UMB Financial Corporation Employee Reviews

The company loves to see teamwork
Transaction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Maryville, ILJuly 27, 2017
I enjoyed the people I worked with. UMB will help you move up the ladder and help with education to get to the place you want to go. They do care about retaining their employees and customers.
Bad Management.
Core C# Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHJuly 21, 2017
Technology is antiquated and most of the software is developed over seas. Managers only care about them-self and staff comes last. All personnel is on-call 24/7
The manager is terrible at the Gladstone Branch
CLIENT RELATIONSHIP MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Gladstone, MOJuly 20, 2017
Overall UMB is a great company. Somehow the Gladstone branch is led by managers who don't share the same views as the rest of the UMB banking system. The managers are deceptive and will not provide any support to employees. The worst manager I've dealt with in my 13 year career. Beware of Gladstone!. Just wait until another branch opens up a Client Relationship position and apply for that one. The Gladstone branch is toxic.
Pros
Pto, Decent Co-Workers
Cons
Horrible Manager and no leadership.
best job
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 17, 2017
loved being a bank teller. it was the most interactive job ever. salary not so good but for a college student its very reasonable. i would go back again if they paid higher ,
A typical workday is too scattered with different responsibilities.
Transaction Specialist - Retail Banking (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 16, 2017
There is more work to do in retail branches. Associates are trained to work in the capacity of a teller/banker. They operate a teller window as well as learn to work as a personal banker such as opening/closing accounts, initiate wires, loan apps and operations
responsibilities. There is also emphasis on compliance and regulation training. You do everything!
Pros
casual dress, benefits
Cons
Outdated, inefficient technology. To much emphasis on regulations.
Personal Banker II (Current Employee) –  Salina, KSJuly 13, 2017
Management is often flighty and difficult to work with. I continuously felt micromanaged and had multiple forms of management in the same building. Made it difficult to know which person to listen to when. Corporate is very helpful and friendly so most likely a community based issue.
Typical Bank
OPERATIONS LEAD ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OHJuly 9, 2017
I have worked at 3 banks and they don't care about the lower employees. They talk a nice game but they don't follow through.
UMB talked about how employees are so important, they came in and purchased this branch of First Data and then closed us after 3 years. They gave us a nice severance but this is a depressed area and hard to find a good job. The average pay was about $10.00 to $15.00 an hour. They are moving these jobs to Kansas City and I am sure they pay them more. Worked with some of the people in KC and to be polite they are worthless. I would like to say I am not bitter but like I said it is hard to find a good paying job in my area.
Benefits
Cons
Closing this branch
Fun
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOJuly 6, 2017
Fun place to work, not a lot of advancement opportunities. Benefits are decent, management is good. If located anywhere besides KC limited time is spent engaging employees.
The associates are excellent people and the benefits are great
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 1, 2017
I enjoy working for UMB. The only reason I am on Indeed is because I don't feel the company itself is all that healthy; nor do I see any reasonable opportunity for advancement within the company as the management structure is constantly in motion-- to such a degree that I am not currently sure who my direct report is. It can be difficult to get things done in a timely or efficient manner when you don't even know who you are supposed to call....

On a day-to-day basis however, I am happy with the company and the people I have had the opportunity to work with. I just feel it is time I start taking care of myself.
Pros
Great benefits and excellent associates on staff (at branch level)
Cons
Uncertainty about future of company and revolving door management
An okay place
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 30, 2017
Nothing to special there, its hard to wake up and go to a job everyday that feels like your not appreciated. And the building has roaches, and the systems are little out dated.
Pros
PTO/decent pay
good work life balance
Branch Manager, Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  MissouriJune 8, 2017
Good management, good benefits, generous PTO. Employees and customers generally treated very well compared with competition. However, outdated computer and software systems make it very difficult to be competitive.
Pros
Work life balance, management
Cons
Over the top regulatory and operational scrutiny, terrible IT systems make ops compliance next to impossible
Workplace Culture
Fund Accountant Level 2 (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53212June 5, 2017
I have had the unique chance to know people in almost every department and every, single department from the custodians and cleaners all the way to the executive branch would hold food banquests for random events (i.e NCAA March Madness, Cinco de Mayo, Halloween, etc.). And they did so without ever leaving out any minoirty or person who may feel like their holody wasnt meant for a banquet. They would always adapt to ake sure everybdy was happy and never once did I hear anybody utter the words "this place isnt for me". Thats just how the the atmosphere was top to bottom and why they consistenly win workplace of the year in Milwaukee.
Pros
Lunch and Learning Seminars, Registered Representative Sponsorships, and team building exercises that are actually fun and very beneficial
Cons
Too much horizontal movement as far as promotions go, not enough vertical mvoment unless youve been with the company for years
great bank - family owned-culture and history
Banking Center Manager, AVP (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 5, 2017
upstanding bank with outstanding leadership within the Colorado market as well as multiple other markets. Great talent within the organization. Very Good place to work
Fine place to work
Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJune 2, 2017
If you are looking to be an mediocre accountant for a long time this is the place for you. Moderate pay, good time off, no real room for advancement. Easy job, long hours at times
Pros
20 days PTO
Cons
Poor healthcare, no advancement, bad management
Good Company
DTC Settlement Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 1, 2017
It has been awhile since I worked for this company. At the time was a good company with room to grow. Benefits were okay. Pay was subpar but its been to long to give an accurate account.
good
Teller 1 -Transaction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILMay 31, 2017
this is a good company, I like the atmosphere, it is a good place to work the co workers are great the pay is nice bas well the management is good. nice place.
Great Place to work
Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 31, 2017
Typical banking day. I manged the bank daily operations. Lead a staff of 34 full time employees and 8 part time. My job was to ensure the bank ran smoothly and safe daily. I was responsible for daily training of my staff as well growth the branch. My duties included business sales of our products to the business in our communities, as well mortgage and credit cards. I worked closely with real estate agents as well as community leaders for urban housing development. I really enjoyed my job as I was the face of the brand in an entire community. Got to help see the turn around and rebuilding of several communities throughout Kansas City.
Pros
great training and support
Cons
had to relocate with my family
Conservative company with excellent flexibility
Transaction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 29, 2017
My time at UMB will be well remembered especially by the relationships I built with the small team I worked with. This is a very conservative corporation, but the individual branches operate in a close-knit fashion. I was able to arrange a full-time student schedule with a 30-37 hour work week.
I was able to move up and advance
TRUST ADVISOR ASSISTANT/PORTFOLIO MANAGER ASSI (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSMay 26, 2017
I enjoyed my time at UMB, I was able to move up several times and be promoted. The benefits package was great. I was able to travel often with the company and I learned a lot.
I loved it for short time I was there, I was only a temp.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68112May 25, 2017
I loved the job, I loved working with people and helping people get what they need. My typical day was very relaxed with positive energy with my coworkers. We were a team . I learned to correct mistakes , cash, check ,countingand so much more.
Pros
Day hours
Cons
Non

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UMB Financial Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval