Underground by Journeys Employee Reviews

Lively Workplace that keeps you busy
Part Time Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSOctober 30, 2014
I loved this job. It might have been my only one but in less than six months I was promoted to Assistant Manager. My hard work and dedication was noticed and paid off. I was one for almost six more months. It is a promote within company. I love the leadership skills this job taught me. It especially trained me on working with the public. Salesmanship is what this job was all about. I'm convinced I can sell just about anything. I had to leave due to relocation and it was very very sad for me. Working with Journeys is like having a second family where it's all about teamwork. That's something I'll never forget.
Pros
breaks whenever you needed them.
Cons
unsatisfiable customers.
Young, positive atmosphere with great ability to advance at a rapid pace.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 1, 2013
My day contains me having fun selling shoes to people. My job is to make sure that you have the best shoe shopping experience ever. I've learned that I am not successful without having great co workers to make the job and the day easy. The hardesst part is if you are not properly training your staff and having backup managers, you could be stuck working open to close all the time. That's no fun. The most enjoyable part is making loyal customers. They consistantly come back as their first stop to the mall just to see what you have in stock. Also as a manager, you get rewards for performing your best.
Fun Urban
Retail Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 28, 2014
Underground by Journeys is a pretty fun, cool,laid back work environment and the employees and management are just as great and very supportive.Working there teaches you sales pitch, stock room responsibilities, and keeps you up with the latest styles. The hardest part of this job though is learning the stock room and memorizing the order of stock numbers and shoe sections. But once you're past that is gets pretty simple. The most enjoyable part of the job is how hilarious and fun everyone is. its something to keep you busy, and that employee discount is great.
Pros
great employee discount
Cons
little to no work hours
Genesco Company Review
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  east blackstock road, spartanburg, sc 29301October 15, 2014
My time working for Underground and Journeys was a good work experience, the coworkers were wonderful the job was easy enough but challenging enough to want to grow in the company. The management however, they did not want to be there and made that very clear. They lived on their own schedule always late, always leaving early and never pulling their own weight. However, the company experience was overall a very nice retail learning experience and I rose up the ladder quickly and was quickly promoted to Assistant Manager.
Pros
experience gained
Cons
management with "bad" work attitude
Fun workplace to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCMay 6, 2013
I love to assist customers and help others put outfits together with the shoes. A typical day at work consists of working with the public, going to get the required shoe(s) the customer asked for and making a sell. I love the management at this job. The managers like to know whats going on with us so they can understand us better. I love my co-workers they are a fun crew to work with. My co-workers and I get along really good. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to help out a customer and I make sure they are satisfied before they leave.
Organized Management with shoes
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lincolnwood, ILJune 16, 2013
A typical day at work was constantly making sure customers were taken care of, answering their questions about prices, promotions, and ordering items. I learned how to work in the stock room, operate a cash register, and techniques on to making sales. My co-workers are self-centered and don't work too well together, and I'm all about teamwork. The hardest part of the job was learning the sale steps but I have it figured out now. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing my customers satisfied with their purchase.
Productive work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MarylandJanuary 5, 2015
A typical day at work consist of greeting customers, stocking shelves and selling merchandise. In learned how to process shipment and send out shipments. I also learned to stock and count the register during closing. The management wasn't all that bad. my manager was very helpful when it was needed. My co-workers were great. we all got along very well. There was no hard part. It was easy to adapt to the environment and I learned very quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fast pace work.
No go.
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 16, 2015
Working as a manager for this company sucks. Benefits are lousy and you will barely be allowed to have a social life. If someone works as a manager here their life will have to be nothing, but this same mundane job with little benefits, one day off a week, and horrible hours during major holidays. The pay is not worth staying. If you don't quit, then the company will make up an excuse to fire you and replace you to avoid giving raises.
Ghetto workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte,, NCDecember 17, 2013
Often the employees would keep drama going in the store. Employees were bad about not working together but instead competing with one another and trying to outdo the next person. The higher management positions also bribed people with discounts and numbers in order to get things purchased for themselves. It was a very unprofessional work environment.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
unprofessional
Its a modern day type company to work for basically you can bring your personality out on the sales floor.
Associate Sales (Current Employee) –  North Miami Beach, FLAugust 1, 2013
My co-workers very awesome people to work with. My manager is very bi-polar, but i still manage to do all my duties for that day without any mistakes. A typical day at work is mostly busy so there is no time to play around we have to sale sale sale sale!
Pros
you can be yourself.
Cons
short breaks, not enough hours given.
Pretty alright place to work
Sales Associate, Internship (Former Employee) –  National City, CAJanuary 15, 2014
I believe that this place is a good place to work but It wasn't really for me. Maybe because as an intern I didn't really get the chance to make an actual sale with my managers. I just greeted the customers, helped them out with what they needed to find in the small store I interned at, and tidy up the place. All in all its a fine place to work.
Calm Work Place
Sales/Stocking/Shipment (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 3, 2013
learned how to send out and receive shipment for the store
Got along very well with my co-workers
Hardest part of the job is holidays and hectic work hours
Most exciting part of the job is meeting new people, and helping find everything they need
Management wasn't very good on hours closer to resigning from the company.
Pros
commission
Cons
short hours
Always upbeat and very efficient
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VASeptember 10, 2015
Fun environment with great management. They trained us to be our best and get out there with the right attitude. We all had a sales goal and we all strived to reach it. No one gets left behind and everyone works to benefit the store. It is an excellent entry level job.
Pros
In store discount and great customer service training
Cons
short breaks
Shoe Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norridge, ILApril 15, 2014
I learned how to talk to customers. I learned how to keep the customers satisfied. I learned how to use the register. I learned how to make online orders also. My co-workers were really nice people to work with. Keeping a good aura in the workplace was the number one priority. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with different kinds of people.
Great place to work and produce great relationships with customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 11, 2014
Worked in a well rounded environment
Enjoyed working in the backroom
Management was very professional and precise
Co-workers were great people to communicate with
I learned that the experience was well worth the opportunity of working there
Great environment as well as amazing coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day would involve me clocking in and checking around the store to make sure everything was in place. Then, I would assist customers with whatever they needed and potentially check them out at the register if they found something they liked.
Bad Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CANovember 12, 2015
This company is big on culture. I love how diverse it is with this company. However, if you are not a store manager you are not included in the company's culture. They need to work on their management as well; they will allow almost anyone to be promoted, maybe because this company is failing.
My big Break
Co-Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 1, 2013
THIS JOB GAVE ME A CHANCE TO STEP UP TO MANAGMENT, IT WAS A HASSLE AT FIRST. BUT I GOT THE HANG OF IT DID GREAT, WELL AT THAT. I WAS ON TOP OF EVERYTHING DOING MY JOB AND MY STORE MANAGERS JOB. THI SJOB ALLOWED ME TO REALIZE I DO HAVE WHAT IT TAKE TO TAKE FULL CHARGE LEADERSHIP!!!
Mediocre Job
Key holder/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 18, 2013
Its a regular job with real lessons. It teaches you punctuality, visual and financial marketing strategies. I learned how to process shipping and handling procedures. I became in charge of staff so in strengthening my leadership qualities.
Productive and fun environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Humble, TxSeptember 10, 2015
I really enjoy working here because of the people I work with. It's a simple job and getting to interact with customers and making sure they're satisfied is very rewarding.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short hours, minimum wage