UMB Financial Corporation

UMB Financial Corporation Employee Reviews

Not my cup a tea, raises are never over % 2, work every weekend
System Engineer II (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 1, 2016
You work on hardware and software that is so old that you can't believe they are getting away with using it. Money transfers are done on a Sun system that is so old, if it breaks they have to rely on people getting parts from staff garages or if lucky they can get it from their warranty service (maybe) This is not a career place, only saw one person promoted in three years. Most managers just move latterly to keep their sanity. Good people don't stay because of all the old ways that don't apply in today's IT environment. Too frustrating for them to put up with upper management.
Pros
Slow pace I guess, You get to pay for parking in UMB's own building.
Cons
raises are low, management is a rotating mess. Promotions seldom
Managed many areas of IT
Vice President - Disaster Recovery (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 10, 2015
Good Benefits, changed upper management several times during employment. I always worked with a dedicated purpose and made close friends and relationships.
Not Pleased
Transaction Specialist/Digital Genius (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MO 64015July 16, 2016
UMB has an awesome, strong history and strong involvement in the Kansas City community. They also pay very well, better than any other company I have seen in the same business. They company also had TUCE weeks where management would buy the employees lunch or you could wear jeans on the one Friday a month and as far as I know the health benefits were pretty good. Other than that management was awful. Unless you are high up on the pyramid they don't care about you and they make sure you know how replaceable you are. My manager accused me multiple times for coming in hungover and throwing up when in fact I was pregnant and had severe morning sickness. When I had reported this I was told that I needed to confront my manager(which I already had) and no further action was taken. The hardest part of my job was working with the managers every day. They talk down to you and make you feel like nothing you ever did was good enough. They also forced you in to product pushing and if you didn't you stood a great chance of being terminated. The most enjoyable part of my job was my customers who I grew to know and love.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Awful management
Overall a good company to work for.
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 11, 2015
The customers were nice, management could have been better. The benefits were pretty nice as well. Very sales focused.
Very nice laid back corporate culture with nice people
AI Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Chadds Ford, PAOctober 24, 2015
This is a good place to work at, very nice friendly people and very productive atmosphere.
You can learn there a lot. People are very helpful.
Pros
Free water and carbonated drinks
Cons
Bad benefits
Good company, local, cares about community
Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 9, 2016
UMB is a good company that has strong roots in the Kansas City community. They seem to care about the city and encourage their employees to be active. Their compensation seems to be competitive. Having the headquarters in KC is a plus, although some seem to have difficulties with advancement from within. UMB seems to be reactive in some ways, not always in a negative way.
Challenging work but stressful
Card Systems Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kansas City MOJuly 9, 2016
I love what I do but there are challenges with workload and constant re-organization within the company.
Must enjoyable part of my job is just doing my job. I love to work and I love a good challenge.
Pros
challenging work
Cons
constant reorganizations and new managers
Had a good technical experience.
Senior MSBI Developer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 11, 2016
I enjoy working with my co-workers, everyone is very friendly and willing to help one another out with any situation. They are flexible and go above and beyond. Benefits are pretty good with incentive if you are healthy
Act like a Community bank
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 6, 2016
I had a great amount of experience working in the bank financial management. Had some flexibility to change status quo even it was very hard to convince the management. Although received considerable amount of appreciation after all set and done.
Great Spot to get a career started
Financial Control Balancer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 29, 2015
UMB can be a great place to begin a career. Getting your foot in the door is easy and can allow you to get some relevant experience under your belt. Use what you have learned here and move up or move out.
Pros
Relaxed Dress Code, Benefits, Great Location
Cons
Too many managers, Not a lot of advancement opportunities
Medical Billing and Coding
MBAS (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 27, 2016
Calling the VA for denied claims. I learned the medical field and coding regulations. The management was positive and helpful with training. The coworkers were helpful and supportive in every way possible. The hardest part of the day was not being able to get a claim processed. The best part of the day was getting a claim that was denied processed and paid.
Pros
Learning a new trade
Cons
It was a good paying job
Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 24, 2016
work too many hours and 5 out of 6 Saturdays. The pay was good and bonus was not hard to get. They will let you go without warning and take advatage of Salaried employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
life work balance
Its an Ok place to work
Transaction Specialist (Current Employee) –  KansasJanuary 21, 2014
Don't get me wrong this job is a very good job to have however it just isn't for me. There isn't much opportunity in my current branch to move up or advance, you kinda become stuck in one place. Most everyone there gets along but when you work with all girls of course you are going to have your run ins every now and then. The manager is very understanding and flexible when it comes to personal family crisis. Its like all your co-workers and you become a close knit family.
Pros
the customers, and the enviorment
Cons
benefits, advancement
productive
Teller (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMarch 15, 2016
First time working for a bank, not only is it challenging its also rewarding dealing with customers learning the banks rules and making sure to remember all the policies. great experience !
Very fast pace environment, always on your toes, never get bored
Commercial Teller/ Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 5, 2013
My typical day at this job, is that I am verifying and processing 500 commercial accounts. Also, while doing this I am filing, book keeping, using currency counters, checking for mutilated and counterfeit monies in order to send them to the federal reserve bank. I 've learned how to be efficient, accurate, and a goal setter. My coworkers and I were very family oriented and we looked at each other as family. The hardest part of this job is that you were responsible for millions of dollars in daily work, and that when trying to balance out your at the end of the day, sometimes a simple mistake can cause you to stay past your regular schedule. That is what I experienced when I first started this job. The most enjoyable part of this job is that on holidays our department would have holiday parties, and we all celebrated each others birthdays. My management would acknowledge your work performance, and would show their appreciation by giving you the raise that you deserve and also paying for your lunch.
Pros
have a excellent benefit package, was acknowledged for performance, instead of personal likes, was in a more close knit atmosphere, because it was more family oriented.always room for career advancement.
Fun people, livable culture
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  UMB Financial, Kansas City, MOMay 2, 2012
The best part of this job is the low level workers. The execs were... execs. Don't look for too much upward mobility but the benefits are great and the work is stable. Management will probably treat you as a second class citizen but the work families are often enough to compensate for their arrogance.
Pros
corporate challenge and bank hollidays
Great Place
Personal Banker/Assist. Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 21, 2012
UMB was a great place to work, I had a wonderful Manager to work with. They offer training so that you can gain knowledge and learn more about your position. There is opportunity for advancement, great benefits. I loved interacting with customers and helping them with their financial needs.
Pros
opportunity
Cons
working weekends
Very demanding work load for small staff!
Cash Vault Teller (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 4, 2013
Start of day at 8 a.m. was checking in Security Trucks deposit deliveries over several hundred deposits, then dividing them up between 3 processers. Then would go to my station and begin processing deposits which ranged from 100 to 150 (cash value 100,000.00 -500,00.00), us girls usually ate at our desk took short lunches or we'd not go home until 7p.m. didn't have breaks just went to restroom when needed. Worked with a GREAT group of girls they are all hard workers. Hardest part of the job is being short staffed
and putting in 10 to 11 hr. days. But the best part was working
with a group of girls that to this day I consider my good friends and
I still keep in touch with them and pray that they get help to make
their jobs a little easier. I had a great supervisor she does the best that she can considering her supervisor who is horrible. Upper management doesn't care about how they're working the cash vault team and she tries real hard to help us out with processing if she can. It was real hard for her to dismiss me she cried but her hands were tied and I know it came from higher up everything there is stats and if you don't maintain 98% for 3 months straight (even if its off 1%) your dismissed. Otherwise I loved my job just didn't like how management treats their employee's.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
low pay for type of workload!
No work and family balance
Consumer Loan Collections (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 19, 2013
No work and family balance. Low moral. I should have gone to Human Resources after a Supervisor followed me to the restroom to see if I was goofing off. The whole crew would be punished if one employee was out of line.
Pros
i honestly can't say.
Cons
micro management, compensation much lower than industry standards.
Enjoyable experience overall
Transaction Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 25, 2015
Everyday of the week would vary. As a TSII, I would be rotating from the desk side where I would open accounts, close accounts, wire transfer money, make phone calls to reach my monthly sales goals and show people how to use our UMB Website for digital banking.
If I were behind the teller line, I'd handle large deposit dollars from many large corporations as drop offs or from the ATM as well as fulfill . Excelling in sales goals and cash balancing would be a monthly occurrence. I felt like an even bigger asset to my team because I was the only fluent Spanish speaker at my branch toward the end of my time working there. Limited or Spanish speaking only customers felt more of a bond with me and that lead me to another side of the market to reach my sales goals than the rest of the branch.

I learned a lot from UMB, I feel confident in knowing what sorts of bank products to offer new and current customers in order to find ways to save them money. I really loved my manager and my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was how not to sound like I was just there to sell them something because I am instantly turned off by that. The most enjoyable part was actually saving our customers money or earning them money with certain produts.

UMB Financial Corporation Reviews by Location