ULTA

ULTA Employer Reviews

Do Not Recommend as a Career
General Manager (Current Employee), FloridaMarch 12, 2015
Pros: benefits package: medical, dental, 401k, vacation days
Cons: not enough payroll; can't perform developemental meetings, no office time for hr functions/recruiting (this is on your day off)
As a GM, you should be developing a staff to sell to guests and the managers to get promoted. The reality is that you are cashiering, setting planograms, cleaning, and recruiting. There are not even enough hours to overlap for GMs to take a lunch break; if they do then the store is left with a manager and a prestige associate when there are 20+ guests in the store needing help. Then the guest service score suffers and the GM is held accountable to that. Work life balance is non-existent as GMs need to work 12-14 hour days at least 5 days a week to just make the payroll expectation.

If the company would allow payroll to develop the team then they would make more money overall because people would be able to sell and educate the guest; average dollar per trans would increase and the company have happier guests, happier associates, and more profits.

The company overall has great potential, but cutting stores to bare-bones and expecting the guests to "sell themselves" on products that they need educating on is unrealistic. In order to teach the guests and staff, there needs to be payroll given to have some overlap of shifts. If the company doesn't need sales people to educate the guest, then close the stores and just have on-line shopping and promotions. But don't pretend like we are a beauty store who can educate when we can't get off the register to even say hello to someone who's shopping. An average store has 250 people per day, and 2 people opening and 2 people closing to help all those people and deliver "an exceptional experience" to them.
Fun experience in cosmetic industry.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 10, 2015
Pros: free makeup every so often
Cons: no benefits
I had a great time working with customers and giving advice. I enjoyed how fast paced it was. I learned how to keep my composure when customers are unhappy and how to help them.
Upbeat, positive work enviroment
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee), Carrollton, TXMarch 9, 2015
Pros: great discount, learning opportunities from fellow employees
Cons: few hours
I absolutely love working at Ulta. The staff and management are so friendly and willing to help and teach whenever they can. It is a great creative outlet. I love helping customers find products they need as well as showing them products they are not familiar with in order to broaden their horizons.
Productive and fun place to work
Arch Expert (Former Employee), Odessa, TXMarch 9, 2015
Working in Ulta Beauty was one of my best experience. I learned so many new things. The management was great. All co-workers were friendly, and very helpful. I can honestly say I enjoyed every day working there and helping people out and putting a smile on there face.
Never bored
General Manager (Former Employee), south carolinaMarch 8, 2015
Pros: samples of products, gmc, healthcare
Cons: work life balance, holidays
Work life balance is a constant battle. Great culture and you are never bored. Operationally growing. More payroll is needed to execute tasks.
Poor salon management
Esthetician (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: fun environment, great products
Cons: babied by management
I enjoyed being here, the staff was great to work with! My one thing that made me not want to come in to work was my (salon) manager. She would baby me and other employees. She acts like she knew everything.
Good for entry level job
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAMarch 3, 2015
For a college student to start working it is ideal to work here. I've learn customer service skills and team base projects.
upper management is not interested in your personal life or work balance
Management (Former Employee), OhioMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good benefits, above average pay scale
Cons: work weekends, nights and short breaks
I worked for this company for 2 years and it was a rocky start to say the least-new store, new management & horrible work attitude surrounded me. I received little training & although the steps were all introduced to me-i think they were out of order(which made it more difficult than it should of been) There was a huge turnover and unfair "rules" for some and others seemed to not have to follow them.
Sales Clerk
Retail-Cashier (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 2, 2015
My routine at ulta was greeting and servicing guest. I learned that each customer is different. Ulta was a fun and adventurous place o work, especially dealing with the customers and their different outlook out makeup and etc.
Poor Management
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), sebring, floridaFebruary 25, 2015
Utla has many opportunities to offer but management was horrible to work with. I loved my co-workers, it seems like everyone got along, but store manager was not equip to handle staff. Most of the girls that worked there including myself were new to retails and managers were disrespectful when employees asked questions on how to stock and set up store. Never knew what days I would be off and they waited till last day to give schedules. I did enjoy the discounts that they had to offer for employees and how they are welling to give employees a chance on trying new things.
Productive, high volume store
Associate Manager (Current Employee), Columbus, GAFebruary 24, 2015
Overall Ulta is a good company in providing exceptional customer service. Meeting the needs of the customer is always first priority. We always make sure each person leaves with the ultimate guest experience.
I enjoyed working with so many cosmetic products but don't agree with their business structure
Prestige Manager (Former Employee), Brunswick, GAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: product exposure
Cons: short breaks, poor management, low morale, no support, no training
I was responsible for tracking sales for the prestige cosmetics department. Training team members on new product and makeup application techniques. I absolutely loved my specific job! However, I did not agree with the ethics or management style of this company.
Productive fun work place
Hairstylist/makeup artist (Former Employee), Carlsabad, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: meeting new people everyday
Cons: never got breaks only lunches, minimum wage
A typical day at work would be going around the store asking people if they needed help finding anything, handing out business cards and coupons.
I learned a lot more techniques with color applications..
My co-workers were amazing people, very helpful with everything, made you feel at home.
The hardest part of the job was leaving, it was a nice place to work just had more high hopes about it, I had bigger expectations and it never reached them.
Most enjoyable part of the job was having my client leave happy, that's really all I want out of people, or them to be happy with what you have done.
Nice place to work, co-workers are very helpful and friendly
Cashier/Merchandising (Current Employee), Stroudsburg, PAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: friendly place to work
Cons: not enough hours
I love coming to work everyday and learning new beauty products and tips. my co- workers are very helpful when asked questions. the hardest part of my job is satisfying each and every customer.the most enjoyable is when i get to merchandise.
OK
General Store Manager (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALFebruary 24, 2015
The Company is a great place to work, sometimes it can be stressful, but what job is not stressful. There is a lot to do,but you are not allowed in the office and you will work with one on one coverage I mean it will be a manager and a worker all day. they give you a lot to get done with little hours to do it in. The hardest part OF THE JOB IS WORKING WITH FEW HOURS.
Wonderful attmosphere bnut high emplyee turn over
Designer (Current Employee), Council Bluffs, IAFebruary 22, 2015
Ulta is a wonderful and fun place to work. They have on going training for salon and retail members. Only problem was they have a really high employee turn over rate due to having to work retail hours. Example you are open every holiday and hours vary each week. If you are someone who wants a fun fast paced and very flexible work schedule Ulta is the place for you.
Super fun retail work
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: free samples
Cons: low pay
Cashier and beauty consultant at Ulta Beauty. Fun environment, great employees, demanding but flexible managers. Always left a smile on my face at the end of the day even during the busiest of shifts.
Good job for someone in school
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee), Lees Summit, MOFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: you get discounts on makeup.
Cons: no benefits for part time workers. don't provide enough hours to live on.
Job is okay. The enjoyable part about the job is that you're able to learn about different brands of makeup. Wouldn't recommend to someone looking to move up in the company. Only are given decent work hours during the holiday season.
Overall nice working environment
Hair Stylist (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 17, 2015
Overall nice working environment. Customers are usually nice. Very clean environment. Usually all workers are positive and shifts go smoothly without drama.
Productive and fun work environment.
Associate Manager (Current Employee), Richfield, MNFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: great leadership, excellent opportunities to grow, great company support
A typical day at work involves opening registers, conducting budget analyzation for the day and week, checking e-mails, performing daily task duties, servicing guests, and helping employees achieve their daily goals. My years as a manager of Ulta taught me the importance of working as a team. Ulta is a "guest service" oriented company; we will do anything (within reason) to make sure the customer leaves happy. I enjoyed that this company gives me the opportunity to do what is right for the guest. I never found anything difficult about working here; I see everything as a learning opportunity. Everything takes some getting used to when you start a new career. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping my employees grow within the company. I will teach anyone what I know, and I make sure it's a gratifying process.

About ULTA

Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance wants to be every woman's ultimate beauty stop. The company operates some 450 stores in 43 states. – Read more

ULTA Salaries