UNFI Employee Reviews

Selection
Selection (Former Employee) –  Sturtevant, WISeptember 23, 2016
Great place to work if you like hard work that keeps you moving all day. There is an incentive available that you can work towards. There is a break every 2.5- 3 hours of work. The benefits are great and very affordable. They even pay you to volunteer! Management is very hands on and willing to help where needed. I haven't had a job that you pick orders along side your boss. Some days get long but they aren't all the time. I would have stayed but I relocated for my wife's job.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
The occationable system outage.
Still trying to catch up to competitors
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WASeptember 20, 2016
The company operations are still trying to catch up to their competitors (Sysco, Unified, DPI) in regards to operating systems and their overall business plan.
The warehouse culture is driven by a union environment that at times is contentious.
Upper management is a revolving door due to successful managers not sticking with the company due to lack of competitive salaries and incentive plans
This is a results oriented company and if results are not met then changes will be made swiftly
Pros
Good Health Benefits
Cons
No work life balance and subpar wages
It wasn't a bad place to work, not the best either
International Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAAugust 24, 2016
Read emails to ensure that we are on schedule with customer request. Coordinate with customer service to see what special documentation I might need for a particular shipment
Obtain docs
Schedule orders with freight forwarders and vessels.
Going out to the warehouse was the hardest to take photos for claims purpose there could be up to 40 pallets.
Pros
Managing my own time
Cons
associates lived in other cities
busy busy busy
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 31, 2016
none stop work, and what I learned was is to stay busy and the management team are ok, my co workers are very friendly, and the hardest part about the job is trying to bet the unrealistic production time for some of the orders....200+items and they give you 1hr... an the enjoyable part of the job is going home after a long day of work and payday
Pros
payday, getting off
Cons
short breaks, not enough money for how they want you to run around like a chicken with his head cut off
Support and work overload
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, NHAugust 21, 2016
Not enough employees to get the job done for the results asked by Management. Typical day was 10-13 hours due to the overload of work that Supervisor was doing that should of been delegated to Management role. Difficult part was no support from Management and the most enjoyable was the team of 15 that I supervised. Team Players work together.
Pros
benefits, employee coop program, disscounts, employee recognition
Cons
Management support, unfairness on how treated, hourly vs. salary, work overload and not enough employees to get expectations that management asks of the teams
Fast Pace Environment
Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CASeptember 16, 2016
At UNFI I help the associates in all aspects of HR. I handled matters with attendance, leaves of absences, workers compensation, investigations, employee relations, employee recognition, etc. I worked with the managers and associates in the Transportation, Safety, Inventory Control, and Maintenance teams. It was a challenging and fast pace environment, with great opportunity for growth and training.
if you dont brown nose you will be an outkast
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CAAugust 12, 2016
Place sucks the culture and management are unbalanced great facility and equipment but there is no future here pretty much no job security if you have a family and want to take days off pretty much you have to take points they run on a 10 points a year system revolving door turn around rate is very high.pretty much no life first shift is at 3am second 11am Raider Nation!!!!
Pros
co workers
Cons
management, culture, alot of lies
slaveship and slavemasters
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAAugust 6, 2016
This company sucks if you expect longevity, and security!! It's a revolving door at that place. I worked there almost two years and in that period of time I think I seen over 200 people come and go.
They expect you to run around the warehouse like a chicken with your head cut off to meet your monthly quota for 10-12 hours everyday and if u call in on a Sunday you get 2 points, your only allowed 10 all year.
They have been in some type of union process the whole time I was there , trying to keep the union out but in reality they need the union structure. It's a decent starting pay but you walk on egg shells to make it....don't apply !! Or you will never see your family again...lol
Pros
decent pay
Cons
you never know what time youre going home
good place to work and develop
Selector (Current Employee) –  Dayville, CTAugust 17, 2016
I WORKED ON THR SECOND SHIFT WHERE WE START WORK AT 1pm. i go in and first get my machine in place depending on what I'm assigned to do. we don't have a specific time we close. we work till every order is shipped out. on the average, we do like 10 hours daily. since being there I've learnt how to use the jack and forklift. they've programs for individual and community development. management is quite good and there are friendly people there. its quite a tough job especially selecting and the long hours but it pays well. the fun part about it is when you get to travel to other branches in different states to work. overall its a good place to work.
Pros
good healthcare plan, lots of overtime, good remuneration
Cons
energy demanding, not enough time for personal life
Excellent forward thinking company. Great employee environment!
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 28, 2016
UNFI is a Green/ Forward thinking company that provides the largest distribution of natural and organic foods for Whole Foods. I drove a tractor/ Trailer from the warehouse to specific stores in the area/ region daily. Off loaded the pallets using and electric pallet jack onto the dock, then placed them in their respective locations. Long hours but great pay and great company. I enjoy being responsible for all the state of the art equipment and trusted as well!

Want to know more about UNFI?

Ask a question
Natural foods needs help
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 5, 2016
The general consensus from employees is overworked and underpaid. It could be a great place to work if they hired more help, but they have high expectations and too much stress on their employees from overbearing work loads. Most people can't handle the stress and end up leaving the company once they find another job. Company displays interest in helping the planet and local communities, yet employees fear they'll get too far behind in workload after participating in philanthropic events. They have the potential to be a great company, but while i've been there it;s only gotten worse. Even holiday bonuses and company events have been withdrawn.
Pros
good benefits, eco-friendly, discounts on products
Cons
stress, unsupportive management, broken promises
Literally the worst warehouse job please stay away
Selector (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, NYSeptember 8, 2016
Management is terrible . No one cares in that place at all . If you do work here do not be a selector horrible conditions . Your incentive is capped and the cooler quota is impossible . You get 53 minutes to select 450 cases . They hire just about anyone they don't care about the employee . The pay suck for what you do .
Pros
Maybe benefits
Cons
Everything !! PAY and favoritism
Not a career, nor an adventure.
Selector/Picker (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INJuly 20, 2016
Very long hours, constant threat of job security. Mgtmnt. is nonexistent. At the end of the day, all that is important, is if you hit rate. This is not a family friendly job. You are treated like a robot, with no concerns of health. 15/17 hr. days is the norm not the exception. The employees are and should be any business's prime concern, but at the end of the day, all that counts, is if you hit rate all night. If your looking to make some money, your single, and you don't mind being talked down to, this is the job for you. Doesn't matter how good a worker you are, in time, they will figure out a way to terminate you. Supervisor's for the most part, try to help, as they to are going thru just about the same thing. But can only do so much.
Pros
They eventually let you go home.
Cons
Micro management, looooong hrs.
Great environment, but poor management
Reach Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CAJune 10, 2016
I liked working for U.N.F.I but they have a lot of improvement to do.a typical day at work consisted of putting pallets away and replenishing pick slots. I learned to receive and how to work in timely manner. Management needs to get off their high horse and join the action too, Co- Workers need a break and the most enjoyable part was going home.
Pros
Good culture
Cons
A.P.T system failure to the point of Write ups.
Used to be fun to work there.
Customer Account Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 2, 2016
A typical day includes taking incoming calls from customers, usually to place orders, verifying that customers have their orders in before the truck is "closed," sending order confirmations, etc.

I learned a lot about the food service industry and the food distribution business.

Management seems more intent on trying to convince the employees there are no problems than on fixing them.

The co-workers are great. They are a diverse bunch, but we all get along (too well according to management), and support each other however we can. The turnover is EXCEPTIONALLY HIGH.

The hardest part of the job is trying to do twelve hours of work in an eight-hour shift.
Pros
Product samples and training
Cons
It's like working in a sweat shop
Horrible company
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 21, 2016
I Worked for Earth Origins who is owned by UNFI. I worked in their Sarasota store and what a mess this place was. It should be condemned for infestation,and the employees and managers all need to enter a rehab program,since I would see managers hungover and employees calling in sick daily! Working in grocery I could see a bit of all departments. The deli was very gross and the supplement woman was in oblivious to it all. I blame it on UNFI for letting this store go down the tubes. Do yourself a favor and RUN...................
benefits
Cons
too many to mention
Fast paced natural and organic food distribution
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Ridgefield, WAJuly 7, 2016
You either work 1st shift (2am-4am start time) for receiving, or 2nd shift (usually starts around 11:30am) for pickers.
Benefits are pretty good. Lots of physical work for those in the warehouse.
Pros
A majority of employees are friendly, positive, and easy going.
Cons
It's hard to move up, work can get monotonous.
Watch out
Driver (Former Employee) –  Prescott, WIJuly 13, 2016
Worked for a couple years for this company. Management tells you that they will fix issues and that they care for your valuable feedback. Then they turn around and make fun of you behind your back. Not very professional. Management will not change anything unless it benefits them. Pay is great but the stress is overwhelming.
Pros
Pay
Crazy Environment/Old Systems
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 12, 2016
1 Month of craziness. There isn't a training program and the main system is 30 years old. Constant computer issues and even though it has the feel of a call center environment its not. The main function are their transportation routes but scream to get calls when they back up on hold. (madness)

Clearly these two functions should be separate but that's the role of customer care.

Not worth what they pay and the position should be advertised as a order processor not customer care. ( What a hot mess)
Pros
Co Workers are awesome for what its worth
Buyer
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, NHMay 17, 2016
Pay and Benefits are good. Management and Processes are terrible!!! I have several years of experience in the Industry with some of the largest companies in this business and this company is horrendous! No training, No Support, A Director that has no business sitting in her office. Treat Buyers like garbage, and show no appreciation for the long hours and hard work employees put in
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Everything else

2.9