Unc Hospitals Employee Reviews

UNC Hospital
Radiology Technology Extender (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 28, 2015
UNC was the best organization that I have ever worked for. My mother and my grandmother both retired from here. The atmosphere in this hospital is by far one of the best I have ever experienced. I was relocating when I left this organization. Hands down, there is no second guessing if I would go take on another chance at working there.
Pros
retirement
Cons
parking
Advantages in working for stable organization
RN - Program Manager UNC Carolina Air Care (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 7, 2015
General culture of an academic medical center, silos, complex, working towards being an integrated system but has a long way to go. Good financial leadership from Senior level, Division of Nursing works to promote and advance from within and provide opportunity to learn from within using available resources such as learning to do research and promoting those types of activities. Politics for power at times allowed to take precedence over fair and consistent treatment. Good benefits package - take State Retirement plan if it is an option.
Pros
education benefits, state employment system - retirement package when available
Cons
parking if working at main campus, food is expensive
DIFFICULT PLACE TO WORK
Staff Nurse emergency (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 27, 2015
fast paced level I trauma center and teaching hosp, nursing assignments are typically understaffed. high staff turnover rate. many new grad RN's with no experience.
Pros
all the overtime you can possibly work
Cons
dated physical environment, area too small for work intended, lack of support staff
Busy clinic largely run by team-worker RNs
Clinic Triage Nurse: Division of ENT (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 25, 2014
Very demanding position, but supported and appreciated by all staff
Pros
function somewhat independently
Cons
volume of work
First job as RN
Per Diem Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 11, 2014
I learned a lot both professionally and personally. I worked pe rdiem so I floated to different floors.
Pros
environment
Cons
30 min lunch break
Busy department with opportunities to enhance your skills
Full Time Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 18, 2014
The main department opens at 730 am with outpatients, adult and pediatric, biopsies, and any stat emergency room patients. As the day progresses and more technologists arrive routine inpatients and portables are performed.
At this hospital, there are many exams performed that are not usually performed at outpatient clinics.
Fresh liver transplants, fresh renal transplants, fresh pancreatic transplants, intraoperative ultrasounds, renal artery stenosis ultrasounds, along with general abdominal and ob/gyn are some of the exams performed.
The coworkers are close knit and work together well.
The hardest part of the job is coordinating all of the exams coming from many areas of the hospital with the techs available.
Pros
competitive pay, good benefits
Cons
shift coverage
Offers balanced work life and possibilities for promotions
Government Programs Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 2, 2014
Family oriented environment. Believe in the team concept.
Pros
walking trails, and exercise room
Cons
lots of compliance
Hours are great
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 25, 2014
You have to be mentally and physically prepared to work in the health care arena it is demanding. But also rewarding at the same time. I did not have to work weekends and my schedule was consistent which I loved.
Pros
scheduling
Cons
demanding
Good learning environment with wonderful staff to wor with.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 16, 2014
A typical day l had always been interesting, from start of shift to the end of the shift, knowledge is gained.
Truly a Great Place to work
Pharmacy Assistance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 30, 2014
I loved everything about the job. I worked 9-6:30, Mon - Fri. I loved meeting the patients and interacting with them to set them up on the Pharmacy Assistance Program.
great benefits
Cardiology Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 11, 2014
Would have loved to continued working here. A typical day is fairly busy. Can be quite stressful.
Medical Support Assistant
Medical Support Assistant in the Operating Room (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 18, 2014
Answer multi telephone lines, fliling, faxing and e-mailing.
Schedule surgeries/Data entry make sure paper work is complete.
Check in patients before surgery.
Dispatch calls to the Doctors to the Operating Room.
Loved UNC
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  chapel hill, north carolinaFebruary 16, 2014
UNC was an amazing place to work. Everyday was a truly wonderful experience. My co-workers were amazing, it was truly my favorite place to work.
Hospital
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 1, 2013
Just like every other job you have good and bad days. But I can honestly say that the good definitely outweighed the bad. Trying to get back.
Occassional challenges, but overall great
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  6 Childrens and Pediatric Oncology ClinicSeptember 22, 2013
I loved working there, and would love to get back there. The patients, staff, and environment are one that I miss. I grew so much as a nurse there and appreciate all the ups and downs. It can be hard to work for a state run facility, but the devotion of the staff and physicians caring for such wonderful patients is evident.
I loved this place
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 29, 2013
My typical day was billing out about 500 claims, and having hardly any denials come back. I was the back up biller for Medicare, Medicaid and BCBS. I was the primary biller for Commercial, Tricare, Managed Care, Workers Comp, and Liability as well as Secondary payers. I loved my co-workers, as we all got along. I was the office trainer for the girls, whenever we got a new system. I was the first to learn the short cuts within, and showed the girls how to navigate through it. The hardest part of the job was probably the ever changing edits within the system. Sometimes there were so many at times it was frustrating. But we had a fantastic IT team, and they made the problems seem easy. My manager at the time was a dream, she pushed us to become better, and I appreciated her for that.
Excellent place for employment and increasing experience .
Clinical Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 31, 2013
UNC Hospital labs is ranked in the top few as having cutting edge technology. Excellent place to help other colleagues and doctors decide on treatment plans based on shared information at daily slide rounds.
Pros
center for continuing education
Cons
not applicable
Admin. Associate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 22, 2013
Just an overall great experience. The people are very friendly and easy to get along with. They have a great training program and they will help you to succeed.
Insurance Verification Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 12, 2013
Had to verify insurance for patients coming in for outpatient surgery and other procedures using ICD 9 and CPT4 codes. Prepare financial folders for the Financial Counselors. Assisted Patient Transplant Coordinator.
Pros
very nice environment
Cons
n/a
Not what you think
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 21, 2013
Cleaning,waxing floors,taking cares of patients needs such as communicating with them bringing them things that is needed sanatizing the patients rooms and the unit which im working on ive learn evryone isnt fortunate to have family to come see them and spend time and that im the only person they see so being there for them is great managment at that time was ok i feel like there for themselves and not their employees co-workres are great just like family sometimes getting the tasks done are hard because of the way the day goes
benefits
Cons
management