Umami Burger Employee Reviews

overheleming
Line cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Hermosa Beach, CAJuly 25, 2017
get to work clock in start with dishes if dishes were not finished form the last shift then moved onto preping meats and other meals for the dinner rush.
Great part time place to work at
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMay 15, 2017
Very fast paced and operations can get stressful due to random waves of customers. Culture can be better - but often times in a restaurant, people are there just to get quick cash for a part time job which results in a lack of dedication to the company. BOH there is phenomenal though.
Pros
Discounted food, fun people
Cons
Fun people are also lazy, high volume of customers leading to stress
Fun place to work change in leadership would be beneficial.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 15, 2017
The CEO at the time was leaving and created uncertainty. The area manager was supportive and super knowledgbale. He was great mentor. The team was fun and focused on the guest experience.
Energetic place to work,
Runner, Sever, Supervisor (Present) (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 28, 2017
Great place to work been there for around 6 years. Moved my way up the company. Learned how to expedite run food, learned how to deal with guest compliants in efficient ways to staisfy there need or concerns, how to be open minded with ideas for the restaraunt to ensure guest satisfaction and up sell, met with vendors, placed in orders on a weekly bases. Keeping our morale high is a must since the employees we hire are the ones that represent our product and our vision. Difficulties would be bieng the only supervisor on the floor while still waiting on tables it was manageable but could get stressful. Greatest part is meeting new guest, training new emlpoyees since Ive learned much from everyone I was privledge to train. I do belive everyone has certain abilties that other do not posses but together we made a great team.
Pros
parking, lunch, flexible hours
Great Customers and Great Menu
Prep Cook/Line Cook, Expeditor, and Busser (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Working at Umami Burger was a great experience. I learned a lot about working here from the FOH and BOH. Coworkers were great. was just unorganized with scheduling
It was a place to work.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2017
A typical day at work, Work.
I learned to work well with others.
management was unprofessional.
co-workers were unprofessional.
the hardest part of the job was closing the restaurant.
the most enjoyable part was talking with co-workers.
Pros
Free lunch.
Cons
short breaks.
Great food and a fun environment
Supervisor/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJuly 27, 2016
It is easy to work for a company who serves a solid product. The staff is carefully selected to provide an exciting and effective work environment.
Great place
Server (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 15, 2016
Wonderful place to work, everyone is positive and nice!

The management is fair and kind, the coworkers work hard and the clients are all friendly!
Very fun place to work, live music, karaoke and free comedy, can't beat that.
Server/ Bartender (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 29, 2016
A very fun place to work, live music, karaoke and free comedy, can't beat that. Gourmet Burgers and great atmosphere. I loved working here.
Busy yet organized work environment with nice co workers and a great place to work.
Food Runner/Host (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day at Umami Burger was tough yet effective. I learned new things everyday, such as how food presentation plays a role in the ultimate experience of the customer, how to greet the customer, and how to handle any problems that would come up. The management was always spot on, and had a good handle on the employees. The schedule always came out on time if not early, which gave the employees a chance to find coverage if needed. There was constant positive affirmation working with my co workers at Umami Burger, along with constructive criticism that helped shape my role as a food runner/host. I would say the hardest part of my job was keeping track of our customers while I was hosting, but in the end I always made sure the customer had a nice experience and seated them as soon as humanly possible. The most enjoyable part of my job was witnessing the customers' reaction when I placed the food in front of them, it was always a positive feeling when you see the customers' excitement.
Pros
Fun work environment
Amazing Management
Server (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 30, 2015
Absolutely loved my time working at Umami Burger in Irvine. Managers are the best I've worked for/with, and work well with your schedule for schooling. Everyone gets along and its a laid back but upbeat environment.
Pros
great management, good food
Cons
Good place to work if you are willing to work hard
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 24, 2015
Was poorly managed at first then they turned it around with a good GM hire. Is a happening place on the weekends and usually has a good lunch rush.
Cons
No benefits, lazy coworkers
Front Of House Lead
Front of House Lead (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 5, 2015
A typical day as a Front Of House Lead consists of taking payment for product, in the form of cash, credit or debit cards while using the MICROS point of sale and handling any guest issues and grievances as they arise.
fast working
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2015
i followed task of the day, completed my task in a fast and safely manner.
kept communication with my sous chef and management and most all the staff of umami.
i enjoyed every moment of my employment with umami.
Overall exceptional work enviroment
Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa CAMay 26, 2015
Opened the first Umami Burger outside of Los Angeles, and being part of the growth from 7 locations to 26 locations. Learned many facets of management including, cost control, invoice processing, labor cost, vault tracking, and inventory management. Very busy location with 3.5 million in annual sales with 44 seats.
Pros
Hard work=great compensation
Cons
transition from private ownership
Enjoyable Atmosphere
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2015
Great place to work, and a great management to work under. Everyone was friendly and helpful to one another.

I think customers were the most difficult part to handle at times.
Great location to work as well.
i learn to cook
Dishwasher/Porter & Food prep (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 26, 2015
i learn to cook
the managers are awsome
my co-workers are very awsome
the hardest part is cleanig when is busy
the most enjoyable is we learn every day
Pros
25% on meal
Chill environment
Hostess/Busser (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 10, 2015
It's a pretty laid back place to work at. The employees are somewhat all chill people to work with; you can feel the sense of teamwork at times.
There were some days/nights where I didn't have too much to do so I was basically getting paid to watch TV but then there were also some days/nights where I was all over the place helping out with what I could which included running food orders, taking orders and even washing the dishes.
Pros
Working environment
Cons
Unpredictable crowds; can be super busy/can be super slow
Gourmet Burgers, casual dine in restaurant with small bar
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CaliforniaJanuary 23, 2015
Typical day consisted of set up all stations, prepping, grounding beef and cooking. Side duties included placing food orders and training new team members. Left because of no opportunity for advancement and poor management. All management changed twice in less than 2 months because of hostile work environment and poor leadership. When addressing these issues management showed little to no interest in correcting the problem.
Pros
Good food, expanded prep and cooking skills
Cons
Poor management and no room for advancement.
fast paced
Expeditor/Runner (Former Employee) –  Los Feliz, CAAugust 28, 2014
Management was cool and laid back. The food was good and work was fast paced.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Healthcare