Umpqua Bank Employee Reviews

Fast paced environment, Many responsibilities
Drive up Teller (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORFebruary 16, 2018
It was a very fast paced environment with many responsibilities. I learned that not every customer was happy to be at the bank. I also learned how to read customer's body language and not try to push product on them if they acted uninterested. The culture was great, I knew many customers on a first name basis and always went above and beyond for every customer. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer system and all of the product we had to offer. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting more responsibilities once my manager saw I could handle them. Also, building professional relationships with customers was pretty rewarding.
Pros
Free designer checks, hour lunch breaks, good health benefits
Cons
Untrusting customers
Great
Eureka, Ca. Bank Associate (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAFebruary 13, 2018
Loved working at Umpqua. I was a floater that worked 40 hours a week. I worked at several locations and met several people. The hardest part of the job was dealing with irate customers. The best part was my co-workers!
Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORFebruary 11, 2018
I worked an 8 hour banking day. It was not a high stressed job. I would have stayed had I not chosen to go into foster care. I would highly recommend Umpqua Bank.
Great team building opportunity
Universal Associate II (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 10, 2018
Multi tasking a must. Umpqua was great about training and educating their employees. Management was great, but absent a lot. Loved the culture Umpqua made it a must, in their words walk the walk, and talk the talk. The hardest part for me, was telling customers bad news. Example, Loan was denied, can't open your account do to account abuse. Every morning, we started the day with a, Motivational Moment. Group activities, made up by the team.
Pros
Loved working with the public, great customers.
Cons
No breaks! Lack of Manager on site.
Good temporary position
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORJanuary 29, 2018
Clear defined instructions. Not a bad contract position. Was a lower position than my experience, but I appreciated the chance at the job. Everyone I worked with was friendly and willing to help.
Management is terrible. CEO only cares about stock price.
VP / Commercial Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 27, 2018
Horrible systems. Culture is a joke. I have a hunch the management will relocate headquarters to San Francisco as they favor Californians and all come from there. Thanks Ray.
I love my current job.
Loan Origination Specialist (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 20, 2018
I am just looking for weekend work. I am well established at my current job. I love the atmosphere at Umpqua bank. My bosses are amazing. The benefits are great.
Do more with less
COMMERICAL UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 13, 2018
The work load and expectations are high. The credit process is cumbersome with multiple layers of management. Additionally, process can be repetitive. The people you work with are great.
Pros
The people
Cons
The process
Universal Associate
Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJanuary 11, 2018
Umpqua Bank was my first banking employment and for that I am very grateful, something that stuck out to me most was their involvement with our community. We were able to allot hours of our working week to donate our time within our community. I was very lucky during my employment here to work under two wonderful managers whom both helped me grow and learn so much. The workplace culture is fun and very welcoming, everyone helps support each other with tasks at hand. The hardest part of the job was the transitioning going on within the company, I was part of two "stores" (branches) closure and that was hard to not know what the company's next step was. The most enjoyable part of my employment was the relationships I built with my customers, I am very passionate about customer service and I was able to step out of the traditional idea of what a banker is expected to be and really become familiar with our customers in our valley who were sharing their days and money with our institution.
Good community
Sr. Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 10, 2018
I enjoyed my 6 years at Umpqua Bank. There was a lot of turn over in the underwriting department but the people I worked closely with were wonderful team players with a wealth of knowledge and compassion for the job and for the communities we work in.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Unwillingness to cross train to help employees expand
Employee orientated fast paced
Universal Account Expert (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 9, 2018
Umpqua is a fast-paced customer and employee company. They take care of their employees and understand that doing so help the employees give better customer service. However this does come with a fast-paced high-stress call center setting
A great employer
VP-IT Field Support & Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 8, 2018
Umpqua Bank is a great place to work. The culture is completely centered on the customer experience and everyone drives to make that happen. A lot of time, effort & training is toward the culture.
Pros
Culture, supportive environment
Not fun place to work
Senior Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAJanuary 7, 2018
Workplace culture was not enjoyable due to poor management. The manager was rude to the employees and the majority of the employees quit. The incident program was almost impossible to achieve.
Unchallenging assignment
Senior Business Intelligence Developer & Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORDecember 27, 2017
This was a contract assignment. It wasn't especially challenging. While I was assigned to some impactful projects, they were brief. The majority of the work was very bureaucratic in nature.
It is a good place to work
Lead Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario, ORDecember 20, 2017
Umpqua Bank has been very good to me I have worked there a long time but I am looking for a change in careers. I have worked my way from teller up to new accounts, loan officer and supervisory position.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Sales pressure to meet goals
There was a great culture at Umpqua
Digital Application Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORDecember 14, 2017
Very busy, lots of juggling to keep the work moving forward on many tracks. You and your manager need to look out for you or burnout will happen. Too easy to get sucked in and try to do it all.
Easy-Going
Universal Associate III (Current Employee) –  Corte Madera, CADecember 6, 2017
Great group of people to work with, staff always friendly and helpful. But some managers were under qualified and lower level associates had to do management tasks without proper compensation.
Learning Experience
Senior Mortgage Banker (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 6, 2017
The mortgage lending experience must be invigorating, pleasurable, sensitive, and demonstrate the upmost integrity because it is multi-faceted and can lead to earning the customers full financial relationship. Resulting, in checking/savings account, retirement accounts, further mortgage referrals and business. It is vital to establish rapport with each client and give them the best quality service and become there lender for life.

As a senior mortgage banker it is vital you stay humble and never stop learning the guidelines to expand knowledge, which, will help your customer base grow because you can offer a wide array of products. Furthermore, treat every client as if they are your only customer. In a competitive world with low cost loans and rates the only difference is the person conducting the loan and how you are going to take care and serve each client as if it is your own family member.
With a few tweaks could be a great place to work instead of a good place to work.
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 29, 2017
Workdays are usually fun with great people to work with. Management can sometimes be a little to hands-on, but in general they treat you with respect.
Pros
40 hours per year to do volunteer work. Working at home a day a week.
Cons
Silly customs like Motivational Moments. Very few celebrations.
I understand it is a business but sales is the whole goal
Universal Teller (Former Employee) –  Ontario, ORNovember 21, 2017
Customers get tired of being asked everytime they come in so will avoid coming in. Have to track every phone call, person you cross sell to. Goals of $400,000 for the year not including Home loans,
Pros
Great bank employees, benefits, hours, days off etc.
Cons
Pressure on performance and sales

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Umpqua Bank. Our community is ready to answer.