ULTA Employee Reviews

Prob not the best place for an established esthi
dermalogica Skin Therapist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 3, 2012
ULTA was def a stepping stone for an esthetician coming out of school. The hours were terrible and asking for a sat or sunday off was impossible. Its 40hrs in the location i was at but the GM would always send me home because ULTA wasnt making its goals for the employees pay. Still to this day have no idea why that was! My steamer was used when i first started at ULTA (I started when the new store opened) but the steamer would spit very hot water on clients and i complained many times and they would send in my steamer which would take a month to get back to me and then it i receieved my steamer back it was as if the package had never been opened and was sent back the exact way i sent it and sure enought it was the same steamer and it had the same issue. No one inculding the GM and salon manager knew nothing about skin care or dermalogica it was very hard for someone to help me out when i first started especially since i didnt know very much about dermalogica. It was not a great experice and for 8.00 an hour is not worth it. They tell you that you can commission which means which ever is greater they will pay you ONLY PROBLEM with that is that they constantly disount your services usually by 50% so you have to work that much harder to compensate your reg pay. I loved my co workers it was a fun girly place to be but at the end of the day it wasnt worth my stay of 6months. And the ulta in abq NM cant keep an esthi employed for longer then a month since i left.. I wonder why that is! Just saying:) I dont like to be negative and i am thankful ULTA took a chance on me coming out of  more... school and it did help me find what i deserve as an employee and like said it was just a stepping stone!!  less
Pros
free gratis
Cons
hours cut, pay low, hours of work, cant get time off when needed, not enough formal education on dermalogica, poor managment

Comment – June 28, 2012

hey i'm an esthetician too..and the only reason why a steamer would spit is if you aren't using distilled water, you've added oils inside the water, or it was dirty. best of luck to you though!! hope you are at a better place :)

Manager micro manged everyone poor morale
Prestige Manager (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INMarch 19, 2015
i worked for Ulta as a prestige MAnager for 10 months, loved my job, servicing guests, got great feedback via online survey.
However, the young gen manager I felt was threatened
by my knowledge and 15 years of experience 10 in man agent. She wanted no feedback on how to get moral up and treating guests as customers, she became very defensive. She came to me with an unethical accusation a new people manager had with a associate. When questioned about it and it's unprofessional she quickly blamed the associate instead of manager. She apologized when she realized her actions were unfactual and blamed the innocent employee. I spoke w employee she called hotline and complained no response. I then said that this was a defamation of character and I'd like to set and discuss this. She became frantic and said I should have got al facts I'm sorry. I still wanted to talk to upper dm etc. the next day she said we including DM will sit and discuss, but I must not talk to anyone till she got back from mini vacation, after that and my few days up I was sitting with her and loss prevention. Basically she did everything in her power even using product I bought gave they did not mark and I brought in and immediately gave to management, she let it sit for months while I asked can u please confirm so I can take. It was a total set up because of her unethical inexperienced practices. She is always late verified by employees and management yet wrote others up for it. She did not have to clock in. I asked for a transfer prior to her due to accusations as well as dm everything was fine and then she
  more... retaliated. I would absolutely not reccomend the Plainfield location.....  less
Pros
discounts, make-up customer interaction
Cons
management, half to beg for breaks and some time get grief for it!
Corporate-driven, stressful environment with no real concern for employees
Sales Associate/Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXDecember 16, 2012
I've never regretted leaving this job as abruptly as I did. The best part of being a manager was getting nice freebie products. Corporate expected way too much out of you, especially if you were a manager. You were supposed to deliver excellent customer service to everyone who walks through the door as well as do time consuming projects for around the store while still giving excellent customer service as well as trying to deter thieves who came in, often times on a regular basis. That's right-you were expected to confront people who were stealing even if you were not comfortable doing that. Depending on who you confronted, it could be a scary experience, especially when it's obvious they may not be right in the head. Corporate constantly cut employee hours and expected certain things to get done while having practically no staff during some shifts (really-most of the time it was just me and one other associate at night, which is not safe). I never felt like the company really cared about the employees, just the dollar signs. They did not put a huge emphasis on safety and integrity. The people who move up in this company are usually favorites who know how to talk to certain people. I put a lot of sweat and tears into this company for three and a half years and definitely did not feel rewarded for it. Ulta is convenient to work for if you're just looking for work while going to school or finding other employment, but other than that steer clear. This job could be so much fun if corporate didn't suck the life out of every employee. I'm not exaggerating. I did meet some great people  more... there though. Sometimes the coworkers and certain managers are what keep you going.  less
Do Not Recommend as a Career
General Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaMarch 12, 2015
As a GM, you should be developing a staff to sell to guests and the managers to get promoted. The reality is that you are cashiering, setting planograms, cleaning, and recruiting. There are not even enough hours to overlap for GMs to take a lunch break; if they do then the store is left with a manager and a prestige associate when there are 20+ guests in the store needing help. Then the guest service score suffers and the GM is held accountable to that. Work life balance is non-existent as GMs need to work 12-14 hour days at least 5 days a week to just make the payroll expectation.

If the company would allow payroll to develop the team then they would make more money overall because people would be able to sell and educate the guest; average dollar per trans would increase and the company have happier guests, happier associates, and more profits.

The company overall has great potential, but cutting stores to bare-bones and expecting the guests to "sell themselves" on products that they need educating on is unrealistic. In order to teach the guests and staff, there needs to be payroll given to have some overlap of shifts. If the company doesn't need sales people to educate the guest, then close the stores and just have on-line shopping and promotions. But don't pretend like we are a beauty store who can educate when we can't get off the register to even say hello to someone who's shopping. An average store has 250 people per day, and 2 people opening and 2 people closing to help all those people and deliver "an exceptional experience" to them.
Pros
benefits package: medical, dental, 401k, vacation days
Cons
not enough payroll; can't perform developemental meetings, no office time for hr functions/recruiting (this is on your day off)
Great Concept Ran Poorly
manager (Former Employee) –  OregonFebruary 28, 2013
Such a great concept for women but ran poorly from people with high business degrees and Office Depot backgrounds. Never walking a step in the beauty industry. If you read ALL the comments there are all simularities. You can not effectively run a beauty store with 3 associates...1 manager, 1 cashier, 1 beauty consultant. Then when hours get cut, you are down to 2 people and they are cashiering all day. You step into any Nordstom or Macys and you will have 10 to 20 BA's at all times. You can not service women who come into Ulta wanting the best of best service with no one on the sales floor as hours are cut daily. Poor cashiers working 4 hours a week. How do you develop to that? Please ULTA get it together. There is plenty of money to staff each store properly,
MANAGEMENT!!!! As you never get anything done as there is never enough staff to allow this. Watch out for the CULT! If you are not friends with the leader you will never get promoted. You can work your tail end off and nothing is ever good enough. Making you feel terrible each day. Some of this comes from lack of hours, the other comes from such micro-manage power tripped GM's that employ their friends to feel good about themselves.. And if you are not liked, watch out as you will begin to get accused of non-proof/fact situations of a he said/she said game. But if you are amoung the lucky ones who are cult followed then you can steal, lie, threaten and even show your bare butt to all your associates - AND IT'S OK.

Such a wonderful concept...Amazing concept, but so many opportunities that make it unbarable and sad to try
  more... and service all these women who deserve the best but don't get it. Just a company ran poorly.  less
Pros
great gratis and vendor relations
Cons
lack of hours, favortism, ran poorly
Place is a joke!
Key holder (Former Employee) –  VegasJune 30, 2012
Ulta is a joke. I was a key holder which is now a merchandise and service coordinator which had 80-90 hrs worth of work and I was only given 25-30 hrs a week. I would get cut or less hrs then asked why my work was not done. When I was there, I would be stuck doing things around the store and helping people on the floor because we only had 2 ppl in the entire store.

For purposes of keeping the store running, you are considered a manager and attend management meetings. However, for purposes of pay, benefits, bonuses, vacation, sick time...you know all the perks, you're considered a supervisor which means you don't get that stuff. You work just as hard meeting numbers the corprate office sends out and forecast than anyone else and you get nothing. It is seriously a slap in the face. All the other managers that they say you are over ie Prestige and Salon, make more than you. Even the girls who wax brows make more than this title and you are their boss!

The discount is hardly worth it for retail at only 25%. 2-3 times a yr they send members a 20% coupon, I use that now and it's pretty much the same. Holiday is nice at 45% for prestige items.

Regular associates get no hrs. It really isn't worth it to work there if you aren't a part of management. I was also looked over for promotions because I was in school receiving higher education. They frown upon hiring people who don't want to stay in retail all their life and "coach" them out the door. That is what happened to me. They knew I wanted a higher paying position and still would not promote me even when I showed improvement and
  more... learned my job quickly and taught it to myself.  less
Pros
50% off salon. didn't use it though, no one could do hair!
Cons
no break, no benefits without taking half your check, no bonuses, horrible pay.
My Life at Ulta
Prestige Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXJanuary 5, 2016
What can I say? I love working with people. It makes my day to help someone out of a slump or to put a smile on their face or a tear in their eye because they've never felt so beautiful. The job is very rewarding and my co-workers are amazing. The insurance benefits are awesome.

That's where the positivity ends. The bonus plan is not very impressive, especially since the goals get higher and higher, but the bonuses stay stagnant. Raises every year are well known joke among managers. There are very few men in the ranks, but the ones who are there get preferential treatment and promotions before more deserving and tenured female employees. They also get less push-back when seeking increases.

Ulta is a company for women, employed mostly with women, but the work life balance is non existent, heck our CEO is a woman, but in recent years, we have been forced to work Thanksgiving day all the way through to Black Friday, with skeleton staffing and zero breaks, and according to emails from our CEO we were on a volunteer basis and should be grateful for the time and half we get for working the overnight shift. Training is a joke, and unless you are paired up with a manager who really cares, you are SOL. They give you minimal hours to run the store. This means the store, on any given day, might be manned by one manager....and they wonder why guest surveys are low.

I could go on and on, but I will end with this. There is a small percentage of career employees who have no desire to leave the company. They are mostly married women who have two income households. For the rest of
  more... us, we are on a constant search for a company that values their employees more than a 20 cent once a year.  less
Pros
Great health insurance.
Cons
NO work life balance.
Steer Clear
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJuly 12, 2014
I was excited to get hired as a manager for a new location opening up. The location was projected to be very busy and ended up being extremely slow. We also got stuck with a GM and Prestige Manager who liked to gossip about literally everyone, a Salon Manager that was hired out of desperation and caused several stylist to quit because she was so awful, and a DM who was friends with the GM/PM so he didn't give a s--t about the fact that they sat in the office all day and did nothing.

Hours budgets are a JOKE created by corporate fools who only want to shave hours to create an INCREASE at the end of the year. Be prepared to have angry employees since they won't have any hours and will be forced to leave or get 2 jobs.

Ulta loves to assign tasks for store sets but forgets that you DON'T HAVE HOURS IN YOUR BUDGET to complete them. You're expected to get them all done while the store is open yet get to every single customer in the store 5x while they're there? Get real.

I was lied to at both locations I worked at and was stressed out beyond anything I had ever experienced at any other job. Miserable. The work environment was so bad our cashiers complained about the GM/PM to corporate those complaints were ignored. The GM would decide to get her hair done ON A SATURDAY while the Prestige Manager went to get them lunch ON A SATURDAY. No support from anyone no team atmosphere, total joke. Stay away the free samples are not worth the stress!!!!

GM at my 2nd location would sit in the office and make personal calls and watch us on the cameras then call to let us know she could see
  more... us. Thanks for not trusting your own management.  less
Pros
gratis if you're lucky
Cons
stress, drama, backstabbing, micro-management, overworked and underpaid
Friendly environment with endless opportunities to learn new skills.
Prestige Consultant & Associate Manager of People (Former Employee) –  Edgewater, NJFebruary 19, 2014
A vast majority of my current skill set developed with my time at Ulta. With such an enormous variety of beauty names that range from drug-store to prestige, one must learn to adapt quickly and establish discipline.

As a prestige consultant, I had a personal makeup brush belt that I was responsible for maintaining. I learned the basics in makeup application, including color-matching. Training videos and large training classes offered new information on new and upcoming products. I took initiative to further knowledge of basic application by practicing at home on myself and others. I was trained to sell all brands accordingly to satisfy vendor sale expectations.

As a manager, I learned more about operations within the building. I was taught to process RTVs and DIFs. Processing shipment, overseeing inventories, and updating planograms were common. I was trained in overseeing sales throughout the day to achieve goals. I was also trained in managing customer service demands through the day. This involved participation in conference calls, sales, and monitoring cashiers' s transactions.

The hardest part of my every day agenda was fulfilling so many different roles simultaneously. Our team was not large, therefore keeping steady balance was at times a challenge. Fortunately, I was part of a team that was together for over two years. We were all in tune with each other and often times were praised for effortless cooperation.
Pros
gratis for entire team, artistic freedom
Cons
high turnover rate, short lunches, low payroll
Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  UndisclosedJune 18, 2012
I have never worked for a company that disregarded the well being of it's employees as much as Ulta. They underpay everyone, cut payroll, and expect that you give 101% to create "Raving Fans". I agree with giving 101% to the customers. I expect it when I shop and will frequent a business that offers it. However, Ulta fails it's employees and customers with unreasonable expectations. It's impossible to give 101% to customers on the floor when you're bogged down with tasks(ie.,planograms,claims,scheduling, conference calls, paperwork,receiving process, ad sets, etc.). If tasks are not completed because you've followed the company philosophy of "customer first", expect to be repremanded in front of your peers for your "inadequacy". In my experience in business, I've learned that if you treat your people with respect and dignity, they will work harder for you, and you'll be able to retain quality people. Making everyone, regardless of thier position, feel valued is essential to a positive work environment. You will receive none of this from this company. Ulta is typical of the "major corporation" problem in the US. Meaning, that if they can overwork you and under pay, they will, and they will always follow the attitude that someone else will do the job for less money. Forget job security at any level. Overall the experience I had was negative and that encompassed a mulitude of departments within the store and corporate. I took the experience gained and moved on to a non-hostile work environment. If you decide to work for Ulta, do so knowing that you are only a number and of no value  more... to the company.  less
Pros
gratis, benefits and co-workers
Cons
everything else.
Lifeless, overbearing, and no room for artistic growth
Stylist (Former Employee) –  El CajonJune 27, 2014
I came to Ulta with such an enthusiastic and optimistic heart come to find out that this location would just break my heart! Because the salon is located inside the store, stylists are required to do retail work as well (I don't remember that in my cosmo training!) stocking and trying to sell products. I was told there was heavy foot traffic but there was no such thing. A typical day for me was clean the salon, mop the floors, and pretend I was busy. I never went to a training to further my knowledge in hair or make-up. A lot of the times I was the only one at the salon and there would be so many times I would have to turn customers away because I simply could not do all that work on my own and the sad thing was that there goes a potential long time client! My schedule was confusing, humiliating, and stupid. I would be scheduled to work once a week sometimes for less than 4 hours and I live about 30 minutes away from this Ulta location.The manager claimed at the beginning she was understanding that because I had a baby scheduling wouldn't be an issue. I was told I would get to work 15-20 hours, it was the complete opposite of that. The stylists there need to be trained more if they want to keep their clients or be considered a high end salon. When I decided enough was enough, a few people felt the same way I did and we all left this terrible location. Non stylists there did not consider that we were STYLISTS and not sales associates. End of story.

On the up side, I met some sweet people and miss them a lot.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
management, theft, not flexible with hours, weird unstable schedules
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience working for ULTA
Cashier and later promoted to Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Southlake TXOctober 20, 2015
My shift usually started when the store opened, during the first couple of hours in the morning business was fairly slow so I would spend my time cleaning the cash register, stocking nearby shelves, and reading up on new products and promotions. As more cashiers showed up I would leave them to check out customers while I walked around the store assisting clients with their needs and questions. If there was an issue or problem at the cash register I was the first to be paged if I could not handle the issue then a manager would be paged. I would spend the rest of my shift running the cash register, handling returns and exchanges, assisting customers, and completing any tasks the managers needed. I loved coming to work everyday, my co workers were always nice, upbeat and fun to work with. My managers were wonderful, understanding of balancing life and work and maintained a fun hardworking atmosphere. During my time at ULTA I learned a lot about beauty products and different makeup brands, I learned that hard work was always rewarded and there can be jobs that you do really enjoy to work at. The hardest part of the job was having to explain to our customers that our coupons did not cover everything in the store and had certain limitations, thinking that our coupons worked on all our products and then being told differently was understandably a frustrating experience for our customers. However to my knowledge the company has listened and is working on changing how strict they are on the coupons.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Worst Company
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 4, 2015
I have been working for Ulta Beauty for a little over a year.
I went into the position thinking I was being hired as a makeup artist. Boy, was I wrong. My job was to stand behind a cash register all day long.
During the first few months I worked an average of 15 hours a week, if not less. You can not pay bills off of 15 hours a week, but my managers made it very difficult to accommodate a second job because they want you to have completely open availability- even though they will only schedule you 12 hours.
And during those 12 hours a week, you REALLY work for you small hourly wage. Ulta as a whole sets unrealistic expectations for their employees.
Another thing that really bothered me is even though we were always cutting hours, we were always hiring new employees! It is silly to me to give 20 employees 10 hours each than 10 employees 20 hours each.
Shortly after I transitioned into a management role and got to see how the back end of the business works.
Ulta does not care at all about their employees. We cut hours daily due to being over on payroll, yet our guests were constantly complaining on our online surveys that we are understaffed and no one is ever available to help them. It also very stressful to take time to help a guest when you have 5 projects/tasks that need to be completed before you leave or you will be penalized.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend. There is definitely advancement potential. But I would never want to be a general manager for Ulta.
It's not a pleasant business to work for.
Pros
Gratis, employee discount
Cons
Low pay and hours, no breaks, ridiculous corporate expectations
" Very unfortunate for a Company with such promise"
Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaNovember 11, 2012
The Ulta business concept is exceptional. Unfortunatly, the people in corporate management have little or no experience in the beauty industry. They are retail leaders who have good resumes but are used to selling products, not confidence. When you are retailing to a woman, and she asks " What would look good on me?" you cannot just pick out a pink lipstick and she will buy it. You need to talk with her, ask questions, try and then suggest. You are selling confidence to wear that product the next day and look awesome.Our mgt. expects us to sell, sell, sell and if we don't have it, sell something similar.
You must be self-confidant to work at Ulta as the majority of the mgt. time is spent telling one what they are not doing right, not what they are.
The hardest part of the job is the "visits" from corp. and being told you are not clinically clean, yet you are given about 14 hours a week to clean an entire big box location...with a handglove...and really bad cleaning solutions. And if forced to choose, you spend 5 hours a week cleaning so you can be out on the floor to assist the Guest.

One is constantly chastised for not finding " solutions" to problems that are not solved because of miscommunication at the corporate level. If this company would listen to it's employees, they would be able to get things corrected. But you can't listen if you do not want to hear.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the Team, co-workers and being with the Guest.
Pros
401k, health benefits, great vendors
Cons
inept management caused by lack of training, salaried managers have no work/life balance.
worse places to work
prestige (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CASeptember 30, 2014
The first month I started working seemed pretty nice but they don't train you on anything before they throw you on that floor! With crazy customer's who steal and belittle you all day no payroll to hire cleaning crew so they slave you to do the job they hire you to do plus all the extra like a house maid the worse part the salon and the benefit girls had to work double people would interrupt all the appointments they had because no one would be on the floor to help the customers who were shopping for cosmetics I rarely get hours so every prestige sales person works like two days for abour four hours ..........and are very random days they do change the schedule with out notice ... the management at my location was horrible the GM was so rude to the employee's and never was leading by example she actually would be late take extra long breaks have a nasty grumpy face all day never wore make up and her dress code never looked porefessional she then never corrects everyone on policy or procedures only the staff that she didn't like ...... I started noticing a pattern on the all the woman she had let go they were all beautiful bubbly personality kind a gals! The other managers just kinda don't say anything or do anything because they all kiss butt to her and agree with her to stay in good circumstances ......... they lack foundation so the store as a whole is a mess favoritism through management causes the employee's to lose interest in the work place hardly any incentives ...... no where to grow no motivation no raise ..... no hours ......dead end job
Pros
cosmetics
Cons
management is horrible no work life balance
Don't fall prey to this company of "robots"
Manager (Former Employee) –  PrivateJanuary 18, 2012
This was one of the worst companies I ever worked for. They make their Salon Manager's into robots, shove Path to Abundance down your throat, force you to have your staff on the floor at all times and then expect your stylists to survive off of 5-10 work weeks. There is more paperwork as a manager than any place I ever worked for. You will feel like a robot by the 6th week you are there. Some of the verbage is just ridiculous..ie;, "reach out to", "coaching", and the content of the PTA book is just a cult to get you to work your rear off making less than $200 paychecks. Unless you are a Salon Manager, which they make from $15-17 an hour but expected to commission out or be fired, your life and home life will suffer because you will become overwhelmed with paperwork and trying to take care of a full book of clients on top of that. The prices are too high and there is a major lack of privacy for your clients. I saw too many people terminated, onf time employees of 5+ years fired for missing time clock punches. Expect to work Holidays, especially Easter. Expecty no help from HR to resolve issues. You will never get anywhere, even if it's a severe situation. Of you are a store employee, expect your hours to be cut. You will never be full time. Expect less than 10 hours a week if that. Some employees start at 5 hours a week then eventually get off the schedule until they call you.
Pros
gratis
Cons
unless you are a manager, forget any hours to make a living. poor management, lack of privacy for salon clients, no help from upper management, holiday hours

Comment – August 4, 2012

Yep been a stylist 28 years just opened one up a couple of weeks ago already quit. The path to abundance only works for them cult like atmosphere where they hope your stupid enough to work your butt off for them to make money. It isn't a salon it is an excuse to make money it is a glorified retail positon, they don't care if you are a good stylist, just a idiot dumb enough to sell sell sell even if you have to lie, have no, morals or sell your soul.

Fun, friendly, Popular, Amazing opportunities, and life long knowledge and friendships.
Prestige Consultant (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PennsylvaniaJune 6, 2015
I've been working for Ulta Beauty as a Prestige Consultant for just shy of 3 years now. I must say, this is hands down the best job I've ever had. Working for Ulta has opened countless doors for me, and has given me a lifetime of knowledge, experience, and life long relationships. Ulta beauty is a company which provides trainings several times a month, so there's ALWAYS something new to look forward to, and new knowledge to be gained. The management teams at every Ulta that i've ever worked for, or have been to, have been absolutely outstanding. All members of the management teams at Ulta are some of the most supportive, driven, knowledgeable, and genuinely caring people I've ever had the privilege of working for. The exact same goes for the co workers at Ulta. I've created life long friendships through Ulta and have been motivated and encouraged by every person I've gotten to meet through this wonderful company. Working for Ulta is not just another cookie cutter, "management and associate" kind of company. You get to interact with a plethora of professionals, including: Vendors, Product Trainers, Makeup artists, estheticians, nail techs, hair stylists, and even corporate members. I absolutely love working for Ulta. The environment, management, co workers, experiences, discounts, benefits, hours, and actual job in itself is something that I look forward to doing every single day.
Pros
discounts, gratis, friendships, overall experience
Macon Store #350: Theft & Internal Conspiracy from General Manager & Prestige Manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 3, 2013
The Prestige Manager is currently & has been stealing products from the Prestige Department of ULTA at the Macon Store #350. As soon as other employees began to notice the theft The GM & Prestige Manager began to devise how they could eliminate the employees who were on to their illegal behavior. The GM has been covering up for/concealing the Prestige Manager's illegal behavior. After 2 employees shared their concerns (including proof stolen items by the prestige manager) with the GM, both of those concerned employees were fired without reason, warning or explanation. Payroll has been manipulated by the GM & Prestige Manager, though the Prestige Manager, as outlined in the ULTA Policy Handbook does not have access to the office nor does she have access to payroll. The GM is giving her keys to the manager over the prestige department, thus allowing the 2 of them to sit in the office and manipulate employees' time worked; therefore, employees and other parts of management are not receiving full pay nor benefits including paid time off and 401k. Loss Prevention has been contacted and the store is currently under investigation for illegal activity.
Pros
great customer service from part-time associates & benefit brow artists.
Cons
poor management by general manager & prestige manager, lack of customer service by general manager & prestige manager, favoritism by gm & prestige manager, theft & conspiracy by gm & prestige manager.
I cannot recommend this company as a positive place of employment. My experience with my current GM is that she only wants to promote herself.
Prestige Manager (Current Employee) –  Flowood, MSNovember 9, 2013
Very fast paced and very small payroll to work with. Managers responsibilities overlap. Very high turnover in all levels from upper management to middle management and task associates. Pay scale from middle management down is average to low. No "Heart" in company; they do not close for holidays nor do they care about your family. The only concern is making the next dollar. People are expendable. Heavily into micro-managing and daily reports. No excused absences. If you are sick and have Dr.'s excuse it is subject to General Manager approval. Three absences initiates a verbal warning, next absence has a written warning and the next is termination. Some employees with children quit to avoid termination.
The hardest part of the job is the schedule and unrealistic expectations of all employees. Part-time employees making $8.oo per hour are expected to make this job their priority. If second employer puts schedule out before ULTA the employee is expected to make adjustments around ULTA. We typically get schedule Thursday or Friday for the next work week starting Sunday. Get schedule 1 week at a time. All requests off are to be submitted by 15th of the prior month.
Pros
25% discount on product, 50% discount for salon services, salon associates get salon services free.
Cons
hours and days open do not promote family and personal well-being. high stress
Weird Managers/only cares about sales
Prestige consultant (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILJune 11, 2013
I've only been working here 2 weeks and I hate it! My manager is so weird, she keeps giving me negative feedback without elaborating so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. She was so unorganized and unprepared at orientation, its hard to take her seriously. I'm pregnant and sometimes I'm in pain, she tells me I need to be more urgent. I worked 7 hours yesterday and only got a 15 min break. She purposely scheduled me on the 1 day i told her i needed off for my doc appointment. She just keeps doing weird little annoying things. The store is unorganized and all they care about is sales. I'm a prestige consultant and my manager is always wanting me to focus on a particular brand to sell but that would be biased and unfair to customers, why do we have all these brands if I can only sell one? I asked her for training in Clinique because we just got a new Clinique bar, but I wasn't trained, instead she just stuck me over there for an entire shift without a clue about the brand. She's always asking me to do a bunch of things that no one else ever has to do. She makes me feel singled out like I'm the only employee there. I only have fun at work when she's not there. And since im new there are alot of things i still dont and when i ask they treat me like im stupid for not knowing. No one except one manager ever cleans, the break room is disgusting. I'm quitting as soon as I can.
Pros
gratis...well a little
Cons
everything, no breaks, high demands, unachievable expectations, nobody seems to care