UMass Medical School Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
HR Coordinator (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, MAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Close by and convenient to get to
Cons: no breaks and no pay increases
I enjoyed working there very much, I enjoyed learning new things and meeting new people!! We had group luncheons and celebrated Birthdays.
A Living Nightmare
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, MAMay 23, 2015
Pros: Pay is good
Cons: Micromanaging, bullying, dirty work environment, many deductions from paycheck
I worked for UMass Medical School for a couple years. In my time with the school I was devalued as an employee and under the constant harassment of an unqualified supervisor who was threatened by my credentials which far exceeded hers. Management created a hostile work environment and instigated coworkers to form allegiances against other employees. You will be working among many bitter, middle aged women. Human Resources and the Union workers were of no assistance in resolving or even addressing these matters.

The building was absolutely filthy and had poor ventilation. I had a vent over my desk that would put out some thick yellow dust. I would need to sanitize my desk and area a couple times throughout the day to eliminate most of it. All you will hear is coworkers coughing and sneezing. The carpets would go a long time unvaccumed or cleaned. It was at everyone's discretion to clean their individual cubicle area (most opted not to do so). I had one woman personally scream at me because the chemical smell of a Lysol wipe was causing her breathing problems so I'd wait until she was not around to clean my area.

The micromanaging was unbelievable. We would spend more time explaining/justifying our actions than actually doing our job. Bathroom breaks timed, had coworkers keeping an eye on each other incase something was missed by Supervisor, etc. I was headed toward a mental breakdown always worried what the next criticism/attack would be! It was a very easy job made unnecessary difficult.

I was advised by my Supervisor I couldn't use a personal day to attend a family – more... member's funeral and reprimanded for attending despite exemplatory attendance. I was reprimanded for attending.

They look for reasons to deduct from your paycheck. They take a lot out towards retirement, you don't put in for Social Security, they charge for parking (@ least $416 a year) and look for reasons to fine you in parking lot, union dues, etc.

I strongly recommend anyone considering employment to really explore all your options because serious changes need to be made to promote a healthy and thriving work environment. Many departments have little to no advancement opportunities. I was advised upon hire there was plenty of advancement opportunities; however, long standing employees painted the same bleak picture I saw. – less
great experience
Information Services Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee), Worcester, MAApril 6, 2015
Pros: good money and experience
Cons: was gone 11 hours per day and had a child, it was hard
I learned a lot about first level technical support and gave me my start to becoming a desktop technician. I worked at the Umass Help desk and students and employees would call in with their technical problems. We would walk them through what we were capable of and would have to log each and every call into a service call application named Heat. I had to create user accounts for all new users and maintenance for corrupt roaming profiles.
Wonderful place to work. Challenging work. People are very helpful.
Administrative Support Temp Work (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great work environment. people are really nice.
Checking emails and responding to them. Dealing with the faculty and students. Organizing individual sessions. Preparing handouts for different meetings and sessions. Making sure that the sessions were covered by the faculty. Co-workers are always willing to help and teach. The hardest part is that there isn't enough time in a day. The most enjoyable part is that it very rewarding and challenging.
CPS
CPS Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), MANovember 20, 2014
Pros: lunch room
My typical day consists of managing 10 personnel for the Clinical Pharmacy Services. In this role, I managed the administrative personnel and made sure all information has been safeguarded
Research Associate I (Current Employee), Worcester, MASeptember 25, 2014
Pros:Lots of learning opportunity, interactions with other disciplines/labs. Good benefits.
a good place for PhD students
Research Associate (Former Employee), Worcester, MAAugust 29, 2014
a good place for PhD students
good relationship between different laboratories
Great
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Worcester, MAAugust 24, 2014
So much fun and you learn so much. You can develop your skills a lot.
Busy
Project Assistant II (Current Employee), Worcester, MAMay 12, 2014
Pros: i am able to take time off for doctors appointments when needed.
Cons: parking.
I work for two Principal Investigators (PI'S) in the department of Medicine. I am the Project Assistant to both and work on each of their scientific grants, a U19 and a P01 respectively. My job entails, monthly financial reports, meeting with them to go over spending on said grants. Purchasing of supplies and other miscellaneous Administrative work as they come.

My co-workers are very good, knowledgeable individuals.

The unfortunate part of my job is being laid off. Without grant funding I will be laid off once again. This is nerve wracking and I just want to work someplace where there is no fear of being laid off, I would like to retire in the same place.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with PI's who just do not listen and just think things can get done last minute which constantly puts more and more stress on an individual. I work without complaint and do the very best I can.

What I enjoy doing best is the Administrative assisting. I like booking travel arrangements, reimbursements, scheduling faculty/visitors.

My background is not accounting and this is the part I do not like.
Productive and fun workday with team oriented people like myself :)
Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, MAMarch 25, 2014
I get to work say hello to everyone and get started with my day. I learned Data Entry and the manager was very informative. I didn't have an interview I just went to this job and started working and I did very well I must say. My co-workers there were very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was leaving after getting to know people there. I enjoyed going to work everyday working independently and getting the job done. I really enjoyed working for Umass Medical and would go work there again if I had the opportunity in the future.
Not recommended
Veterinary Technician I (Former Employee), Worcester, MAFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: good compensation
Cons: poor working atmosphere
Worst management in my entire career, poor work environment, the employees are very downcast and discouraged
Exceptionally kind, professional colleagues
CGI Consultant (Current Employee), Quincy, MAJanuary 29, 2014
I feel very fortunate to work for CGI, as it is the best culture of any company that I have worked for. My colleagues are all very professional yet so very friendly and kind.
Large Company - Small Department feel
Project Coordinator/Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, MANovember 25, 2013
Pros: working on a very important project, which allowed my to multi-tasking and utilize the majority of my skills.
Cons: frequent change in upper management. eliminating consultants.
Initially, I enjoyed the culture of the company. However, after upper management changed 3 times, so did the culture. I was however, part of a small group of individuals that made the organization feel like a small company, which was nice. Although the company was very large, being part of the 'small' group I could see where I had an impact on the company. I enjoyed being part of the project I was working on. Everyday I experienced something new and was continuously multi-tasking, which I enjoy.
Sr. Application Database Developer, Tech Lead (Current Employee), Shrewsbury, MAOctober 17, 2013
Interesting and challenging workplace. Joined UMASS as a contractor and was hired as full time employee and have been very satisfied.
Dynamic, cutting edge
Assistant Professor/Principal Investigator (Current Employee), Worcester, MAOctober 3, 2013
Pros: great resources, lots of really bright people
Cons: little support for junior, non-tenure track faculty
For scientists, UMass is a great place to work if you become tenure track faculty with a start-up package. For those who work their way from post-doc to faculty the road is much more difficult, the job security far less stable, and promotion quite difficult. In large part this is because without a start-up package you do not immediately generate the papers required to get the first grant.

My co-workers have always been great, but my supervisor has shown incredible lack of professionalism, clarity of expectations, and absolutely no mentorship. I know this is an aberration, as I have many friends and colleagues who really appreciate their mentors.
fun workplace
LPN (Former Employee), Shirley, MASeptember 13, 2013
Pros: cheap lunches
Cons: working with inmates
was a great place to work, with great staff. good team work shown
Flexible
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Worcester, MAAugust 1, 2013
• Administering and proctoring several exams throughout the academic year, typing correspondence, memoranda, reports and minutes, filing, and maintain filing system, etc.
• Responsibilities included coordinating travel arrangements, travel reimbursements, telephone appointments, and meetings
• Office Management
• Assist with other duties/projects as assigned
A work environment that was small that allowed me to learn many aspect of the department.
Project Assistant II- (Former Employee), Shrewsbury MAJuly 9, 2013
The entre department consisted of 4 personnel that utilized 130 personnel schedules to service the medical schools with Massachusetts. I had the pleasure of working with many interesting people.
UMass Medical School
Administrative / Financial Assistant (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJune 18, 2013
Pros: diverse department always changing leadership
Cons: no career advancement
I started in 1985 as a medical secretary working for 2 extremely busy orthopedic surgeons. My responsibilities were all medical transcriptions from clinic visits. Travel Reimbursement
In 1990 I changed from Orthopedics to urology as the division secretary. In 6 months I was promoted to the Division Manager responsible for budgets, recruitment of faculty, residents and secretarial support. This position was eliminated in June of 1995.
I temped in Human Resources from July of 1995 to May of 1996, at which time I was hired as an administrative assistant for Facilities Management. During my time there I was promoted to a financial analyst IV and then to an Administrative Assistant III.
Full Time Medical Assistant (Former Employee), FraminghamApril 8, 2013
An exciting and rewarding career. I gained many valuable skills and knowledge while working for UMass Medical School. However, lack of staff, having to stay for double shifts, and the long commute time were a few of the drawbacks.

UMass Medical School Salaries