Ulta Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,336 reviews matching the search
very productive job working with a great team
Task Associate (Former Employee) –  Holmdel, NJFebruary 26, 2016
I was responsible for receiving freight and sorting items and stocking shelves. We had a great team of people working together to obtain our goals.I especially enjoyed setting up new displays and planograms for new,discontinued and promotional items.I liked the management team and was flexible if they needed me to work on short notice. I also was asked to work to set up for a brand new store.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
lack of hours available to me after 3 1/2yrs of employment
Such a different kind of job, very challenging.
Skin and Hair Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 23, 2016
I started by being an administrative assistant to the engineering department and later learned to be a drafting engineer. I was trained by the best, we was a great company. I worked there for 6 years, and it was in a time of my life when I needed benefits for my children and a great job.

I can say at all my jobs, I have always worked with great people, different nationalities and I could get along with anybody.

As the years passed there and my children graduated, I decided to go back into the hair business and that's when I started at ULTA.
Pros
Great benefits, no Saturdays and great vacation time.
Cons
N/A
Horrible
BEAUTY ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 22, 2016
i worked at ulta for almost a month and decided to quit. i wasn't being scheduled hours at the most that i had gotten were 4 hrs in a week which was ridiculous. In the schedule i noticed that their was more preference towards other employees so they would get all the payroll which wasn't fair. I didn't give a two week notice i didn't think the company deserved it after i wasn't cared about to not get hours. I was literally off for about 3 weeks.
Pros
GOT TO WORK WITH MAKE UP ALL DAY
Cons
UNFAIR HOUR DISTRIBUTION
Love helping women feel better about themselves.
Arch Expert (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TX 79124February 22, 2016
A typical day is stocking benefit cosmetics, clean work area. Review appointments for the day or supply orders. Keep up with upcoming events. Review sale and service numbers. Consult with guest regarding brow mapping and perform wax. I mostly enjoy educating each guest that sits in my chair regarding eye brows or any other service or cosmetics they are interested in,
Pros
learning experience
Cons
growing in this department
Good to work with multiple projects and also good exposure to many different softwares
Sr. SAP QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILMay 6, 2016
A little busy atmosphere. The work load increases drastically without a schedule.

But learnt new functionality and new software in projects which are highly in demand in current IT market.
Pros
Scope of learning new technology
favorite place to work
LEAD CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 21, 2016
This was the best job i've had, I loved the staff, I loved the store guest, I loved the job culture the company created, all of it made for a great work place. Unfortunately I was offered a different job, somewhere else with better pay. But if i could get paid more to work for Ulta I would have never left
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 16, 2016
I love to put out shipments because I love seeing new and old products. Love to know more about make up and hair products and skin care. I love to help customer find what they like to use daily for their make up, hair, and skin.
Pros
Get to sample make up, hair products, and skin care
Cons
Hate to work holiday hours
Fun Place To Work
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Yorkville, ILMarch 5, 2016
Very good coworkers, extremely good managers who cared about you personally and would talk to you. Fun environment, with fun and nice clients. Very well set up system and up to date technology. Only thing I would wish is that they would train all associates no matter what position on the makeup, since customers assume everyone knows. All in all I had a very nice time working here.
Energetic and professional workplace.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAFebruary 18, 2016
Going into work was always a positive experience, the good attitudes of the management team made it easy to help them.
I learned a lot of about the cosmetic industry, going in, I was pretty much blind.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all of the people that would come in, some of the customers that would return my kindness, could always brighten my day.
The hardest part of the job was keeping it clean. Due to all of the breakable merchandise, many items were accidentally broken. I found myself cleaning a lot of perfume bottles and nail polish bottles.
The loss prevention system at Ulta is a bit inadequate.
Pros
Friendly environment, flexible hours, great training program.
Cons
Often kept past scheduled hours.
Prestige Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJune 14, 2016
ULTA is a great place to work. It's really fun if you're into cosmetics. You will need to be knowledgeable about cosmetics of course. You'll also learn so much more while working here. I wouldn't mind working here temporarily.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Low scheduled hours

Want to know more about Ulta?

Ask a question
Worst experience of my life
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyApril 20, 2016
I worked for Ulta for about a year. They pay poorly and treat you even worse. The upper management has no sense of accountability and will completely throw their GMs under the bus is they need to protect themselves. They (at least in my former district) dislike people of color and will push you out if you call HR, as they did with one of my associates. They give zero training and tell you to search ULTAnet and good like finding the correct wording for what you are looking for. Don't ask your DM for assistance or support either, because 98% of the time she had no idea. Be prepared to work around 60 hours a week (and get paid for 40). If you leave early after working a 14 hour shift the day before, be prepared to be written up. Working for Ulta was probably the worst mistake I've made in my career.
Pros
I loved my in store team
Cons
Upper Managment is careless and rude, no sense of respect for in store teams, zero training
Recognition
Associate Manager/Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAFebruary 15, 2016
Ulta is very good about recognizing hard work and being thankful of what every employee brings to the table to work as a team to better the store. Management is very flexible, in order for you to have a successful business you need to acknowledge and take notice to employees personal lives so they don't affect their working environment. Ulta portrays a professional family/team environment.
Pros
Team business
Ulta Salon
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAFebruary 16, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of cleaning, organizing, meeting daily goals and providing an excellent service to my clients. I learned redken color techniques and the color and product line. The management was not very communicative. The hardest part of the job was when we were to busy and had to turn clients down. The best part of the job was the amount of different services i got to perform.
Cons
short shift, not many houres.
Fun job with great perks, questionable management
Prestige Makeup Consultant (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXJune 1, 2016
Clock in, grab a walkie, and start cleaning. You're constantly picking up after others, so if straightening up and organizing isn't your thing this isn't the job for you.
Pros
Lots of gratis for prestige employees
Cons
Management needs some work
Fun workplace with great opportunity for growth
Sales/ Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Diberville, MSMay 16, 2016
Great work atmosphere, wonderful customers, great management. The best part of working here was learning about all of the products information and benefits.
Pros
Loved the products I was responsible for selling
Cons
Couldn't work with school hours
Best place I will ever work!
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAFebruary 26, 2016
This is an amazing company with amazing people and I am so blessed to have the opportunity to learn and grow with this company. Management is always extremely supportive, I have learned how to work as a team and on my own, I get to meet hundreds of new people a week and its just overall an amazing experience!
Pros
Amazing environment, healthy, advancement opportunities.
Fun place to work!
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bristol, TNJune 9, 2016
I love working here. The benefits (discount and 401-K) are great and the management is wonderful. The only downfall is that there are not enough hours given weekly to give the staff enough hours each week.
Pros
Discount, training of new products
Cons
Not enough hours for staff hired on
Fun Job
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 28, 2016
I would never know weather they would consecutively schedule me two weeks in a row or not because they hired so many people. Having to compete with so many other girls to get hours wasn't fair. They definitely pick favorites when scheduling.
Pros
its ulta! the discount
Cons
No hours, too many people working
Enjoyable job for PT employment seekers
Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCFebruary 8, 2016
The hours are very flexible and the staff is very friendly; customer service is top priority and it is a very fun and rewarding job in that aspect. There are minimal benefits because the company will not hire FT other than management and even the managers do not receive FT hours. As is with any bureaucratic corporation, management cannot function properly without going up the chain of command, and that chain does not seem to link very well. If you're looking for a fun summer/winter break job or just a PT job for a little extra cash, ULTA is the way to go. If you're searching for a sustainable income and benefits, ULTA is not for you.
Pros
Happy Place to work, low-stress, flexible hours, friendly employees
Cons
No benefits, no FT, no raises
Benefits of Ulta!
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAMay 19, 2016
I've worked for Ulta for a little over a year and in two different stores. In both stores, the managers have been engaging and helped to drive employees' motivation by creating different types of competitions or recognitions for completing different amounts of sales goals or driving up the stores loyalty through issuing loyalty cards. The discount you recieve on makeup is amazing, but winning 'gratis,' also greatly improves worker's motivation for helping in completing store goals. Another great thing about Ulta is they give employees all of their breaks, without causing any issues! Other places I've worked in the past you might go all 8 hours without a single break- not even taking a lunch period if it was too busy. Ulta has definitely taught me a lot about sales, in addition to giving guests great customer service.
Pros
Makeup 'gratis' and discount; friendly co-workers; engaging managers; great training process.
Cons
very few full-time positions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.