UMass Medical School Employee Reviews

A Living Nightmare
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMay 23, 2015
I worked for UMass Medical School for a couple years. In my time with the school I was devalued as an employee and under the constant harassment of an unqualified supervisor who was threatened by my credentials which far exceeded hers. Management created a hostile work environment and instigated coworkers to form allegiances against other employees. You will be working among many bitter, middle aged women. Human Resources and the Union workers were of no assistance in resolving or even addressing these matters.

The building was absolutely filthy and had poor ventilation. I had a vent over my desk that would put out some thick yellow dust. I would need to sanitize my desk and area a couple times throughout the day to eliminate most of it. All you will hear is coworkers coughing and sneezing. The carpets would go a long time unvaccumed or cleaned. It was at everyone's discretion to clean their individual cubicle area (most opted not to do so). I had one woman personally scream at me because the chemical smell of a Lysol wipe was causing her breathing problems so I'd wait until she was not around to clean my area.

The micromanaging was unbelievable. We would spend more time explaining/justifying our actions than actually doing our job. Bathroom breaks timed, had coworkers keeping an eye on each other incase something was missed by Supervisor, etc. I was headed toward a mental breakdown always worried what the next criticism/attack would be! It was a very easy job made unnecessary difficult.

I was advised by my Supervisor I couldn't use a personal day to attend a family
  more... member's funeral and reprimanded for attending despite exemplatory attendance. I was reprimanded for attending.

They look for reasons to deduct from your paycheck. They take a lot out towards retirement, you don't put in for Social Security, they charge for parking (@ least $416 a year) and look for reasons to fine you in parking lot, union dues, etc.

I strongly recommend anyone considering employment to really explore all your options because serious changes need to be made to promote a healthy and thriving work environment. Many departments have little to no advancement opportunities. I was advised upon hire there was plenty of advancement opportunities; however, long standing employees painted the same bleak picture I saw.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Micromanaging, bullying, dirty work environment, many deductions from paycheck
Busy
Project Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 12, 2014
I work for two Principal Investigators (PI'S) in the department of Medicine. I am the Project Assistant to both and work on each of their scientific grants, a U19 and a P01 respectively. My job entails, monthly financial reports, meeting with them to go over spending on said grants. Purchasing of supplies and other miscellaneous Administrative work as they come.

My co-workers are very good, knowledgeable individuals.

The unfortunate part of my job is being laid off. Without grant funding I will be laid off once again. This is nerve wracking and I just want to work someplace where there is no fear of being laid off, I would like to retire in the same place.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with PI's who just do not listen and just think things can get done last minute which constantly puts more and more stress on an individual. I work without complaint and do the very best I can.

What I enjoy doing best is the Administrative assisting. I like booking travel arrangements, reimbursements, scheduling faculty/visitors.

My background is not accounting and this is the part I do not like.
Pros
i am able to take time off for doctors appointments when needed.
Cons
parking.
Worse job I ever had
Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAFebruary 14, 2013
UMASS is divided up into many smaller units each with their own structure and culture. There's a lack of leadership guiding the units so the directors of each unit does whatever they want without repercussion from upper management or human resource. If you're fortunate enough to fall into the correct unit then the job here should be fine, but if not, run. Run and don't look back. This place is a career killer. Job advancement and movements within the organization is nonexistent. Gossip, drama, and backstabbing is high and encouraged. The turnover rate is high, I've seen half my unit fired or quit in 2 different instances in 2 years (a unit of 15 people). I wouldn't wish employment here on my worse enemy.
Pros
plenty of vacation time, holidays, sick time. easy job.
Cons
high turnover rate, too much drama, poor management, hr always sides with management, lack of leadership and direction from up top, poorly structured organization

Comment – February 23, 2013

Let me guess. Provider Compliance Unit in Charlestown?

like to step out of box
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 21, 2012
I have been working in the mail room at UMASS MED. Its different from my other experiences but I love it. I've learned new skills-stamping , and UPS machines. I get along great with my co-workers. I always help others when finished with my responsibilities. The hardest part of the job was learning where the stops on my route. However after a few weeks I was able to deliver to 42 stops in 20 minutes. I enjoy building on the relationships with my co-worker and customers. My dedication lays with individual with special needs. I have notice a lot of people in the field are there just for a paycheck. I believe it takes a certain kind of person to serve such individuals to to insure the best care. I also believe I am one of those people.
Pros
get to meet a lot of people and feel apart of something
Cons
not enough hours
Dynamic, cutting edge
Assistant Professor/Principal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 3, 2013
For scientists, UMass is a great place to work if you become tenure track faculty with a start-up package. For those who work their way from post-doc to faculty the road is much more difficult, the job security far less stable, and promotion quite difficult. In large part this is because without a start-up package you do not immediately generate the papers required to get the first grant.

My co-workers have always been great, but my supervisor has shown incredible lack of professionalism, clarity of expectations, and absolutely no mentorship. I know this is an aberration, as I have many friends and colleagues who really appreciate their mentors.
Pros
great resources, lots of really bright people
Cons
little support for junior, non-tenure track faculty
UMass Medical School
Administrative / Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 18, 2013
I started in 1985 as a medical secretary working for 2 extremely busy orthopedic surgeons. My responsibilities were all medical transcriptions from clinic visits. Travel Reimbursement
In 1990 I changed from Orthopedics to urology as the division secretary. In 6 months I was promoted to the Division Manager responsible for budgets, recruitment of faculty, residents and secretarial support. This position was eliminated in June of 1995.
I temped in Human Resources from July of 1995 to May of 1996, at which time I was hired as an administrative assistant for Facilities Management. During my time there I was promoted to a financial analyst IV and then to an Administrative Assistant III.
Pros
diverse department always changing leadership
Cons
no career advancement
great experience
Information Services Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 6, 2015
I learned a lot about first level technical support and gave me my start to becoming a desktop technician. I worked at the Umass Help desk and students and employees would call in with their technical problems. We would walk them through what we were capable of and would have to log each and every call into a service call application named Heat. I had to create user accounts for all new users and maintenance for corrupt roaming profiles.
Pros
good money and experience
Cons
was gone 11 hours per day and had a child, it was hard
Productive and fun workday with team oriented people like myself :)
Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMarch 25, 2014
I get to work say hello to everyone and get started with my day. I learned Data Entry and the manager was very informative. I didn't have an interview I just went to this job and started working and I did very well I must say. My co-workers there were very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was leaving after getting to know people there. I enjoyed going to work everyday working independently and getting the job done. I really enjoyed working for Umass Medical and would go work there again if I had the opportunity in the future.
Good employer
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE I (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 9, 2015
Umass medical was a great company to work for. However, being in the field of academia requires applying for funding every year which doesn't always work out. I was with this company for about 3 years during which time I was trained in the different techniques and services provided by the department. During this time I had little opportunity to utilize the skills acquired in training since I was assigned to specific roles within the company. I feel my role with this company was very limiting as I wasn't allowed to grow professionally.
Pros
discounts
Cons
limited opportunities
Large Company - Small Department feel
Project Coordinator/Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MANovember 25, 2013
Initially, I enjoyed the culture of the company. However, after upper management changed 3 times, so did the culture. I was however, part of a small group of individuals that made the organization feel like a small company, which was nice. Although the company was very large, being part of the 'small' group I could see where I had an impact on the company. I enjoyed being part of the project I was working on. Everyday I experienced something new and was continuously multi-tasking, which I enjoy.
Pros
working on a very important project, which allowed my to multi-tasking and utilize the majority of my skills.
Cons
frequent change in upper management. eliminating consultants.

Want to know more about UMass Medical School?

Ask a question
Wonderful place to work. Challenging work. People are very helpful.
Administrative Support Temp Work (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 19, 2015
Checking emails and responding to them. Dealing with the faculty and students. Organizing individual sessions. Preparing handouts for different meetings and sessions. Making sure that the sessions were covered by the faculty. Co-workers are always willing to help and teach. The hardest part is that there isn't enough time in a day. The most enjoyable part is that it very rewarding and challenging.
Pros
great work environment. people are really nice.
Nice place for research
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 16, 2012
Enjoy the research enviroment.

A typical day starting with many experiments. What I learned is to well arrangement of your work. Think more and do in a correct way.
Cooperation is really helpful for the progression of projects.
The hardest part is you found the projects have no way to go.
The most enjoyable part of the job is you can write the paper to publish.
Flexible
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 1, 2013
• Administering and proctoring several exams throughout the academic year, typing correspondence, memoranda, reports and minutes, filing, and maintain filing system, etc.
• Responsibilities included coordinating travel arrangements, travel reimbursements, telephone appointments, and meetings
• Office Management
• Assist with other duties/projects as assigned
Great job to gain experience
Health and Safety Associate (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 11, 2012
Job is difficult at times but rewarding, learned many new aspects of an academic environment, some good some bad. Very difficult to implement new programs for researchers but makes you think outside of the box.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor salaries
3 hours of traveling to and from work a day
Regional Centralized Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MADecember 12, 2012
I have enjoyed working for this company but the traveling is taking its toll on me and am looking for something that would be closer to my home.
benefits
Cons
traveling
Great research environment
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 18, 2012
Overall UMass Medical School is a very intellectually stimulating environment with a broad scope of research. being in close proximity to a hospital serves as a constant reminder of the clinical significance of our work.
Pros
opportunities for collaboration, great seminars
A work environment that was small that allowed me to learn many aspect of the department.
Project Assistant II- (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury MAJuly 9, 2013
The entre department consisted of 4 personnel that utilized 130 personnel schedules to service the medical schools with Massachusetts. I had the pleasure of working with many interesting people.
UMass Medical School
Full Time Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  FraminghamApril 8, 2013
An exciting and rewarding career. I gained many valuable skills and knowledge while working for UMass Medical School. However, lack of staff, having to stay for double shifts, and the long commute time were a few of the drawbacks.
Productive and fun place to work
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 1, 2015
I enjoyed working there very much, I enjoyed learning new things and meeting new people!! We had group luncheons and celebrated Birthdays.
Pros
Close by and convenient to get to
Cons
no breaks and no pay increases
CPS
CPS Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MANovember 20, 2014
My typical day consists of managing 10 personnel for the Clinical Pharmacy Services. In this role, I managed the administrative personnel and made sure all information has been safeguarded
Pros
lunch room