UMass Medical School Employee Reviews

Worked in different facility.
RESPIRATORY THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJanuary 17, 2017
Umass offers great benefits. I was in a different facility than home base. I worked in a setting where UMass hired out medical people as contractors.
Pros
Holidays off.
Cons
Administration kept changing.
Typical old style run it till it fails and blame the maintenence mentality
Engineer Building Systems Operator/ Control Tech (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 24, 2016
Mid Management is a bit old school. My position is very demanding as I am understaffed. Equipment is antiquated and inefficient but aesthetics overrules efficiency I guess.
There are many good workers there with great attitudes but are frustrated by the ones who can't do there jobs but are only there because they are friends with someone high up like the director or a Senator, typical in many institutions.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Lazy workers frustration
drowning in middle management
RN Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAOctober 6, 2016
Ineffective middle management, mine is poorly organized, often blames staff for her disorganization, micromanagement, lack of autonomy, staff underutilized
Pros
Nice benefits
Cons
lack of autonomy
typical day at work
Network Architect (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MASeptember 9, 2016
I am usually involved in design/architecture and configuration template aspects of projects and I enjoy the work. The colleagues here are cordial and cooperative.
Cons
The commute
Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 7, 2016
Worked at UMass Med for 8 years. Collaborated with great scientist and faculty. HR/Management was disconnected with employees which made getting information more difficult that it should be.
Pros
great labs and research
Cons
HR and Management
Innovative and fast-paced culture contributes to the lab's success and acclamation in Molecular Medicine
Molecular Medicine Intern (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 10, 2016
The Molecular Medicine lab at UMMS is very clean, modern, and innovative. New technology allows students and interns like myself to gain hands-on knowledge in a field that is rapidly expanding. I would recommend work in this lab to any young scientist interested in Molecular Medicine.
Great work environment
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 29, 2016
Umass Medical is full of potentials and is a great way of getting started. I work there as a Research Coordinator and enjoy it very much. I have friendly coworkers and an understanding supervisor.
Fast paced
Desktop Engineer System Admin (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 13, 2015
Sometimes fast can get in the way of getting things done, but fast paced keeps you moving and improvising on solutions.
It's fun working with a variety of customers such as students, faculty, administrative staff and senior executive.
Excellent work environment
Case Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MASeptember 14, 2015
Nice, professional people work here and they really care about their work. Need more opportunities for advancement for people who work hard.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
Advancement based somewhat on politics
Good employer
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE I (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 9, 2015
Umass medical was a great company to work for. However, being in the field of academia requires applying for funding every year which doesn't always work out. I was with this company for about 3 years during which time I was trained in the different techniques and services provided by the department. During this time I had little opportunity to utilize the skills acquired in training since I was assigned to specific roles within the company. I feel my role with this company was very limiting as I wasn't allowed to grow professionally.
Pros
discounts
Cons
limited opportunities
Productive and fun place to work
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 1, 2015
I enjoyed working there very much, I enjoyed learning new things and meeting new people!! We had group luncheons and celebrated Birthdays.
Pros
Close by and convenient to get to
Cons
no breaks and no pay increases
A Living Nightmare
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMay 23, 2015
I worked for UMass Medical School for a couple years. In my time with the school I was devalued as an employee and under the constant harassment of an unqualified supervisor who was threatened by my credentials which far exceeded hers. Management created a hostile work environment and instigated coworkers to form allegiances against other employees. You will be working among many bitter, middle aged women. Human Resources and the Union workers were of no assistance in resolving or even addressing these matters.

The building was absolutely filthy and had poor ventilation. I had a vent over my desk that would put out some thick yellow dust. I would need to sanitize my desk and area a couple times throughout the day to eliminate most of it. All you will hear is coworkers coughing and sneezing. The carpets would go a long time unvaccumed or cleaned. It was at everyone's discretion to clean their individual cubicle area (most opted not to do so). I had one woman personally scream at me because the chemical smell of a Lysol wipe was causing her breathing problems so I'd wait until she was not around to clean my area.

The micromanaging was unbelievable. We would spend more time explaining/justifying our actions than actually doing our job. Bathroom breaks timed, had coworkers keeping an eye on each other incase something was missed by Supervisor, etc. I was headed toward a mental breakdown always worried what the next criticism/attack would be! It was a very easy job made unnecessary difficult.

I was advised by my Supervisor I couldn't use a personal day to attend a family
  more... member's funeral and reprimanded for attending despite exemplatory attendance. I was reprimanded for attending.

They look for reasons to deduct from your paycheck. They take a lot out towards retirement, you don't put in for Social Security, they charge for parking (@ least $416 a year) and look for reasons to fine you in parking lot, union dues, etc.

I strongly recommend anyone considering employment to really explore all your options because serious changes need to be made to promote a healthy and thriving work environment. Many departments have little to no advancement opportunities. I was advised upon hire there was plenty of advancement opportunities; however, long standing employees painted the same bleak picture I saw.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Micromanaging, bullying, dirty work environment, many deductions from paycheck
great experience
Information Services Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 6, 2015
I learned a lot about first level technical support and gave me my start to becoming a desktop technician. I worked at the Umass Help desk and students and employees would call in with their technical problems. We would walk them through what we were capable of and would have to log each and every call into a service call application named Heat. I had to create user accounts for all new users and maintenance for corrupt roaming profiles.
Pros
good money and experience
Cons
was gone 11 hours per day and had a child, it was hard
Wonderful place to work. Challenging work. People are very helpful.
Administrative Support Temp Work (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 19, 2015
Checking emails and responding to them. Dealing with the faculty and students. Organizing individual sessions. Preparing handouts for different meetings and sessions. Making sure that the sessions were covered by the faculty. Co-workers are always willing to help and teach. The hardest part is that there isn't enough time in a day. The most enjoyable part is that it very rewarding and challenging.
Pros
Great work environment. People are really nice.
Cps
CPS Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MANovember 20, 2014
My typical day consists of managing 10 personnel for the Clinical Pharmacy Services. In this role, I managed the administrative personnel and made sure all information has been safeguarded
Pros
Lunch room
Research Associate I (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 25, 2014
Pros:Lots of learning opportunity, interactions with other disciplines/labs. Good benefits.
a good place for PhD students
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 29, 2014
a good place for PhD students
good relationship between different laboratories
Great
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 24, 2014
So much fun and you learn so much. You can develop your skills a lot.
Busy
Project Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 12, 2014
I work for two Principal Investigators (PI'S) in the department of Medicine. I am the Project Assistant to both and work on each of their scientific grants, a U19 and a P01 respectively. My job entails, monthly financial reports, meeting with them to go over spending on said grants. Purchasing of supplies and other miscellaneous Administrative work as they come.

My co-workers are very good, knowledgeable individuals.

The unfortunate part of my job is being laid off. Without grant funding I will be laid off once again. This is nerve wracking and I just want to work someplace where there is no fear of being laid off, I would like to retire in the same place.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with PI's who just do not listen and just think things can get done last minute which constantly puts more and more stress on an individual. I work without complaint and do the very best I can.

What I enjoy doing best is the Administrative assisting. I like booking travel arrangements, reimbursements, scheduling faculty/visitors.

My background is not accounting and this is the part I do not like.
Pros
I am able to take time off for Doctors appointments when needed.
Cons
Parking.
Productive and fun workday with team oriented people like myself :)
Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMarch 25, 2014
I get to work say hello to everyone and get started with my day. I learned Data Entry and the manager was very informative. I didn't have an interview I just went to this job and started working and I did very well I must say. My co-workers there were very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was leaving after getting to know people there. I enjoyed going to work everyday working independently and getting the job done. I really enjoyed working for Umass Medical and would go work there again if I had the opportunity in the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UMass Medical School. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9