Umicore Employee Reviews in United States

Not a very fun place to work.
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Catoosa, OKApril 10, 2016
I had been a long time employee there when we were purchased by Umicore. In three years it was a very unpleasant and stressful place to work. Mainly do to them downsizing the employees, which was done a number of times over that time span. You just never new when you would be next, which created a very stressful environment for everyone there. In essence, they did not practice Corporate Social Responsibility.
Pros
compensation was not reduced
Cons
extremely stressful place to work
Great people and culture
Ge Recycling / Shipping Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Quapaw, OKDecember 8, 2015
I met a lot of diverse personalities at Umicore in the past eleven years. A very interesting learning path that helped me develop myself into what I am today. I can handle nearly any type of situation with any stress factor. I've been thru start ups and lay offs. I do not regret any second of my dedication to Umicore and wish them the very best in their adventures.
Pros
Benefits, open door atmosphere
Cons
Management too secretive at times
An excellent company with supportive management
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYOctober 21, 2015
Supportive management in a challenging market place. Company was committed to the personal development of its employees with extensive training in best business practices.
Enjoyed working with employees from all departments
Logistics Operator (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYJuly 29, 2015
Management was supportive. Workers were competent and friendly. Unfortunately, the company recently downsized approximately 25% of the workforce. I enhanced my organizational skills via the 5S program.
Temp (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYFebruary 25, 2015
Umicore was a good place to learn how to operate many kinds of machines. I enjoyed the daily tasks of getting products out on time.
you cant get in there as for long term,or an actual employee with benefits
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Attleboro, MAOctober 31, 2014
laid back work environment,learned some new skills with micrometers,calipers,co workers were ok,but wasnt told the truth about eventually being hired from temp to real employee,and finally layed off from them,so not much else to say...
Cons
too many to list
Umicore Responsibilities
Consultant/Support (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 17, 2014
• On-site planning and implementation support of the Windows 7/Office 2013 migration for the North American Region of Umicore, Inc.
• Provide technical solutions and troubleshooting for hardware and software support for North and South Eastern U.S. Umicore sites
• Active Directory Administration, including user account creation/ changes, troubleshooting basic server performance and network connectivity issues
• Asset management, from purchase through decommission of hardware
• Lead migration project for Microsoft and Apple Operating systems, and MS Office products
• Author documentation, as well as provide training for new hardware and software products across the Enterprise
Pros
great work culture
Cons
distance
Okay company to work for
Finance (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 20, 2013
Umicore is a great company to work for with great benefits. Co-workers and management are okay. Very high turnover in finance department.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
advancement
Employee's are very professional
Business Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  raleigh, ncMay 25, 2013
I worked on the help desk as a contractor and was responsible for maintaining tickets in the Remedy system. Also, responsible for Active Directory, Back Up Exec, sharepoint, and troubleshooting of hardware and software.
Pros
my manager and team, customers
Cons
poor communication, lack of advancement, and personal decision making over professional
Belgium Owned Company
General Manager of Umicore Bowden (Former Employee) –  Covington, tNApril 2, 2013
Precious Metals Industry. Reclaiming of Platinum, Palladium, and Rhodium from Catalytic Converters.
Ethical company. Good company to work with.
QC Tech (Former Employee) –  Quapaw, OKFebruary 7, 2013
Overall, Umicore is a good company to work with. I was downsized due to a market down turn. I worked in the Ge substrates area, Quapaw, OK. There was a loss of market share due to a flood of inexpensive, cheap Chinese made semiconductors. The company did not easliy make the choice to lay off as many of us as they did, and held us on as long as possible in hopes the trend would reverse.

Pay was okay for the area but the benefits provided were above the norm for most companies. An ethical company.
Pros
medical insurance is above par.
Cons
located in quapaw, ok.
Overall a good place to work
Third Shift Plant / Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 7, 2013
Very busy atmosphere. Learned more about 5 s and Lean manufacturing, Leadership skills. The Co- workers are all team oriented and work well together. The hardest part of my job was getting proper answers to questions in a timely manner to do my job more efficiently. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of my job was the Amount of quality work my shift produced by inexperienced operators. I had trained all the guys and made them all team players that would do anything within reason and safety to acomplish our nightly goals and assignments. That to me was the most enjoyable and rewarding experience I could have. That was what drove me harder and made me work harder for Umicore. Satisfying Umicores needs and customers needs made me feel inspired and was a very enjoyable experience to see everything that was acomplished by the guys.
Pros
treated us well during holiday season/ parties, etc. individual recognition program
Cons
umicore does not follow their company values, they play favorites with certain employees.
Great paying job but the management is horrible
Bond Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 5, 2012
The job paid very well and you could make alot of money as long as your willing to suck up to the boss and be one of their little gophers. The work itself is fine especially if you get a job that your working alone. The teamwork aspect of that place was horrible. If they dont like you they'll find a way to can you but if someone has the opportunity to work there then they should take it. Just be careful cuz they just had 15 lay offs.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
Pay is good Culture and Values questionable
Office Administration (Former Employee) –  Quapaw OklahomaFebruary 29, 2012
Pay scale is competitive. European management where advancement from production to management does not occur. No future for 50+, and female managers are uncommon. Great opportunity for degreed technical individuals 20 - 30 years old.
Pros
pay and insurance
Cons
european management