Unidine Employee Reviews

Don't do it!
Corporate Office Stud (Boston) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 2, 2014
Where do I begin?

Job Work/Life Balance:
There is no such a thing with Unidine. They expect you to be at work every day, 365. If you have children who are sick or if you get sick yourself, don't call out. Or your micromanaging boss will be all over you the following day. NO VACATION! Yes, I said it, NO VACATION. They have such a high turnover problem, that they changed the policy so that new employees will not be eligible for vacation until 1 calendar year from the start date! That is unheard of!

Compensation/Benefits:
Benefits are poor, they offer their employees the cheapest packages available. Compensation is a joke. Overworked and underpaid is the theme at Unidine. Unless you are a vice president, then you should be expecting a 2 percent increase, yearly, if your lucky. And two percent is not always guaranteed.

Job Security/Advancement:
Unidine's turnover rate is about 40 percent! 40 percent of all new employees will quit within the first 6 months. It is a revolving door. One week your meeting a new manager/director, then the next your meeting someone replacing the person you just met. There is no advancement. Unless you r best friends with Richard, the CEO, you are not climbing the ladder.

Management:
Where do I begin. Management walk around as if they are better than everyone. The corporate office is so fake, everyone hates their job because they are overworked, underpaid, and gets bitched out by Richard, the CEO, but the employees walk around with the fakest smiles on their faces.

Job Culture:
get ready for your DAILY LINE UP! Every morning, the biggest waste of
  more... time I have ever herd of. All of the employes have to sit through this fake 4 minute pep rally and everyone who is presenting hates doing it. They preach fresh foods, but everything theres comes out of a can!

Overall, if you want to work in food service, stick with the big guns, Aramark and Sodexo. At least you will get paid more and have better growth opportunities.
Pros
50% off of meals (yay!)
Cons
everyone there micromanages
Just a terrible work experience
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 8, 2016
I've been with Unidine for over a year and i have been worked to the bone. The mangers don't like to help. They do not appreciate you taking your off days to come in and help out other shifts. They tell you your getting a raise only to say your not. They tell all part-time when hired that if needed they can call off but must bring in a doctors note, which is fine in all but not everyone has money to keep going to a doctor for a cold, which we was told if we had one to call off because we work over food. They now tell part-timers that they cant have personal days or vacations. I've never worked a job that told part-timers that that is utterly ridiculous. Most people work every Holiday and they don't get a switch with others. that is unfair ya'll need a better management team.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
**WARNING - - FROM A 20 + YEAR MANAGER IN FOOD SERVICES- DO NOT WORK FOR UNIDINE!
Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 7, 2013
Where to begin? The employees are at the bottom of the barrel, followed closely by the customer base to whom Unidine is contracted. The culture is abysmal. A very hostile working environment. Your professional experiences and skills mean nothing - it is all about the pennies Unidine can squeeze out of you and the customer. It has been a nauseating unprofessional experience working for this company. Only apply if you are desperate. If anything else, working for Unidine will be a learning experience (a bad one). Good Luck - and don't forget you were warned!!!
Pros
extremely bad learning experience
Cons
hostile work environment, complete disregard for employees welfare, demeaning corporate management.
Stay-away from this company!!! They treat their employees worse than the floor they walk on!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MODecember 9, 2015
I was one of the "Grand-Fathered" employees who worked for them about one year. In that amount of time, I had everything taken away, was no longer taken seriously, given jobs far below my talent level, and was generally demeaned and degraded by their management team. This happened despite the fact l had as much (in some cases more) education, knowledge, experience, and above all a genuine concern for doing things right. When I would point-out things that were being done in-correctly, I ended-up being a "target" of upper management.
In writing this review, it is my hope that individuals like myself will avoid making the mistake of working for them!!!
Pros
I can't think of any.
Cons
A laundry list.
Simply the worst company to work for
Former Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 13, 2015
It all starts at the top. CEO is the biggest egomaniac I have ever met. Plus he is quite literally the cheapest boss. Has no regard for anyone not in his inner circle. Has no honor or loyalty to the people who helped him actually do the dirty work. He couldn't boil water, but expects his facilities to produce 'culinary' miracles with the cheapest products, so he can get the biggest kick backs. No support in the field, but a huge office staff at corporate. All to support his Unidine Way that was really created by former members of his team that he cut loose when they outlived their usefulness. Stay away, far away. Do not trust anything they tell you, it's all lies.
Pros
they give you a job
Cons
salary, benefits, work/life balance
Stay away from Unidine
Manager (Former Employee) –  suburb BostonJuly 19, 2015
If you ever thinking about getting a job with this company? Think again! Unless you're in a dire need. Still, think twice. I left my previous job for a Unidine account in suburb of Boston. On my first day on the job, I realized that I made a big mistake of taking the position.
The site grossly dirty, over budget, over inventory and under staffed.
The district manager come over every other week for 2-3 hours just to smooth out the client and walk around with clip board and create a report. Never once she would ask, why and what can we do to fix it.
After, a long 10 weeks with Unidine, I am gladly left and regretted every single time I spend with them.
If you can stay away!!
Pros
A job, pay check
Cons
understaffed, high turnover, poor management support
Great first job to teach many skills needed in the real world.
Server/Utility (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, MASeptember 22, 2015
They subcontract out to facilities across the state. Never had a problem with their upper management and they put good lower management people in place to run the facilities. My co-workers and I still get along after many years working together and the facility is well run. Politics can be expected but that happens with every company. I learned as much about people and socializing and building up my abilities to deal with situations as I did the job at hand. Became a much more independent worker as more responsibility was given to me, but not enough to overwhelm too early.
Unidine= A complete joke
regional Ops Manager (Former Employee) –  traveled 100% of timeSeptember 21, 2015
worst company by far I've worked for. You get NO vacation time at all until 12 months. If you work on the travel ops team usually a 10/4 schedule you need to use your own money for your hotel, flight, meals , rental car any items for account average 10 day trip on average $22-3100!!! Only company I've worked for and no corporate credit card... Goid chance you will have to wait 2-3 weeks for the reimbursement of YOUR OWN MONEY. Recently they just fired/laid off a lot of tge regional ops, DMs ... A lot of hard working dedicated professionals that helped make Unidine... Majority of people laid offśe
Pros
colleagues
Cons
senior leadership
guest services supervisor (former employee)
GSR Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Godfrey, ILDecember 13, 2014
Management was absolutely horrible I did not receive the proper training to do my job...so therefore I could not make sure the ones under me were doing their jibs properly...being told one thing by management then being told by employees management told them something different made it difficult...the people and the clients I loved the company needs more organization....and accountability..... I also do not agree that corporate knew our contract was up and we found out when the new company posted a want ad in the local paper for our jobs
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
everything else
No room for advancement
Customer Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 5, 2016
I loved working for the hospital but not for Unidine. Worked for this company for over a year. Worked overtime and came in when the work place was severely under staff. How can 3 people feed over 202 patients? No manager help. Manager didn't care if we was shorted staffed. Applied to a position while working knowing I was qualified to handle the position. The position was given to other workers that called into work ALL THE TIME. No advancement for African Americans with this company. You will be worked like a slave.
Cons
Under staffed. Over worked. Not appreciated.
unidine life
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 26, 2015
Typical workday for managers starts anywhere from 5 am to 7am. As on onsite manager I worked from 5-3. These hours however were dependent on if you accomplished certain tasks. Otherwise you were in earlier the next day. Management was their. I had a boss who always was their for me until the very end. Co-workers were great, It was more of a team environment. Hardest part of the job would be attempting to accomplish all the tasks to satisfy your drivers an boss's. The most enjoyable part of the job was you made alot of long lasting relationships with the drivers
Worst company to work for
Chef Manager/Exec. Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Chattam, NJ/Burlington, NJJune 23, 2014
Well, Where do I begin, They move you from a close vicinity, that you are comfortable in, and can get to work without any problems, and then Wisk you away to a place that the salary that you are making doesn't even begin to cover any of your expenses, but they won't even help you cover fuel. They have a great concept with their freshness pledge, but absolutely NO ORGANIZATION!!!, and management leaders. Absolutely no support for their managers or chef's
Pros
bad experience
Cons
worst experience ever to be had at any company
Unidine Way
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TexasDecember 15, 2014
I accepted a position with this company about 3 months ago and from day one I knew this job had no potential. I was salary, so 100 hours per week was the norm. Never knew when my days were off. Worked 12 days on 2 off if at all. Morale is low and what they pay you, I see why. This company said I quit after taking two consecutive days off. You got to be kidding me. Unidine has potential, but bites off more than they can chew trying to nail down accounts in unchartered territories
Cons
no management structure
FARMINGTON CT, DON'T DO IT, STRESSFUL OVER WORKED
FULL Utility (Former Employee) –  FARMINGTON, CTDecember 2, 2014
Had a lot of enthusiasm n joy with my job for the first few months the chef/mgr as a superiority issue, snob, not satisfied, hypocritical, treats staff in a condescending manor n sucks all life from her staff she has gone through 10 staff in the year she has been there due to not meeting "her" standards she has a reputation that precedes her from former companies as well company fails to see were the real issues lye it's NOT the staff!
Pros
hours
Cons
chef/manager
day full of continuous workloads
Baker Salad Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIMarch 19, 2015
made salads, desserts, did catering events, made fruiuts water for 6 differnt areas, prepped for the next two day and made sure there was cold prep one for others. I learned how to trust people and management was terrible. My coworkers were great and the hardest part of my job was doing it all alone everyday. There was no enjoyable part.
Pros
pay was ok
Cons
no food, no guarantee on what they say they will do
if you can be brainwashed then this company is for you
diet tech (Former Employee) –  ManhattanJune 20, 2013
It's all about the Unidine way. Micromanagement should be there a policy. How to save a dollar is their goal, building a relationship with the staff is non existent. There is no support to be had From the corporate office. Not the company I thought it was. They sell you a bag of goods and deliver none. When you see Unidine do not apply for the job.
Cons
low pay, no benefits, no support
Awful!
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Boston, maMarch 26, 2013
Extremely bad culture. You would feel like you are locked in a jail if you work at the headquarter. The CEO is a micromanager, you are ordered to clean your desk, drawers and computer all the time. The management team is very controlling.
Every dept is short staffed, no resources. Not willing to spend a penny on anything.
Pros
discounted lunch and yet still pricey
Cons
no breaks, expect to work 12 hrs a day.
Strong company with customer service at fore fron. Quality foods with freshness in mind always.
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Wellesley, MAJuly 3, 2012
Pros
strong company with customer service at fore fron. quality foods with freshness in mind always.
Cons

Comment – June 3, 2013

This Company is not what it says it is all the back office politics drain the life energy out of you!

Good place to work!!!!
COOK/SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Wellesley, MAJuly 27, 2013
A typical day at work cooking for about 200 people,I learn so much even though I've been cooking for 9 years there is always something new to learn,I have a new director so far so good.My co-workers come in everyday and do their jobs can't ask for more.The hardest part my job there is none and the most enjoyable part is when everyone tells you your doing a great job.
Job was great, but Management was not very good.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Godfrey, ILSeptember 7, 2014
The job was a great job and we were doing something good for the people who need it, it was filled with great people to talk to and hang out with.

The Management was not very good, they were always doing something that did not make sense and did not work most of the time.
Pros
great people to be around
Cons
management made no sense

2.9