UMBC Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to learn new skills
Graduate Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 26, 2016
I learned a lot of stuff about programing at Mid-South Bank
Boss was great and he taught a lot
I would love to work with someone who appreciates the hard work just the my boss at Mid-south did.

Work like balance was great.
Productive and fun place to work
General Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 8, 2016
I really enjoy working at a university setting. Interacting with graduate students has been a very rewarding experience. Management has been very supportive and has been flexible to family needs. The most enjoyable part of the job is the diversity of research I can conduct. UMBC is wonderful place to work.
Easy, enjoyable job to earn money during college years
Campus Information Center, Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 29, 2016
A typical day was answering phones regarding any information a customer may have about the school; managing the school's Main Lost and Found; selling tickets to on campus events hosted by student organizations or the Events Board; and answering any questions or giving information to anyone that has questions about the school.
Coworkers were very friendly, allowing me to make friends with a few of them during my time here.
The hardest part of the job was having to learn all of the odds and ends (such as specific office locations) about the school, but was easy to pick up.
Good Place to work
Events Coordinator, OIA (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 26, 2016
Work load varied and interesting, great people to work with
Ability to advance and grow in current position limited
benefits are good
Best part of the job was flexibility
Professional and friendly environment
Peer Academic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 3, 2016
I conversed with various different students to guide them to excel in academics. The management worked hard with me and together we held counseling sessions with the students for their awareness.
Getting Paid to do what I love
Professor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 7, 2015
Developed and taught courses at the graduate level in a supportive environment; was able to put a strong focus on student success as this was the culture of the organization; encouraged to advance knowledge in the field of information policy and use; I enjoyed tremendously my interactions both classroom and advisory with the students. I am an excellent teacher, motivator, communicator and advocate for learning. Being in the classroom was stimulating and satisfying. The hardest part of the job was staying neutral in university politics, a ripe source of entertainment for academics. I found it to be detrimental to teaching and research. I have excellent management skills as I ran a program in my department as well as directly managed numerous research projects which were national in scope.
Pros
cooperative work environment, stimulating & creative work environment, excellent benefits, adaptable work agenda, adaptable work schedule, minimal oversight
Cons
Campus politics
Excellent environment to work in
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 2, 2015
As I was not at UMBC long all I can say is that I enjoyed the people that worked with. They were all friendly and approachable. The most difficult part of this job was learning how they did their annual budgets.
Pros
Management was very supportive
Cons
None that I can think of
Very Productive
Biochemical Trainee Internship (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 6, 2015
I was a wonderful experience to work side-by-side with such amazing people. A typical day of work would be to come in to a very informational meeting and then go off to work with my group. For me, it was more of an assisting job which was okay because it gave me the opportunity to sit back and learn how things go. I leaned how to handle DNA as well as how to use the different types of equipment. The most difficult part of the job was filling gels, however, I did enjoy mega preps.
Fun Place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreApril 16, 2015
Fun and a very challenging place to be at. Learnt a lot of things from scratch as I had my first research assistant-ship here.
UMBC Work Systems
Worker in Financial Services and Accounting (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 20, 2014
The University of Maryland Baltimore County work system was an excellent means of gaining experience in the labor force. At my current department (Financial Services and Accounting) typical day at work would consist of me running through various sources of income within the UMBC accounts payable people soft system. I would either: track a financial inquiry, dispose of inactive financial equipment, or update the log in information such as, location, acquisition detail, and pricing of UMBC inventory on a campus wide scale. The skilled team of co-workers around me worked very close with one another to assess any issues within the system pertaining to financial capital.
The hardest part of the job was rechecking previously done system corrections. Individuals who held my position at a prior time may have not updated the system correctly and this caused error within the final fiscal year reports. Going back and correcting these errors was often tedious and required tracking down out of date location documentation. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new technical terminology and new skills pertaining to the field of accounting.
Helping staff and facility with work order issues
Work Controller (Former Employee) –  Catonsville, MDNovember 6, 2014
A busy workplace for the campus
Call center for the entire campus
Pros
time passed fast
Cons
not enough time to get all done-creating backlog.
UMBC was a great place to work
Asst. Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 21, 2014
There is a lot to learn and many interesting people to work with.
Pros
great vacation plan.
Cons
programs have grown but staffing hasn't kept pace.
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 10, 2014
• Installed maintained, repaired and supported, company and multi-vendor systems which include hardware, software and networking products as well as operating systems.
• Supported laptops, printers, communication devices and other equipment installed in the organization for staff members.
Productive and flexible workplace
Desk Staff (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 4, 2014
Fun workplace where you are able to interact with RAC guests daily and very flexible schedule.
Great palce to work
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Catonsville, MDJanuary 6, 2014
Great place to work. Staff and physicians are very nice. I have learned that if you want something you have to go get it. No will hold your hand.
Pros
great enviorment
Very Supportive
Associate Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  NASA Goddard Space Flight CenterMarch 3, 2013
The UMBC/JCET business staff are very supportive and patient with their research staff. The benefits are very good, especially the leave and health insurance.
Pros
flexible environment for research.
Cons
minor: vacation does not roll-over; life insurance is limited.
Umbc
Administration Support (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 27, 2013
Worked as administrative staff. Great school. Learned a lot about communicating a message to prospective students and parents.
Pros
scholarship
Cons
flexible times
UMBC is an campus withthin a community with cultural and ethnic diversity.
Accounting Associate (Current Employee) –  MDDecember 20, 2012
A typical day at UMBC is checking e-mail and calendar for the current day on how to manage my work load. Managing daily payroll, timekeeping and accounting tasks independently timely and effectively while maintain accuracy and detail. Provide customer service to student and staff especially understanding their needs and making special efforts to be responsive to their payroll needs.
I have learn PeopleSoft Financials , Managing Multiple Projects Objectives and Deadline training.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working and supporting the students on campus.
Pros
holiday breaks during winter, health benfits, diversity
Cons
non-exempt employee have not recieve a pay increase in 4 year
helping hand
STUDENT/OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 5, 2012
Data entry job. Assisting professor with clerical duties. Wonderful supervisor.
All about sucess and excellence
Baltimore County (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 13, 2012
I though my role her at UMBC was through the Upward Bound Program. I was able to send 4 high school graduates to division 1 school on full schlarship. I thank UMBC for always me to change lives forever.

4.6