UMBC Employee Reviews

Fun and good learning experience
Reslife Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJanuary 9, 2018
It was a job that I was able to gain experience working with a diverse population and get managerial experience. You also gain a lot of experience working in a team setting.
Multitasking friendly desk environment
Desk Staff (Former Employee) –  Susquehanna HallJanuary 3, 2018
UMBC had a gentle environment that could get extremely stressful depending on your work habits and school responsibilities. It is necessary to balance schoolwork and work on the job at the desk.
201 Ta at umbc
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 31, 2017
Very good experience to grow as a programmer by reinforcing the information you already know and seeing it from a different perspective by students who need help and may not have seen this material before.
Pros
paid part time job as a student, easy going, experience
Cons
I was a student employee, it was a good experience.
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 1, 2017
Minimal work, minimal pay. Good experience. Gained customer service skills. Friendly staff and bosses. Was able to do schoolwork while working because there was plenty of downtime.
Structured and well oiled machine
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 4, 2017
Starting my day at UMBC would be coalescing the daily reports to each department. I would then check my inbox for ay data entry. Working with management was a pleasant experience, even receiving a scarf from my manager after a trip she once took.
The hardest part of the job was not having enough work to keep me occupied.
Pros
Very friendly work environment
Cons
Again needed more work to keep my fingers moving.
adjunct is the place
Part-time teaching (Current Employee) –  Catonsville, MDSeptember 25, 2017
UMBC is a dynamic public research university integrating teaching, research and service to benefit the citizens of Maryland. As an Honors University, the campus offers academically talented students a strong undergraduate liberal arts foundation that prepares them for graduate and professional study, entry into the workforce, and community service and leadership. UMBC emphasizes science, engineering, information technology, human services and public policy at the graduate level. UMBC contributes to the economic development of the State and the region through entrepreneurial initiatives, workforce training, K-16 partnerships, and technology commercialization in collaboration with public agencies and the corporate community. UMBC is dedicated to cultural and ethnic diversity, social responsibility and lifelong learning.
Pros
location
Cons
location
Not so great for people without degrees
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 12, 2017
UMBC is a great place to work. . .if you have a degree. Non-degree personnel are like second class citizens. It's extremely hard to go from a non-degree position to a degree position after you get a degree. They make the difference even more distinct by calling non-degree people "non-exempt" but degree people are not called "exempt" their called "professionals" as if people without degrees are non-professional!
Pros
State benefits, retirement
Cons
culture of "MUST HAVE DEGREE"
Workplace
Registrar Office (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 8, 2017
• Scan and send documents to appropriate offices
• Answer phone calls to cater to customer concerns and questions
• Create document forms for students to complete in the office
Great job
Babysitter (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 31, 2017
Great job, great opportunities to climb to the management, works with your school schedule, give you time off and call in when you off. Hours available.
One on One Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2017
As a research assistant, I worked closely with the Mechanical Engineering professor in Bioheat Transfer at UMBC to model the heat loss over time of a recently deceased human body for use in forensics and investigative works to accurately measure the time of death. I did most of my work alone and met with the professor only once a week to collaborate on our findings and plan our next goal. In doing so, I learned to take much more responsibility for my work and learned the importance of working independently.
a productive work day
Lead UMBC (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJune 6, 2017
greet customer most of the day its a positive atmosphere

i learned that you should finish school and you will be the person to make the money and be happy to come to work

the management is challenging at time but in a good way want to get the best out their employees

very diversity

the hardest part is dealing with the different types of personally
Pros
free meal when working 4 or more hours
Cons
to short of breaks
A very rewarding experience
Multimedia Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDMay 11, 2017
I was in charge of setting up and maintaining all events the commons from tables to decorations to Sound and Lighting. I helped facilitate events. I also wasn't charge of opening and closing the University Center/Commons. I maintain day-to-day operations and maintenance. I was the go-to person for all groups that worked in the building.
Pros
Exciting ever-changing workplace
Cons
Pay
fast pace environment
Office Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 3, 2017
It was a fast pace environment. You had to learn how to multi task. What I loved most about the job was the interaction with the clients. The hardest part of the job was not getting sick because we were a health clinic so the clients were coming in to get treated for their illnesses. Hippa laws were very important in this environment. All and All I loved the experience
Pros
was available to a physician if i became ill
Cons
parking spaces
Welcoming and great environment
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  AOK library Reference departmentMay 11, 2016
The entire interview process to working was very comfortable and easy. The librarians are great people and help yo whenever you need help.
Pros
As a student worker, you get a lot of homework done
Cons
no cons.
Great place.
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 26, 2016
Supportive staff, Learning experience. Learnt to manage everything in a short span of time. Took time to learn and it was fun. Eventually started doing orders on my own without supervision. Easy to learn at work.
Pros
Free lunch during work shifts
Cons
long lines
Great place to learn new skills
Graduate Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 26, 2016
I learned a lot of stuff about programing at Mid-South Bank
Boss was great and he taught a lot
I would love to work with someone who appreciates the hard work just the my boss at Mid-south did.

Work like balance was great.
Productive and fun place to work
General Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 8, 2016
I really enjoy working at a university setting. Interacting with graduate students has been a very rewarding experience. Management has been very supportive and has been flexible to family needs. The most enjoyable part of the job is the diversity of research I can conduct. UMBC is wonderful place to work.
Easy, enjoyable job to earn money during college years
Campus Information Center, Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 29, 2016
A typical day was answering phones regarding any information a customer may have about the school; managing the school's Main Lost and Found; selling tickets to on campus events hosted by student organizations or the Events Board; and answering any questions or giving information to anyone that has questions about the school.
Coworkers were very friendly, allowing me to make friends with a few of them during my time here.
The hardest part of the job was having to learn all of the odds and ends (such as specific office locations) about the school, but was easy to pick up.
Good Place to work
Events Coordinator, OIA (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 26, 2016
Work load varied and interesting, great people to work with
Ability to advance and grow in current position limited
benefits are good
Best part of the job was flexibility
Professional and friendly environment
Peer Academic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 3, 2016
I conversed with various different students to guide them to excel in academics. The management worked hard with me and together we held counseling sessions with the students for their awareness.