UMFS Employee Reviews

Students are wonderful....
Exceptional Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 13, 2017
Children will be children. However this company play's off of the individuals students disabilities and enables the students rather then helping them. The motto in which they stand for is an wonderful concept however the faculty/staff that they currently have in place factious in following that motto that they have set for the school.
Pros
Students are great to work with
Cons
Staff and Admin
Vacation hours make up for the bad schedule and poor compensation. No advancement.
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 12, 2016
If you're looking to get into mental health for your 1 year of experience b/f doing case management, etc. it's a good place to start. Staying here longer than a year will kill your joy if you plan on being a youth counselor. The pay is was lower than when I started as they were offering $13.30. I left making $15. It's not worth it. If you have your degree they won't extend the offer of moving you further in the company and show a tremendous amount of favoritism. Meetings are long and dumb and never seem to get anything accomplished. The kids--- which is the reason why you want to work there are pretty decent if you have common sense and aren't timid. being firm and Boundaries get you a long way. It's not for play or the people that take insults personal. If you're a person of color like myself don't expect to see anyone in a higher position other than a youth counselor II or cottage manager. All of the therapists are young, white girls and that's the way it's always been. Working overnight allows you to have two jobs and get other things done on your shift especially if you're a student. You have the whole night to do your work and complete job tasks. It weighs on you after about a year of missing events, your family, and just being exhausted. The schedule is the worse. UMFS is the champion of working harder and not smarter. The environment can get a little petty at times and you have to figure out whether the kids run the show or the adults. Taking time off was never an issue and the vacation time makes up for the poor schedule
Pros
Vacation hours
Cons
Work culture no advancement no diversity
Helping couples with adoptions
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA 22312May 4, 2016
National and International adoptions require a great deal of background checking; classes for prospective parents, home reviews and all of the financial burdens. Everything has to be check and double-checked and lots and lots of forms.
Pros
Once the adoption is processed, the union of the family is over the mountain joy
Cons
Sometimes it can take 2 years and there are many sad things occur
Poor and stressful work environment/ higher ups
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 4, 2015
Cottage managers ruin employee morale and relationships by discussing personal matters. They're very inconsiderate to employees and do not render consequences to youth in placement.
Pros
Client relationships
Cons
Poor work environment, low pay
Terrible work environment
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VASeptember 7, 2015
Very poor work environment. Youth counselors work 65 hours one week and 15 the next. By the time you get done with your busy week you're toast! The same complaints come up over and over again but nothing seems to change (program managers and directors lack of management skills, schedule, unstructured schedule for youth and floor staff). I would not recommend this place to work for my worst enemy! Worked there for over a year and the turnover rate was insane. I'm pretty sure about 15 people quit while I was there and we only have about 25 all together. This place is disorganized and I would not be surprised if the place shuts down in the next couple years- especially if they don't get new people in management roles!
Pros
Great program and therapeutic model
Cons
No breaks, schedule exhausting, wrong people in management, lack of program structure
Unorganized Company
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 23, 2015
I did not like working for this company. The people was nasty and did not care about the kids. They wasn't really trying to help the clients.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
co workers are nsty
very fast paced
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 4, 2015
placing children in the right foster home. Challenging when placements didn't work. Very rewarding when children were placed in the right home.
Pros
children finding a home
Cons
children going from home to home
Childish Culture
Day Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond CityApril 10, 2015
I used to worked as a Youth Counselor for UMFS Richmond City. The program is great! There are big holes with youth counselors job descriptions which basically seem to be made for babysitters. Counselors are not given the time and opportunity to use their therapeutic skills, and knowledge to help the residents. The youth counselor staff range in ages and the atmosphere while assumed to be "happy and friendly" adults indulge in vile gossips, backstabbing, and most times hurtful behaviors. These negative behaviors occur in the presence of the residents. The kids are allowed to do whatever they want without the implementation of consequences. I got out of UMFS before it was too late.
Benefits
Cons
Workers
Very devoted staff and was obvious they all loved their work. The company is growing.
Resource Parent Recruiter (Former Employee) –  South Hill, VAMarch 28, 2015
My job was to recruit and train foster parents for treatment foster care. I loved interacting with the parents and the community. Management was awesome at this company. My supervisor met with me on a weekly basis to ensure I was on task and that goals were met. My opinions mattered.
Supportive and helpful community feel among workers
Intern Student (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 4, 2015
The workers at UMFS were always very helpful when I had questions and always jumped at the chance to help someone else out; whether that be a fellow co-worker, a family, a child, or anyone else. The Harmony system that is used is very specific to UMFS and learning how to use it was no easy task. However, the staff is always willing to answer questions. Working with the biological families and the foster care families was the hardest part of the job because it is important to include both parties for the child's sake. I worked in Treatment Foster Care and collaboration with other professionals and with families was not always easy and made some of the paperwork quite difficult. I enjoy coming to UMFS as an unpaid intern because I love the people and the environment, and, most especially, the children and families I work with.
Sometimes you get to eat food there
Food Service Member (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 5, 2014
I have learned to work fast but efficiently, even though we don't get organization right when it comes to delivering the food bins. A typical day at work would be walking in and writing your name and the time you arrived on a piece of paper then you follow directions on what the manager has to say (such as breaking down the boxes that were left over from unpacking food and bringing food out of the refrigerator to pack them into the bins, sweep and mop the floors, etc) I don't recall doing a really hard task, everything there was easy to do. Overall the job was enjoyable.
Pros
Free Food (every once in a while)
Cons
No Cons
Great Agency
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  South Hill, VAOctober 27, 2014
This agency works with foster children which means you will be working mostly after school hours. Not bad if you like those hours. The management is somewhat disorganized but tolerable. You are given a great deal of freedom (i.e. the ability to work from home if you need to).
Great opportunity to raise funds
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 15, 2014
Great work atmosphere. Added to the Planned Giving Program with annuities, wills and trusts.
Great place is work
Cottage manager (Current Employee) –  3900 West Broad St Richmond Va 23230October 6, 2014
Typical day at work for me is seeing the clients and engaging in fun activities like painting. I can only spend a limited amount of time with the clients because I have meetings and supervisions to complete. I have learned how to process with clients and collaborate with our youth when problem-solving. The hardest part of the job is when you have a staff who doesn't have the similar beliefs and values as the company. Overall the most enjoyable part of the job is watching the client grow into their own and leaving the program.
What I learned from this job.
Youth Crisis Counselor UMFS Leland House (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VAMarch 14, 2014
I learned that I have an amazing talent to connect with those in need and make a difference in their life. I learned how to be a team player as well as how to supervise and lead others. I have learned that I love helping others and that I love challenging myself. I have learned how to apply therapeutic interventions in any conversation to ensure I reach my potential with the people I work with.
Productive and great environment
MSW Clinical Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 9, 2014
Comprehensive clinical internship where I gained experience with individual and group therapy, working on an interdisciplinary team, and in an agency that provides an array of various services.
The Very Best of the Best
**confidential** (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 22, 2014
This organization is the very definition of "top notch". All of the staff are generally nice and willing to help you if you have a question or problem. Communication is a huge essential with this organization, it is always evolving with the communities it serves in order to provide the very best quality in services. Whether you're part time, full time, temporary, or even an intern, this organization treats you like a valued employee.
An enjoyable place to work at.
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 22, 2013
As a single person with no children, I look forward to going to work in the evening asking the youth how was there school day and listening to each of them tell me what happen throughout the day. I have learned how to appropriately work with at-risk with disabilities. The hardest part of my job is seeing the youth avoid dealing with there trauma. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the youth has successfully completed the program and has a home to return to or a foster family.
Pros
When the youth trust you.
Cons
Shifts for the full-time staff
Family Service Agency
Behavior Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 13, 2013
Providing support for youth with behavior and emotional needs within the classroom.
One of the most ethical workplaces I've experienced
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 15, 2013
While the workers are ethical, the jobs aren't great. The pay is on the lower end and the management level is horrible- they act as if work is the only thing you have going on in your life. And getting time off is next to impossible.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Hard to get time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UMFS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8