Ulta Employee Reviews

Found 1,907 reviews matching the search
old navy
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 2, 2017
unorganized, manager was a lush , very rude and make sure she talked about you to everyone. work schdule what chaotic a lot of no show no calls and people calling in due to working with management
Cosmetics
Assistant Prestige Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 2, 2017
I only stayed there as long as i did because i loved the cosmetics and client base i had. the district manager and tore manager were homophobes and made work life extremely difficult.
So so
Skin Therapist (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTMay 2, 2017
I liked being able to do what I loved but I didn't like the style of it. Having to bother customers while they're shopping. My immediate supervisor was so great but the store owner was not very understanding and didn't really work with people. Every time I tried to talk to her she would say that her life is so much harder then mine so I have no right to not work as hard as her or whatever. I understand its good to have a great work but Dont agree with her approach at all.
Plus I got in trouble for not caking on make up like her ... Not sure if that's even legal.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Catty atmosphere
Great and fun place to work.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Epping, NHMay 1, 2017
Ulta is an extremely rewarding place to work! there are a lot of opportunities to move up in the company and if you are a motivated and hard-working, you were certainly rewarded for it in many ways.
Pros
Great compensation and gratis regularly
Good company within itself, the strive to make everyone feel beautiful
Lead Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMay 1, 2017
Ulta is an awesome place to be, everyone is equal as a customer and you can find all you need all in one place , which is the main concern for the company!
Pros
It's a good way to build experience in cosmetics/customer service
Cons
Poor management, and not enough hours.
tips
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSApril 30, 2017
the tips that is received for service is deducted from our checks weekly. that is unfair because they aren't doing any of the work. It is ok could be better
Fantastic atmosphere to work in
Designer Stylist (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTApril 30, 2017
Still employed, I have loved every minute of working at ULTA. Because the main focus of the store is to make everyone that walks in the door beautiful, every day is full of opportunity. Whether it's helping customers navigate the store or giving them a full on make-over in the salon, ULTA is able to provide everyone with a unique experience. The management is great and there is little to no drama between team members.
Pros
Opportunity to build my business
Cons
Not as many clients as I'd like, however I am new to the business
Horrible Management
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 30, 2017
There is no communication between management and associates. All the managers talk bad about each other.They will cut your hours with no notice and are constantly hiring new people and taking hours away from people who have been there a long time.They have no loyalty for their employees at all. Expect an average of 20 cents for a raise. Absolutely ridiculous and proves the company does not care about keeping people long term. This is the highest overturn of any company I have ever worked for and now I see why.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great place to work part time
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orion, MIApril 29, 2017
Ulta is a very fun, energetic place to work. The managers are helpful and very supportive, whether you're just starting out or have been working there for a while.
Pros
Management, training
Cons
Not enough hours, not enough opportunities to advance
Fun place work
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAApril 29, 2017
A typical day at work at Ulta consisted of keeping shelves stocked, answering customer questions regarding beauty product, running the cash register, etc. I learned a lot of different product knowledge, how to communicate with different kinds of people, and about different brands of hair and makeup products. Management was probably my least favorite part of the job. Certain managers were amazing and a joy to be around, but 2 out of the 4 made shifts unenjoyable. The hardest part of the job was unruly customers. It could be a bit challenging at time to try and explain certain things to some customers, primarily in regards to store policies about returns, exchanges, etc. Overall, working at Ulta was a fun experience. It was any girl's dream job who loves all things hair and makeup!
Pros
Many product lines to choose from and learn about, a variety of hair and makeup products
Cons
A few managers who were not exactly customer service oriented
Great place to work if your looking to follow a future in the beauty industry
Operations/Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAApril 28, 2017
Overall a great company to work for, I loved what I did in operations it gave me the opportunity to grow and learn within my field as well as all aspects of the business. What I most enjoyed was meeting and working with a diverse culture of people, as well as the few friends I made along the way. The hardest part of the job was finding a work to life balance, I'm a workaholic and take my work seriously, I will do what it takes to ensure all deadlines are met on or before there time.
Cons
lack of proper coverage
Fun to work their and helping people with purchases
Prestige Advisor (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAApril 28, 2017
If you are a knowledgeable person in makeup and skincare then you will thrive here. I really enjoyed working here and I learned a lot of different brands during my time at Ulta. All of the people who work there are personable and nice. I never really had any drama as a problem.
Pros
Discount, positive environment, good breaks
Cons
Shifts may be short (4-6 hours) they sometimes over staff
Engaging and innovative work environment
Makeup Artist/ Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2017
A typical day at ULTA consisted of cleaning, restocking products, engaging with the customers, and accessing the customers needs while utilizing my artistry skills. I was well versed in almost all job aspects of the company and learned a great deal about how the store functioned as a team. My managers were nothing but amazing and full of knowledge. I always greatly appreciated their feedback so that I could learn from their techniques and advice and make it my own. The workplace was very communal and everyone worked very well together. I would say the hardest part of the job was not being able to be as creative as I wanted. The customers that usually shop at ULTA were not as open to "new trends and techniques." However, they were always friendly and I enjoyed my time at ULTA while I was an employee. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the products and being educated on different techniques. I especially enjoyed it the most when a customer looked at themselves and loved the way they looked after I applied makeup. It's a great feeling when you can makeup someone else feel good.
Pros
potlucks, friendly environment, product knowledge, gratis
Cons
short breaks, healthcare
Fun employees
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILApril 28, 2017
The management team is very unorganized, the communication between managers and beauty advisor is terrible. This could be a fun work environment, but the management teams need to communicate better and improve their work ethic.
Pros
Fun
Cons
short breaks, low pay, too much work, rude customers
Makeup Nightmare
Associate Manager- Operations (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INApril 28, 2017
Terrible management and support.
Not enough staff for work load.
HR not responsive.
Long days with a lot of physical labor while wearing dress codes.
Not enough training.
Not worth the money.
Inventory is a nightmare.
Pros
Discounts on makeup
Cons
short breaks, over worked
Fun place to work at!
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZApril 27, 2017
Managers were amazing! Working at a make up store is the best. Bad thing was you were given very little hours a week and shifts were usually only 3 hours long.
Cons
No breaks, very hours, 3 hour long shifts
Not a great experience
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Lapeer, MIApril 27, 2017
Love the store, hate the management! This is an awesome place as far as pay and benefits, but the salon is all about numbers and nothing about you. In store the salon manager is the most disrespected manager there is and upper management is an absolute nightmare! Multiple people aren't saying this for no reason. The workload is overwhelming at times. If you are desperate for a high paying job and you have your own clientele in a busy location go for it! Other than that don't waste your time.
Pros
Discount, high pay
Cons
Everything else
Empowering and rewarding job, great management and opportunities.
Lancome Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 25, 2017
Ulta is a great company as a whole. Who doesn't love a one stop beauty store? Everyday I get to meet new people, help them answer any guestions and teach them techniques. It's a very empowering job.
Pros
Makeup
Productive work place , somewhat always busy. Great employees
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  West Seattle, WAApril 25, 2017
It's an amazing work experience to have , working with Ulta is fun also very proffesional at the same time. You get to meet a lot of people and learn lots of beauty products and skin , plus hair! You learn something new everyday at Ulta. From the costumers to the managers and even to the employees at the prestige part of the store . The hardest part of the job is remembering where the go backs go ! The store is so big but in a good way. The most enjoyable part is seeing how excited a costumer is when they're checking out because they can't wait to try a new product that they just got introduced too.
Pros
Free samples of makeup products
Cons
Poor hours
Good hours and always busy
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 25, 2017
Good environment to work in, very easy to learn new department in the warehouse.
Management isn't well with communication with the employees.
Friendly to new employees
Pros
Have raffles every few months
Cons
Lack of communication