Unified Grocers Employee Reviews in United States

Internship
Internship in Health & Beauty Department (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 13, 2016
Fun internship, data entry mostly. Cool team, great internship for future finance careers. Learned different aspects of the company and took tours to outside properties.
Pros
Good Internship
a very good place to work
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 9, 2016
Day at work create daily production schedule make sure production is on time oversee shipping warehouse.
The company offer on the job training classes on leadership management development safety hazard handling.
Pros
Salary
Cons
South Central LA
Good working environment
Senior Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORApril 3, 2016
Understands the needs of the employees.
Improving the work environment.
Organize monthly training program.
Provide the holidays lunch.
Unified Grocers
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAFebruary 27, 2016
Fast pace work area. Good work ethics. Hardest part is making sure pallets are nicely built to make all clients pleased with there orders.
Pros
Free Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks
union shop with great benefits
Order Selector/Forklift Operator/Safety (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAFebruary 22, 2016
Productive fast paced work environment with great Compensations and Benefits. Easy crew to get along with, who holds a brotherhood mentality. seniority based with room for advancement.
Financially struggling company
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 10, 2016
Financially struggling company in the midst of a cross-roads. The upper management team is trying to figure out what is the best thing for the future of the company.
intense fast paced
Forklift Operator/loader/receiver (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 5, 2016
it was union work good pay and benefits .if you go in with bad attitude then you probably will have a bad day. I went with the attitude that I will have fun with it and get the work done . A typical day at work could mean more than 100 loads out bound plus receiving . there was also perishable building this included meats fresh and frozen , deli , produce , milk , frozen food and ice cream. All has to be loader so as to arrive without the ice cream melting or the produce freezing. I had no problems with management but if I needed them I could count on them like they could on me . my co-workers are some of the best in the business. could always count on them. the hardest part of this job was going in 2 hours after the pickers had started at the time there was more than 100 plus about 5 to 10 bull drivers each picker could pick 2 to 4 pallet per hour depending on product. each bull driver could bring 2pallets per trip so the loading dock was full by the time the loaders walked thru the door the most enjoyable time is when we walked
out the door at end of shift and everything was loaded and ready for delivery and nobody got hurt.
Pros
union work union pay summuer cook outs christmas dinners
Cons
seems there was always a division between union workers and management
Great Company
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAJanuary 28, 2016
Great company to work for Work/Life balance not so well but super helpful employees. Supervisors are really great work well with anything you may need.
Very goog place to work
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAJanuary 8, 2016
Strong management team, everyone from the floor associates to Director work well together. this is a place where the word team is true to the meaning
very fast pace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 22, 2015
your always going to have something to do here which makes the day go by fast. also the management was very great made you want to work harder for him because he went the extra mile for you.
No room for advancement
Acting as a single point of contact (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 20, 2015
No room for advancement or changing departments. Great place to work but would like to move up. Hardest part of job is the lack of communication betweens department.
Typical day at work
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CASeptember 5, 2015
Be ready to work hard at a fast paste. The enviroment is a good one. Everyone is ready to help you succeed at your task. The job is hard but the pay is worth it.
Tough place
Order Selector and forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 7, 2015
really tough place to work, just have to be on top of yourself since they are very strict. job has standards so you have to be mentally tough and physically ready to work overtime. The weekly checks and benefits they offer are really great and would love to work there.
Pros
great financially and beneficial
Cons
working hours
Rapidly Growing Company
SENIOR BUYER (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAMay 16, 2015
Good company. Good people to work with. Growth has been so rapid and has created many opportunities especially in Tech...Company is very behind industry technology but trying to catch up
Pros
Good people, good attitudes
Cons
Corp office location is awful. Very difficult commute.
Environment and culture could be better.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 22, 2015
Overall culture and environment could use some improvement. Pay is great, location is good and parking is free. Very little room for career advancement.
union job
Loader/Packer, Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 5, 2015
Started with the company as a order selector and advanced to a loader. Learned how to load and secure pallets safely into trucks. Enjoyable part of the job was being able to work and make incentive pay.
Pros
incentive pay opportunities
Good Work Environment
RETAIL ADVERTISING REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Portland, OregonFebruary 13, 2015
Good place to work. People are great. Work / life balance is good. However, opportunities to advance if you're in middle management or below are limited somewhat.
Pros
good people, good work/life balance, decent compensation
Cons
limited advancement opportunities
good place to work
truck driver (Former Employee) –  commerce caJanuary 22, 2015
I'm a professional behind the steering
in the past fifteen year I being working us truck driver in ca so I have the knowledge expected
the company need I like to be part of the team
I'm hard woker and waiting for a chance to enjoy one of best companies in la
Pros
lunch
Cons
health care
Company very male driver sexist
Executive Account Manager Perishable Meat (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonJanuary 6, 2015
I worked for this company for 12 years in the perishable meat department. It is very male oriented and very seldom do women get promoted. In the 12 years I was there men were promoted 9 out of 10 times over women. I noticed that if your a horrible person or a good ole boy you excelled or were promoted by your other boys. This company does not promote for doing a good job. It's who you know not what you know at Unified. I saw lazy rotten people promoted time and again. I saw people who called in sick constantly or who were verbally offensive keep their jobs. I saw a hard working temp who went to HR and turned in some male employees who were speaking offensively get fired for speaking the truth. This company is extremely shady very sexist and just a foul place to work. I for one was glad to leave after 12 years of this brutal work place.
They do pay well and have great benefits. I made many friends who came and went and some who still work there.
This place is definitely not a stable place to work. In 12 years I saw half the work force get laid off or fired and this place doesn't have a good reputation.
I say buyer beware.
The bottom line is if you lose money and are lazy and a male you will work perfect here. If your hard working loyal and devoted and are a woman forget it work elsewhere.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
not stable and not a place for women who want to excel in the business world
Good Company
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 9, 2014
This role was manageable and somewhat rewarding. The best part of the job was getting to meet with several manufacturers. This was a role where the day to day expectations were manageable
Pros
managable work load
Cons
poor office morale