UNFI Employee Reviews in United States

Decent company to work for
Accounts Payable/Check Processing (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAFebruary 10, 2016
This company has many benefits and very positive people through out the company.

They do not have a good/health life to work balance even though they pride themselves on it. From the time i worked with the company there where many issues with in the team I worked with.
My management was great but the team environment is very much like being in high school. They are very much so stuck in their ways of handling things and do not know how to move forward with technology and new programs, or just different opinions for that matter.

I enjoyed my time with them for the most part but I think they try to make the company more of a family rather than a well oiled machine to progress.

I was also informed by other employees that raises rarely occur and they are not that great.
Pros
Very laid back atmosphere and dress code
Cons
short breaks, very hectic and under staffed for work load
2 years with UNFI
Inventory Planning and Replenishment (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 24, 2016
After 2 and half years with UNFI, I've had 3 VPs, and 2 Directors Unfortunately the company is promoting people who have no previous skills with people management and some of the managers do not come with any type of business professionalism or etiquette.

Fortunately we have some decent leadership above our Director levels which sometimes makes up for the shortcomings of what we endure at the director level

The company culture and people are wonderful, fair wages, good benefits, and a safe working environment.

In the pressure cooker positions there is no life balance in inventory, supply chain, and sales. You give give give and its really never enough or good enough

Its really too bad because every other department seems to be enjoying themselves just fine. It's really bothersome to get a yearly salary base don 40-45 hours a week but really have to work 50-60 just to get to everything everyone wants.
Pros
Great People who care
Cons
Overworked and no appreciation.
Keeps Getting Worse
Selector (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, NYApril 6, 2016
New Rules Every Single Day. They Never Tell You When Your Doing A Good Job, Only Pointing Out The Wrongs. Management Does Not Care About Employees Especially Its Hardest Workers. Workload is So overwhelming that people just walk out. You won't see your family with this schedule. Management also talks to workers like they are above them outside of work. Other than that the people you work with is the best thing about this job
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Poor Management, long hours, new rules, no appreciation
Great company had the feeling of working for a family organization.
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Texas and Rocky Mountain RegionsFebruary 11, 2016
United Natural Food Incorporated is #1 in the retail assortment of natural and organic products.You will need the right products to grow or stay ahead. With over 80,000 of them, from established favorites to the latest trends, the possibilities are endless with UNFI. An ever-expanding selection of 1,000 new products every month from national brands to local entrepreneurs. Everything for your store, kitchen or website inside the natural and organc space you can find within UNFI.

UNFI is a GREAT company to work for...
Pros
Everything benefits, salary, work/life balance.
Cons
None to speak of.
Not a Job for carreer .
Order selector (Current Employee) –  Sturtevant, WIJanuary 9, 2016
When you start like most jobs , you will like it . They start off telling you about all this opportunites of advancemenf and etc when you get in .. its a whole different story .
They make you work long hours . And the worst part is that its not just one day a week its almost everyday . Knowing they need to hire more people they still expect 20 pickers to pick 95 thousand cases in a day .. 15 hour day , for the next day to come and complain because to many people call out ! .
Meanwhile they still want you to pick at least at 90 percent rate which they fixed to be harder to do . And your inccentive starts after 100 percent .. starting only a quarter . You dont get sick time or vacation you only get paid time and if you miss a day they give you points and take your hours permenentley . Yet management and everyone else they get to leave after 8 hrs of work !
Cons
No vacation, or Sick time . Take your paid time automatically, poor management and rate system, no chance to groa
Good to work, pay is lacking
Customer Care Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 10, 2016
Good jobs with great benefits, management is somewhat clickish. Best part of the job is customers and advancement within.
Use you up and spit you out
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  York, PAMarch 26, 2016
Corporate nit picking at its finest! They are so hung up on the minutia they only care about getting the sale stuffing the truck and whining when you can't get finished within the 14 hour DOT limit. If I wanted to hand truck every item into a store I'd go work for SYSCO or US Foods and get overtime. Yeah no overtime straight time. Equipment, liftgate trailers and pallet jack is poorly maintained and always breaks down. Customers are fed up with getting wrong items on a weekly basis but are stuck with no other vendor for items they need. Money is good benefits are good but everyone in the office is a chief and there's no Indians. Not worth the headache better off somewhere else
Benefits
Cons
Everyone in supervision 2nd guessing everything you do
Productive Place to Work
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 28, 2016
This job is the perfect job for someone that can pull up to 75 hours a week, doing the same fast paced mind numbing job each and every day. The pay was good and the benefits were great, but management was severely lacking and productivity was always down to lack of hiring, and not managing a good work flow.
Pros
Money, Benefits
Cons
Overtime, Management
Hours are great
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  York, PAFebruary 7, 2016
Only work four days a week but you are under constant pressure and scrutiny. The benefits are amazing and affordable. There's also a danger factor. Every where you look heavy machinery is speeding around. People have been injured.
Pros
great hours, decent pay
Cons
long days, no job security, harsh enviroment
Not a career, nor an adventure.
Selector/Picker (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INJuly 20, 2016
Very long hours, constant threat of job security. Mgtmnt. is nonexistent. At the end of the day, all that is important, is if you hit rate. This is not a family friendly job. You are treated like a robot, with no concerns of health. 15/17 hr. days is the norm not the exception. The employees are and should be any business's prime concern, but at the end of the day, all that counts, is if you hit rate all night. If your looking to make some money, your single, and you don't mind being talked down to, this is the job for you. Doesn't matter how good a worker you are, in time, they will figure out a way to terminate you. Supervisor's for the most part, try to help, as they to are going thru just about the same thing. But can only do so much.
Pros
They eventually let you go home.
Cons
Micro management, looooong hrs.
Natural foods needs help
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 5, 2016
The general consensus from employees is overworked and underpaid. It could be a great place to work if they hired more help, but they have high expectations and too much stress on their employees from overbearing work loads. Most people can't handle the stress and end up leaving the company once they find another job. Company displays interest in helping the planet and local communities, yet employees fear they'll get too far behind in workload after participating in philanthropic events. They have the potential to be a great company, but while i've been there it;s only gotten worse. Even holiday bonuses and company events have been withdrawn.
Pros
good benefits, eco-friendly, discounts on products
Cons
stress, unsupportive management, broken promises
good place to work and develop
Selector (Current Employee) –  Dayville, CTAugust 17, 2016
I WORKED ON THR SECOND SHIFT WHERE WE START WORK AT 1pm. i go in and first get my machine in place depending on what I'm assigned to do. we don't have a specific time we close. we work till every order is shipped out. on the average, we do like 10 hours daily. since being there I've learnt how to use the jack and forklift. they've programs for individual and community development. management is quite good and there are friendly people there. its quite a tough job especially selecting and the long hours but it pays well. the fun part about it is when you get to travel to other branches in different states to work. overall its a good place to work.
Pros
good healthcare plan, lots of overtime, good remuneration
Cons
energy demanding, not enough time for personal life
Good Place to Work
Field Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 5, 2015
I enjoyed working at UNFI and found most of the people to be helpful and honest. Supportive management and good benefits. A lot of red tape each year and seemed to be increasing in getting health insurance. Need to be more supportive of the sales staff as they are your bread and butter.
Pros
Work Life balance, compensation once you are there awhile
Cons
Benefits could be better, lack of sales support and training.
slaveship and slavemasters
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAAugust 6, 2016
This company sucks if you expect longevity, and security!! It's a revolving door at that place. I worked there almost two years and in that period of time I think I seen over 200 people come and go.
They expect you to run around the warehouse like a chicken with your head cut off to meet your monthly quota for 10-12 hours everyday and if u call in on a Sunday you get 2 points, your only allowed 10 all year.
They have been in some type of union process the whole time I was there , trying to keep the union out but in reality they need the union structure. It's a decent starting pay but you walk on egg shells to make it....don't apply !! Or you will never see your family again...lol
Pros
decent pay
Cons
you never know what time youre going home
very nice break room
Grocery Selector (Former Employee) –  York, PAFebruary 9, 2016
I loved working here I think everything about this establishment just screams great production and i would advise anyone and everyone to apply.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
really long hours
good place to work great pay
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMarch 12, 2016
Good hrs great pay, room for advancement its a little bit of work though not just driving, you have to unload and that is a challenge a lot of the time because they batch pick, and it makes the drivers life very difficult some times all the burden is put on the driver.
Pros
Good benafits great pay good home time
Cons
Unoin drivers get screwed when it comes to unloading trl, cause its a mess and its your fault constatly defending your self.
Best place to work
Selector/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 12, 2016
I worked for Albert's Organics which is owned and operated by UNFI and I can say in all honesty that this is a top notch organization and the best job I've ever had. Excellent benefits and pay, tuition reimbursement, 401k, but you have to be a hard worker, slouches need not apply. I was let go when they bought the company I was originally hired by, Global Organics. My background check didn't measure up because I'd been arrested more than once. I was never late and never missed a day and was a top selector. That's the only negative I have to say about the company is that they couldn't see that I worked hard to redeem myself and overcome my past. I felt like I was just a number to them. Make no mistake though, I will do everything I can to get my job back and prove them wrong. It's not the management or HR that fired me, it was a board that voted me out. Another negative, very corporate, not the family type atmosphere most people enjoy.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Corporate mentality, expendable feeling
Used to be fun to work there.
Customer Account Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 2, 2016
A typical day includes taking incoming calls from customers, usually to place orders, verifying that customers have their orders in before the truck is "closed," sending order confirmations, etc.

I learned a lot about the food service industry and the food distribution business.

Management seems more intent on trying to convince the employees there are no problems than on fixing them.

The co-workers are great. They are a diverse bunch, but we all get along (too well according to management), and support each other however we can. The turnover is EXCEPTIONALLY HIGH.

The hardest part of the job is trying to do twelve hours of work in an eight-hour shift.
Pros
Product samples and training
Cons
It's like working in a sweat shop
Good beneifts but poor team work and communication
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, TXJanuary 27, 2016
See above. Not much fun to work there. Very long hours and no support from upper management. Always shooting from the hip. No plan or structure of doing things.
Support and work overload
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, NHAugust 21, 2016
Not enough employees to get the job done for the results asked by Management. Typical day was 10-13 hours due to the overload of work that Supervisor was doing that should of been delegated to Management role. Difficult part was no support from Management and the most enjoyable was the team of 15 that I supervised. Team Players work together.
Pros
benefits, employee coop program, disscounts, employee recognition
Cons
Management support, unfairness on how treated, hourly vs. salary, work overload and not enough employees to get expectations that management asks of the teams

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNFI. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9