Ulta Employee Reviews

Found 1,896 reviews matching the search
Fun to work their and helping people with purchases
Prestige Advisor (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAApril 28, 2017
If you are a knowledgeable person in makeup and skincare then you will thrive here. I really enjoyed working here and I learned a lot of different brands during my time at Ulta. All of the people who work there are personable and nice. I never really had any drama as a problem.
Pros
Discount, positive environment, good breaks
Cons
Shifts may be short (4-6 hours) they sometimes over staff
Engaging and innovative work environment
Makeup Artist/ Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2017
A typical day at ULTA consisted of cleaning, restocking products, engaging with the customers, and accessing the customers needs while utilizing my artistry skills. I was well versed in almost all job aspects of the company and learned a great deal about how the store functioned as a team. My managers were nothing but amazing and full of knowledge. I always greatly appreciated their feedback so that I could learn from their techniques and advice and make it my own. The workplace was very communal and everyone worked very well together. I would say the hardest part of the job was not being able to be as creative as I wanted. The customers that usually shop at ULTA were not as open to "new trends and techniques." However, they were always friendly and I enjoyed my time at ULTA while I was an employee. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the products and being educated on different techniques. I especially enjoyed it the most when a customer looked at themselves and loved the way they looked after I applied makeup. It's a great feeling when you can makeup someone else feel good.
Pros
potlucks, friendly environment, product knowledge, gratis
Cons
short breaks, healthcare
Fun employees
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILApril 28, 2017
The management team is very unorganized, the communication between managers and beauty advisor is terrible. This could be a fun work environment, but the management teams need to communicate better and improve their work ethic.
Pros
Fun
Cons
short breaks, low pay, too much work, rude customers
Makeup Nightmare
Associate Manager- Operations (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INApril 28, 2017
Terrible management and support.
Not enough staff for work load.
HR not responsive.
Long days with a lot of physical labor while wearing dress codes.
Not enough training.
Not worth the money.
Inventory is a nightmare.
Pros
Discounts on makeup
Cons
short breaks, over worked
Fun place to work at!
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZApril 27, 2017
Managers were amazing! Working at a make up store is the best. Bad thing was you were given very little hours a week and shifts were usually only 3 hours long.
Cons
No breaks, very hours, 3 hour long shifts
Not a great experience
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Lapeer, MIApril 27, 2017
Love the store, hate the management! This is an awesome place as far as pay and benefits, but the salon is all about numbers and nothing about you. In store the salon manager is the most disrespected manager there is and upper management is an absolute nightmare! Multiple people aren't saying this for no reason. The workload is overwhelming at times. If you are desperate for a high paying job and you have your own clientele in a busy location go for it! Other than that don't waste your time.
Pros
Discount, high pay
Cons
Everything else
Empowering and rewarding job, great management and opportunities.
Lancome Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 25, 2017
Ulta is a great company as a whole. Who doesn't love a one stop beauty store? Everyday I get to meet new people, help them answer any guestions and teach them techniques. It's a very empowering job.
Pros
Makeup
Productive work place , somewhat always busy. Great employees
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  West Seattle, WAApril 25, 2017
It's an amazing work experience to have , working with Ulta is fun also very proffesional at the same time. You get to meet a lot of people and learn lots of beauty products and skin , plus hair! You learn something new everyday at Ulta. From the costumers to the managers and even to the employees at the prestige part of the store . The hardest part of the job is remembering where the go backs go ! The store is so big but in a good way. The most enjoyable part is seeing how excited a costumer is when they're checking out because they can't wait to try a new product that they just got introduced too.
Pros
Free samples of makeup products
Cons
Poor hours
Good hours and always busy
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 25, 2017
Good environment to work in, very easy to learn new department in the warehouse.
Management isn't well with communication with the employees.
Friendly to new employees
Pros
Have raffles every few months
Cons
Lack of communication
Quality Assurance
QA Operator and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 25, 2017
P O Audits find inventory that said we receive and find lost inventory.
Receiving didn't receive correctly and need to cycle count and find the problem
Great Employer
Jason Walker, General Manager (Former Employee) –  Daphne, ALApril 25, 2017
Ulta provides it's stylists with the best training in the industry. They provide a great medium for attracting new clientele. They do demand a lot when it comes to managers, however the benefits make it worth it.
For oceanside location specifically!
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAApril 24, 2017
You learn a lot and they train you pretty well depending on how willing you are to learn and take on new tasks, however moving up was hard due to certain managers. Be consistent and you'll get what you want or to where you want, push hard. Great company over all, really great benefits. :)
Pros
Gratis, exposure in beauty world
Cons
hard to move up
Productive and busy store
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 24, 2017
I liked Ulta because you didn't have to go out to find clients. They would come into the store. You could also do make-up as well as hair! It was a fun cool place top work.
overall fun
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAApril 24, 2017
i enjoyed my coworkers very much. during the holidays it was very stressful being a high volume store. only thing i wish was provided was some sort of training
Good job, not great hours
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Opelika, ALApril 24, 2017
This was a great job. The managers were amazing, the customers were nice, sadly I got very few hours. If I had been given more hours I probably would have liked this job more.
Pros
makeup discounts, 50% off services
Cons
not enough hours
Ulta Beauty
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 24, 2017
A typical day at Ultra Beauty is a busy, fast paced day. My position in the store is Beauty Advisor, I help customers find the right product for their skin. The management at Ultra is strict but fun, I enjoy the co-workers that I work with. The hardest part of the job is upset customers or uncomfortable situations but we always work something out. The mot enjoyable part of the job is helping women feel beautiful and power about themselves.
Designer 1&2 (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNApril 24, 2017
Loved the girls working there! So Much FUN!! Lots of training and super fun events. Lots of samples!!!!! Training was trendy and seasonal which was awesome! Pay was horrible.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Not enough hours available VS Clients
A Good Learning Experience
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAApril 23, 2017
Working at Ulta Beauty was a good learning experience for me in terms of learning to do make-up in different ways on a more broad customer clientele. Learning the more retailed part of customer service opened up my knowledge well.
company is ran by bullies
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAApril 23, 2017
aweful upper management. no room to grow. work day consisted of high goals that no one could reach and if they were met no praise was done for anything!
Very fun place to work and build your skill
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Keizer, ORApril 23, 2017
I loved what I did and the team I had. Never a boring day and it was always fun to go to work. Vendors always continued our education in new brands...
Pros
employee discount, vendor support, gratis