UNICEF Employee Reviews

Very helping, caring and respectful staff. loved working with UNICEF
HR/Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2013
while working with UNICEF as a HR/Payroll assistant, My day used to statrt at 9:00 am. with greeting all my colleagues at the floor. Next I woluld check my phone messages, check my emails, and my things to do ASAP list. receive mails from the mail room, distribute the mail to related officers.

Print all the entitlement applications such as rental saubsidy , salary advance, rental advance, education grants (for employees working in the field offices located in 140 countries) received from the operations officers world wide on daily basis.

Review all the applications and attached supported documents carefully before processing. communicate with related operations officer regarding the incorrect/ incomplete applications, provide necessery information for the corrections. re-review corrected applications upon receipt.

create records in the system in order to process the applications. lock the created records for an approval.

After processing all the applications, draft an approval letters to get it Authorised/signed by the Payroll Officers. Scan and print the signed copy for the record keeping. send an approval back to the operations officers once the fund is authorised and realesed.

Answer the queries received from employes related to their entitlements. Resolve the complex query involving reserch and manual calculations.

This position has given me a number of valuable experiences and knowledge to include proficiency in all administrative tasks, as well as overseeing office operations. This range of duties includes, but is not limited to: Processing entitlements, grants and
  more... subsidies for staff members, computer communications, review and research to resolve queries from staff members, filing and record keeping, data entry.

I’m fortunate to have a pretty positive working relationship with my supervisors. They gave me a high degree of latitude to get on with my job while always being there to help me with any unusual or difficult situations – to lend me the benefit of their experiance.

I had an excellent professional relationship with my co workers, which gelled quite nicely with the company environment. People assisted one another. “I made some good friends for life, who today can vouch for me on a professional basis.“ I miss them all.

The hardest part was to process an off cycle payroll due to last minut changes in the personal actions of the staff member, which could result in the delayed salary payment.

Almost every month end, When the system was locked for the data entry due to payroll processing, in my spare time I had an opportuniety to learn new things and explore and discuss new areas of the work with my colleuges.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Well in place and a good avenue for learning and development as far as career path is concern
Water Sanitation and Hygiene Officer (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesJuly 2, 2015
It was a great opportune for career advancement-technically improve areas of expertise with the support and mentor of specialist who has global experiences from various context background.

The well-in place system of organization facilitated very good working environment, workplace and transaction with up to date management.

UN security system on movement restriction at somehow make work difficult especially when there is a need to closely monitor the progress of the field work and situation. On the other hand it is part of system being operated in a hostile areas which a need to ensure safety of all staff.

Overall, the diverse culture and different programme approaches,management makes a very good learning venue and interesting part of being there.
Pros
Comprehensive social protection packages.healthcare, etc
Cons
Hectic and pressure nature of work in most of the time.
The most fulfilled experiences!
Project Coordinator and Project Translator (Former Employee) –  Delta Amacuro - VenezuelaAugust 14, 2013
• Assist the education section in collecting and analyzing data on out of school children and other key indicators in order to make a regional analysis of education and prioritization for the regional vision and strategies.

Competences: Working with people, relating and networking, applying technical expertise, analyzing, learning and researching, drive for results

• Work with other sections, units and programs (CSD, HIV/AIDS, Protection, Communication, Emergency and M&E) to promote and integrated approach to ECD and Education, seizing opportunities for harmonization of strategies and relevant activities through joint work planning, monitoring and reporting. Produce draft reports on inter-sectoral collaboration on ECD and Education as part of the general reporting. Provide technical support to Emergency related issues in education.

Competencies: Working with People, Relating and Networking, Applying technical expertise, analyzing, learning and researching, creating and innovating, formulating strategies and concepts., embracing diversity
Enthusiastic and committed staff to make a difference in the world
Health and Emergencies Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2014
A typical day at work will start with updates on the current crisis around the world, followed by a couple of calls with country teams to support the developing preparedness and response plans to address main needs of those affected by the crisis (conflict, natural disaster....) The best part of the job is the teams I have worked with, so knowledgeable, lots of experience and enormous human quality. International travel is involved which is fundamental to be updated with the reality on the field in order to develop coherent policies and strategies to improve effectiveness of the work.
Multi cultured workplace with Dev,Test and Staging - OnSite & Offshore
Senior BI Lead Developer (Former Employee) –  New York,NYAugust 7, 2013
Accomplished Data Warehouse Architecture, Data Modeler ,Designer and Developer.

Performed overall project management, analysis, architecture, design, development and implementation of data warehousing / business intelligence initiatives for the last six years.

Worked on data warehousing projects from inception to implementation and delivered high quality solutions in a timely manner meeting and exceeding the business requirements.

Responsible for defining the information architecture and technology infrastructure along with the design of multi dimensional data models and the business Intelligence delivery solutions.

Managed the evaluation of ETL and OLAP tools and recommended the most suitable solutions depending on business needs.

Skilled in implementing Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence solutions.
planning and orgnizing skills
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  NYSeptember 26, 2014
Fallow up day to day with the international prices, direct contact with our office in Dubai,
UAE.
 Develops a business plan and sales& procurement strategy for the market
 Responsible for the performance and development of the Sales Employee.
 Initiates and coordinates development of action plans to penetrate new markets.
 Assists in the development and implementation of marketing plans as needed.
 Provides timely feedback to senior management regarding performance.
 Maintains accurate records of all pricings, sales, and activity reports submitted by Account
Executives
 Recruits, tests, and hires Sales Employees based on criteria agreed upon by senior
Productive place to work and great people to work around
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 10, 2012
On a typical day for me I come into the office around 9:30 am and start to check all the emails I received from the day before after I left the office from the day before . I also make phone calls to different consulates to find out information about on-going visa processing we may have going on with the consulate. The hardest part of my job will have to be the amount of rush Visa's that we have to take care of on last minute notice.
Pros
great enivorment
Cons
bad coworkers
Productive and great place for meeting different people
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ramallah, PalestineMay 16, 2012
Preparing materials for workshops which included typing, faxing and translating. Then before the workshops arranging for the hotel accomodations for participants from other cities and arranging the transportations. I learned from this job how to handle certain situations from dealing with different personalities without creating a conflict.
Pros
the boss was approachable in a professional way.
Marvelous, dedicated culture
Asst. Web Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2013
UNICEF was a thrilling place to work, filled with passionate dedicated, intelligent colleagues from all over the world, each working to ensure the education, health, rights, and protection of the world's children.
Pros
passionate environment. good life/work balance.
Cons
very opaque and difficult job advancement path; little job security for consultants.
Wonderfull work place with multiple coss-culture, harsh conditions and wild local people.
Senior Field Logistician (Former Employee) –  Southern Sudan.February 24, 2012
A UN Agency for Children. Child Protection, education and orphanage. Works all over the world with aim of Protecting the children.
Pros
free accommodation, meals, travels etc.
Cons
comprehensive medical cover, air tickets, social welfare etc.
challenging job, professional environment
Post-2015 Development Team Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2013
It is a good place for career development. It is hard to get hired by this organization if you are intern as the jobs created are already meant for particular consultant or employer and posting the vacancy is just a procedure.
Pros
sport facilities
Cons
short breaks
Professional work enviroment with staff welbeing considerations
Project officer- health (Former Employee) –  UNICEF, SUDANMay 27, 2015
UNICEF is a very professional work environment, with clear targets and facilities to accomplish those targets, the staff well being also considered through staff association body that managed by the staff themselves and the management always listen to them.
Pros
stafflife balance policies
Cons
stress and deadlines
Volenteer
Active volunteer (Current Employee) –  work from homeOctober 1, 2015
Helping people for different aspects.Solving strategic business problems by designing computer-based information systems were exciting and rewarding.In the workplace, it is imperative that technology works both effectively and reliably. Computer and information systems people play a vital role in the implementation of technology within their organizations.
Very good and reliable company to work for.
SAP ABAP Consultant / Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 31, 2012
Very good people relations and work ethic.

Nice straight forward management, that also provided much space for own creativity and adoption of new technologies. Pretty heavy workload along with high responsibility for support of core processes.
Busy
Web/System Developer Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2013
Very busy office with a lot of nice people. The hardest part of the job is knowing that you are a consultant and you can't get fired after your contract is finish.
Pros
you can learn different languages
Cons
difficult to get a staff position
Productive and exchange of ideas encouraged
Financial Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2013
Great place to work.
Very Competitive work environment
Excellent team work environment
Availability of a doctor in the premises in case one gets sick on the job.
Pros
team lunches encouraged
Cons
not enough time provided to get the job done.
Great Internationally Recognized Brand
Programme Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2015
You work to improve the experience for all children all over the world for a company with significant influence. At the end of the day, that's extremely gratifying.
Pros
supportive leadership
Cons
dining facilities are sub-standard
My fraternity would host fundraisers events throughout the semester and funds would go to UNICEF
Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 22, 2013
Had great communication skills with my fraternity brothers and learned how to develop budgets. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with reliable people.
Believe in the welfare and safety of children all over the world.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2012
I enjoyed being a part of an organization that put the welfare of children all over the world who could not speak or help themselves. I believe every child should be safe.
N/A
Learning/Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2013
Good work life balance, great benefits if hired as a staff member. Career advancement can be challenging in HQ but more likely to occur if willing to take field office assignments.

4.3