UNC Health Care Employee Reviews

Huge Teaching Institution
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 7, 2017
Interesting cases, mostly nice staff, nurturing environment. Learned a lot ,Experienced to much found my crowd going under the bus. Machiavellian forces feathering there nests with the bodies of coworkers!
Pros
Independance, Familarity
Cons
Long drive, no parking, snakes in the grass!
Very busy and productive
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 7, 2017
Fast paced. Great place to learn all aspects of the operating room. The quality of care is commendable. The employees came together well. Great place
WorkPlace Culture
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NC 27514July 28, 2017
I love the culture of UNC. Many times we take advantage of the wonderful atmosphere we are surrounded by everyday due to work. But we work in one of the most beautiful cities that attracts some of the best physicians and athletes in the world and that itself its truly an honor. Of course there are things that could be better (pay) for those who actually do the work, but we do get great state benefits on the flip side and a great retirement package.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Parking
Unc healthcare is a great place to work
Clinical support technician I/II (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 27, 2017
I worked for UNC almost 8 years. I worked on the same unit for 6 years. I loved my patient population. Management changed too often which to me effected work balance. Tasks not deligated equally. I also had the opportunity to work on several different units that were truly amazing. Teamwork, communication and deligation of tasks among Co-workers makes a unit a place you want to keep coming back to work for.
Pros
Benefits, caring attitudes, partnerships, people helping others when ever they can
Cons
Poor management, work load unequal, 30 minute lunch when working 12 plus hours a day
Best teaching hospital, excellent learning environment and job training
Clinical Support Tech/Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 24, 2017
Excellent, consistent job training, teaching hospital

Hardest job I've ever loved!

Supportive management

Rotating shifts policy should be eliminated for best practices regarding patient care and safety

Advancement should be merit-based on performance rather than length of service, longevity and tenure. For example, I have worked with quality four to five year RNs that are far more productive, efficient, and more current with latest technologies and best practices on a unit than some 20+ year RNs who appear ready to retire.

Low salaries
Pros
Training, education, recertification, work/life, management
Cons
Salary, rotating shifts, advancement and promotions
nice work place
INFORMATION HELP DESK (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 20, 2017
great place to work in for employees, great pay for novice employees. management is great. area is very nice. relax calm environment for not only doctors but employees
terrible
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJuly 17, 2017
stay away from this place of employment unless you like the huge feeling of dread going into work, fear of management, worry about a target on your back if you don't fit in. it's a terrible place to work.
Pros
Zero
Day in and Day out in the Workplace
Dietetic Assistant/cook (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough, NCJuly 15, 2017
Once I get to work I jump on the grill while the second shift cook restocks I cook made to order meals for patients there family as well as staff for about 400+ people or more in total. Currently I work a 3rd shift position.
Pros
I have a whole day to get things done before work
Cons
Understaffed and a little unorganized
Overall good company to work for
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 13, 2017
Overall good company. Like any big company their is always room for improvement in many area's. Our HR department is where it should all start. As people we want to feel value in the work we do and company we work for.
UNC Hospitals overall is a good place to work
Healthcare Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 12, 2017
UNC Hospitals offers a great work-life balance. I can take time off whenever I need it without any problems. The people are usually friendly and helpful. It is a team-oriented environment. The overall culture is family-oriented and that we take care of our employees. Unfortunately, as with any big organization, there are those who need to move on.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
short breaks, part of the University of NC
Great Place to work
Supply Chain Supervisor (Materials Management) (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough, NCJuly 7, 2017
UNC is a great facility to work for the employees and managers are terrific people and everyone is patient oriented before anything else. There PTO and other benefits for their employees are top notch!
Poor Management/HR
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chapel hilJuly 6, 2017
Had a good time there for the most part, but between management and HR no one worked together. Its always this isn't my job talk to so and so, whom intentionally ignores the fact your in need of assistance. Worst part is the organization allows "clicks" Which causes drama to continue throughout the organization. I've already been through high school! Needed a more mature setting.
Pros
Reasonable Pay
Cons
Condicending management
Genesis
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 5, 2017
It is a really great place to work. You get to set your own schedule, 12 hours 3 days a week. You work with great people and great managers who are willing to accommodate you.
UNC Typical Day
Operating Room Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 21, 2017
I worked 10 1/2 days 4 days a week plus call once a week and weekend call every 6th week.

Very educational, and my job very helpful to the surgeons in that they had to get a job done, operation, and needed my assistance to get that job done..

Lots of down time. Lots of up time that left you in an OR many times for hours..

All in all, a great place to work. Many employee friends, patients and their family friends. Have a nice salary today because of them and would recommend highly the Healthcare Center.
Pros
Only worked 4 days a week. Fantastic salary plus call.
Cons
Long hours there. Work next day with no sleep
assisting on the beautification committee (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 19, 2017
Worked with patients of many different ages, well organized and professional place. Enjoyed my job and the skills I learned along the way. Most important part of my job were the people I was taking care of.
Not a bad company to work for.
HCS Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lenoir, NCJune 13, 2017
Not a lot of opportunity for growth if at one of the associated entities instead of at main UNC campus. Lots of projects and a ton of work to keep you busy but don't expect to get a lot of training or overtime.
Good hospital to work for
Intermediate Care, Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 10, 2017
Overall, great culture and hard-working people. Competitive pay for the area and great benefits. Always room for improvement in staffing and resources.
Mohs Surgery Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 9, 2017
- Good benefits and competitive pay
- Best place to work in North Carolina
- Atmosphere of inclusion
- Good work culture and team mindset
- opportunity for advancement
smart place to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NC 27514June 9, 2017
I loved meeting the patients and working with them. The fact that i was able to put a smile on their face during such a hard time.
Every department is different so it depends who you work for
Pros
seeing patients happy
Cons
seeing patients sick
Very productive workplace
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 9, 2017
Management is great and will provide all of the training you need and more. There are many opportunities for advancement within the company and handsome compensation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNC Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.