Umpqua Bank Employee Reviews

NOT the worlds greatest bank
ACH Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 15, 2017
Thinks they are a community bank still but have become a big bank corporation. Anything to add money to the pockets of those who dont need it. The pay is horrible, theres no room for advancement, communication is non existing and recognition doesnt happen.
There are some GREAT people that work here who help stay at the job but they dont care for their employees, especially those who work behind the scenes
Pros
Great benefits, SOME awesome coworkers
Cons
Pay, leadership, recognition
Decently reliable position with poor management/culture
Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORApril 10, 2017
I believe Umpqua has intentions of being a slightly different kind of bank that partakes in community outreach and treats its employees well. Those are the things that drew me in, because they really emphasize how great their culture is. However, this particular branch had a manager and assistant manager who made it really difficult to enjoy being there. Neither of them seemed to care that much about Umpqua's intended cultural values, but instead carried the attitude that the goal is to put in the bare minimum from exactly 9am to exactly 5pm. I felt somewhat appreciated while I was there, but not very supported or encouraged to strive for higher things. Our branch had also recently been absorbed by Umpqua, and I don't believe they did a very good job of making it a smooth transition. It was difficult to begin working there shortly after that transition--even while I was there, our store hours were shortened, and therefore breaks were cut in half to allow us to make our 40 hours. Not ideal.
Pros
Full time hours, decent pay, a couple of great coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, poor management, disconnection from company values, terrible customers
Average
Closed (Former Employee) –  OregonApril 5, 2017
Average company to work for.A lot of changes with the merger. Disconnected communication, lacking vision. Everyone wants to drive but no knows the destination.
Good Work
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAMarch 30, 2017
Enjoyed working with my co-workers. Large company, and gives you many opportunities to work within the community. Many places to learn different duties within your department
A good place to start a banking career
Senior Vice President/Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 25, 2017
I worked for Umpqua full time for about four years. The opportunity to volunteer in the communities was excellent and the employees do great work for the good of others. A big plus.

That said, some segments of senior management can be somewhat overbearing and sometimes need help in "letting go" and letting their managers manage their teams. The company employs excellent people and if they were all allowed to do the jobs they are hired for that would be great. We all want to succeed.

Workplace culture included suit and ties for men and professional wear for women and sometimes felt outdated and old fashioned.

It is an appropriate bank with which to start a banking career.

Compensation and benefits were excellent.
Fast paced
Home Lending Custom Construction (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORMarch 22, 2017
This company provides you with the opportunity to learn a lot about all aspects of the banking industry and is growing very quickly. It started as a very small, local bank and has grown to service 7+ states.
Pros
Local, customer focused
Cons
Certain departments seem to have a high turnover rate
Fast pace, busy job
Customer Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORMarch 20, 2017
Company has great culture and worked with several friendly staff members. A typical day would include answering phones and delegating or handling the phone calls from customers and stores.
daily duties
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORMarch 9, 2017
Typically I am called upon to help customers with existing problems or design new solutions including the plan to migration from old to new networks.

I enjoy helping customers design scalable and redundant networks.
I firmly believe in keeping network design simple, standardized and well documented.
Under knowleged
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Waldport, ORFebruary 16, 2017
I was new to the banking system and struggled to get the just of all that was required. I did the best I could. Not able to understand all the various elements in the banking world. Loved the customer service and the people who came in the branch - People skills I got . The products I could not grasp
Pros
small town- local community
Cons
Lots of state guidelines I didnt understand
Great company to work for!
Universal Associate III (Former Employee) –  Central Point, ORJanuary 23, 2017
I truly enjoyed working for Umpqua Bank and was very successful but not a lot of room to advance in Southern Oregon. Great work environment and the culture is top notch. The best part of my job was my amazing coworkers and fantastic customers.
Umpqua
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 19, 2017
This is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The only thing that I believe could improve would be the amount and how vacation is accrued. Management is great.
The same as any other bank.
SENIOR RELATIONSHIP MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 19, 2017
Not much different from any other bank I've worked at. Some good, some bad. As always, the experience is highly driven by your immediate management.
Most departments are hit or miss with management. Overall a great place to work.
Universal Associate, Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, OR 97470January 18, 2017
I really enjoyed working for this company. Though, they do have expectations which make it difficult to have a healthy personal/work life balance. Still, I would recommend this as a place to work to family and friends.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Unbalanced personal/work life expectations from management.
Changes
Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJanuary 5, 2017
It was a great bank to work for in early years. As it grew it just became another big bank. When they merged with Sterling Bank it went down hill quickly.
Pros
Great learning experience.
Cons
Became less about employees and customers and more about growth.
Love the co-workers
Desktop Support Tech (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 21, 2016
Not a good place to work as a Tech due to inconstancy from management. Management will tell an associate one thing, but tell another associate something different. They never let you know how good you are doing, only what you do wrong.
High Expectation
Former Member (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORDecember 9, 2016
Sterling bank was the second largest bank in the pacific northwest and it focused on it customers and employees. It was a wonderful place to work. Once Sterling merged with Umpqua a pattern emerged almost immeditally to reveal that Sterling employees were paid higher salary's compared to Umpqua employees. Within 24 months few Sterling employees were still employed with Umpqua.
World's Greatest Culture
Online Banking Expert (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORDecember 6, 2016
Umpqua Bank is truly the world's greatest bank. With a can-do attitude they take on the toughest challenges not just as a team, but as a family. Even after the merger of Sterling bank the still come out with their heads held high and excited for their future.
Pros
Phenomenal Incentive based structure
Cons
Good company but a lot of interesting changes
Lead Universal Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 11, 2016
Fun company, great people to work with. They are turning towards a big bank model. Great benefits and compensation but those things are changing. Every location is different
Pros
Good culture
Cons
Culture is changing to more of a big bank
Well rounded philosophy
Universal Teller 2 (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORNovember 8, 2016
Friendly, cheerful, but rather rude when getting to know a new client. Lots of turnover in employees. Mediocre management, some training.
Great financial experience
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 5, 2016
Great financial experience. The position helps an individual learn all things banking, report development and financial. There is always room for growth for those looking for it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Umpqua Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9