Ulta Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,304 reviews matching the search
A company that asks a lot from their team with low recognition.
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, caSeptember 9, 2015
There is a lot of room for growth within this company, but very little training other than learning as you go and video modules that don’t really teach you much. This company asks a lot out of each person without giving the hours or man power to get it done in a proper manner. They do not consider you more important than the products on the shelves. Management gets written up if they do not prevent a theft from happening (ex: theft occurring while manager on duty is customer servicing someone else is somehow still that managers fault).
The only good thing about working for this company is when the vendors come in and teach you more about their products.
Other pros would be the customers who leave happier and feeling more beautiful about themselves after you have helped them find the right products to “cover” or “enhance” what they are working with, the people I work with are like a family to me and we all manage to have good team work.
Pros
the customers, the team
Cons
lack of recognition, lack of time to do anything, lack of communication skills, poor healthcare benefits, very few full time positions offered to save money
Very relaxed, fun environment with opportunities for advancement
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILSeptember 20, 2015
Easy going work place with incredible coworkers and great clientele. Very focused on helping you improve your future as a stylist. Unfortunately, management is constantly changing and in need of something more permanent. Mostly due to the size of the company.
Pros
Set weekly schedule, Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Short breaks, Constant Cuts due to Payroll, Impossible to get time off when needed
Wonderful things can happen
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  NCApril 17, 2016
It took me to move to another state and transfer to move up in the company. I love working here.. its gonna be 4 yrs since i started this journey. The ppl i work with are amazing in both places except for the manager i first had back home. She played favorites and i taught to never be a brown noser. My hard work should shine. I use to work maybe 20 hrs if i was lucky and the least i worked was 8 hrs a week for almost 3 months even though i was told i be working at least or close to 20 hrs a week. Since i moved to another store it took me about 8 months to become a lead cashier and then move up to a management position. As a cashier i work at least 20 hrs and the most were 40 a week. Im very grateful and blessed to have met this lovely ladies. However now that im on my way to becoming manager things will change for my team that works w me during our shifts whether its truck adset or during store hrs.
Pros
Potential to move up, ppl, my general manager
Cons
Breaks not trully given unless ur managment
Love and hate my job
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  AlabamaMarch 31, 2016
Pay is horrible, no hours, management uses people. Only love the customers and what I do!

I love helping people feel pretty, helping them make decisions, and educating them about beauty.

The advisors like me are not appreciated!
Pros
customers, makeup knowledge
Cons
pay, no hours
poor pay
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, TXMarch 14, 2016
I feel I am wasting my talents. 8 an hour. tips poor
343 for 54 hours. bad.
Managers lie about hours
cant keep girls because the pay is too little.
Who pays a educated person 8 an hour. I wonder if the ceo could last a week on that.
Pros
some discount
Cons
hours pay
Large turn over rate
Team Lead/ Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAMay 8, 2015
Seems to be a lot of turn over, people don't stay very long. Management does very little to help with the exception of one or two, long hours standing in one spot. Ulta is all about hitting production rate even if that means sacrificing the integrity of the customers order and merchandise. Expect to much out of their employees. They bring in a lot of temporary employees and use and abuse them and then let them go. The temps do not make decent money but do the exact same job function and most work harder then the full time employees. I felt like a number and not a person. The more you give the more they want. A lot of politics also there, cliques and women being very nasty to other co workers and the behavior is not professional.
Pros
4 day work week 4-10 hour days
Cons
peak season is 6 12 hour days
Working with Makeup & Wonderful Clients...
Beauty Consultant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Heath OHJune 22, 2016
Typical day at Ulta is either slow paced with numerous tasks to accomplish, or very fast paced with numerous clients to tend to all while maintaining on keeping up with those tasks. I find it to be an extremely wonderful, professional environment to work for. The management is wonderful, supportive, professional and assertive. I genuinely enjoy helping other customers find their ultimate beauty necessities while informing them of wonderful new products they can truly benefit in after knowing a little bit about their likes and skin / makeup preferences. The hardest part of the job is ensuring every customer is taken care of while also preventing loss prevention at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping women feel beautiful by finding them the right products for them to enhance their natural beauty. When they are genuinely happy, I am genuinely happy.
Pros
Rewarded with free food, free full size prestige makeup products, free lunches
Cons
not enough hours!
Learning curves
Asiistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 9, 2016
I enjoyed working for Ulta because they take the time to train you about new trends in the world of makeup, fragrance and hair so you have the learning curve of implementing such training on customers of all walks of life. Pay is not at all competitive with stores in the similar industry so that is a con.
Pros
Free products and training classes
Cons
Low pay
Amazing opportunity to start a clientele in a new city
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2016
I absolutely love working for Ulta. From the awesome people I get to work with to the amazing products and services this company provides, I have enjoyed building my career with this team day in and day out. I have attended every class offered within my district to keep my skills up to date, appreciate my management staff and love the feeling of accomplishment when my guests leave happy. It's been an amazing experience to work with such great people while building a clientele and getting my name out there.
Pros
professional working environment, free extended trainings
Cons
draw salary
Loved meeting people and being able to do what I love
Beauty Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILMay 17, 2016
I learned new things everyday about makeup, customer service, and computers. The hardest part of the job was disappointing the customers that came in for a product that we did not have it in stock. My co-workers were very nice individuals we enjoyed working together as a team. Management was great! One of the reasons I worked for the company so long;I was hired for a seasonal position but things went well they did not want me to leave. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help someone feel beautiful.
Pros
Performing make overs
Cons
too many split hours and pay grade way to low
Run far, far away
Associate Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 11, 2015
Regional manager would come in and completely scold everyone due to his stress levels. I was working literally 13 hours shifts, because no one wanted to work for this company longer than a month. I was appalled at the structure of the company's methodology. I am one of the hardest workers I have ever came across, and I still was never able to accomplish 25% of the tasks that were assigned to me.
Benefits
Cons
Everything but the benefits and discounts--seriously people.
great job to have as your only job
Mentor OH (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OH 44060April 8, 2016
This job was a very good job and I was sad to leave but unfortunately had to leave due to the fact I had to go to school full time and they didn't agree with me having class on Saturday. I loved helping my costumers find the right thing and see the smile on their face. It was always fun to get to test the new makeup and facial products. There was never a dull moment when working here. You always had someone to help or something to straighten or something to put away or clean. The co-workers were always so nice and never seemed to be upset or irritated. There was always a smile on every ones face.
Pros
long lunches, great co-workers
Cons
not flexible enough
I wish i could give less than a single star rating.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDMay 3, 2016
The management does not care about you as an employee or a person. You will have to defend yourself endlessly and fight for them to do the simplest things they are REQUIRED to do for you. As a previous beauty advisor, I can assure you, you'd rather work anywhere else. It took them about a month to get me set up for pay and by that time, I quit just a month later. It also took me 5 months to get pay I was supposed to receive for training and helping at another location under a different manager. You get better deals being a beauty insider here than the discount anyway
Cons
QA and Compliance Manager -Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILFebruary 29, 2016
Culture is still formalizing due to the excessive company growth. Nice place to work with many perks. Diverse work environments.
Pros
Perks
Productive and fun work place and great work team
stylist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 9, 2016
I work with an amazing team at Ulta. The management team is incredibly encouraging and they're great people to work with. I love the environment and opportunities to grow.
Pros
good money
Cons
hard schedule
Best job
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXJanuary 27, 2016
I love love love love Ulta Beauty. I worked for Ulta during the summer of 2015 and christmas. I am still employee, only seasonal though. The environment of this job is great! The people are great! Out of all my jobs I've had, this is the best one. The only con is that, managers are not always on the same page, which affect us employees.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
lack of consistency
Poor Management
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMay 30, 2016
I worked at Ulta for about 4 months, during that time it was a disorganized, chaotic experience. However, the manger that hired me quit soon after I was hired and we didn't have a manger for about a month. Then the manger who came in went on sick leave for three weeks. When I started I received no training, never watched any of the training videos. The lead cashier told me to use my loyalty card when members didn't want to sign up, to keep our numbers at %100. I didn't know it wasn't OK and was questioned about it and didn't want to throw her under the bus. It would seem that anyone they didn't like they would get fired. It was a very catty, uncomfortable environment with no supervision. The method of training was sink or swim and you'll know when you do something wrong after you do it. I was never rewarded for the good work I did only told about the little mistakes that very employee makes. Especially when your not trained. Also, I later found out I got what the lowest pay rate, but was in a higher position.
Pros
%25 discount
Cons
no training, poor management, co workers are rude and unhelpful
Summary
Prestige Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 9, 2016
This is a great place to work but at time management is afraid of taking stand for things that happen throughout the workplace and just let things slide. Your hours fluctuate depending on their budget so nothing is ever set in stone unless considered a full time employee
Exciting atmosphere with ever changing product
Arch Expert (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJanuary 18, 2016
Fun place to work with great and helpful co-workers. Upper management not appreciative of hard workers with dedication to clients.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Upper management not supportive of hard work and dedication
Great Employee Discount
Head Cashier, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXJanuary 21, 2016
I normally work either a 5 or 7 hour shift a day, it was pretty easy there would normally be a few rude customers but that's normal considering it is retail. Management is very nice and considers your feelings and time, co-workers are great and really sweet and hardworking. Would definitely recommend people send in an application.