UNC Employee Reviews

Ideal place for development of character and education
Student-Athlete (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 14, 2017
As a student-athlete on UNC's prestigious women's soccer team, I mastered the skill of time management through excelling academically and athletically. Extra training outside of structured practices was required in order to maintain my role as a 4-year starter. This has taught me the necessity of taking personal time to learn and refine skills that I have carried outside of the athletic realm. The extraordinary team environment that I lived in throughout my career allowed me to experience all roles from freshman follower through to becoming a senior captain. Beyond leading by example, as I gained experience on the team, I had to work more in skills of confrontation and holding others accountable for the good of the team.

Beyond the intensity of college athletics, I have always carried my schoolwork to high standards. Picking up a double major in Biology and Environmental studies allowed me to combine my interests of research, environmental concerns, and the humanitarian call for action.
A day at work.
Administrative Associate/Patient Liason (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 26, 2016
I have learned alot from this job because they have us do work for every area of the clinic since we are short staffed. That can be a good thing and bad, bad because they over work us and it just seems like as much as we do it never enough. My coworkers are all great and management could use help. The most enjoyable part of my job is working around people and meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Clinic Management
good place to work
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clinton, NCAugust 12, 2016
This is awesome place to work, management is wonderful. Everyone works together as a team in this place. The doctors really care about their patients and are also great to work with.
Pros
great staff
Cons
opened on weekends
Not a progressive work environment
HR Director (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 3, 2013
Working at this public sector organization might not be the best fit for those looking for a proactive and progressive organization to work for. The dearth of state funding presents serious challenges with competitive compensation and benefits offered are barely comparable to private sector offerings.

Management within units in the organization can be hit or miss; a true tale of the good, the bad and the ugly.

The biggest benefit of this organization is its people and there are some real gems who work cooperatively and collaboratively, unfortunately, due to the compensation factors, many of these employees are lost to superior employment offers from outside organizations.
Pros
flexible work schedules, abundant opportunities for training and development, extended break schedules
Cons
poor compensation, inexperienced management, high employee turnover
Unc chapel hill / renci
Creative Director (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 29, 2016
While working at UNC / RENCI I honed my skills and worked with a diverse array of people in both academia and the Research Triangle. I managed small teams and honed my skill set as a designer by working on numerous projects and budgets. The spectrum was anywhere from a simple two week project to a year long campaign that saw multi-collaborative efforts with multiple universities and companies. These experiences molded me into an experienced Creative Director that feels comfortable leading many different kinds of projects that deal with small to large budgets and small to large teams of people working towards a common goal.
Pros
Holidays, Paid Vacation
Cons
Difficulty moving any higher without PHD
Metabolomics and NMR
Metabolomics Laboratory Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCJune 22, 2015
Typical work:
Show up at whatever hour your tissue sample(s) arrive (sometimes in the middle of the night). Extract cells, put them in a bioreactor, try to run NMR spectroscopy on them. Wait until something breaks, and then spend the next few days fixing it. Repeat until you're asked to design something completely outside your scope of experience. Start designing it while continuing to work in the lab. Pull out hair. Repeat.

Cool parts:
You get to play with giant magnets that are cooled with liquid nitrogen and helium, so every once in a while you have a "snow day" in the lab while recharging the coolant.
The "make it work" approach is praised, even when you have to use duct tape.
Coworkers are fairly easygoing.
You're actually doing science. Stuff gets published.

Weird things:
Working with human livers is a disease risk. Working with dangerous chemicals is ... dangerous. Gloves, fume hoods, and UV eye protection are frequently needed. Also, the magnet will fry anything in your pockets if you get too close, but this is only an issue if you're forgetful.
Cons
Pay is project based
Located in a rural community.
Assistant Professor, Social Work Department (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, NCAugust 31, 2015
UNCP is a small campus, located in a southeastern rural area. It is an University that takes pride on their beginning history linked to the Lumbee tribe. The University has changed since then, and the student population keeps growing.

The MSW program is considered as one of the largest in North Carolina and their orientation is on Advanced Generalist Practice. I had been fortunate to teach Advanced Clinical Courses, which is my passion.
Pros
The students in the master degree appreciate the knowledge they are acquiring.
Cons
The salary scale is low and the opportunities for salary increases have been minimal.
Relaxing job that gave me the opportunity to strengthen my computer knowledge
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 19, 2014
This job was relaxing, but at times could be boring. Everyone was generally pretty nice, and it gave me the time to strengthen both my PC and Mac skills. My boss was really understanding and always willing to give us pay raises when deserved. The hardest part of the job was fixing the printer when it was being uncooperative. The most enjoyable part was getting to complete assignments and relax. None of the students coming in for help were ever rude.
Fun fast paced work
Concession Stand Worker (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 19, 2016
I would make nachos, hot dogs, and popcorn. I took orders from the spectators and relay them to my team members. My goal was to deliver the food in a timely matter.
What I've Learned
Records Manager (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 2, 2013
After working at several marketing agencies and finding I needed more of a work-life balance, I took this position. While higher education is a very interesting and sometimes rewarding field, it just isn't for me long-term. I loved working with communications, project management and marketing and hope to be able to return to a position that better uses my strengths in those areas.
Business and application specialist
Business and Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 4, 2016
Requirement gathering
Data mapping
Functional and technical documentation
Development
Business meeting with other schools
UNC Employment
Claims Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 17, 2014
My current position is one that has allowed me to understand the claims process from the provider's side of claim submission. I have learned two new systems, Allscripts and Epic. I previously worked for BCBS and for the last 5 years I worked from home. I have had to get adjusted to working under a "micro" manager. I prefer management that allows the staff to work without feeling as though you are constantly being monitored. I am an adult and I go to work to perform my job responsibilities. The hardest part of my job is being back in a job atmosphere with so much unnecessary monitoring. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I have and continue to learn more about claims submission and processing from the front office to billing edits and corrections.
Pros
Scheduling flexibility
Cons
Not a fan of micromanaging
Great place to work and figure out future career plans.
Homecare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 29, 2015
Some really great co-workers, but very limited in regards to job advancement. From day one you will be put in a role and will work that role until you either take a lateral position or leave.
Pros
Employees
Cons
No room to advance your career.
You will meet a lot of fun and nice people
Building Environmental Tech (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 15, 2014
Enjoyed the many people i met and worked with.Great pay and benefits. some management were very kind and cared for workers
Pros
Meeting a lot of nice people
Great Great Compnay
Epic Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 27, 2015
Contract position, would have loved a permanent job with this company. Stability, work environment, co-workers, management all great and helpful. I would recommend applying to UNC for many many reasons.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Commute
The work environment is always interesting because team work is the corner stone of each day's work
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill , NCMay 11, 2015
UNC is a very good institution to work at. Administration is one of the best as it cares for employees growth . Work schedule is flexible in that management provides opportunities for staff to balance personal life and work.
A very educational environment. The most prosperous,patient oriented,leading, teaching and caring organization in the country.
Patient Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 28, 2011
The experience was one that I aspire to return to in the near future. I have since returned to college to complete a B.S. in Healthcare Management with aspirations of becoming a Clinical Director or any such position that I qualify.
Pros
growth potential
Cons
state operated
Productive Evironment
Housekeeping Temp (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 24, 2014
Cleaning/ Solitude
, practice safe use of os1 chemicals and in correct areas by color as well as numbers, also detailing the restrooms using the acid chemical, safety foam, beauty seal
management did their jobs and made sure we did ours properly
some were helpful and considerate
completing the duties early
Pros
being able to clean a building on my own and it having all of whats was necessary to do so, finishing early, and the credit behind such great work
Cons
the messes prior to cleaning could be overwhelming at times
Enjoyed work experience; learned so much.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 2, 2015
I use a structured approach, prioritizing on a scheduled basis, and monitoring workloads. I always adapt my priorities to deal with urgent jobs to make sure they’re done as soon as possible.I list all projects I am involved in, and list all deadlines for task or project completion. Indicate which deadlines are hard deadlines, and which ones are flexible. I list the amount of time I expect it will take me to complete my work on each project. I over-estimate this time, as I might run into distractions or issues that delay completion of the work. I make a to-do list of tasks in order based on the amount of time I expect the work to take and the deadlines for the work. For example, if I have work on a project that is due in a week, and I expect the work to take me a few days, that particular project will be ahead of work I expect to take a month but is not due for three more months. I share my to-do list with my manager or all appropriate team members to ensure I have the correct plan. I communicate regularly with my managers and team members about my progress. I alert them of any issues or delays as soon as possible so everyone else can adjust their schedules and expectations, or so someone else can help me complete a task that is taking longer than normal.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Traffic
UNC Charlotte Research Assistant
Teaching Assistant - Communication and Networking (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 9, 2015
The projects are good but the pay is not high it barely covers rent expenses. Overall its a good school but the job opportunities are not that great for engineer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNC. Our community is ready to answer.