UMMC Employee Reviews

Collaborative atmosphere
RESEARCHER IV (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 11, 2017
Opportunities to work with top-tier researchers in multiple disciplines. Great benefits/ State employee perks. Endless opportunities to advance. Brand new research facilities.
Loved the Job/ Horrible doctors with no concern for patients
Supervisor Clinic Operations (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 30, 2017
Loved the patients that we saw each day, but but the doctors were horrible to staff and patients unknowingly. Very stressful, and long hours, not family friendly at all.
Pros
Loved patients and their families
Cons
doctors
Great Place Great People
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 21, 2017
When I first arrived at UMMC (West Bank) I did not want to like it but I fell in love with the job & the people. My managers and the doctors are amazing people with great sense of humors. After just a short few months, life had another geographic calling for me but UMMC West Bank's Behavioral Dept. became "The Place" I wanted to be but had to leave. I'll never forget the job & people.
Cons
Had to pay for parking
Treats nurses well
Clinical Nurse II Pediatric Progressive Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 1, 2017
Great company with excellent benefits. Nurses have a shared governance and ability to climb the ladder with excellent salary increases. Parking is a downside.
Cons
parking
a hard place to work
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 20, 2017
everyday presents its own challenges, it seems nobody really looks out for you. It has taught me patience but the process has been a struggle. For what i do each day at work i am not compensated or paid enough, that is why I am on the search for a new job that can takecare of my bills and help me continue school.
Pros
teaching hospital
Cons
short breaks, low pay
Fast paced, and productive.
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39205July 17, 2017
Typical day at UMMC on second shift most times start off busy. Mostly 80+ cases in the main OR plus Day Surgery OR which added an additional 20+, and sometimes included the Women's Hospital which added 5-10 cases. So most times we where busy and short of staff. I learned all of my skills in sterile processing there everything from general, ortho, neuro, cardiovascular, ent sets, eye sets, laparoscopic, transplant sets, processing some scopes, and synthesis/implants (which is kind of my weakness because we only had certain people working in that area, but I do have experience with them. Just not my strongest points). Management was ok sometimes but most times was unorganized. Workplace culture was ok for the most part. The hardest part of the job the many cases we had with short of staff but most times we got the job done. The enjoyable part was learning new things and working as a team to get the job done.
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Batavia, NYJune 14, 2017
I have only worked here a short time but I love the people I love the job.

Love the office setting

work hours are great

not stressful great atmosphere
Great opportunity for advancement. Wonderful enviornment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 23, 2017
UMMC is a great place to work. Employees have many opportunities to advance. Great benefits. The work environment is diverse. Overall the work experience was great I definitely recommend.
fun place to work smoothe enviornment
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 4, 2017
Fun place to work with relaxed environment , friendly staff , perks for food discounts and badge access for convenience of purchases in advancement. Ummc takes great care of their employees and you have the advantage to further career opportunities within 90 day probation period
Pros
discounted luches and advance purchases of badge options
Cons
short breaks, immuned to infectious diseases
unending chances to learn, supportive staff and management
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 29, 2017
I learned more at the UMMC then any other pace I've worked. Great advancement culture for women. Clean and safe environment. Constant assistance from doctors and staff. Unbelieveable inservices . Staff support was highly evident. Many cultural activities in area.Much encouragement to learn. If mistakes were made they were analyzed and corrected. Plenty of learning opportunities. Awesome cafeteria with varied healthy food choices. Michigan Athletucs and Football,Hockey. I learned many new techniques and procedures. I assisted in running codes. I admitted,discharged many patients. Some days I admitted patients,discharged patents,passed meds,changed I.V. Tubing and subclavian sites. Management was top shelf-very supportive. Scheduling was flexible.Outstanding benefits and compensation. Lateral advancement. Great gift shops.Hardest part of my job was leaving everyday.I loved working there because I learned daily. I learned how to supervise aides with kindness and caring. Highly trained security staff. Counseling services.
Pros
Lots of inservices, opportunity to learn, improved parking
Cons
to busy at times, not enough help
not a fun place to work
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSApril 7, 2017
whole system works on "chain of command" with lots of weak links.
feel people are there to make a paycheck and not have a career. Patients become numbers not humans.
Answering phone, scheduling, waiting on patients.
Radiology Clerk/Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Grenada, MSMarch 30, 2017
I love transcription. This is the way of me helping the patients. I enjoy what I do. I love working on a computer. I love medical terminology. I love checking to see how many reports I can type in a day.
Front desk check in was very exciting
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 20, 2017
UMMC is a great place to work. I believe the reviews are done farily and there is plenty of room for growth, There are always ways to volunteer and the employees can participate in various job events i.e . Christmas decorating.
Pros
Reduce cost at fitness clubs and new car perks with Wilson Auto Group
Cons
No union
review
Assist visitors and patients (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 15, 2017
staff meeting, retrieve cleaning products for my cart go to the floor I'm a assigned to work on that day. work on two different floors discharge rooms meaning clean the room and get it prepared for the next guest, lunch break
Pros
meeting new paitens on each floor and the pleasant staff
Cons
going to different parts of the hospital and not knowing what to expect
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 3, 2017
Working with the patients was interesting and talking with the families was fun. Being able to help the elders who couldn't help themselves. Even though the pay was not excellent it was about helping the someone who couldn't themselves
Pros
food, patients
Cons
pay
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 23, 2016
The only downside is parking at the stadium. This is a deal breaker for me and the reason that I am looking for another job.
Work place had unprofessional people and limited supplies.
Discharge Attendant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 11, 2016
Was not able to do my Job efficiently because of lack of supplies. I loved my job but the management and my co workers were unprofessional. Wen never had the supplies needed to do the job properly and I like to do my job to it's fullest.
Pros
I could pickup overtime when I wanted.
Cons
Staff and supplies. Also people that didnt care about doing the job assigned.
Stable Employment
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 25, 2016
UMMC has given me the opportunity to show my skills and knowledge. I would like to continue employment with UMMC if a social work position becomes available. But, because I have changed profession, I am seeking employment to begin my new journey and fulfill my goals in life.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Physician Scheduler II (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 18, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is to make sure patient are happy when making there appointment. I have learned a lot while working for this company.
This was a fun place to work but was a very unsafe place as well
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York StateJuly 14, 2016
to preform all temps,bp,pulse;to help with all request form nurses,change dresseing,bathroom,showers,pt,.To record all results in computer