Unified Grocers Employee Reviews

the company took care of you
maintenance foreman (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAApril 21, 2017
only bad thing is the management didn't like the conveyors so they did everything they could to have them removed all and all it was a great place to work
Great People and Benefits
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAApril 19, 2017
This company offers great benefits, hours, and pays well. It is difficult to become a manager as employees tend to stay at the company for many years.
Bad attitudes and high pressure put on dispatch and drivers
Driver (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 27, 2017
Long hours and some weekends. On call everyday for many. At a moments notice you may be required by the threat of losing your job to give up your day and off family plans and work a 6th day up to 14 hrs. Sometimes trying to get a day off for personal reasons may be refused depending on the availability of drivers based upon seniority.
Dispatchers consistently making mistakes on routing, over weight on axles, forcing drivers out of seniority on runs and making excuses for their own demise.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No family time and NO personal life expectations by mngmt.
Maintenance & Logistics Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 17, 2017
Just too many changes on the team with new people not wanting to learn policies and the overturn of employees just too high; on an average; almost a new boss every other year!
Nice place to work.
Adminstrative Assistant/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 13, 2017
Our plant abruptly closed, leaving 132 people without a job. Other facilities have since closed. Beware of job security. They very minimally assisted with resumes and locating of other opportunities. Nothing was offered within the company.
Very stressful. Job demands meeting very high production criteria.
Building Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORFebruary 10, 2017
Entire team needs more understanding of each other's needs. It seems like the union and company are at war. Sorry to say but a very dismal atmosphere
Pros
Steady employment
Cons
Very high production criteria
Fast paste working environment
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 24, 2017
Fast paste working environment with a lot of hrs but was only temporary. job duties were find and locate all items customers and take them to their designated areas to ship back to customers place of business.
Pros
overtime hrs
Cons
temporary
nice place to work, close by
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAJanuary 17, 2017
I loved this place, the people I got to know were very nice, my boss especially was very nice to work for. I had never done purchasing I found it to be fun and a awesome place to work
Pros
cart lady came in every morning with fresh breakfast loved it..
Cons
having to leave after the assignment was completed
bakery
Bakery, oncall (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CANovember 29, 2016
The only really good thing abut this place is the Pay and the learning experience other than that management not good too much favoritism and not enough discipline for peoples mistakes and actions in which at the end can affect you. The majority of people are some what friendly and some what cooperative but there are those others that don't cooperate at all. Too much seniority pride and unfairness. Schedules are horrible at the entry level but after you have a bid job its pretty stable.
Pros
Free coffe at the lunch room & Free bread limit 2 lofs per day
great company to work for.
Customer Care Assistant/Associate (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAOctober 27, 2016
most people who start there, don't leave.
nice and comfortable work space. I've been there for fifteen years, I can't really complain. reviews every year at the same time are good.
Pros
flexible with schedule.
Cons
short breaks
Terrible Workplace
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Milwaukie, OROctober 21, 2016
Union rep has his favorites and likes to skip people in señority so that his favorites can have the days they want off or do the work they want. Workers there influence management on who stays and who gets fired opinions are very bias. Terrible hours.
Pros
You top out at 26$ hr.
Cons
Terrible crew always looking for the easy way out.
Always busy
Payment Processing Specialist - Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 22, 2016
Great company to work for.
Good hours. Great opportunities . Management is very helpful and friendly. You will learn something new every day. You will always be busy. Which it will make your day go faster.
Pros
They have health fairs every year . They offer classes to learn more programs
Cons
Which we had for O.T.
Full service lunchroom.
Administrative Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 28, 2016
A typical day anywhere is full of interaction with co-workers, planning, executing and making it a successful and engaging day. Always a busy day and surrounded by positive activity.
Pros
Allowed to work freely and backed by supportive managment.
Cons
Never enough time in the day for projects.
great job bad it closed the dairy
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 16, 2016
work was fun always excited to see how a milk run was going to go. loved the overtime it was a great job because had great pay and benefits.
productive
Warehouse selector, (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 13, 2016
pick order that were given to me. Do my daily duties. wrap pallets. i did good at what i did and got my job done. My supervisor was a great guy, staff was ok
Great compay
produce Administration (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 13, 2016
Great Company to work for. I worked there for 18 years and I loved every minute of it. The guys in the produce where house treated me like family. I learned so much. I was able to take classes to improve my job preformane. I also took a two day class on excell trough Fried Prior. my Co-Workers were very helpful and nice. It's location is great. I was able to get to work quickly. It's a perfect location
Pros
Beniitits
Cons
No cons
Fun work place, very nice coworkers
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 3, 2016
Fun work place

but hard to get promoted,

Advise to management"

- talk to the people more often to get to the core of the issue.
Pros
Fun work place, very nice cowrkers
Cons
hard to get promoted
Dairy, Long hours and alot of work
Dairy- Bracket 2 (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 25, 2016
Working in the dairy for Unified Grocers had its good and bads. Once you start here you better start adjusting your life to your new work schedule, Seniority is a big factor here and it can get annoying at points. Management is terrible and they never cover people that go on vacation so your always left short handed. You don't have weekends off unless you have about 8+ years of working there,
Pros
Benefits, Pension
Internship
Internship in Health & Beauty Department (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 13, 2016
Fun internship, data entry mostly. Cool team, great internship for future finance careers. Learned different aspects of the company and took tours to outside properties.
Pros
Good Internship
good place to work
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 22, 2016
it was a nice place to work. friendly people and manager. clean warehouse. would love toward there again. have to put in some time before you can get a permanent position
Pros
good pay and friendly people
Cons
have to put in some time before you can get a permanent position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unified Grocers. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3