UMass Boston Employee Reviews

Great Environment and training
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 6, 2016
-A great group of people to work with
- Flexibility and it helped me since I was a student while working
- great training and teaching new skills
- highly convenient
- great management
Pros
salary
Cons
slow pace
interesting time in korea
Student (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 10, 2017
i had a lot of fun during my study abroad experience. i was able to learn about Korean art through the study abroad program and manage to visit different museums around Seoul.
Pros
easy transportation, costs of food.
Cons
language barriers
Educational Institute Workplace
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 13, 2017
AV Technician role.
Learnt how each classrooms are connected with the latest gadgets.
Was taught how to repair any technical glitch that may be faced during presentation.
Great Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2016
I had a great experience in UMass Boston. The teachers and classmates are all friendly. With their help, my research has a good start.
great place
Building Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 15, 2016
best experience of my life. great place to work, made everything easier with school and work. help me grow as a person. I enjoy working there, great environment, great co-workers and overall best place. Friendly
Poorly run state institution
mid-level supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 26, 2014
Cronyism is rampant in management. Very little room for growth and advancement. Lives up to all the negative stereotypes of a state-run institution.
Pros
If you wish to cruise in your career, this is a great place to work.
Cons
Inexperience and insecure management
laid back workplace
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 16, 2012
A good place to work. Like the student atmosphere. All jobs are different here. I am in research so you are afforded a certain amount of leeway as far as schedule goes. Because it is research job security is not guaranteed.
Pros
student environment
Cons
no benefits
Productive Work Environment
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 3, 2014
The environment is quiet and somewhat laid back. I learned that working in a college, there are very busy days, especially when students need to see their advisors. A typical day at work consists of copying and transporting papers to different departments of the college, data entry, and filing student folders. The management and co-workers are very nice, but very dedicated to their jobs. They are comfortable for me to interact with. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to put my skills to use and learn new things as I go along to update my skills.
Working at the University of Massachusetts Boston
Writer and Editor for Department (Current Employee) –  DORCHESTER, MAAugust 26, 2015
UMass Boston is an ever changing environment that constantly strives to better itself. Although the university is currently in a transitional phase as it undergoes its 25 Year Master Plan, its administrative team works around the clock to make sure that student experiences are the best they can be.
Pros
Fun, fast paced and progressive work environment located next to the beautiful Dorchester Bay
Cons
Due to construction, parking can be difficult
Good place for school
UNIX Operator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 17, 2015
Great job for learning and continuing school school. It will help improve your skills in a low stress environment.
Other words, more things, I apparently didn't put enough here so I guess I'll just keep writing.
Pros
Good for school
Cons
Low pay
I enjoy the working environment at UMass Boston
Account Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 4, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job and entering and processing payments. I have a high volume of work that keeps me busy. I also enjoy my co-workers and all that I have learned while being employed here.
Pros
Positive and Productive
Cons
No Benefits
Committed, caring, and competent colleagues with which to collaborate
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 27, 2013
I learned to teach research methods and statistics to mastery. Adapting my instruction to meet the diverse neeeds of my students, doctoral candidates, was a challege that my dean and program chair helped me meet. Learning to teach to the wide ranging diversity in math and writing skills and backgrounds among my students as opposed to around it was the hardest part of my job at UMass.
Pros
committed, caring, and competent faculty with an emphasis on research-based urban school reform.
Cons
too many part-time, non-tenured or tenure-track professors de-stabilized faculty support of students (e.g., joint projects, student assistanships, mentoring, co-authorship)
Productive workplace
Office Suite Receptionist - OSLCE (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA, USAOctober 17, 2015
Because I am a current student at UMass Boston, it is very helpful to have a job on campus in which I can be productive in terms of both school work and tasks for the job itself.
Collected data and performed data analysis, including familiar with Bloomberg terminal
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2014
• Performed data analysis for the professor’s research projects, including familiar with Bloomberg terminal
• Collected data and analyzed various stock/bond’s reports with Excel skills

The hardest part of the job is that I always to make sure everything will be prefect, so that I require my works will be better than yesterday.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I can discuss my ideas and methods to better my works with my professor
College job
Sports Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2015
This was a college job not really too hard just needed something to do over the summer. Pay wasn't really there but it was something to do over break.
Productive workplace
Project Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 25, 2013
Center for Social Policy (CSP) is doing some great research and initiatives for the community. The center is working with leaders within the community to talk and discuss the tough issues regarding poverty, homeliness, minimum wages, etc.

I truly enjoy working with CSP, they are giving me a different perspective (in the trenches) on social policies.
The Office
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  DORCHESTER, MAMay 14, 2012
At UMB Undergraduate Admissions, students are able to experience what it is like working in a professional environment. The roles students play is just as important as the other employees. We were treated with equal respect and same value. There were days where we could hang out at work and relax but when it was time to work we worked.
Very good learning experience
IT support to students and faculty (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 3, 2014
I enjoyed this job very much because it was working with computers and that what I love to do. I learned a lot from my employees. The hardest part of the day was when there is downtime but when there wasn't i was always on the go.
Pros
Meet a lot of different people.
Cons
only an internship
good
Arabic tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 12, 2015
i went to school here for 2 years, the school is beautiful but old, and the college advisors are terrible they do not do their job properly.
It's nice to assist Teaching and Learning Mission at school
Wheatley Media Lab Operator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 14, 2014
I learn how to assist Professors, Staff and Students of UMass Boston for their teaching and learning duty. I am very happy to think that i m a part of making a better and greater UMass Boston
Pros
Nice Supervisor, Nice co-workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UMass Boston. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4