UMass Memorial Medical Center Employee Reviews

Challenging and productive experience with grateful patient population.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 10, 2012
Through my experience in the administrative setting at UMass Memorial Health Care, I have learned a wide variety of administrative duties. These duties include working in various systems such as Meditech, Allscripts, IDX and SharePoint, which assist in various aspects of patient care. I also have comprehensive experience with Microsoft Office, which aids a variety of organizational purposes. I have learned to efficiently work with insurance companies to ensure that the proper approvals and guidelines are in place for the patient’s evaluation, while ensuring that our social workers, financial
coordinators and clinical providers and support are briefed on all aspects of the patients status and care. I am responsible for developing intakes and a variety of other encounter forms that relate to the different aspects of multidisciplinary evaluations and transplant care. In addition, I work in the clinic directly with the patients and their families to facilitate their appointments and care through our department, while coordinating with a variety of other departments and diagnostic services to ensure that they receive organized healthcare.

In my previous position, I worked for over two years as the Coordinator for Neuropsychology. During this experience I worked as the main point of contact for adult patients with Alzheimer’s disease, dementia and various other cognitive disorders, while working with the parents and families of pediatric patients with educational and developmental disorders. I obtained prior authorizations, followed up with insurance companies in regard to changing
  more... policies and prior authorization denials and maintained and actively worked our database for any outstanding referrals and cases. I did intakes, developed clinical patient packets and scheduled patient
appointments. In addition, I managed the provider’s schedules, while performing various other administrative duties to ensure coordinated
care from start to finish. In this position I also assigned work and oversaw the production of a part-time staff assistant and volunteer.

Having worked effectively in various departments of healthcare, I have gained a sense of pride in being able to assist professionals from a wide variety of fields, as well as provide support and coordinated care for patients. I have fine-tuned my ability to multitask, while maintaining professionalism and a positive attitude.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
management
Value instilled organization with great patient care
Personal Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 13, 2013
Here, I worked as a PCA in an extremely busy outpatient clinic with twenty five doctors on rotating schedules, four nurses, and two PCAs. My job entailed to arriving patients, checking their health information, requesting copies of insurance cards, obtaining consent for HIPPA purposes, and verifying proper preregistration was completed. I would bring patients into a private room where we would review their current, past, social, and family medical history, medications, obtain accurate vital signs, and answer any questions they mat have. After, I would seat them in a treatment room and notify the doctor that they were ready to be seen. If the doctor was busy, I would ask them to return to the waiting room until their turn to be seen. Maintaining a stable schedule increased the patient flow and allowed for the day to run smoothly. If the patient needed a chaperon, I would accompany and console them while assisting the physician during the procedure. Once the patient was evaluated, the doctor would come to me and inform me of various orders like MRIs and other procedures. I would then educate the patient on preparations for accurate testing. I would record and share information with different scheduling departments so I could see the job was completed. During all of this, I was required to complete other tasks, such as printing and dispersing the next days schedule. I would fax various orders and medical information using HIPPA guidelines. I would gather information for physicians by requesting information from the proper facilities. Patients would call with various questions and  more... it would be my responsibility to answer them to the best of my knowledge or forward the information to the proper party. I enjoyed assisting physicians in patient care. I enjoyed seeing patients have a comfortable visit when they are not feeling well and giving them the care they truly deserve. The hardest part of my job would be to hear of someone experiencing a terminal illness.  less
Pros
great benefits, phenominal group of care providers
Cons
none....
A great start to a great career change
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 29, 2015
Being a second shift technologist, a typical day at work begins with connecting with fellow co-workers for a report on the day's events. We, the evening shift work together to cover all the required areas including outpatient clinical, portables, OR, spine center, joint center imaging. Because we have a smaller staff than the day shift we all cooperate by smoothly flowing from one task to another. For example, first you may have a few portable xrays in the NICU and next you're doing a multiple trauma study in the ER. The ability to change hats is one of the most useful and effective skills I have acquired. Because we work second shift we are mostly self managing which is another valuable skill. Me and my co-workers take turns when simple management skills are required. Of course we properly report any significant events for our managers to keep them in the loop. The hardest part of the job for me has been dealing with security issues and patients with bad intentions (i.e., drug seekers). There are many best parts for me. I find working the c-arm on orthopaedic cases in the OR fascinating. Caring for elderly patients is also very satisfying. Often I find myself in awe of their strength and knowledge despite the fact that they may be terminally ill. I chose to change my career path almost ten years ago to become a rad tech. The only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner.
Pros
Diverse work environment, good benefits, good salary, good coworkers
Cons
Long commute, parking issues, equipment breakdown issues
Future employee candidate BEWARE!
HR Benefits Representive (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 13, 2013
My work was based in Human Resource area. I'm writing this review because people need to be aware of this employer. This is a toxic work environment and culture. This is such a large employer that upper management gets away with bullying and manipulations. If you are a union employee your rights seems to be heard. Be aware if you are not a union employee. The management abuse power. During my tenure I watched 7 teams be completely replaced. You are not recognized for your skill set or what you accomplish. You will only survive in this company by who you know. The company is so big that they "lay off" and fire through out the company constantly. I loved what I did for my job but the management was awful. The best part of the job were the benefits. The co-workers were mean. There were alot of ''bully" co workers that got away with very poor behavior that wouldn't be tolerated in other companies. This is a very dishonest company. The dishonesty starts at the top with upper management. Employees within the Human Resource department are not fairly represented like the rest of the work force. If you are a professional, steer clear of this employer.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
toxic work enviroment with too many office politics
great work place with wonderful staff
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 16, 2014
MY TYPICAL DAY...
Hit the ground running, we start the day at 8am, and when i get here there are already patients waiting to be roomed, in between the rooming of the patients i will check my task list with any triage calls
and try to call these patients in between, also do the refill line, and the constant stocking of the rooms and the immunization room, we also have nurse visits, that have to be done, b12, depo, missed
immunizations, ppd plants. Also during the day I look ahead and
print all the labs for the patients coming and or call them to remind them to please get there labs done. During the day i get numerous calls from my established patients with many questions, and also the calls from the vna. We are also responsible for sending out all the lab letter to the patient with normal labs and further work up needed.The hardest part of my job is just trying to get it all done and to keep everyone happy and safe. The most enjoyable part of my job is the patients and helping them, I get alot of joy from that, i love that they call me and ask for me by name, I feel like that i really make a difference here.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
sometimes short staffed
I have been with UMass for 11year and, the learning experience, benefits, the envioroment, the culture is great.
Nurses Aide (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 27, 2014
I get to work at 8am, swipe in, and check the board to see what I have to do for the day. My recent position at UMass is a coder trainee at their coding institute. We start our day by going over the previous charts that we coded for corrections. We take a coffee brake at 10am for 15 minutes the back to the classroom for 1 hour lectures. By 11am we start going through new charts. Between reading charts and coding then, we manage to check work emails and do other stuff. Patients charts can have up to 150 pages and up to 30 codes. we take our lunch break at 12 noon and come back more coding till 4.30pm. I always take my coding book home to read the coding rules to prepare for the next morning.
I have learned a lot from this institute. My co-workers are great with team work. The hardest part of all is locating some of the codes are very difficult. Depending if every thing is documented well in the chart or not.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with 3M billing and reimbursement. It's very fan, and can't wait to work full time with it.
Pros
getting paid to study.
Cons
short breaks
great place for someone with medical background
Sr. Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 8, 2014
UMass is a nice place to work with up to date technology and knowledge in the field of medicine. The training is ongoing and the environment and education is growing each and every day. A typical work day is from 8 to 5p along with temporary and part time positions. I learned how to work with all types of people and also I grew to be very caring and personable with all I came in contact with. My co-workers were another reason why I loved going to work. We all worked as a team and supported one another. The hardest part of the job was the developing relationships with the patients and trying to not make it personal. I treated each person as if they were my family. The most enjoyable part of my job was the amount of friendships and seeing patients and co-workers happy. And knowing that my work was responsible for putting a smile on someone's face.
Pros
free training and seminars for continued learning in the medical field
Cons
very busy environment and can be stressful at times if you are not used to alot of stress
Colleagues were very dedicated to patient care and supportive to each other.
Manager (Former Employee) –  University campus, WorcesterMarch 3, 2013
Physicians were dedicated, well educated & caring. Nurses are struggling for automomy and support. Patient care has begun to suffer from lack of organization and misdirection and conflicting messages from senior leadership. Unfortunately the current administration is shifty. To prosper the organization is in need of a good clean sweep from senior director level through VP & Sr.VP. Current focus is financial with lack of concern for quality or patient care. There does not seem to be a plan in place for stability or growth of servives other than dehumanizing people who work there. it is a " who you know " political game rather than " what you know". UMMHC needs to get its act together to return to being revered for a caring compassionate place for staff and patients.
Pros
nurses are caring but its short staffed, front line managers are skillful & caring.
Cons
senior administration is dishonest & self-serving and lack a plan for stability and growth.
Good pay but not much career mobility available for psychology
1:1 Patient Observer (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJanuary 7, 2014
Typically you are assigned to an individual that has been identified as "needing a 1:1" at the beginning of your shift and you simply maintain there safety for your entire shift. They provide excellent training (Nonviolent Crisis Intervention- "Crisis Prevention Institute" and Basic Life Support- "American Heart Association."
The only issue I had with this job is that it gets too boring after a few months of staring a white wall while your patient sleeps because if you are located on the psych floor. You are not allowed any form of entertainment while on a 1:1 to ensure you are focused on maintaining your assigned patient's safety.
Excellent job for getting your "feet wet" in the field of psychology if you recently obtained your BS in psychology and are having difficulty finding employment.
Pros
great training and job experience
Cons
extremely repetetive and boring after a few months. not much career mobility offered.
Productive, friendly and patient focus work environment.
Phlebotomy Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Worcester MassMarch 20, 2014
A typical day was busy busy busy. I was the supervisor so normally it would start with making sure all staff was accounted for. Then any complaints or concerns that I needed to address. Report to management and give a hand in the phlebotomy stations as required.

My manager at the time was the best example I have ever experienced. She taught me so much in the time I was there, but one thing stood out the most was when she said, "choose your battles".

The staff of phlebotomist had to be the hardest working phlebotomist I had ever seen. When ever I needed someone to stay over time I always had a volunteer. So ready to help. They were great!

The hardest part of the job was the travel, I lived almost an hour away. So if it was a long night that was not something you looked forward to.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning experience and professional environment. It did not get any better than that.,
Great company to work for.
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 9, 2013
Re-image Desktops (Windows/Linux/Wyse Thin Client Desktops) to update them to UMASS Memorial Follow me Desktop Worked with Citrix to access VDI (virtual desktop interface) to the user devices. Protocols, such as Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) or Citrix's HDX, to use to communicate between the user device and virtual desktop. Installed and configured Wyse C10LE and C90LEW Thin Client Desktops in a Large Scale Hospital deployment. Used troubleshooting skills to solve various problems with VDI, Follow me Desktop, Windows XP, Windows 7, Microsoft Office and Ubuntu.Ran registry and scripts to ensure thin clients operate properly Installed network printers, scanners and other peripheral devices Work with Microsoft Access Database to organize and update deployment status and/or issues Worked with Avaya phones to set up voicemail and register phone extension to desktop.
Good place to work.
Payment Processor Senior (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 26, 2015
Umass Memorial is good place to work,with good benefits, and advance opportunities,it's the largest employer in the area and I had a very good experience working there .
A typical day of work is a mix of pre- scheduled office tasks and the unexpected demands of a major medical institution.
I learned to multitask, to work very organized ,and to work in teams and meet deadlines.
Management promoted a good working environment .
The multi ethnic work force of Umass Memorial is composed of great people with good attitude
The hardest part of my job, was not be able to provide all the solutions to some of the problems that the patients brought to my customer service desk, due to lack of insurance.
No doubt the best part of the job was to be able to help patients to find solutions and answers to their billing and insurances inquires.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Parking
Accomodating work schedule especially for full-time students
Lab Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 31, 2013
I have been trained on Meditech software where I can register patients, add tests, and manage all necessary personal information for our clients. I take incoming calls from nurses and doctors who have questions about tests and patient's results. Management works around your school schedule and they are extremely organized and helpful when you have specific questions. My co-workers are I work as a team to get our daily tasks accomplished. The hardest part of the job is fixing mistakes that nurses, doctors, and other hospitals have made because it is so time consuming. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help patients who are in need of our services.
Pros
guaranteed breaks, great benefits, vacation
Cons
laying off people because the laboratory was bought out by quest diagnostics
Simple and Fun workplace with Great People.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 3, 2013
Around 6 am we would start out by emptying the trash all along the hospital grounds. This was typically followed by a day of mowing, weed whacking, raking, and typical landscaper duties.
I learned a lot from working there mostly work ethic and self-motovation, along with training with all types of landscaping tools. My managers were very demanding and made us strive to do the best job possible. My co-workers and myself got along great and we formed bonds that have and will last a long time. The hardest party of the job was in the winter with snow removal. Cold, wet, shifts that would last upwards of 60+ hrs. The best part of the job by far was being outside all day in the nice summer weather.
Pros
great training. hours worked great with schooling
Cons
long and brutal shifts in the winter, micromanagement style of management. low pay
My years and experience at UMASS
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 17, 2014
I have enjoyed my job @ UMASS for approximately 34 years.
I enjoy the medical field because of the interaction daily of many people, and the skills that I have learned over the years. I work very hard to keep well organized and like to keep structure in my assigned duties. I have learned compassion and communication and expression through a positve attitude helps daily.
My job can be very stressful at times and I have to know how to multitask and keep a positive enviroment around me, which can be difficult but possible...The hardest part of my job is the loss of a patient but we have support groups that help with that. The best part of my job is the sucesses that come back to visit us....
Pros
benifits are good and day hours
Cons
working everyother weekend and everyother holiday
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  worcester, MAOctober 8, 2014
o Answered a high volume of calls and also made a high volume of calls.
o Reported Critical, Positive and urgent results to health care providers within the hospital and other health care facilities.
o Provided proper test codes and how to properly collect the blood for the test.
o Set up and scheduled pick up’s and drawers for our outreach clients.
o Registration for some of the outreach clients. Inputting patient’s demographics and the proper testing that was needed.
o Added test on into the computer that doctors wanted.
o Did some scheduling. I would be charge when my boss was out of the office. Ordered all the office supplies.
o I have knowledge of MS office Suites, Sorian Medical program, Cosmocom phone system, Salesforce and Meditech.
o Trained new employee’s
Busy, Productive Job
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 14, 2012
Working at Umass was busy and chaotic but I loved it. There was always something going on, whether it was new admissions into the ICU or some sort of medical emergency. I helped stock crash carts, and keep the supply room stocked at all times. I also assisted the nursing staff with various forms of care from bathing, and rotating positions, to assisting with ventilators. I learned so many new medicals skills, and really advanced my medical vocabulary as well. My co-workers were great. I usually worked with 1 or 2 other other PCAs, the rest were nurses. The hardest part was the 12 hour stretch, although it was manageable, and the best part was how active I was and how busy the ICU always was. I loved being on my feet all day.
Strong medical teaching community
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 4, 2014
UMass provided a wonderful opportunity for me to grow as a provider. Starting as a new nurse in the ER setting, the management, fellow colleagues and nurse educators were all very supportive. This is a very busy Emergency Department and as a result during the typical work day when acuity and patient census would rise, assistance was not always available. This challenge created a significant amount of stress on the typical employee which could be seen as a difficulty. However, I chose to view this as a challenge and appreciated the opportunity to succeed in a very high stress setting.
Pros
medical staff always willing to educate.
Cons
occasionally overwhelming patient acuity and census.
great place to work. positive, friendly environment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 5, 2014
worked 8:30-5 most days, longer when needed. The nursing staff and administrative assistants were a pleasure to work with. The surgeons' clinics were extremely busy, however they remained a positive attitude toward the staff. They were always eager to teach about mri results,and answered the many questions regarding patient care in a friendly manner. It was nice when there was down time so the staff could interact with each other. Every Christmas they took good care of the staff.
Pros
luncheons provided by the surgeons, yearly summer gatherings
Cons
some days we did not get a full break because it it was so busy.
Productive environment and fast pace
Ambulatory Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 26, 2012
A typical day was a very high patient volume, emergency calls, scheduling, registeration, therapy and doctor interaction,
co-workers worked very hard and kept up the speed as needed
i learned how to deal with patients in pain, with financial issues, sometimes mental issues
Hardest part of the job was not knowing who to contact when certain information was needed b/c of the amount of departments we had daily contact with.
most enjoyable part of the job was watching the patients improve with their injuries and attitudes
Pros
earned time placed in vacation bank
Cons
low staffing