UMFS

UMFS Employee Reviews

Childish Culture
Day Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Richmond CityApril 10, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Workers
I used to worked as a Youth Counselor for UMFS Richmond City. The program is great! There are big holes with youth counselors job descriptions which basically seem to be made for babysitters. Counselors are not given the time and opportunity to use their therapeutic skills, and knowledge to help the residents. The youth counselor staff range in ages and the atmosphere while assumed to be "happy and friendly" adults indulge in vile gossips, backstabbing, and most times hurtful behaviors. These negative behaviors occur in the presence of the residents. The kids are allowed to do whatever they want without the implementation of consequences. I got out of UMFS before it was too late.
Very devoted staff and was obvious they all loved their work. The company is growing.
Resource Parent Recruiter (Former Employee), South Hill, VAMarch 28, 2015
My job was to recruit and train foster parents for treatment foster care. I loved interacting with the parents and the community. Management was awesome at this company. My supervisor met with me on a weekly basis to ensure I was on task and that goals were met. My opinions mattered.
Supportive and helpful community feel among workers
Intern Student (Current Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 4, 2015
The workers at UMFS were always very helpful when I had questions and always jumped at the chance to help someone else out; whether that be a fellow co-worker, a family, a child, or anyone else. The Harmony system that is used is very specific to UMFS and learning how to use it was no easy task. However, the staff is always willing to answer questions. Working with the biological families and the foster care families was the hardest part of the job because it is important to include both parties for the child's sake. I worked in Treatment Foster Care and collaboration with other professionals and with families was not always easy and made some of the paperwork quite difficult. I enjoy coming to UMFS as an unpaid intern because I love the people and the environment, and, most especially, the children and families I work with.
Sometimes you get to eat food there
Food Service Member (Former Employee), Richmond, VANovember 5, 2014
Pros: free food (every once in a while)
Cons: no cons
I have learned to work fast but efficiently, even though we don't get organization right when it comes to delivering the food bins. A typical day at work would be walking in and writing your name and the time you arrived on a piece of paper then you follow directions on what the manager has to say (such as breaking down the boxes that were left over from unpacking food and bringing food out of the refrigerator to pack them into the bins, sweep and mop the floors, etc) I don't recall doing a really hard task, everything there was easy to do. Overall the job was enjoyable.
Great Agency
Social Work Intern (Former Employee), South Hill, VAOctober 27, 2014
This agency works with foster children which means you will be working mostly after school hours. Not bad if you like those hours. The management is somewhat disorganized but tolerable. You are given a great deal of freedom (i.e. the ability to work from home if you need to).
Great opportunity to raise funds
Consultant (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 15, 2014
Great work atmosphere. Added to the Planned Giving Program with annuities, wills and trusts.
Great place is work
Cottage manager (Current Employee), 3900 West Broad St Richmond Va 23230October 6, 2014
Typical day at work for me is seeing the clients and engaging in fun activities like painting. I can only spend a limited amount of time with the clients because I have meetings and supervisions to complete. I have learned how to process with clients and collaborate with our youth when problem-solving. The hardest part of the job is when you have a staff who doesn't have the similar beliefs and values as the company. Overall the most enjoyable part of the job is watching the client grow into their own and leaving the program.
Productive and great environment
MSW Clinical Intern (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 9, 2014
Comprehensive clinical internship where I gained experience with individual and group therapy, working on an interdisciplinary team, and in an agency that provides an array of various services.
The Very Best of the Best
**confidential** (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 22, 2014
This organization is the very definition of "top notch". All of the staff are generally nice and willing to help you if you have a question or problem. Communication is a huge essential with this organization, it is always evolving with the communities it serves in order to provide the very best quality in services. Whether you're part time, full time, temporary, or even an intern, this organization treats you like a valued employee.
An enjoyable place to work at.
Youth Counselor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 22, 2013
Pros: when the youth trust you.
Cons: shifts for the full-time staff
As a single person with no children, I look forward to going to work in the evening asking the youth how was there school day and listening to each of them tell me what happen throughout the day. I have learned how to appropriately work with at-risk with disabilities. The hardest part of my job is seeing the youth avoid dealing with there trauma. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the youth has successfully completed the program and has a home to return to or a foster family.
Family Service Agency
Behavior Support Counselor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 13, 2013
Providing support for youth with behavior and emotional needs within the classroom.
One of the most ethical workplaces I've experienced
Counselor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 15, 2013
Pros: great colleagues
Cons: hard to get time off
While the workers are ethical, the jobs aren't great. The pay is on the lower end and the management level is horrible- they act as if work is the only thing you have going on in your life. And getting time off is next to impossible.
Exciting Agency to work for.
Therapeutic Foster Parent (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMay 5, 2013
Pros: very thorough training
Cons: more support is needed for parent to transition when child is adopted.
As a foster parent with UMFS is was a wonderful experience. I have experienced other foster care agencies and none have been as exceptional as UMFS.
Wonderful Organization
Treatment Foster Care Mentor (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 28, 2012
Wonderful Organization. Dedicated to helping youth and families. Wonderful mission and values that guide their practice.
productive workplace excepting of growth and change when appropriate
Family Systems Coordinator (Program Manager) (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 15, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: no job security
Looking for an environment that recognizes talents in their staff, motivated grow and expand, accepting of change, and willing take appropriate risks.

About UMFS

UMFS is an unwavering champion for high-risk children and families, collaborating with communities to help them reach their full – Read more