UNIFY Financial Credit Union Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work!
Teller (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, KYMarch 30, 2017
I love this company and I love my job! Training is a little strange because you do travel for it, but the support you get is great! Pay is a little low for the positions but still very good.
Ok place to work
Sr Branch Rep (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAFebruary 1, 2017
Ok place to work. I really have nothing to say but they have a really poor management. But good training programs. But overall if they change some rules and be better in management and HR department learn all the rules ok to place to work.
Cons
always short staff a and sometime you cant even take your lunch time.
Productive workplace
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 21, 2016
You will need to be multitasker if you're looking to work here. Job is very stressful and you will never leave when you're Scheduled. I have learned a lot and have so many more skills to add to my resume.
Pros
Free lunch for top branch, 401k and pension.
Cons
Overworked
Unify FCU
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 27, 2016
Very nice place to work for the majority of my employment there. A lot of changes, some good some bad, occurred later after a large merger.

I left on good terms and have fond memories of working there.
awesome bosses, very laid back
Operation Service Center Representative II (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 19, 2016
management is awesome and most of all very understanding of your life situations. the work is to much paper not enough electronic. everyone is friendly
Pros
management
Cons
growth
Wish I'd never left!
Teller (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 10, 2016
Great job with growth both vertically and horizontally. WIsh I had stuck with it after college. Good pay and benefits and pretty positive atmosphere all-around!
Great team to work for!
Mortgage Processor (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 18, 2016
Worked at the company at Mortgage Processor and loved it. The team is great and very helpful. Everyone, including my boss and closers, were always happy to assist to make the process smoother for us the employees and clients.
Pros
team oriented, optimistic people
Cons
9am to 6pm; very late schedule
Great place to learn and build your skill set
processor/underwriter (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 29, 2016
Great place to learn and grow your skill set. Seems typical of credit unions to want to have people be able to wear multiple hats. If you want to learn and have the chance to grow your career and skillset, this is the place to be. Might have culture shock if you come from a typical large bank where everyone is expected to only do one thing and one thing only. Not the case here as you have the chance to branch out and learn various things.

Yes, can be stressful also for the exact same reason, but never found it unmanageable. Management listens and will help you as they do seem to care and have an open door policy.

Will probably find this too stressful if you only want to be confined to only one thing like big banks. So, good place if you want to work with other talented people as those seem to be the only ones that stay long term.

Not sure about the other processor/underwriter that referenced heart attacks, assignment breaks, lunches. Not the case with current management. Will say that Western has gone through at least one questionable manager. Current manager is much better and actually seems to care about team members.
Pros
benefits, pay
Not a good place to work for
Processor/Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 26, 2016
Overwork employees had a pipeline of 60 plus loans did all the order outs and was expected to answer what we refer to as the customer service line answering general questions that could take from 30 minutes to an hour. The credit union has no Loan Officers leaving processor/underwriting re-structuring loan to extending interest rates. No consideration for employees witness a co-worker having a heart attack and they never called 911 this is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. No respect from management assigned breaks and lunches as if you where in school. Could be a pleasant place if they work on the process flow that can make sense.
benefits
Great work environment
Consultant, Talent Acquisition (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 13, 2016
Western Federal Credit Union is going through significant amount of changes, and the opportunities are endless.

My main focus at WFCU was to primarily focus on the day to day recruitment efforts within branch operations.
Blind Chasing the Blind
Member Service (Former Employee) –  TorranceJanuary 7, 2016
If you choose to work at this credit union, then the quality of your personal life is something that can't be important to you.

The department I worked in was mismanaged. You had a director who was fairly new and who brought in her portfolio of ideas gotten while employed by other companies. Ideas must be tailored to acclimate with the philosophy of a company and planned so that they achieve their intended purpose. The director and her two supervisors were superficially nice but ineffective. Their ideas added tedium to an already highly stressed environment staffed by overworked staff.

My co-workers were mostly wonderful and extremely helpful but they were stressed. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that the credit union purchased food for employees on holidays and during special events. The offices are clean and they possess good technology.

Unfortunately, there is a lack of follow-through on the part of the management team. There is little communication so that you are left virtually in the dark wondering if the projects you are working on are being completed according to plan. This is a credit union where there is a very evident disconnect in communication. Maybe the credit union is too top heavy or populated by inept managers.
Pros
Nice facilities, a great lounge room, and great staff.
Cons
Inept management who have segregated themselves from the work force.
Bank Culture
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 23, 2015
Turnover with this company is terrible and it has nothing to do with the people that are hired. I watched as the majority of branch managers turned over within 4 months. Western has a strict probationary period with very little concern for the individual. They may tell you that the probationary period isn't something to worry about I know that my new hire class had at least 5 terminations by the time the period was over. Forget about time off. You can't take time off. Forget about voicing your opinion also. If you're looking to work for a credit union, I'd suggest you go elsewhere. If you've worked at Bank of America, you'll find this culture perfect for you.
Very supportive senior leadership team & great environment
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 13, 2015
I worked a short time at Western and leaving was one of the hardest decisions I've had to make. The leadership team has a clear vision of where they want to take Western and are very transparent with the branch teams about how to get there. The regional managers and market managers care about the members (customers) and work to ensure the branch associates are well trained and versed in all aspects of retail financial services. Having spent years working for national banks, I found Western to be a breath of fresh air as it relates to doing the right things for the right reasons. I realize some of the previous reviews of Western do not align with my experience but if you are member focused and have a willingness to learn the credit union style of business, there is no reason you would not thrive under the leadership of this growing organization.
Pros
Member focused, excellent leadership at the executive level, great training, and quality benefits package
Great Benefits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CANovember 1, 2015
I received great benefits from this company. The company had some problems with job security. They had a lot of turnover and I hear that is still the case. I prefer Banking over Credit Unions.
Worst place ever!
Teller (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAOctober 10, 2015
I could go on and on here about the lack of loyalty or concern for "good, hardworking employees." I personally had an incident as a teller where my drawer was short. I found the missing money. The CDM machine was off the exact amount. The issue was rectified, however, a week later the head teller took the money from my drawer and put it back in the CDM machine. I knew as a teller I was expendable. No one was going to listen to me. The new branch manager I had was not willing to help. I was written up for this false offense, which I refused to sign. I took matters into my own hands and went to Internal Audit. I explained what had happened and they said that that should have never happened, that an investigation would take place. Not soon after I was called in to a meeting with my Regional Manager and the AVP of Human Resources. My Regional told me, "I know you took the money, but I can't prove it." Because I chose not to sign my write up there was no need to do anything. They tore up the paperwork and said, "No more complaining."
This is just once incident. I was a stellar employee who wanted to grow, learn, move up the ladder. Unfortunately, I wasn't valued or respected. I decided to take my talent elsewhere. BEST. DECISION. EVER.
Pros
I don't see one
Cons
Management, lazy co-workers, low pay
Look Elsewhere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 26, 2015
The work load was excessive. We had to work on Saturdays and Sundays which causes burnout. Western Federal Credit Union is not a place you want to work if you have a family life or just a life in general.

Management is out of touch. They delegate and they delegate but they themselves seem to have set up mental barriers so that they don't have to see the effect the overload has on staff.

This is not a company that offers advancement. Its just not there and their are lots of cliques among managers. There is no appreciation for hard work and it is taken for granted. This seems to be a company wide problem.

As bad as management is, the underlings are actually nice, they're just working for a credit union that is not created for efficiency. They've got the technology, they just don't have the right people at the helm.
Pros
Food, nice co-workers, clean offices
WFCU Review
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 23, 2015
Western Federal Credit Union was a really fun place to work! I especially loved being in a smaller branch where I could really get to know each of our members. I got promoted within and also enjoyed taking advantage of every opportunity to grow. This place has a great work environment and WFCU cares about their employees and strives to continue to make it a place of superior member service.
Good coworkers bad leadership
Operation Service Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  torrance, caJuly 4, 2015
The regular workers are very hard working and helpful but the leadership is lost and unusually rude. Also, the call center is ridiculously micro managed and overworked.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAApril 3, 2015
Handle any customers complaints and open new accounts. Also call on the referrals that the tellers generated while providing the best customer service. Made sure they were receiving all the benefits that the bank has to offer.
Not As Professional as They'd Like You to Believe
Contracted employee (Former Employee) –  TorranceFebruary 10, 2015
The department I worked in was under administration of one manager and two supervisors. On my first day, the manager informed me they didn't want an employee who asked too many questions because she and the two supervisors were too busy to spend time answering questions.

From thereon, I arrived to work, sat down and worked. There was absolutely no communication and with exception of one project, all the other projects I completed were never reviewed. After 3 months the manager admitted she never reviewed my work and apologized for not communicating with me.

Co-workers were nice and hard workers. I learned quickly that staff are overworked and required to complete an inordinate number of reports. In this respect, I found this to be an archaic organization. It also amazed me that the manager and two supervisors seemed unusually oblivious to the fact that some of the information they demanded could easily and more efficiently be produced by the IT Department.

I liked the fact there was no micromanaging.

I disliked that there was no follow through on the part of managers. There was also an immense amount of ignorance on the part of the managers about the multitude of tasks each staff member is required to complete. Because of this, there is a lot of overtime but this has to have an impact on the credit union's bottom line and on an employee's quality of life. Though everyone- managers and staff alike, smiled a lot, on several occasions I overheard the manager and her two supervisors negatively gossiping about staff which is always counter-productive. in any working
  more... environment. I also observed that every employee who returned to work after taking personal time off, always exclaimed about how much they didn't want to return to work. This in itself may not seem unusual, but it occurred in the case of EVERY employee who returned from personal time off.

I amended more than 15 individual procedures but not one was reviewed and on my final day of employment, the manager seemed unusually anxious to get these to Compliance when she and her two supervisors never reviewed any of these. Normally, one reviews the work, introduces changes, and in the end, sends the drafted procedures to Compliance. The manager's methodologies were neither proactive, efficient, or cost effective and in the end one has to wonder if goals are ever achieved and if so, what is the quality of the end product? On a side note, the department's procedures are a mess. Actually, most of the Credit Union's procedures are poorly written, poorly organized, poorly formatted, with many riddled with redundancies and saturated with grammatical and syntax errors.
Pros
No micromanaging, Up-to-date software. Extremely nice lunch room. The company is generous in providing employees food.
Cons
Management who seems acutely out-of-touch with the responsibilities of their staff, serious failure by mangers to realize goals, and immensely irresponsible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNIFY Financial Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9