Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Employee Reviews

Opportunities for Upward Mobility
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 13, 2016
Open work culture. Great place to work for those seeking employment in the medical field. The staff is easy to work with and very knowledgeable in the work they do. I would recommend employment with this company.
University meets Government=Red Tape Squared
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJanuary 18, 2017
I enjoyed the students because they are military and very organized. A lot of the issues were with MD's thinking they know how to run research projects when they do not. I'm a PhD and would never try to diagnose a patient but several of the MD's were trying (and failing) to run research centers.
Cool place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDSeptember 1, 2016
Good for researchers, teachers and ok for Contractors. Contractors with a good company behind them will see success. A lot of room to move and shake here.
Pros
Location!
Cons
Location!
You have to be aggessive
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDAugust 16, 2012
It is a good start for career and get publications. You need to put a long hours to get as much as possible done in a day.
Pros
if you have the scientifc drive it is the place for you
Cons
grants based salary
Nice place and well located
Postdoctoral Fellow, Biochemistry (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 27, 2014
Great place to start a career in science. Benefits provided are excellent but funding opportunities aren't satisfactory. So unless one has a very stable job, this place is a temporary niche in research.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
Unstable in funds
Unique opportunity to serve our military population
Postdoctoral Fellow/ Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 22, 2013
I work as a study clinician implementing suicide prevention strategies with military members and their families
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
poor job security due to budget cuts
Research on Military Medical and Ethics Topics
Post Doc (Current Employee) –  Bethesda MarylandSeptember 21, 2015
Worked with various medical researchers to further understand the ethical, policy, and strategic implications of developments in military medicine
Pros
Great Resources
Cons
Long Hours
Freedom to be autonomous, learning environment, clinical practice
Veterinary Technician (Solely OJT) (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 22, 2015
On a typical day, I would arrive at work by 0730 and was free to go exercise or eat breakfast (which was a very nice perk). Unless a specific event was scheduled early in the day, as long as I had "mustered" or checked in with my supervisor, I didn't necessarily have to be at my desk which gave me a degree of autonomy to work on any work related projects I decided on (again, something I liked very much). I had many responsibilities to juggle: I could be at my desk working on new protocols and scheduling space and man power for various laboratory experiments, changing or updating Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), assisting in surgery at either the main operating room at Walter Reed or the minor surgery rooms at USUHS. Often, I needed to check out controlled drugs for physicians and veterinarians. I also was involved in the teaching of DoD Medical Students about 12 times a year at regular intervals.

The management was very supportive of my going to school on my off time, and always willing to make concessions if need be. They were strict (Army for the most part) but fair. I had 3-4 sailors under my authority who were pleasant to work with, and gave me an opportunity to learn to be a supervisor.

The hardest part of my job was being "on call" for a week every couple months, potentially requiring me to stay late each day as well as come in on my days off to work.
Medical School
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 23, 2014
Military Medical School, good place to develop skills, work on diverse projects

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9