UMass Medical School Employee Reviews

Productive and Quick Paced
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 22, 2017
I work as an on-call research assistant. I take call for about 200hrs a month and can get called in at any point to take samples and do laboratory work on the samples.
Cons
No benefits
Pharmacy Associate II (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAOctober 31, 2017
Umass Med School was a good place to work and taught me so much about working with Prior Authorizations and different requirements for different Insurance companies. It was very high-paced but I gained a lot of knowledge there while employed. I learned all the requirements for medication prior authorization for all clients throughout Massachusetts
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
could be stressful t times being on call
A great place to intern
Video/Multimedia Production Intern (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 17, 2017
I interned at UMass Medical in the Emerging Professionals Summer Internship Program. It was a great experience both for networking and gaining skills in a field you may consider entering. The area is extremely pleasant and you are working on a very major campus in New England.
Low salaries
Business Systems Integration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MASeptember 25, 2017
Salaries are very low for many professional works. The facilities are run down. The environment is depressing as its a large building full of smaller groups that do not work together.
Job security
Cogeneration Engineer (Current Employee) –  Power plantAugust 19, 2017
Busy job with operations and maintenance opportunity . State job with decent benefits and average salary. Twelve hour rotating shifts for operators 8 hour day shifts for maintenance
challenging and nice place to develop personal abilities
Research specialist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 2, 2017
This is a nice place for entry level scientist to develop skills and maybe some opportunities for young researchers. The benefit is good, the payment is average.
No Summary
Fire Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 13, 2017
No Summary, not interested in telling more about my employer. The management there is very tough to work with and there is little help from HR department.
Have to figue out anything by yourself
Research Associate I (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 12, 2017
Have to figure everything out on your own. HR is useless, but certain individuals are very helpful. Experiments are run last minute and expected to have no mistakes with the small amount of preparation.
Pros
Great Researchers
Cons
Lots of holiday/weekend work
great benefits
Case Specialist II, Casualty Recovery Unit (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 8, 2017
You get great benefits working for UMass Medical School.You get health insurance,dental, life etc. Also, get discounted rates for different services. I have had the opportunity to grow and advance with in the department.
good work life balance
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMay 18, 2017
Good work life balance, good training programs. The company, supervisor and management cares about the employees. The company is conveniently located
Integrated Care Programs Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 8, 2017
Some of the pros:
Overall good place to work.
Work culture: Open to different people; Immigrants are welcome.
Good work and life balance.
Cons:
Most of the positions are located in Worcester. (But some positions are located downtown Boston.)
Not what they portray
FMLA Leave Administrator (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 4, 2017
The talent group is not very fast and you jump through a lot of hoops. There are at least 5/6 separate interviews and when you have to leave your current job during lunch breaks to go for them it is a lot of personal time.You are told one thing during interview and it is a sugarcoated facade. I arrived and felt lost. No computer for days. No access. Had to push for access for many things. It was completely disorganized. There is a lot of favoritism. Lots of layoffs and shifting transfers, which again means a lot of lost job. In the end I left a job I had worked at for years to be laid off.
Pros
benefits are good (mostly), pay is on par, pension would be good if you stay, some of the people
Cons
medical benefits are costly and confusing, no training, terrible mgt response to questions, terrible technology and IT--tickets for tickets, favoritism
fun people
Clinical Reviewer 2 (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAApril 21, 2017
Very conducive environment, fun and professional people to work with. Very attractive benefits. Friendly staff. I would love to work here forever. Would recommend to everyone.
Clinical Reviewer II (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAApril 20, 2017
The culture here is one of caring and nurturing. Also there is great respect for each other and different cultures. I have yet to hear anyone complaining.
Pros
Open and friendly
Cons
Productive workplace in health care industry
IoT Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAApril 16, 2017
UMass Medical School's IT division helps the Medical School and its efforts in research and health care.It has several teams involved in application development, Dev Ops, Network Services, Storage and Data center
Stable job with work/life balance
Developer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 23, 2017
Great benefits and great people to work with; stable job with opportunity to work on various projects; agile /scrum culture; could improve in implementing new technologies;
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lack of career advancement opportunities
Worked in different facility.
RESPIRATORY THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJanuary 17, 2017
Umass offers great benefits. I was in a different facility than home base. I worked in a setting where UMass hired out medical people as contractors.
Pros
Holidays off.
Cons
Administration kept changing.
Typical old style run it till it fails and blame the maintenence mentality
Engineer Building Systems Operator/ Control Tech (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 24, 2016
Mid Management is a bit old school. My position is very demanding as I am understaffed. Equipment is antiquated and inefficient but aesthetics overrules efficiency I guess.
There are many good workers there with great attitudes but are frustrated by the ones who can't do there jobs but are only there because they are friends with someone high up like the director or a Senator, typical in many institutions.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Lazy workers frustration
Applications Database Developer III (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MADecember 15, 2016
I stayed here for over 6 years so I would say it is a good company and you don't get swamped with too much work and you get to work in a team so you may end up learning a bit more.
Pros
Traditional IT framework as well
Cons
Culture should improve
drowning in middle management
RN Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAOctober 6, 2016
Ineffective middle management, mine is poorly organized, often blames staff for her disorganization, micromanagement, lack of autonomy, staff underutilized
Pros
Nice benefits
Cons
lack of autonomy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UMass Medical School. Our community is ready to answer.