow as a cosmetologist. i loved the work environment, everyone was very pleasant to work with. i miss it there.
Pros
great education, room for growth, great work environment
Cons
bad benefits, not enough hours available
see resume
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAJanuary 29, 2016
see resume - good company.. i was offered a closer job to home and more hours and better benefits to which it just was the choice that worked best for me.
One of the worst places I've ever worked!
Arch Expert (Former Employee) –  KennewickAugust 20, 2015
Managers were bosses and not leaders.
Most co-workers were great but you always have your "bad apples."
I, along with others, experienced racial discrimination because we were NOT a certain ethnicity. The general manager showed favoritism towards others of her same ethnicity. Coworkers as well as customers noticed the favoritism.
Overall, the pay and benefits were more than decent but the environment and stress was not worth it.
The drama and gossip while working there was worse than high school. This is mostly due to managers.
Pros
pay, free makeup perks, discount
Cons
management
sales associate
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 24, 2016
Good company. Great co workers. Employee benefits are good as well. Very busy and up beat work environment to work at. I enjoyed working with this company.
My Life at Ulta
Prestige Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXJanuary 5, 2016
What can I say? I love working with people. It makes my day to help someone out of a slump or to put a smile on their face or a tear in their eye because they've never felt so beautiful. The job is very rewarding and my co-workers are amazing. The insurance benefits are awesome.

That's where the positivity ends. The bonus plan is not very impressive, especially since the goals get higher and higher, but the bonuses stay stagnant. Raises every year are well known joke among managers. There are very few men in the ranks, but the ones who are there get preferential treatment and promotions before more deserving and tenured female employees. They also get less push-back when seeking increases.

Ulta is a company for women, employed mostly with women, but the work life balance is non existent, heck our CEO is a woman, but in recent years, we have been forced to work Thanksgiving day all the way through to Black Friday, with skeleton staffing and zero breaks, and according to emails from our CEO we were on a volunteer basis and should be grateful for the time and half we get for working the overnight shift. Training is a joke, and unless you are paired up with a manager who really cares, you are SOL. They give you minimal hours to run the store. This means the store, on any given day, might be manned by one manager....and they wonder why guest surveys are low.

I could go on and on, but I will end with this. There is a small percentage of career employees who have no desire to leave the company. They are mostly married women who have two income households. For the rest of
  more... us, we are on a constant search for a company that values their employees more than a 20 cent once a year.  less
Pros
Great health insurance.
Cons
NO work life balance.
A company that asks a lot from their team with low recognition.
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, caSeptember 9, 2015
There is a lot of room for growth within this company, but very little training other than learning as you go and video modules that don’t really teach you much. This company asks a lot out of each person without giving the hours or man power to get it done in a proper manner. They do not consider you more important than the products on the shelves. Management gets written up if they do not prevent a theft from happening (ex: theft occurring while manager on duty is customer servicing someone else is somehow still that managers fault).
The only good thing about working for this company is when the vendors come in and teach you more about their products.
Other pros would be the customers who leave happier and feeling more beautiful about themselves after you have helped them find the right products to “cover” or “enhance” what they are working with, the people I work with are like a family to me and we all manage to have good team work.
Pros
the customers, the team
Cons
lack of recognition, lack of time to do anything, lack of communication skills, poor healthcare benefits, very few full time positions offered to save money
company has lost sight of what is important
Inventory (Current Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJanuary 16, 2016
Do not value their employees. The workload is not balanced and they continue to pile more on. Supply Chain specifically has scored low on company culture for the past two years and current management does not seem to know how to address and improve their work environment. As long as the company does well they will continue to treat employees poorly.
Pros
employee discount off product and services
Cons
no work life balance. Upper managment sucks the life out of you
Agressive growth organization, led by a winner.
Sr. Recruiter - Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILAugust 24, 2015
ULTA is an excellent company to work for, and is led by one of the more dynamic people in the country. Their growth goals are lofty, but attainable, and for people looking to continue their career growth, there are not many better places to work.
Pros
Solid salary, benefits, growth opps and perks.
Cons
Long hours at times, and collaboration is not always perfect.
This job is amazing
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 12, 2015
If I could rate them higher than a 5 I totally would. The company is awesome with great incentives and benefits for someone. The district that I work in is great. Everything is awesome and the managers give you respect and level with you with your satisfaction and dissatisfaction.
Pros
Managemet, compensation, environment
Cons

Want to know more about Ulta?

Ask a question
productive and fun work place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAOctober 5, 2015
New challenges daily
Cross trained in various departments throughout the warehouse
tapped into potential I didn't realize I had
Pros
advancement opportunties, Great benifits, Great pay
Cons
sometimes i wouldnt reach 40 hours
very productive job working with a great team
Task Associate (Former Employee) –  Holmdel, NJFebruary 26, 2016
I was responsible for receiving freight and sorting items and stocking shelves. We had a great team of people working together to obtain our goals.I especially enjoyed setting up new displays and planograms for new,discontinued and promotional items.I liked the management team and was flexible if they needed me to work on short notice. I also was asked to work to set up for a brand new store.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
lack of hours available to me after 3 1/2yrs of employment
Judgemental and unfair work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TexasJune 4, 2015
I worked at Ulta Beauty in Wichita Falls, Tx for a year and a half. During that time I showed to be one of our top result-producing cashier and although I did receive a "promotion", no pay raise was involved and no change in work duties were applied. I did get one raise at my one year mark...a $.20 raise.Also, the hours I was promised (20 hours a week AT LEAST) didn't seem to exist. I worked only between 10 and 15 hours a week. The managers there were very into their given power. They loved to boss employees of lower "rank" around and give them unnecessary duties that were not listen in their job descriptions. Other co-workers were very snooty and made it clear they were better than I. I will never work at another Ulta or any company under the same ownership.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No hours given, authority issues
Ulta was a cool company to work for especially if you like make up and beauty products!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJuly 27, 2015
The pay was adequate for the size of the store. It is tough to run a salon along with the store, but I found it interesting to learn that biz too. As a store manager one of the fun things was going to the store manager conference and getting all the free gratis!
It can be challenging as a General Manager because you may be the only salaried person in the building so you make up for hours when someone calls in sick.
Pros
benefits, gratis, people
Cons
small box store so hours can be long if someone calls in sick.
Easy but bad managment
Beauty Advisor/ Make-up Artist . (Former Employee) –  Township of Fairfield, OHFebruary 10, 2016
It was easy. I love make up but low pay mean girl management. I was one of the only mother's and went to school. But they always wanted me to close. Not a good fit for me. I'm not a mean girl.. Jus sayin...
Pros
Win free makeup. Discount
Cons
Mean girl drama. Short breaks no advancement low pay mean managers
It was a fun environment for the most part..
Beauty advisor (Former Employee) –  midvale, UtahJune 23, 2015
I like how before we started work we got together and talk about our goals that are set for the day. My managers were encouraging and they did want us to do the best we could.
The hardest part about the job I didn't like was that we just had too many sales pitches and having customers trying to come to our events when they are at the registers. I felt it overwhelmed the customers cause most of them wanted to just pay for their stuff and go. There was about 5 or 6 things we needed to tell them about plus our events. What I liked most about the job was getting to learn about new products and everyday was a new learning experience in the beauty world.
Pros
Getting new samples and gratis
Cons
you cant make any hours, benefits are not that great
Great values
Prestige Manager/ Associate Manager(temp) (Current Employee) –  ALBANY, GASeptember 13, 2015
I have always loved to help the guest with whatever it is they are looking for or may have questions or concerns about.
I love promoting what Ulta has to offer to each guest. It is a place you can enjoy getting the hair look you have always wanted as well as top of the line skin treatments /facials and also enjoy a brow or lash service.
I am one of the original managers since the store opened. I love the employees they keep the enthusiasm going in the atmosphere.
Since we have opened i have expanded my retail knowledge every day . From giving a " WOW" experience to each guest to inspiring beauty everywhere.
Every day I walk in I am greeted just as if i were a guest and look at each day as how can I improve always.
The hardest part i would have to say is the coverage in the store we hear it from our guest surveys and the employees feel it to. I have learned to wear many hats at one time. with short staff i have had to help the guest with their selections, book appointments , answer the phone ,make a money drop, make an employee a new name badge, answer back door, help more guests and check them out, answer the salon phone and make appointments all in 20 -30 minutes as well as maintaining a smile and meeting my sales goal .
All in all I enjoy what i Do at Ulta .
Pros
good benefits and employee discount
Cons
schedules, staffing
Energetic and professional workplace.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAFebruary 18, 2016
Going into work was always a positive experience, the good attitudes of the management team made it easy to help them.
I learned a lot of about the cosmetic industry, going in, I was pretty much blind.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all of the people that would come in, some of the customers that would return my kindness, could always brighten my day.
The hardest part of the job was keeping it clean. Due to all of the breakable merchandise, many items were accidentally broken. I found myself cleaning a lot of perfume bottles and nail polish bottles.
The loss prevention system at Ulta is a bit inadequate.
Pros
Friendly environment, flexible hours, great training program.
Cons
Often kept past scheduled hours.
Gives you plenty of resources to grow with the company. Hires externally often though
Assistant Manager of People (Current Employee) –  S, TxJune 24, 2015
Retail is a high stress job no matter where you are. You really have to be patient with lots to do and not a lot of labor hours to do it with. There are a lot of resources provided to learn about other positions within the company. Opportunities can be limited if you are not willing to relocate. They take external applicants much more seriously for management positions than internal ones.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
mediocre pay
Perfect till new management came in and cleaned house
Associate Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTFebruary 29, 2016
High stress level
Amazing life challenges and life experiences
A great opportunity to interact with clients and a multiple range of personalities.
NO training
NO work life balance
A lot of working off the clock
Pros
Work relationships to build a bigger and better future without Utla
Cons
NO work/life balance, no training for your current position. They walked all over all employees regardless their position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.