ULTA

ULTA Employer Reviews

Interesting
CASHIER AND STOCK (Current Employee), Horseheads, NY 14845March 18, 2014
Great place to work. You are able to learn so much about the products. Very educated.
Would give 0 stars if I could
Makeup Artist (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COMarch 17, 2014
Worked there for lil over a year and did everything from truck, cashier task and prestige makeup artist. Horrible management who only looked after each other (all 7 of them .....yes 7 managers) , very deceitful making a lot of promises that were never kept. Thought that it's ok to schedule girls who've worked there for over2 years only 8 hours a week – more... and always saying corporates makin them cut hours. Then when getting a second job (cuz no one can live off that) manager bluntly says I don't work with other jobs ...
Then they're completely shocked that they have such a high turnover rate. But hey if you're desperate they'll take anyone anytime but don't be surprised when you think omg those reviews online were right this place is terrible. Just to be clear Idk what others are like but for the love of god save yourself and do NOT apply to Colorado Springs store 133. – less
Ulta
Cashier/Customer Service/sales asscoiate (Current Employee), Abilene, TXMarch 17, 2014
Pros: discount, laughters, always room for learning
Cons: managers are not understanding, loose hours, not enough pay or hours to pay
My usual day at Ulta is nothing like any other job I have had. I do enjoy it very much. The people are great, I was able to make men and women feel confident again when walking out the door. I have had my difficult days with customers but they do come back knowing all of us at Ulta are trying our best to make every experience a great one. The hardest – more... part about my job is definitely the work schedule. It constantly changes, or you loose hours because the company doesn't have enough sales to pay you. To be honest, it truly does not pay the bills. All of my co workers are all one of a kind and there is good communication. We have lost a lot of good management within the last month. So this has made everyone else very stressed and wondering where the company is going. Over all, I will admit, to work here is way too much fun. The people are great and the environment overall is good, but I would like to find something that will pay more and help support my family's needs. – less
love it
Sales Associate/Salon Receptionist (Former Employee), Naperville, ILMarch 17, 2014
great place to work, management great, cares, fun working environment
Productive and a girly girls utopia
Cashier (Former Employee), Florence, SCMarch 17, 2014
Greeting guest, advising guest, checking guest out
Restocking inventory
Keep work are organized and neat
Cross selling magazines
Most enjoyable part of the job were the customers
Fast Paced, Educational, Practical
Prestige Manager (Former Employee), San AntonioMarch 14, 2014
Pros: lots of free cosmetics & education
Cons: the pay is light with little to no experience.
You Have to be a real self starter, you will not be recognized for advancement if you do not go above and beyond. Company would prefer an open schedule, but will work with you.

The hardest part of the job is pleasing clients and maintain corporate standards you are to be stretched thin as possible. Not a good fit for the faint hearted. Must be able – more... to avoid politics at all costs. – less
Friendly and Outgoing place to work!
Lead Task Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMarch 13, 2014
Ulta was alot of fun to work for. We had unlimited amounts of makeup to use and practice with as well as helping customers decide what to buy. I learned alot about different products, and although I left a few years ago due to hours being cut repeatedly, I still love to shop there.
Productive and fun work environment
Cashier - Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), Buford, GAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: great store discounts, friendly work environment
Cons: inconsistent hours, not a great hourly wage either
Working at Ulta was a good experience for me. There will always be bad days wherever you work but the good days definitely weighed out the bad. I was a task team member so on the days that I wasn't cashiering I would helping to unload the truck shipments and then stock the shelves. It was hard work but I enjoyed it. Management was good as well. The – more... only thing I really have negative to say is regarding the hours, but you have to expect that when working in retail. That is the reason I am looking for a different job. Being a single mom you need consistent hours.
Good company, I am going to miss working there. – less
Everything beauty
Beauty Adviser (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 11, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: payroll cuts hours and shifts a lot
Ulta is mecca to anyone with an interest in cosmetics, skin care, and hair. The store carries the best variety from professional products to mass products that are usually cheaper which makes it wonderful for any budget. We pride ourselves on customer service and I feel that guest get the whole package without any intimidation.
Deceitful and rude management, no schedule consideration
Styllist (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 6, 2014
Pros: some nice coworkers
Cons: everything.
I worked in one of the Charlotte, NC locations and was very excited to sign on and work with a team. The manager made it seem like a wonderful place and that there were so many tools to bring in clients and that you would get paid an hourly wage when you didn't have any clients.

First thing they would do is cut your hours when there was no one on your – more... book so you made minimal money.
They did not respect any sort of life you may have had outside of Ulta and would call me in on days off, schedule my days off when it was clear I had a full book of appointments and then make me come in for that whole day, and still count it as a day off.
They refused to cut me from 6 days a week to 3 or 4 in order for me to fill time and make money. I was basically working 6 days a week for 2 - 3 hours a day.
The manager would harp on me telling me to increase my tickets by selling nails services, yet when I would look at my schedule, Id have the clients for hair services and have availability on my book, but the manager would have the client booked for a nail service with her. (hence taking money out of my paycheck on a technicality)
as a D1, there were constant specials for reduced cost hair services, so you would basically be making about $10 a haircut IF that. You rarely ever charged full price for a service.
The clientele does not tip.
They make you work for free for "events" where clients come in for free blow dry services, yet they don't realize that the same 5 people come every month for these free services and never book an appointment they will have to pay for. (management also tells you that this is a great opportunity to gain clientele.. yeah, if you want to work for free.)
When clients are unhappy with their services they are allowed 90, NINETY DAYS to come back for a free adjustment. That adjustment is supposed to be with the original stylist. If they see someone else they are supposed to pay the new stylists service fee. Oh, No, not in my case. A client came in on a day I was not there, and instead of calling me to come in (because she had no problems calling me on any other one of my days off for nonsense) the salon manager decided to adjust the color for the client. But instead of charging the client, the manager made me aware that since she had to "fix it" that the commission I had made on the original service was reversed and then put into the manager's paycheck. Tell me that isn't some BS right there.
The redken color line and products are terrible. They are just awful.

The manager was only concerned with her life and her vacations. She didn't care about anything you may have had to do, even if you had another job. After she caused several scheduling problems with my other job, I finished my last 2 clients and spoke with the store manager, who was also rude and asked me why I waited for the salon manager to leave, which I then stated that the salon manager was why I was leaving. She didn't care, said ok have a good night. and that was it.
I'll never even step foot inside another Ulta not even to purchase makeup. How the hell you sell box dye and offer "professional" services in the same place is a complete contradiction. – less
great benefits, employee discount
Salon Manager (Former Employee), Frederick, MDMarch 6, 2014
GM and DM are very sneaky and unprofessional. You are not treated like an adult in this store, GM is racist and had staff running around watching certain customers. When I reported the discrimination to HR, I was then threatened that I would be fired. I ended up finding a much better job and quit. Great benefits, however I worked way too much to enjoy – more... them. They preach family/worklife balance...I was forced to work days that I told them I couldn’t when hired. You are told to feel safe going to HR, but that is totally untrue. – less
Great Environment
Prestige Make Up Artist (Current Employee), Mishawaka, INMarch 3, 2014
Pros: awards, friendship, great leadership, experience
My overall experience at ULTA was beyond great. We all worked as a team and management went above and beyond to be there for every employee and were all very understanding and supportive people. Each day I benefited coming into work and it was a great being recognized and awarded for my achievements. Each day walking into ULTA was always a fantastic – more... day and I got to learn a new product, learn a new face, and clean up for the day and do it all over again the next day with a smile on my face! – less
fast paced work place, have the ability to chaallenge yourself dailey
Manager (Current Employee), ncFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: training
The best part of the job was coaching and mentoring associates and watching them grow in the company. The hardest part of the job is that company policy is different in each store with each manager and there are not enough checks and balances to make sure this does not happen.
Positive place for customer service oriented individual
Sales Associate and Task Team Member (Current Employee), Fenton, MOFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: discount, gratis, samples
Cons: occasional micro management, rude customers
My work was specifically with unloading store supplies and distributing them to appropriate areas for sale. I also worked closely with my team members while store was open. We helped address customer needs and answer all questions.
Excellent place for stylist to bild they clientel.
Senior Hairdresser (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: lot of free gratis and wery good benefit plans and 401k
Cons: there is no lunch room
Nicest co workers I have ever had , it was fun and interesting place to work. Learned lot about hair products and cosmetics.
All my salon managers I had over the years were great and extremely helpful and friendly.
Easy going job but nothing to brag about
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Salisbury, NCFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: gratis
Cons: no benefits, not enough hours, too much work put on one person
Love getting to play and learn about new make-up and other products, however the hours are horrific. If you get hired for anything other than a management position, be prepared to get 8-10 hours a week if you're lucky. Corporate expects one person to do the work of three for a terrible pay rate per hour.
wonderful clientelle
Esthetician (Former Employee), Lynnwood, WAFebruary 24, 2014
the most amazing aspect of Ulta was the amazing customers. I made lifelong relationships with many of my Ulta clients and they have followed me to my private practice.
Beautiful store. Terrible management
Beauty Advisor/Customer Service (Former Employee), Rapid City, SDFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: great discount; beautiful store; great products
Cons: awful manager
I was so excited to work here, the store is amazing and has everything you could possibly need, but from day one there was complaints about the Manager, i was promised 20-30 hrs a week and most of us only got 6-10hrs a week. she was rude and condescending, even while you were doing your job. If they ever change managers, I would gladly go back.
It was a fun workplace and good for the time being.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Delray Beach, FloridaFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: steady workpace, positive work environment
Cons: no healthcare, or room for advancement
My co-workers were all very friendly and I got along with them very well, I made some new friends who I still keep in touch with. A typical workday involved stocking shelves, doing inventory, working the cash registers, or overseeing different sections of the store.
Fun work place.
Sales Associate/Cashier(seasonal) (Current Employee), Vancouver, WAFebruary 20, 2014
I occasionally enjoyed going into work, I had managers who would gossip and choose favorites due to personal and not work related experiences. Other than that, I loved working with the public. I see my self as strongly out going and very much a people person. So working in this retail store was enjoyable. I learned working on cash registers, engaging – more... customers to see what they are looking for and help them find the correct products. – less

About ULTA

Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance wants to be every woman's ultimate beauty stop. The company operates some 450 stores in 43 states. – Read more