UMass Memorial Medical Center Employee Reviews

Productive and exciting place to work
Phlebotomist of Patient Service Center (Former Employee), Marlborough MA.August 11, 2015
Pros: Learning, developing new relationships and long lasting friendships.
Cons: Selling their Laboratory Outpatient Department.
I had a great learning and social experience working for UMass Memorial Laboratories. I loved my job working with their Physicians and their patients.
I wish I had been able to continue at my office that was located in Marlborough MA. but unfortunately it had been closed at the time of the sale.
Good Place to Work
Staff Accountant (Current Employee), Worcester, MAAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Lots of hand-on learning and readily available help
Cons: They hire outside employees limiting upward potential
Partly due to a thin staff, the work load will certainly keep you busy, but you learn a lot. The people are all very nice and helpful. Good management!
Medical biller
Senior Medical Biller (Former Employee), Worcester, MAAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Great work environment. Great healthcare
Cons: Union
You start with about 5-10 pages of all medical bills for customers. You call the customers insurance carrier and see if they have received the medical claim, get the claim number, and if the claim has been processed, you need to get the date paid, the check number and check amount. You can also check online websites only if given access.
Very good benefits, education advancment, career advancment
Ambulatory Service Representative (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJuly 30, 2015
UMass overall is a very good company to work for. The benefits are very good. However, they are financially going through some difficulties causing many layoffs and a stressful work environment.
Good place to work.
Payment Processor Senior (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits
Cons: Parking
Umass Memorial is good place to work,with good benefits, and advance opportunities,it's the largest employer in the area and I had a very good experience working there .
A typical day of work is a mix of pre- scheduled office tasks and the unexpected demands of a major medical institution.
I learned to multitask, to work very organized ,and to work in teams and meet deadlines.
Management promoted – more... a good working environment .
The multi ethnic work force of Umass Memorial is composed of great people with good attitude
The hardest part of my job, was not be able to provide all the solutions to some of the problems that the patients brought to my customer service desk, due to lack of insurance.
No doubt the best part of the job was to be able to help patients to find solutions and answers to their billing and insurances inquires. – less
Helped patients concentrate on recovery-not bills!
Medical Financial Counselor (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJuly 23, 2015
Pros: learning the coding and billing process is fantastic, because you can do it anywhere!
Cons: Over abundance of paperwork, getting screamed at by patients.
I thoroughly enjoyed working as a biller and financial counselor. You learn so much. Time management, keeping items in order, and following your calendar are necessary!
Efficient work not appreciated
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJune 6, 2015
Although my one fault was not being on time occasionally, within the seven minutes usually, I am unhappy with the management team in the Radiology department on the Memorial campus. I ended up quitting a job I loved and strive to work more efficient and complete quality work. But the time was more important at the many slow satellite locations and no matter how good I was, I was on the road to being fired, so I quit in order to not make myself more sick. I am wondering whether or not my separation with the company was completely legal or not.
of the institution
RN Charge Nurse (Current Employee), Worcester, MAMay 31, 2015
Pros: good salary and benefit
Cons: impersonal outside of your unit speciality area
UMMHCC has been a very educating experience and very dedicated to changing treatment strategies based on current research and staff ideas. Co-workers are mostly dedicated motivated individuals At times there are too many committes and too long to implement change secondary size of the hospital and multiple layers of administration
Great Benefits, Decent Pay
Accounts Receivable Specialist II (Former Employee), Worcester, MAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Great flexibility, generous time off.
Cons: Very strict about socialization during working hours.
Overall, the benefits and pay are good. Management can be tough to deal with. Not a place for socialization, so if you need or want a job where you can talk all day, this is not the place for you.
dedicated pharmacy staff who want to enrich inpatient pharmacy setting.
PHARMACY INTERN (Former Employee), Worcester, MAMay 13, 2015
Pros: Unique experiences.
Cons: A lot of projects, need to manage time to get things done.
Working with my preceptor allowed me to experience different facets of pharmacy. We had a field-trip to Boston for pharmacist-provider status and talked with legislators about the bill; participated in community outreach program where we helped people with financial disadvantage to repair their house. Going on rounds with medical team and address medication issues... etc. Very good experiences and would recommend for potential interns who consider working for UMASS.
Tough environment
Clerical student (Former Employee), Worcester, MAMay 6, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: Short breaks
The hardest part of the job was dealing with rude patients who have appointments. A typical day was starting work off slow and then quickly picking up the pace as the day goes on.
Productive and fun place
Lead Supervisor and Billing Coordinator (Former Employee), Worcester, MAApril 30, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: Busy all Day
In Charge of 18 Employee
Reports
Payroll
Fun Place
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee), Worcester, MAApril 27, 2015
Very down to earth and great communication. The managers there encourage communication by all departments and writing reports to keep track of everything,.
A great start to a great career change
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Diverse work environment, good benefits, good salary, good coworkers
Cons: Long commute, parking issues, equipment breakdown issues
Being a second shift technologist, a typical day at work begins with connecting with fellow co-workers for a report on the day's events. We, the evening shift work together to cover all the required areas including outpatient clinical, portables, OR, spine center, joint center imaging. Because we have a smaller staff than the day shift we all cooperate by smoothly flowing from one task to another. – more... For example, first you may have a few portable xrays in the NICU and next you're doing a multiple trauma study in the ER. The ability to change hats is one of the most useful and effective skills I have acquired. Because we work second shift we are mostly self managing which is another valuable skill. Me and my co-workers take turns when simple management skills are required. Of course we properly report any significant events for our managers to keep them in the loop. The hardest part of the job for me has been dealing with security issues and patients with bad intentions (i.e., drug seekers). There are many best parts for me. I find working the c-arm on orthopaedic cases in the OR fascinating. Caring for elderly patients is also very satisfying. Often I find myself in awe of their strength and knowledge despite the fact that they may be terminally ill. I chose to change my career path almost ten years ago to become a rad tech. The only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner. – less
Cash Posting Clerk (Current Employee), Marlborough, MAMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, vacation time.
Cons: lack of communication and interaction between Managers and employee.
On a typical day at work is quite past paced. We learn new things and adapt new software management as it comes. Managers set the goal and we try to accomplish it in a timely manner There is always lot to do and lot to learn at this work place. Co workers are helpful and give helping hand when we needed. The best part of the work is they give good benefits. The hardest part of the job is there is so much to do in so little time. Over all it is a great place to work.
Basic
LPN Float pool (Former Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 25, 2015
Its was a lot of hard work with very little recognition. You do have a varied area to transfer to in order to vary you work experience. With in the last several years job security varies with the numerous lay off. The department that were patient centered were very hectic but manageable it you work with a good team.
Elvolving after large layoff.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 14, 2015
Pros: good benifits
Cons: management not forthcoming with layoff information.
Learned instrumentation to complete toxicology testing. Great group of techs. Management changed often during tenure, not always for the best of the department.
Energetic helpful managment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 10, 2015
Pros: benefits
UMass is all about helping employees advance within the organization. Tuition reimbursement allows you to further your education while continuing to work.
Health Care Management
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 8, 2015
Fast paced high volume daily operations that keep you hopping to provide the best place to give care and get care.
Health care is changing daily with the Affordable Care Act taking hold in both good and bad aspects which makes the daily processes evolve regularly to keep you on your toes and to be able to learn new skills regularly.
It have been a very rewarding experience with lot of hard working
Senior Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee), Worcester, MAFebruary 16, 2015
people. In the 12 years that I have work here, I have been utilize to train new employee and traveler. At work you come in say hello to everyone, ask the supervisor what is the priorities of the day. In central processing seem like everyday you learn something new.
Headquarters