Unified Grocers Employee Reviews

avoid working in customer service like the plague
Customer Satisfaction Advocate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2018
Customers for the most part are nice and reasonable. The "managers" are not. Actually their title should be yellers and harrassers. Anytime any help is needed they get angry, yet if you don't ask for help, they get angry, pretty much sums up the "management style".
Forklift operator
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 8, 2018
I had to select orders and stage them I also had to hand stack merchandise on Pallets also have to refill empty slots or location and I had to put away the new merchandise that came in on the new truck
Pros
30 mins
Cons
15 mins
Good culture with open enviromnet
Supervisor, Operations Support (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CADecember 7, 2017
Unified Grocers was a very good place to work. Good work/life balance. Open environment with recognition for Hard Work. Open to new ideas. Good team spirit. Recently, was taken over by SuperValu. Not the same place.
Pros
Recognition for hard work
Cons
Small work force
Great production management
Laborer/Operator (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 28, 2017
I worked second shift from three o'clock pm to eleven o'clock pm five days a week Monday through Friday. Gained great work experience. Also will return if needed.
Company Purchased By Supervalu
Manager End User Support - Information Center (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAOctober 24, 2017
Company was a great place to work until purchased by Supervalu. The remaining staff after lay-offs is not feeling supported by new owners. Has potential to be great again.
Good job with good benefits and good hours
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 22, 2017
A typical day at Unified grocers would consist of me arriving at the facility. Completing a full inspection of the truck and trailer that was assigned to me. After inspection i would begin my shipment routs. Once at my drop off destination i would unload the product and would continue to the next stop. Further more, upon completion of my delivery rout i would return to Unified grocers facility, drop of the truck and trailer.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Awesome place to work at, watch for higher management.
Warehouse Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORSeptember 8, 2017
Love this place. Most of my coworkers are like family. We work hard and crack jokes all night. My foremen and boss are great. But the warehouse supervisor for some reason has put a target on my back. Other than that I love this place. Great pay. All the hours you'll ever need other than in the winter where it really slows down.
Pros
Awesome pay, like family
Cons
Higher management thinks they're the Gestapo.
A great company with good benifits
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAAugust 31, 2017
Worked with heavy phones , placing orders for our Commerce, Santa Fe Springs, and Stockton facilities. Negotiated pricing with my vendors for our Diesel trucks parts , pallet jack, and forklift parts also bought office supplies for the company on Office Depot website. The director of the dept. was great . It was like a family environment and everyone knew each other which made it very nice. The hardest part of job was the drive into work from Gardena but after I arrived it was great I loved working with my vendors and end users / associates getting their parts to them in a timely manner each day and building the relationship I had with my vendors.
Pros
It was like a family environment
Cons
Company was bought out by SuperValu and was laid off
Longevity
Associate Buyer (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAJuly 11, 2017
Unified Grocers has great benefits and several employees have worked here for over, 20, 30, and even 40 plus years. With a company being so large, covering the west coast, there was opportunity for promotions and crossing over to different departments. Several associates took advantage of the tuition reimbursement program.
Pros
benefits are great
Cons
change may not be so easy
Great place to learn and advance
Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 28, 2017
Controlled chaos, great place to learn about retail and wholesale. Never a dull day, and always something to learn, or somebody to help. You can move up here, if it is what you want.
Good starting pay job, hard to get promoted
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 19, 2017
Work was good, but sometimes felt unappreciated. Benefits are good and pay was good. When busy season got there, overtime pretty much eliminated your personal life.
Pros
Starting pay
Cons
Hard to get promoted
Good Job Bad Management
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORJune 13, 2017
It just wasn't the job for me. Good pay and great benefits. But when you have those whose suppose to put you in a position to excel does none of the above it begins to get over whelming. And I was taught if it don't fill you then it will drain you. Life's too good to be stressed out.
fast paced enivornment
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAMay 23, 2017
overall its a good company with good pay.i was laid off but from what i hear that job security is more stable now. Besides that the only other con i can think of is having split days off.
Pros
good pay
Cons
split days off
Best job ever
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAMay 9, 2017
I worked here for 10 years. I made a mistake leaving this place. I had great benefits, full benefits. It is a union job. The workplace was clean. It was very fun to work at. My coworkers were the best. It was like family.
distribution company with multiple locations
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 8, 2017
large company with every program in distribution to market provisions. Large distribution facilities with the latest technology and efficiency. Many areas for advancement.
Accounts Payable
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 1, 2017
Completed duties related to handling of mail or packages by performing labor-intensive duties and operating mail-processing equipment.
 Organization: Received and sorted incoming and outgoing mail and parcels according to postal regulations and unit necessities.
 Efficiency: Collaborated with the internal treasury department ensuring printed checks were delivered efficiently.
 Imaged invoices and filed correspondence.
 Mail Management: Weighed, stamped and made arrangements for outbound mail
and packages, operated mail processing as necessary.
the company took care of you
maintenance foreman (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAApril 21, 2017
only bad thing is the management didn't like the conveyors so they did everything they could to have them removed all and all it was a great place to work
A fun yet challenging place to work.
System Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAApril 20, 2017
When I hired in we were always super busy. We would sometimes ship as many as 1 million cases per week.

I learned a lot about grocery distribution in my 10 years here.

Unified always seems to be hiring management from the outside rather than promoting from within. It creates problems when the person in charge has no idea of what or how thing need to get done.
Pros
Good guys to work witj
Great People and Benefits
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAApril 19, 2017
This company offers great benefits, hours, and pays well. It is difficult to become a manager as employees tend to stay at the company for many years.
Bad attitudes and high pressure put on dispatch and drivers
Driver (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 27, 2017
Long hours and some weekends. On call everyday for many. At a moments notice you may be required by the threat of losing your job to give up your day and off family plans and work a 6th day up to 14 hrs. Sometimes trying to get a day off for personal reasons may be refused depending on the availability of drivers based upon seniority.
Dispatchers consistently making mistakes on routing, over weight on axles, forcing drivers out of seniority on runs and making excuses for their own demise.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No family time and NO personal life expectations by mngmt.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unified Grocers. Our community is ready to answer.