UNICEF

UNICEF Employer Reviews

Productive, guidance and support porvided as work progresses
Local Consultant/Coordinator, (Former Employee), Roseau, DominicaJune 19, 2014
Pros: lunch and snacks are provided while working on projects
Work begins with review of previous day, and the planned activities. Guidance provided enables proper management for the effective execution of the planned activites. Evaluation of the day's work is done, certain activities are revisited and adjustments made as necessary.The hardest part of the day is the reporting phase. The most enjoyable part of – more... the job is working closely with co-workers and seeing everything fall in place. Co-workers are fun to wok with. – less
Nice and quite place to work.
Finance/Accounts Assistant (Former Employee), DamascusJune 19, 2014
As core staff we were equipped with all means of communications and facilities. Work was so organized and well distributed.
Enthusiastic and committed staff to make a difference in the world
Health and Emergencies Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 22, 2014
A typical day at work will start with updates on the current crisis around the world, followed by a couple of calls with country teams to support the developing preparedness and response plans to address main needs of those affected by the crisis (conflict, natural disaster....) The best part of the job is the teams I have worked with, so knowledgeable, – more... lots of experience and enormous human quality. International travel is involved which is fundamental to be updated with the reality on the field in order to develop coherent policies and strategies to improve effectiveness of the work. – less
Fun and humanitarian work
Volunteer (Former Employee), AmmanDecember 16, 2013
I start working in this place in early age when i was in primary school.
first i joined Jordan river organization under the UNICEF as a part of a program to learn more things about society and to understand it. After that i became a member to help other kids and attended meetings that provided me with leadership skills and give a high sense of humanity. – more... We were studying the society problems and try to solve them with higher positions people in the government. The management was very organized and all people in the management were very determined. My co-workers were other children and adults. The most changeling part was to convince others with our ideas and new perspective. The most enjoyable part was that we meet many people from many areas in the country and discus our work together. – less
N/A
Learning/Training Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 9, 2013
Good work life balance, great benefits if hired as a staff member. Career advancement can be challenging in HQ but more likely to occur if willing to take field office assignments.
VISITING STREET CHILDREN 18TH FEBRUARY 2011
UNICEF JOB (Current Employee), TANZANIAOctober 30, 2013
Pros: we had lunch
Cons: yes
At 18th ,February we went in one of the village in Singida-Tanzania,it was very difficult to reach every one since we were so few and those we targeted to meet were so many.

I learned that, if there is big cooperation with enough number of co-worker many needs we be saved.

Although we were few,we had a good management since we divided each other on – more... how to reach and provide service.

The hardest part of the job was when faced difficult to reach each one
Although we faced all those challenges ,but we were enjoyed much at the time to determine our success on jobs. – less
productive internship
Employee (Current Employee), YaoundéSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: free lunch at times
Cons: short breaks
The office opens at 8:00 am and close at 3:00 am in which the lunch is from 12:00 to 12:30 and it is not compulsary because at times we had a lot to do. I learned so much about the office job, how to direct people,to accomplish duties that are assigned to you by your director .my co_workers were very professional and kind to me.
The hardest part of – more... the job is when somebody comes to give his or her sister or brother file, he always do the wrong thing and at times missunderstand you. The most enjoyable part is when they understand the procedure,are happy,you are and so is ev – less
Its a great organisation and I have enjoyed 10yrs of full time employment. It has provided me with alot of opportunity both development & humanitarian
Child Protection officer (Current Employee), FIJI -SUVASeptember 16, 2013
The day begins with review of my days plan looking at the days priorities. After that I check the emails identify urgent ones which call for immediate attention.
Check my diary for the days scheduled meetings and then allocate time.

Through UNICEF I have learnt time management, life work balance and working as a team in a very diverse cultural environment.

The – more... hardest part is meeting the very tight deadlines and balancing interests of the organisation, Government of host country and sometimes the donor and most importantly meeting results for children and families which is the UNICEF's mandate.

In UNICEF i have enjoyed the diverse cultural experience meeting new people and new experienceat work place. – less
Hard Work
Accounting Reporting Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: honorable mandate
Cons: no job security
Hard Work
Multicultural environment
Lack of technical expertise field locations
>700 offices in 150+ countries
Great Place to Work
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 11, 2013
Great working environment and benefits, but not much support in the area of career development and advancement.
My fraternity would host fundraisers events throughout the semester and funds would go to UNICEF
Treasurer (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 22, 2013
Had great communication skills with my fraternity brothers and learned how to develop budgets. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with reliable people.
The most fulfilled experiences!
Project Coordinator and Project Translator (Former Employee), Delta Amacuro - VenezuelaAugust 14, 2013
• Assist the education section in collecting and analyzing data on out of school children and other key indicators in order to make a regional analysis of education and prioritization for the regional vision and strategies.

Competences: Working with people, relating and networking, applying technical expertise, analyzing, learning and researching, – more... drive for results

• Work with other sections, units and programs (CSD, HIV/AIDS, Protection, Communication, Emergency and M&E) to promote and integrated approach to ECD and Education, seizing opportunities for harmonization of strategies and relevant activities through joint work planning, monitoring and reporting. Produce draft reports on inter-sectoral collaboration on ECD and Education as part of the general reporting. Provide technical support to Emergency related issues in education.

Competencies: Working with People, Relating and Networking, Applying technical expertise, analyzing, learning and researching, creating and innovating, formulating strategies and concepts., embracing diversity – less
Busy
Web/System Developer Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 7, 2013
Pros: you can learn different languages
Cons: difficult to get a staff position
Very busy office with a lot of nice people. The hardest part of the job is knowing that you are a consultant and you can't get fired after your contract is finish.
Multi cultured workplace with Dev,Test and Staging - OnSite & Offshore
Senior BI Lead Developer (Former Employee), New York,NYAugust 7, 2013
Accomplished Data Warehouse Architecture, Data Modeler ,Designer and Developer.

Performed overall project management, analysis, architecture, design, development and implementation of data warehousing / business intelligence initiatives for the last six years.

Worked on data warehousing projects from inception to implementation and delivered high – more... quality solutions in a timely manner meeting and exceeding the business requirements.

Responsible for defining the information architecture and technology infrastructure along with the design of multi dimensional data models and the business Intelligence delivery solutions.

Managed the evaluation of ETL and OLAP tools and recommended the most suitable solutions depending on business needs.

Skilled in implementing Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence solutions. – less
Very helping, caring and respectful staff. loved working with UNICEF
HR/Payroll Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 31, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
while working with UNICEF as a HR/Payroll assistant, My day used to statrt at 9:00 am. with greeting all my colleagues at the floor. Next I woluld check my phone messages, check my emails, and my things to do ASAP list. receive mails from the mail room, distribute the mail to related officers.

Print all the entitlement applications such as rental saubsidy – more... , salary advance, rental advance, education grants (for employees working in the field offices located in 140 countries) received from the operations officers world wide on daily basis.

Review all the applications and attached supported documents carefully before processing. communicate with related operations officer regarding the incorrect/ incomplete applications, provide necessery information for the corrections. re-review corrected applications upon receipt.

create records in the system in order to process the applications. lock the created records for an approval.

After processing all the applications, draft an approval letters to get it Authorised/signed by the Payroll Officers. Scan and print the signed copy for the record keeping. send an approval back to the operations officers once the fund is authorised and realesed.

Answer the queries received from employes related to their entitlements. Resolve the complex query involving reserch and manual calculations.

This position has given me a number of valuable experiences and knowledge to include proficiency in all administrative tasks, as well as overseeing office operations. This range of duties includes, but is not limited to: Processing entitlements, grants and subsidies for staff members, computer communications, review and research to resolve queries from staff members, filing and record keeping, data entry.

I’m fortunate to have a pretty positive working relationship with my supervisors. They gave me a high degree of latitude to get on with my job while always being there to help me with any unusual or difficult situations – to lend me the benefit of their experiance.

I had an excellent professional relationship with my co workers, which gelled quite nicely with the company environment. People assisted one another. “I made some good friends for life, who today can vouch for me on a professional basis.“ I miss them all.

The hardest part was to process an off cycle payroll due to last minut changes in the personal actions of the staff member, which could result in the delayed salary payment.

Almost every month end, When the system was locked for the data entry due to payroll processing, in my spare time I had an opportuniety to learn new things and explore and discuss new areas of the work with my colleuges. – less
Good working environment with supportive manages and required facilities for our capacity development and entertainment/sport etc
WASH Officer (Former Employee), Mazār-e Sharīf, BALJuly 10, 2013
Pros: availability of a gim
Cons: work with government staff with low capacity and without commitment
- To be always advanced and prepared at work.
- There was good management and work environment from which I learned how to manage the programme with very few and limited staff in a very wide and big project/programme targeted areas.
- There were always very few but very cooperative co workers.
- The hardest part of the work was working with incapable – more... and non committed government staff especially in emergencies during which we had to continue the developmental work and also manage the emergencies all with limited staff in the very insecure areas.
- The most enjoyable part of the work was working in a team especialy while getting the result of the team work. – less
productive
IT/Telecom Assist II (Former Employee), DohukJune 12, 2013
Productive day.
learned lots of lessons and skills.
Management very active.
team & family spirit co-workers.
the most enjoyable part management care for you and your Family.
challenging job, professional environment
Post-2015 Development Team Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 28, 2013
Pros: sport facilities
Cons: short breaks
It is a good place for career development. It is hard to get hired by this organization if you are intern as the jobs created are already meant for particular consultant or employer and posting the vacancy is just a procedure.
Productive Place to work
Consultant, Partnerships and Advocacy Department (Former Employee), NairobiMay 15, 2013
Pros: free lunches
My day started at 7am, I would report to the canteen for breakfast! Then by 8am am in the office. I would then go through emails. Then I would meet with my supervisor to prepare for the day.
Marvelous, dedicated culture
Asst. Web Editor (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 14, 2013
Pros: passionate environment. good life/work balance.
Cons: very opaque and difficult job advancement path; little job security for consultants.
UNICEF was a thrilling place to work, filled with passionate dedicated, intelligent colleagues from all over the world, each working to ensure the education, health, rights, and protection of the world's children.

1 2 3 4 5

About UNICEF

UNICEF began working to help children around the world when it was created by the United Nations in 1946. The organization strives – Read more