Underwriters Laboratories

Management - fair
Flexible
Political
Good Company
Field Representative II, NDT Level II, Part-Time (Current Employee), Brea, CAApril 22, 2014
Good Company with excellent benefits and perks. Steady work with room for career development.
Very large office space with many cubicles.
Engineering Aide (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILMarch 24, 2014
Pros: relaxed work environment. very friendly people.
Cons: the pay was not good.
Everyday was an enjoyable day.

I learned about how products and components are tested for consumer safety. I learned about Engineering. This is where I first learned about computers and I also taught myself to type there.

The management was very supportive and promoted learning.

My co-workers were friendly and helpful. I was attending school at the – more... time and they would assist me with my schoolwork if I needed help.

There wasn't anything hard about this job. I thoroughly enjoyed it. – less
acceptable place to work people there very helpful
Engineering Leader and Facilities Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 17, 2014
UL presented to me a workplace which allowed me to be creative and grow in leadership.
N/A
Manager R&D Compliance Regulation UL IEC FDA (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Very conservative company. However, I excelled in their work environment. Enjoyed working with and leading staff.
Enjoyed working with such great people
U.S. Marketing Lead Service Associate (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILDecember 12, 2013
Wonderful place to work for. Enjoyed meeting new faces everyday. Management took care of the employees very well. Enjoyed having very flexible hours with great pay and benefits.
Great company with a valuable mission
Staff Engineer (Former Employee), Plano, TXDecember 9, 2013
Pros: good work-life balance.
Cons: slow decision-making by upper management.
Enjoyed working at UL for 20+ years. The company has evolved significantly in the last 10 years in particular. They have acquired a number of companies that provide niche services, many not related to the traditional safety mission.
Good place to start
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILOctober 22, 2013
Pros: good place to start
Cons: don't stay to long
Good place to start.
Good place to learn from good people.
Good café food.
Good hours for family.
Interesting Company
Senior Engineering Associate (Former Employee), Research Triangle Park, NCOctober 15, 2013
This is one of the most difficult positions I have ever held, due to the complexity of the overall process, the vagueness of the Standards, and the inability of Reviewers to provide consistent responses to reviews and interpretation of the Standards. Every project was a challenge to complete.
Good job security
Project Engineer (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILSeptember 23, 2013
Good place to work if you like job security and want to feel comfortable with both your coworkers and your position as an engineer.
Great Experience
Data Entry (Former Employee), Enfield, CTAugust 20, 2013
I worked here over the summer of 2012 and enjoyed working with the team. There was a diversity of talented professionals along with a friendly environment. Every day involved different paces due to the flow of spreadsheets. This job taught me how to be a team player in the office environment. The job also gave me insights as to how important quality – more... assurance is to the industry. – less
Culture and Values
Manager (Current Employee), Northbrook, ILJuly 19, 2013
Great place to work and be challenged. Biggest challenge is the adversity to change.
Underwriters is a big place
IS Specialist Staff (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILJuly 1, 2013
Pros: many opportunities
Cons: large company outsourced
A large enterprise with lots of opportunities. This is a big team having about 500 IT staff. A lot of interaction between teams so a lot stuff to learn.
Information Technology Divison
Systems Development Manager and Web Content Owner (Former Employee), Melville NYJune 28, 2013
My career was spent in the Information Technology Division of Underwriters Laboratories. My career spanned 27 years and 6 months. Underwriters Laboratories was a great place to work. I was allowed to grow my career and was given opportunities to be involved in cutting edge technology and development. I volunteered and was volunteered for ever increasing – more... opportunities. That was one of the best parts of my position. There was always something new coming on the horizon. It never got stale. One focus of my position was customer service, both internal and external. Making sure that the applications they required for their day to day business was available to them and met their needs. For the last six years of my career at UL I was involved with all aspects of creating and managing ULs first global Customer Facing Portal which had over 100,000 active customers accessing it. The team environment in which I worked was one of the best collaborations of people and insight I've experienced in my career. – less
Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee), Melville, NYMay 2, 2013
Friendly co-worker with interesting and challenging projects if you want them. Growth within the company can be challenging after spending many years in one area.
Productive work place, strong values of consumer protection
Microbiology Lab Associate II (Former Employee), Canton, MAMay 1, 2013
Pros: strong company values
Cons: values strong in theory, weak in practice.
Typical day of work consisted of running USP compendial methods. Strong drive towards teamwork, although enough coworkers decided that teamwork was not for them to have a significant kink in "teamwork". The most enjoyable part about this job was the satisfaction that I was doing work to help protect consumers from faulty products.
Nice people, interesting business, company has lots of challenges right now
Market Research Manager (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILApril 26, 2013
Typical day at an office in any big corporations: use computer, talk on phone, attend meetings, email.
nice place to work but career plan is not necessarily impressive
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Northbrook, ILMarch 19, 2013
Pros: great work/life balance due to the incredible flexibility with working schedule
Cons: leadership is not aggressive enough to push to the limits.
If you are a fresh engineer who just left college and will embark a journey in product safety this is for you.
Project Manager Responsibilities
ITSM Service Owner (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILMarch 15, 2013
A PMP-certified project manager who uses a deliberate, methodical approach to planning projects and managing teams. Possesses a successful track record leading global projects and implementing applications across organizational units and multi-geographical regions. Broad experience implementing custom content management structures and publishing systems. – more... ITIL-certified professional who is responsible for managing more than 80 enterprise applications that support engineering and back-office operations. Possesses strong people management skills with established expertise driving and supporting strategic business goals, as well as enabling customer service, research and development, technical support, and employee development. An articulate communicator with a professional interpersonal negotiation style. – less
Ruined by corporate politics
Senior Alarm System Auditor (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJanuary 6, 2013
Pros: pay, benefits
Cons: incompetent managers, dog eat dog work environment
Terrible workplace. Fostered bad qualities in employees by outrageous system of ranking. Mangers were complete incompetents. Most had no managerial background or training.

About Underwriters Laboratories

Products that pass the muster of this company get the UL symbol of approval. Underwriters Laboratories (UL) is one of the world's – Read more