Uncle Bob's Self Storage Employee Reviews

Great and friendly
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hixson, TNJanuary 1, 2016
Great place to work. Staff is super friendly and would help with anything at anytime. Face to face customer service which is fantastic.
Was a good job. Loved what i did not the company.
Associate manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 10, 2015
Really liked the job when i started there. The people i worked with was great. I reviewed little to no training though. Was just thrown into it pretty much which then later find out there were things i had no clue about. The company does not care very much about their employees they just care about making the money. They have secret shoppers go around to shop you to see if you are following step by step what they want you say. Even if you had no issues with getting normal customers to rent if you did not pass their test you would get wrote up for not convincing a "fake customer" to rent a space. The pay sucked for what they want you to do.
Like i said i loved what i did. But later on i needed something full time and a little more money.
Pros
Great customers, flexible hours, not always stuck in an office
Cons
Pay, management. Owners, training
poor upper management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, GASeptember 25, 2015
the company use to care about the people, now all they care about is the almighty dollar to the point of getting rid of long term people to hire new people at lower wages
Stressful workplace with unobtainable expictations
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaAugust 11, 2015
When I started with Uncle Bob's I thought that it was going to be a great job. Getting paid $10 an hour to just clean the property and move people in and out of the storage units. And it was like that, until the area manager changed. Then everything that was promised to me when I was hired was no longer recognized. I never received a proper training therefore I was prone to making mistakes. The area manager had it out for most of the workers in the area because they would tell us to do something that was against policy and we would tell them that we cant do that. The area manager would talk to us like we were their child and it was just a horrible experience. I even reported the job conditions to Human Resources. But they didn't do all that was needed to make it a pleasant working environment. After I left I find out that other employees that had been there months, even years before me were fed up and left as well. To be honest the only thing I miss about the job is the money. Other than that, I'm better off. I wouldn't say the entire company in a whole is terrible, but the area I was in was a nightmare!
Pros
The pay, a golf cart
Cons
management, stressful, no communication
Daily operations, office work, new skills
Manager (Former Employee) –  FlemingtonJuly 21, 2015
A great company to grow with and learn. Hard work, Good people, and Fun. All the training to fit the need of any customer. Big company but feel like home.
Job and employees were great
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2015
the area where I was located the customer treated you like slaves. the literally wanted you to get down on your hands and knees to do for them. Other than that it was an awesome experience
Pros
great BENEFITS 401K
Cons
i belelive there was a religion problem
Great learning experience
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHApril 7, 2015
Uncle Bob's was a great learning experience in leadership. I was responsible for a property of over 400 spaces containing the personal belongings of others.
Former Employee
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaMarch 16, 2015
Uncle Bobs was a good company when I started with them. Then they turned from customer oriented to money oriented. Area Managers roam freely with little supervisor from corporate which leads to a lot of favoritism and often changing policies to benifit their views of management. Upper management supports them 100% preventing things from ever leveling out. Th AM and I had it out on more than one occasion over company policy painting a target on my back. Proved I was within company policy and there was a total disregard for ethic. I went to both HR and to the RVP and got no where. Even had both emails and recordings that proved the behavior of the AM and their interactions with store personnel and it fell on deaf ears.
Pros
hours are good. customer experience is good.
Cons
poor management experience. hardly any follow through. bad pay for the expectations.
Learned many great things there
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAFebruary 22, 2015
The company is no longer in business. We would service swimming pools and their equipment. Check chemical levels and make adjustments as necessary. In-ground liner replacement, clean ups, open and close pools for the season.
Very difficult work environment. Corporate tells you one way to behave, direct management tells you another.
General Manger (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 9, 2014
Not a good company to work for. If you follow the rules you are out of favor with your area manager, if you don't you will be out of a job. If your area manager doesn't like you, he will find a way to fire you. I have seen too many good employees fired because they were not liked by management, not because they did anything wrong.

If you are female and/or over 30, forget working for this company. You will never get fair treatment. It is a good ole boys network and very youth oriented.
Pros
the work itself was enjoyable if you can put up with the corporate bs
Cons
a culture of dog eat dog and backbiting. if you are not young and attractive don't bother, they have no use for anyone over 30.
Productive and fast paced
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Bedford TXSeptember 15, 2014
Primary role for facility manager, I assisted every customer with finding the right size unit needed. Following with application and billing process keeping in mind to up sale. I maintained at least a 93% capacity ratio facility in whole.
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 11, 2014
renting spaces, preparing rental agreements, handling financial transactions and banking activities,
maintaining a working knowledge of all product and services, maintaining general curb appeal, cleaning spaces, other duties as assigned by the Store Manager.
Great place to work.
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Mableton, GAAugust 31, 2014
Typical day at work consists of showing storage spaces to potential customers, attempting to reconcile delinquent accounts, and general upkeep of the property. Management is great. They give you the freedom to learn duties on your own but still offer guidance when needed. Hardest part of the job would be following legal procedures regarding the auctioning of delinquent units. If not done correctly, it can hurt the company.
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson MissJuly 29, 2014
This job is very good place to work. I have currently been with this company almost three years but the job has no room for advancement. I been in the same postion I have been in since I got hired due to the managers being long time workers and not moving up themselves. ovreall I love my job because of my customer but because of me wanted to advance I have to look for an better opportunity.
Pros
flexiable work schedule
Cons
no job advancement.
Meeting customers and getting to know them
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJuly 19, 2014
Have worked at Uncle Bob’s self storage as assistant manager for 6 months gaining the experience of a 710 unit location with Truck Rentals and learning all facets of the business. Typical day consisted of making rounds checking the units, cleaning vacated units, selling customers storage space and additional products and general maintenance of premises.
Pros
work inside and outside and with customers
Cons
too many reports
Freedom
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 7, 2014
Freedom. Not much to do except for 1st and 15 moving days. Great hour 9-6. Work solo.
Pros
freedom work solo
Cons
not much to do except for 1st and 15 moving days
Productive place to work
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, AlJune 10, 2014
This is definitely a productive place to work. Overall I enjoyed my time with this company.
Pros
customer oriented
Cons
small staff
okay work place
Office Administrator/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus,ohioJune 10, 2014
Management makes assistant managers work every weekend
management does a lot of complaining about the company
overall a good company
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 21, 2014
Great team work. Had fun and got the job done., I had an opportunity to know my co-workers on a more personal level and found that we had a lot in common.
Pros
great team work.
Avoid at all cost.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  RIApril 29, 2014
This company blantantly ignores state labor laws and retaliates against any employee who brings it to their attention. Do not let them get away with this. As an employee, know your rights and demand the company be in compliance. Consult your local department of labor, or federal if need be. They will answer questions anonymously and give you information needed to proceed with a complaint if the company refuses to listen. Good luck. Only you can make this company a good place to work for as upper managment doesn't care. In fact, most of them hate their jobs due to severe cut backs in bonus structures and redistribution of responsibilities.
Pros
nothing
Cons
miserable management, lack of support