PHP & PERL DEVELOPERS WANTED!
Join a small, talented team of designers and backend engineers.
Why work at Ultra Mobile?
- Work on something you care about! We're a mission driven company with a goal of inspiring and helping people get in touch with friends & family abroad. Help build the best collaborative and comprehensive “calling home” experience worldwide.
- Take part in the product design and feature development process all the way from conception, to development and metrics instrumentation to validation. When we launch releases, we have a specific idea of what goals we want to help our users accomplish and how we can measure success. You'll have the chance to help think through the entire process and make changes as you see fit - no arguing about button styles, when the user is measurably having better experience, we've succeeded!
- Grow and learn on the job We encourage tech team members to continually sharpen their skills and dive into new areas. Good at QA but curious about PHP? Spend some time learning and pitch in on the app! Want to jump in and help out with our infrastructure but haven’t done that kind of thing before? You are welcome to spend time learning the requisite skills on the job and start helping out. Want more? Take a course and start pitching in!
- Get in on the ground floor of a fast paced, high tech, innovative company that has a great management team of successful entrepreneurs!
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
- Support our in-house PHP-based backend API
- Extend our in-house PHP-based backend for new data consumers and business logic.
- Improve our customer state machine and backend processes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- You're going to live in the data layer and process layer, deep at the core of our API.
- Extend the existing functionality for new data consumers, including mobile apps and internal tools.
- Refactor critical sections of our backend API for efficiency as our customer base grows, taking into account application, external API and database factors.
- Maintain and improve the interface layer between us and our upstream provider. This layer abstracts retries, failures, and mobile-carrier logic from our business logic.
- Work on our customer state machine, managing customer statuses and plan changes.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience with PHP
- Experience with Perl
- Experienced with backend development
- Solid competency in Perl for backend reconciliation and automation/service tasks.
- The terms state machine, API Proxy, and SOAP don't confuse you.
- Experience with API integrator with external APIs
- Adapt out internal APIs for various kinds of consumers - web, mobile, etc.
- Strong SQL knowledge
- Write solid queries
- Understand data schemas.
- Familiarity with API design patterns and strong abstraction layers,
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent and at least 7 years of relevant experience.
- Enthusiasm. Tenacity. Indomitability.
- Web ninjas, network wizards, hedge knights, BOFH’s or humble hackers please apply. (We'll love you no matter what.)
- No experience in mobility or telecom is required, you'll learn plenty here!
Ultra Mobile, develops wireless phone and mobile money solutions to improve the quality of life for its customers.
The company's mission is to provide convenient and affordable services that connect individuals with their extended families and friends living around the world and make the American dream more accessible. As the first nationwide MVNO with inexpensive international direct-calling options, the company launched its initial offering, the only voice, text and 4G data mobile phone service enabling consumers to make direct international calls from their own cell phones on a high-quality GSM network for as little as two-cents-a-minute. Prior to launch, UM sold nearly 500,000 SIM cards to more than 10,000 stores around the country. The company will unveil its mobile money solutions in 2013. Ultra Mobile's management team are telecom innovators and advocates supporting social equity in telecommunications.
Indeed - 15 months ago