UMMC

UMMC Employer Reviews

productive
Clinical engineer technician (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 11, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short break
nice play to advance my career, very nice person. i learned so many things very important for my career. the manager was very important. the hardest part was to learn but when you have it, everything become easy
productive
Clinical engineer technician (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 10, 2013
Pros: free lunchs
Cons: short breaks
I learned so many things very important to follow my career. for example how to use variety of medical equipment; also learn how to interact with co-workers in good harmony.

sincerely
place of opportunity for learning, and nice coworkers
Inpatient Psychotherapist (Current Employee), Riverside/Minneapolis MNJuly 3, 2013
Pros: nice professional colleagues
Cons: work load
busy, challenging, opportunity for growth personally and professionally.
Very Busy Place with a lot going on
Patient Transport Aide (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 21, 2013
Pros: good benefit package, inside restarant, plenty of learning opportunities its wonderful for that
Cons: compensation isn't good even with experience, high risk for injury on the job, and transporting the deceased (that is a part of the job description period)
I worked as a Transport Aide which in itself is a fine entry level job and is even better if you enjoy moving around and have a genuine compassionate nature for helping those sick people who need you to get them where they are going in a timely manner. However, I will be very honest and blunt in saying that it is an extremely physical position and you – more... are expected to get these people by bed (which are heavy), stretcher and wheelchair and back to back according to the tracking system. Its extremely busy and there will be many times where nursing or other technicians in charge of where you have to pick up or drop off a patient will be upset with you but they don't really understand how busy it is on your part having to get patients back to back with no resting period (especially if you on the day shift). Try your best no one in other departments can truly understand the life of a transporter unless their in it. Oh, and be warned that there will be times that occur where its so busy you'll be pushing a patient by yourself in a heavy bed because a tea member may be caught up in their own transport or whatever (and if u get injured their will be no mercy for you). You will get rushed & u will get reprimanded for being slow. Oh, and Stretchers & Wheelchairs are nothing to push especially when you use proper body mechanics (those mechanics are not taught to you but you had better learn them) And dont be afraid to tell a Nurse, Tech or Supervisor that you need assistance with your patient when things are taking too long and you don't feel safe pushing by yourself because technically your not. But I had been given the crazy look plenty of times because others will feel like its not their job. The Hospital is huge and the hallways your pushing down are basically city blocks. You have been warned. But I did Love it there and still believe it to be a wonderful learning place where you can grow if your are on the path to do so. – less
Ok job
Health Information Technician I (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 18, 2013
Cons: not enough money for all the work you are required to do.
Learning a lot on computer. Coworkers are nice. Learning Epic but its not being taught well.
Review of SICU
CNII (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 7, 2013
This unit is really ramping up their hiring. This is due to the very high turnover lately. This is due to many reasons.

One of the big reasons is definitely d/t people going back to school. Make no mistake, many of the nurses are coming to the floor to get experience for CRNA school.

Second reasons for attrition is due to the poor compensation. After – more... a year or two you will be making a base pay of roughly $25-26/hr. This is to take care of the sickest of the sick in the region. It is easy to see how many of the more experienced nurses are getting poached by other hospitals/units.

This in turn leads to what I see as a third reason - safety. On a unit with more than 60 nurses, I can count on my hands those that have more than 5 years experience. Many of the nurses are fearing that they cannot work on the unit and provide a safe level of care. The unit is expanding to a new part of the hospital with even more beds soon so this is also adding to the need for new nurses.

However instead of trying to keep experienced nurses, management seems more interested in hiring new (cheaper) nurses. Management seems either indifferent or unable to make changes. – less
Fast pace, and Productive
HIM Regulatory Compliance Coordinator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 28, 2013
I learned managing processes and workflow, understanding and ensuring compliance with regulatory compliance agencys, performed IT techical support in the EMR.
Great Job
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), Jackson, MSFebruary 23, 2013
This is a Very good Job, I've learned alot here great experience, Co-worker are fantastic and I really enjoy this job
Exciting position. Assisted in creation of position of Medication Security Officer. Position to monitor
Medication Security Officer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 23, 2012
Pros: exciting with much learning, creating and implementing of a new position.
Cons: very busy each day . . .and being laid off was a big con!
Was responsible for inventory of controlled substances and other high ticket medications at UMMC. Managed inventory of pharmacy units - both inpatient and outpatient. Using an outside vendor's product, was able to review individual use of controlled substances (narcotics) and look for potential abuse/misuse practices. Needed to create spread sheets – more... and data collection to present to hospital based committee monthly.
Learned more of the drugs under surveillance as well as the state and federal laws controlling these medications. Had more expertise in using the computer as a work tool.
Worked at many levels . . . as a manager of others in assisting inventory and giving direction. Worked on a colloquial level with other managers in the hospital/health center. Also interacted with Directors of different disciplines , , ,nursing, pharmacy, security, etc.
Was key contact with the DEA for any infractions requiring contact.

The hardest part is when you identify someone who is abusing a drug, but think I had the research and communication when presenting the information to committee for follow through. I was at peace that the data collected was correct.

This was a unique position and probably the first in practice. Unfortunately with the financial situation in 2008, this was one position that was eliminated within the Department of Pharmacy. – less