Umami Burger Employee Reviews

Good place to work if you are willing to work hard
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 24, 2015
Was poorly managed at first then they turned it around with a good GM hire. Is a happening place on the weekends and usually has a good lunch rush.
Cons
No benefits, lazy coworkers
Busy yet organized work environment with nice co workers and a great place to work.
Food Runner/Host (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day at Umami Burger was tough yet effective. I learned new things everyday, such as how food presentation plays a role in the ultimate experience of the customer, how to greet the customer, and how to handle any problems that would come up. The management was always spot on, and had a good handle on the employees. The schedule always came out on time if not early, which gave the employees a chance to find coverage if needed. There was constant positive affirmation working with my co workers at Umami Burger, along with constructive criticism that helped shape my role as a food runner/host. I would say the hardest part of my job was keeping track of our customers while I was hosting, but in the end I always made sure the customer had a nice experience and seated them as soon as humanly possible. The most enjoyable part of my job was witnessing the customers' reaction when I placed the food in front of them, it was always a positive feeling when you see the customers' excitement.
Pros
Fun work environment
Overall exceptional work enviroment
Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa CAMay 26, 2015
Opened the first Umami Burger outside of Los Angeles, and being part of the growth from 7 locations to 26 locations. Learned many facets of management including, cost control, invoice processing, labor cost, vault tracking, and inventory management. Very busy location with 3.5 million in annual sales with 44 seats.
Pros
Hard work=great compensation
Cons
transition from private ownership
Great place
Server (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 15, 2016
Wonderful place to work, everyone is positive and nice!

The management is fair and kind, the coworkers work hard and the clients are all friendly!
Very fun place to work, live music, karaoke and free comedy, can't beat that.
Server/ Bartender (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 29, 2016
A very fun place to work, live music, karaoke and free comedy, can't beat that. Gourmet Burgers and great atmosphere. I loved working here.
Amazing Management
Server (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 30, 2015
Absolutely loved my time working at Umami Burger in Irvine. Managers are the best I've worked for/with, and work well with your schedule for schooling. Everyone gets along and its a laid back but upbeat environment.
Pros
great management, good food
Cons
Gourmet Burgers, casual dine in restaurant with small bar
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CaliforniaJanuary 23, 2015
Typical day consisted of set up all stations, prepping, grounding beef and cooking. Side duties included placing food orders and training new team members. Left because of no opportunity for advancement and poor management. All management changed twice in less than 2 months because of hostile work environment and poor leadership. When addressing these issues management showed little to no interest in correcting the problem.
Pros
good food, expanded prep and cooking skills
Cons
poor management and no room for advancement.
cool job but can be very very slow
Host (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAOctober 17, 2012
Well im a host at Umami burger. A typical day, starts with me coming in at 11:00 am. Usually one of the two supervisors are there already. We usually dont get our first customer til 11:30 by then we have 2 servers and a bartender. We have our little lunch rush from 11:45 til about 12:45 then its completely dead. By the time 1:00 comes along i get the signal that its time for me to go home. So i work a total of two hours. I learned a lot from this job since its the first restaurant job I've had in a while. Management can be "iffy" sometimes depending on who's' on the shift. I have to say I absolutely love my co-workers, they are the reason why i love coming into work. I would say, the hardest part of my job is being able to stand there doing nothing. I love to work and when the restaurant is dead i end up doing nothing.
Pros
%50 discount
fast working
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2015
i followed task of the day, completed my task in a fast and safely manner.
kept communication with my sous chef and management and most all the staff of umami.
i enjoyed every moment of my employment with umami.
Enjoyable Atmosphere
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2015
Great place to work, and a great management to work under. Everyone was friendly and helpful to one another.

I think customers were the most difficult part to handle at times.
Great location to work as well.
Chill environment
Hostess/Busser (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 10, 2015
It's a pretty laid back place to work at. The employees are somewhat all chill people to work with; you can feel the sense of teamwork at times.
There were some days/nights where I didn't have too much to do so I was basically getting paid to watch TV but then there were also some days/nights where I was all over the place helping out with what I could which included running food orders, taking orders and even washing the dishes.
Pros
working environment
Cons
unpredictable crowds; can be super busy/can be super slow
Front Of House Lead
Front of House Lead (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 5, 2015
A typical day as a Front Of House Lead consists of taking payment for product, in the form of cash, credit or debit cards while using the MICROS point of sale and handling any guest issues and grievances as they arise.
Fast paced, fun restaurant that provides an amazing guest experience
Server Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 30, 2013
Umami Burger is a great restaurant, with a great staff, and amazing food. It is a great place to work. It has motivated, talented management, friendly co-workers, and delivers a great product.
i learn to cook
Dishwasher/Porter & Food prep (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 26, 2015
i learn to cook
the managers are awsome
my co-workers are very awsome
the hardest part is cleanig when is busy
the most enjoyable is we learn every day
Pros
25% on meal
fast paced
Expeditor/Runner (Former Employee) –  Los Feliz, CAAugust 28, 2014
Management was cool and laid back. The food was good and work was fast paced.
Pros
tips
Cons
healthcare

4.4