UNCF Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 27, 2012
I was there filling in for an employee on sick leave. I would open up the office, turn on all machines, check the mail. Process checks and invoices, answer phones, keep the schedule of boss. The management team is the greatest, very supportive and knowledgeable, and My co-workers were the same. The toughest part of the job was trying to raise large amounts of money but it was very enjoyable trying and coming close to set goals.
Pros
networking and helping others continue their education
Cons
that i'm not able to continue working there
Relaxed environment
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 16, 2015
A typical day at work consist of answering multi-line phone and inquiries about college scholarship funding. What I learned from UNCF is to conduct as a professional on and off the clock. The department I worked was fundraiser. There was a plethora of individuals from various corporations visiting the office.
Great Mission
N/A (Current Employee) –  N/AAugust 29, 2014
Great Mission
Understaffed
Limited Resources
Upper Management not responsive to challenges faced by employees
Unrealistic Fundraising goals established by senior leadership
No training provided to Supervisors /managers on how to treat employees
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Limited resources, understaffed
The environment is friendly and shows room for growth within the company.
Social Media Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2016
A typical work day for an intern includes helping out within the Communications Office, and aiding in different tasks and projects going on.
Good salary but unreasonable expectations in a toxic environment
Regional Director of Major Gifts (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 5, 2013
The mission of the organization is wonderfully purposeful and viable. On a national level, there is a desire to develop a team approach, i.e., that headquarters and field operations unite, that each area office works as a team rather than as competitors.

There is no room for advancement within the organization unless there is an opening due to a departure. It is because of the struggle for job security that competition is so strong amongst employees. Employees are reminded that this organization is an at-will employer.
There are no allowances in the expectations for employees who develop medically-proven, temporary health challenges.

There are erroneous expectations that southern regional approaches are to be applied to western regional approaches in fundraising for HBCUs. Geographical and demographical information proves fundraising approaches for HBCUs to be very different for the western region than the southern region.

Regional senior management of field operations is not held accountable for poor interpersonal communication regarding fundraising efforts or resolving inter-office personnel conflicts, particularly when unethical employee has been identified as such and yet has the ear and support of regional senior management. Senior management appears to be inept in dealing fairly and reasonably with such matters.

I've learned to remain focused on my work; to report the politics that specifically interfere with my success to human resources when also reporting it to senior regional management; to be accountable for strengthening my knowledge base and
  more... operations within the non-profit industry.

Work/life balance is difficiult to achieve at this organization.
Pros
Good salary, decent benefits
Cons
Work/life balance is extremely difficult, management interferes scheduled vacations with non urgent matters
Fair administrative support and micro management
Development Consultant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 26, 2015
Great insider look into the organization and can understand why there has been turn-over and a need of consultants. There is a huge need for an update in the CRM system.
Pros
exposure to community partners
Cons
leadership and direction
loved it
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 17, 2013
I did a summer internship for the UNCF in Boston and I absolutely loved it. Me and 1 other intern were given our own office space. We worked together working on the UNCF social media and other administrative assistant duties. We had a nice pay and had a close relationship with our boss. We built our network thanks for our boss. It was a wonderful experience.
Productive Goal oriented Working environment
Developmental Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando,FLFebruary 2, 2012
Its a small portion of a large corporation that works hard to build foundations in the relations with other companies to help fund placement for college students and charitable events.
Great mission
Midwest Regional Director of Workplace Initiatives (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2013
Great mission, enjoyed workplace campaigns. People knew the motto "A mind is a terrible thing to waste".
Pros
great mission
N/a
Intern- Office (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 27, 2014
Loving working here as a intern, I do wish it was a permanent job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNCF. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6