UMass Memorial Medical Center Employee Reviews

i like the job
house keeping (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 14, 2018
working at u mass was a good job i like my boss and everyone i work with it was busy all the time i got pay good it just a good job i like to work there some day a gin
UMass Review
Executive Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 12, 2018
UMass is a wonderful company to work for, great people and benefits, however; they are very hesitant to move people to higher positions once you are in a position.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Little room for advancement
Sr. Production Control Tech - Night
Sr. Production Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 12, 2018
This position is scheduled 12 hours per night (7pm - 7am), with 3 nights on - 3 nights off, 2 nights on - 2 nights off, including weekends. During these hours, my responsibility was to monitor hospital servers, switches and systems to ensure the hospital continues to run 24/7. If a system fails, I troubleshoot and contact the required personnel to remedy the issue. I am also responsible for processing the weekly payroll system, including printing checks, backup up files and executing system processes to ensure all employees receive their paycheck via direct deposit.
I am responsible for training and supervising 4 employees and I my manager only communicates with me via email, as he works during the daytime.
The most enjoyable part of this position is the responsibility that falls on me to ensure the computer systems run smoothly during the evening and early morning hours, as well as supervisor my team. The hardest part is the hours. Although I needed to work these nightly hours so that I can care for my young children during the day, they are all grown and I am now looking for a challenging daytime position.
Pros
self motivated
Cons
hours, pay
Good place to learn
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 9, 2018
I was a new phlebotomist at the time so it was a good place to get experience drawing pediatric through geriatric patients and people who were very difficult to draw.
Great place to work, but very life-consuming
Catering Associate/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 9, 2018
I worked in the kitchen for almost a decade. The whole time I was there we worked 3 12 hour shifts and one 6 hour shift per week. There was a lot of opportunity for overtime and the time and a half and shift differentials made it worth working 60-70 hours a week, nights, weekends and holidays. Even without overtime, though, it was pretty life-consuming. It was very fast-paced but I learned a lot about specialty diets and reasons why patients might be restricted from consuming certain items. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet literally all day, especially on a particularly busy unit. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with people who ended up being good friends. That and when patients and/or their family or unit staff recognized your hard work.
Pros
great pay, great benefits, job security
Cons
management not following through, poor work/life balance
great company to work for
Sr. Medical Records Associate (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 3, 2018
love the job i do and the people i work with, very nice place to work for everyone is very resourceful and team players, very family oriented and customer service is awesome.
Pros
great team players
Cons
n/a
Fun place to work , very competive .
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 26, 2017
When I first started working at UMassMemorial, I was treated with respect and my colleagues gave me high praise for the good work ,I was doing as a food service worker. In addition, I established a strong rapport with my supervisor and colleagues at work.
Next, I can work independently or collaboratively because I have knowledge of temperature control while cooking, and preparation of food safety..
Pros
working in the kitchen food is free for the dishwashers.
Cons
fifteen minute break for all employees working in the kitchen.
Intern
SURE Summer Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 26, 2017
Great internship program for undergraduate students to gain exposure to research environment and work closely with a PI on a valuable biomedical research project.
Inconsistent staffing negatively impacted job performance
ER Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Health Alliance HospitalDecember 17, 2017
Case Management staffing was inconsistent and negatively impacted the departments overall job performance. Weekends consisted of 1 CM to oversee the whole hospital. CM's were often overwhelmed and unable to complete tasks leading to a high incidence of mistakes.
It's a good Place to work
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 14, 2017
I have been part of UmassMemorial for 15yrs I can't complain much about my positions in between this yrs that I have been here. I enjoyed coming in to work everyday and learn new things everyday nice people good environment.

I have learned lot's of things filing chart, sorting prepping scanning indexing electronic paper .
Manage multi calls from patient,attorney and doctors office requesting stats to be fax to there office.

management i don't have no problem get along with all my supervisors with all the respect.

hardest part of my job (never thought about it ) i do like challenges I like to learned and do everything that I'm told to do.

the most enjoyable i get along with my co-workers.
Pros
no pros
Cons
no cons
Unit Secretary
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 14, 2017
I was a US in the ED. I loved me time there. The pay is good. Sometimes the other secretaries call out and you have to work short. Other than that it is a great place to work with awesome benefits.
Pros
Pay, benefits, flexible hours
Cons
parking
Quick paced and active environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 4, 2017
My job consisted of answering phones and providing patient information to doctors, nurses and phlebotomy. I also took requests to add on labs to previous blood orders received. I also called critical blood and microbiology results to the doctors who ordered them. There was always something to do in this job and i loved it. A lot of multi tasking which prepared me to be fast and efficient in my work
Pros
great healthcare benefits and staff
Cons
sometime a lot of work for one person
SR. MEDICAL SECRETARY, Internal Medicine (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MANovember 30, 2017
Love working for UMass lots of great benefits. Very considerate on providing time off. Understand family life is important. They honor the work that employees do.
Good place to work - good benefits
Outpatient Coding Specialist -HIM (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 27, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at UMass. I began my time there at entry level and was promoted from within. The work hours were excellent and I enjoyed working remotely. The management and my team members were great to work with.
Stressful, team oriented hospital.
Patient Observer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 24, 2017
A typical day at work was to report to my manager and be assigned to a patient. Once with the patient, I could not leave the room until I was relieved for lunch or breaks. The best part of the job was when I was assigned to an elderly person or a young person with emotional problems. The hardest part of the job was being assigned to a drunk person or a drug addict. These patients were often verbally abusive to me. I learned to deal with many different types of people.
Pros
Caring for people
Cons
Not being able to leave room.
Unit secretary
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 20, 2017
Great coworkers and awesome benefits, awful management who don’t communicate to staff well and sometimes not at all. No job security, often felt like you might get laid off. I would not recommend working here.
Benefits
Great Place, good benefits
Lead Scheduling Representative (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 20, 2017
Its very fast paced. I hope with Epic, the workload is easier to manage. In my area of outpatient surgery, there are great people but you definately need to stand ground.
Technical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 14, 2017
fast paced always something to do, very good friendly people to work with, always on your feet, learned alot and made alot of new friends. worked at multiple locations and got to do lead and work on the Epic implementation
Fun place
Ambulatory Health Representative (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 14, 2017
Umass medical center is a very nice place to work at, people are friendly, kind and very professional. I am only leaving because of the hours other wise i would stay.
Stressful
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 14, 2017
Stressful but well compensated and benefits are great. Large facility with many opportunities to move around and try something different. Union hospital.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UMass Memorial Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2