UMass Memorial Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Great benefits but not so great management
Patient Access Services Rep (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 13, 2016
I worked as a patient access services rep in the call center. The job can be very demanding. You are expected to answer a certain amount of calls and you are given a "report card" every month based on how many calls you take, how long you are on "not ready"- which you use if you have to use the restroom, type a message to the doctor, etc, and whether you created a duplicate MRN. They also grade you on how many scheduling errors you make. You are given a big book on the scheduling rules for each clinic (I had to schedule for about 9 different clinics). The clinics hate central scheduling and they are very rude to you. Management is not so friendly and does not make you feel like you have someone you can go to if you have an isssue. They don't praise you enough for good work and always up your butt if you make any errors. This is coming from someone who barely made errors. It's a typical 8 hour day with only 1 hour break in between. No other breaks are given.
Pros
Great benefits such as insurance and paid time off.
Cons
Demanding job, managers are not very friendly
Good Company to grow in
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 25, 2015
My job is very detail oriented with not much room for error as it is like a domino effect; my error can cause a multitude of errors for others. I have been here for several years and know my job inside and out. There is also plenty of room for growth and movement. My colleagues are all amazing and we are all willing to help each other out.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
The politics
Good place to work.
Payment Processor Senior (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 26, 2015
Umass Memorial is good place to work,with good benefits, and advance opportunities,it's the largest employer in the area and I had a very good experience working there .
A typical day of work is a mix of pre- scheduled office tasks and the unexpected demands of a major medical institution.
I learned to multitask, to work very organized ,and to work in teams and meet deadlines.
Management promoted a good working environment .
The multi ethnic work force of Umass Memorial is composed of great people with good attitude
The hardest part of my job, was not be able to provide all the solutions to some of the problems that the patients brought to my customer service desk, due to lack of insurance.
No doubt the best part of the job was to be able to help patients to find solutions and answers to their billing and insurances inquires.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Parking
productive and entertaining at the same time
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 11, 2016
Happy environment to work and very friendly staff.
The staff is professional and fun to work with.
the most enjoyable part is how I can interact with everyone in the organisation.
The management seems to understand the employees and provide with good activities for their healthy living.
great pay
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 29, 2016
The workload was not excessive like most places out there. You are able to learn numerous new things as a PCA even blood drawing, depending on the department you are in, and the pay is great.
Pros
Great cafe with great food, great pay, great people to work with
Cons
Not all of the nurses like to help out and the management depending on the department, the nurses don't always understanding or great.
Great benefits!
Bed Assignment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 8, 2016
UMass offers a comprehensive benefits for employees! With such a large organization, there is always room to move/advance.
Vast Technology Landscape
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 1, 2015
There is a large collection of EMR technologies in use at UMass. The executive management is not abreast of what they have deployed, what the best utilization should be, or time to entertain best practices much less develop a roadmap.
Pros
Large staff with reasonable skills
Cons
No executive leadership to get from point A to point B. Additionally, they are not utilizing their point A resources in an efficient manner.
Excellent environment
Academic Administrator IV (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 9, 2016
UMASS is a great employer. The culture is rewarding and many opportunities exist. The staff and faculty n the department is great.
There is a great brand new fitness center which is available at all hours for staff.
Pros
Great staff and resources
Cons
To long to commute
good company to work for
physician consultations (Current Employee) –  Leominster, MAFebruary 16, 2016
Good company to work for, helped me get me more experience in the heath care field and get more experience working with doctors and in different office settings.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no maternity leave pay
Friendly Atmosphere
Ins. Referral Specialist and Ins. Verification (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 21, 2016
Friendly atmosphere cubicle setting get along with everyone. Day to day base work independently answer phone calls from patients and doctors office requesting insurance referrals. Check if referral in place if not check for patients insurance eligibility and proceed generate referral fax to doctors office and file in our system. Learned how to verify insurance and generate insurance referrals. Hardest part of the job cannot recall at this time. Most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help all patients and doctors etch.
Pros
working independently in cubicle setting
Efficient work not appreciated
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 6, 2015
Although my one fault was not being on time occasionally, within the seven minutes usually, I am unhappy with the management team in the Radiology department on the Memorial campus. I ended up quitting a job I loved and strive to work more efficient and complete quality work. But the time was more important at the many slow satellite locations and no matter how good I was, I was on the road to being fired, so I quit in order to not make myself more sick. I am wondering whether or not my separation with the company was completely legal or not.
This trauma one center had many oppertunities.
Director of Planning and Access Surgery (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 1, 2015
I had spent a total of 28 years between campuses at this organization. Management continued to change at the upper levels and was shifted with each CNO/CEO change. The facility was cutting edge for technology.
I enjoyed working at UMass Memorial!
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 10, 2016
I absolutely enjoyed working at UMass Memorial as a Unit Clerk. Every day was challenging yet amazingly rewarding. I worked with the best Nurses, Physicians, and staff who always went over and above. I can't say enough about the employees!
The hardest part of the job was the required evenings, holidays, and weekends. Coming from a 22 year job of working Monday through Friday this was very difficult for me.
Supportive work environment
Supervisor, Pulmonary Lab (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 16, 2015
Management is very supportive of me as a supervisor.
My staff is very hard working, professional and a pleasure to manage.
Cash Posting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAMarch 29, 2015
On a typical day at work is quite past paced. We learn new things and adapt new software management as it comes. Managers set the goal and we try to accomplish it in a timely manner There is always lot to do and lot to learn at this work place. Co workers are helpful and give helping hand when we needed. The best part of the work is they give good benefits. The hardest part of the job is there is so much to do in so little time. Over all it is a great place to work.
Pros
Good benefits, vacation time.
Cons
lack of communication and interaction between Managers and employee.
Poor communication staff/clinical leaders
Perioperative RN (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 8, 2016
Found working a 12 hour day that I got a full complement of cases. Cases are not allocated fairly between staff. There is a lot of favoritism between staff members.

Not being treated as a professional.

Not being listened to as a professional if you are not the favorite.
Pros
Busy place.
Cons
Favoritism played, not being heard
Great Benefits, Decent Pay
Accounts Receivable Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 27, 2015
Overall, the benefits and pay are good. Management can be tough to deal with. Not a place for socialization, so if you need or want a job where you can talk all day, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Great flexibility, generous time off.
Cons
Very strict about socialization during working hours.
good atmosphere
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 5, 2016
the experience was great alot of nice people i was just upset because i was just per-diem which means like part time i would be lucky enough to get 28 hours a week....
Pros
meet diffrent people
Cons
alot of sick people very hard to see
Very good benefits, education advancment, career advancment
Ambulatory Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 30, 2015
UMass overall is a very good company to work for. The benefits are very good. However, they are financially going through some difficulties causing many layoffs and a stressful work environment.
fast paced
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 28, 2016
straight and you have to eat while you work no breaks always on the go co-workers are great hardest part of job is not stopping to eat