UniFirst Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible place to work with job threatens everyday
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 3, 2016
With all do respect, this was the worst company I have ever worked for. I am fairly experienced in sales, and the only people who may actually succeed are the lucky ones - no sales rep while I worked here was successful- NOT ONE.

This is a sinking ship. If you want an in between job, then this may be for you. Overall, there are no opportunities to grow your sales career.

Management is used to turnover so they simply just don't care- it's only a matter of time until they give up anyway.
Pros
Free breakfasts every now and then
Cons
Bad management, dishonest/unethical way of selling, very outdated sales system
Productive, Results Orientated Environment
Sales Manager (promotion) (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 29, 2015
Great company to begin a sales career with. Plenty of opportunity for advancement and lucrative compensation offered.
Pros
Career Advancement
Cons
Industry
unifirst
rsr route sales (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 10, 2015
unifirst is a graet place to work its hard work and always giving you a new task weekly its a job that allows you to make as much money as you want only job that allows you to be your own boss when you out in route and always shows you that you are part of a team that will work hard to make sure you are getting what you need to make better in life choices .
Pros
great pay
Cons
management to sensitive holds grudges
stay away
Manager (Current Employee) –  usaDecember 5, 2015
could be a great place to work if everyone did their job and worked together as a team. a lot of the people are great to work with but are expected to do more than possible to do in a given day without any additional compensation.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
lack of high up management involvement
Exciting and different everyday!
Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 10, 2016
Started with no sales experience and was taught the basics of need-based selling. The company has a lucrative bonus program as long as you hit your minimum installed numbers. Sales manager and General Manager will help you by attending meetings in the field with you to help you prospect and sell, track your progress and coach you up, and give you access to many sales tools via your company iPad and 1 on 1 training.
A lot of emphasis on moving up into various management roles if successful, but I like the freedom of sales. Many sales reps have been promoted quickly based on effort and success in the field.
Hardest part of the job is managing the "negative" of sales and not taking "no" personally. When a deal falls apart and you need to make quota, there is pressure to make sure you are prospecting enough to make it up.
There is a sense of loyalty here that I have never experienced before. If you work hard for them, they will go through a brick wall for you!
Pros
Can make BIG MONEY
Cons
Must consistently work hard
Management is terrible
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 10, 2016
They expect you to do so much for so little and you rarely ever get any recognition for the hard work you do. The managers lack communication between each other and employees. Everybody does what they want and say what they want to the managers. Drama is always a problem and management does nothing about it. They preach unity and team work but when it comes to actually putting it to play nobody is on the same page!
Pros
work schedule and hours
Cons
Poor management
Enjoyed the job except the drama..
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 18, 2016
For the most part I enjoyed working at this company. Lots of data entry and you are busy for most of the day.
Least enjoyable; the other ladies in the front suck the life out of you. They spend most of the day gossiping or speaking badly of one another. When brought up to management nothing is done.
Teamwork is not emphasized even though it is noted on job description.
The negative atmosphere is what made the job less enjoyable.
Benefits
Cons
Too much drama
enjoyed the early hour
Order Puller/Floater/Receiving Dock (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 5, 2016
filling orders, rolling mats, and loading and unloading trucks, washer, dryers, and returns, steam press and quality control
Pros
early hours
Cons
poor management
Team Oriented Environment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 26, 2016
Unifirst took me on just two months after I completed my bachelor's degree at York College of Pennsylvania in 2014, (Journalism, minor in Business Marketing.)

My manager, and the rest of the sales team was very helpful from the start. They trained, educated, and provided me with the skills and experience I would need to be successful in the uniform industry. I will forever be grateful for how good they were to me.
Stockroom Manager (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, NYMay 31, 2016
I have worked for this company for over 10 years, and if it wasn't for the fact that I was relocating, I would not leave. I have had 3 children while working here, and they have worked my schedule to fit with the hours of my daycare provider. I have learned time management and how to handle difficult employee situations. I have definitely enjoyed the relationships that I made during my time here with current co-workers as well as past co-workers.

Want to know more about UniFirst?

Ask a question
You work mostly on your own
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 13, 2016
It's Monday-Friday work, The people are nice and the company is easy to work for. You can advance. The tough part of the job is heavy work loading mats. Sometimes you don't see too many co-workers as everyone has their own schedule. That is one of the good parts of the job. I like doing my own schedule and working outside.
Pros
Monday-Friday
Cons
It gets hot as you are in and out of the truck all day
Only if you are desperate for work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cordova, TNMarch 7, 2016
I wanted to be fair with my review of this company so I waited awhile before I posted this review. You can expect your job to be threatened on a weekly basis in sales meetings, yet they say don't worry about your job. You are promised a year to ramp up sales and get in the swing of things but that will not happen. The sales staff rotates about twice a year and this is for many reasons... micro managing to the extreme, unprofessional office environment (expect to listen to potty mouth LM all day long), favoritism among sales reps, UNREALISTIC goals and appointment setting, and outdated software that does not work 50% of the time. The only good thing about this office is the route drivers and they only last because they are gone all day. I have a lot of sales experience and have been pretty successful but unless MAJOR changes are made all the way up the chain, few will make it here. There is no reason I should have learned about former employees sleeping together, etc but management talks about any and everyone as soon as you're out the door. I was told to apply here if I was looking for something short term or in-between jobs while looking for something better and now I totally understand why. I have never dreaded going to work until I worked here but great things are on the horizon, so moving on...
Pros
The sales manager is great
Cons
70+ turnover rate, micro managing, inexperienced management, unrealistic goals
Upper Management does not have a clue
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 13, 2015
As an Outside Sales Rep with more than 20 years of experience I was treated like someone fresh out of high school who had never even sold pizza's for a fund raiser. Although their training is extensive (and the message is good) it is OVERKILL. Then you spend 3-4 days in the office on the phone making cold calls. As an outside sales person that time is more productive in the field face to face. On top of that I had a Branch Manager who never sold squat, learned all he knew about sales from reading books; had no sense of CUSTOMER SERVICE whatsoever. Our turnover in sales people and Sales Managers was ridicules (Had 3 sales managers while I was there in 4 months) yet the same Branch Mgr. (maybe he was the problem) All I can say is STAY AWAY!
Pros
Good training if you don't know how to sell
Cons
Lots see my comments

Comment – September 4, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We believe there’s A LOT of new information to learn at the start of ANY new career. Whether you’ve been in Sales for years or are brand new, the uniform industry is one of America’s best kept secrets (and we’re not sure why). That being said, there is so much to learn about our industry, products, and our specific Sales Process that most likely differs from what you’ve experienced in other Sales Careers. In fact, even our direct competitors Sell differently than we do! And the truth is we want you to use our Sales Process, not ones you’ve learned from other companies, as we’ve found it to be successful in our industry. And frankly, we agree with you. The majority of your time SHOULD be spent out in the field meeting with Prospects. However, the telephone is your most valuable tool in setting a large quantity of Appointments and if you don’t have enough Appointments on the books, a Manager may have you stick around to make more dials to make the best use of your time.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 15, 2015
Great Management, Great Culture . Sales rep job is hard and takes a lot of work. The training is great. good salary for starting sales job. company promotes from within
Rich in processs
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 10, 2016
Great company to work for with a sense of pride and history. There is a sense of teamwork at various levels.

An overall sense of tradition and a management that is focused on success and rewards hard work.
Everyone looks out for each other
District Service Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 2, 2015
The culture at this company is all about each other. Even though all of my drivers have their own routes we will all help each other to service all of our customers when their is a hiccup in the day. We are all interested in our families and we all work to ensure each other's success.
Pros
Every day is different. There is no mundane
Cons
Underpaid compared to same position with other companies.
Fun work atmosphere
All-American Baseball Center Coach (Current Employee) –  Trafford, PAJune 28, 2016
Was a lot of hours and a tough job, but being a people person made sales a great experience. We are responsible for building our own schedule holding 20 meetings a week. Also responsible for cold calling and going business to business to set meetings for the following weeks.
Pros
Office only 2 days per week
Cons
4 hour phone blocks
Great Company with Potential to Excel
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 14, 2015
UniFirst is an excellent company to work for. They offer an outstounding pay structure, with an above average base salary with no cap on potential commission earnings. The training provided really works well when used properly and is overall very helpful. Do not get discouraged when you lose a few sales, and do not get distracted by present potential customers. Everything you work on today determines how your future will work out. Steadily be searching for new business while working current prospects. Management in this location is great. Very friendly and very helpful. I would highly recommend this position to anyone who is self motivated, organized, time efficient, and who is an aggressive "hunter" for new business.
Pros
great pay, excellent training, and overall enjoyable environment
Cons
cut-throat industry can make it tough at times.
Good place to work if socialable
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 15, 2016
Worked here for about half a year. I was assigned to one task but was shifted to other jobs. Co-workers were courteous and helpful. Management was ok. I wasn't hip to the picnics and other celebrating gifts offered by this company. That was me. Beyond that, it was good job. Needs some form of structure; something to keep focus that employees can do well and not persuade them to do other jobs unless they want to do them.
Opportunity to see new places and meet Key Individuals at many different companies.
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Menomonee Fls, WIAugust 4, 2016
This company has always been good to me but that trust and respect was earned through my time working here. I enjoyed seeing the procedures at many different companies and establishing relationships with many new people in charge at these companies.
Unfortunately, a lot of issues that arise can be completely out of your hands to solve so if you are a person who enjoys providing excellent service like myself, often times you may feel helpless when trying to take care of issues that regard other departments at this company.
I enjoy being in able to make my own decisions on route which is encouraged; they use the phrase "you're your own boss" once you leave the office so it is good to handle things in a way best for yourself and the customer .
My problem is that this company can get very busy or caught up in certain staffing issues that you may not find much time to meet with your managers to aid you with some of your issues. It is urged that many of these things are taken care of by the route drivers themselves so whether they are right or wrong, the choice is your on how to handle an issue.
Pros
Lots of experience to gain and relationships to be made, chance to be your own boss, no strict schedule, always ways to make additional cash
Cons
Labor intensive, lack of management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UniFirst. Our community is ready to answer.