UniGroup, Inc Employee Reviews

Making continual changes in response to market
Manager, End User Technology & Voice Depts (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOOctober 24, 2017
Enjoyed working with peers and other members of staff. Good compensory benefits regarding 401K, health, dental, eye, etc. I've learned a great deal about the transportation industry and how fiercely competitive it is
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Agent Products Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOSeptember 11, 2017
Benefits are ok if you do not have to insure anyone other than yourself; management is bi-polar; the organization as a whole is falling apart; pay was good, benefits are better than most but once again only if insuring only yourself.
ok job
Accounts receivable analyst (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MO 63026September 9, 2017
Can be stressful during busy season. Helping Agents is number 1 on your list of things to do - which at times kept you from getting your own responsibales done.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
pay is below average
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MOSeptember 7, 2017
Unigroup is a good place to work. It has job security and enjoyable people to be around. They do have peak seasons that can get a little hectic but all around it is an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Decent money, good hours
Cons
Not many chances to advance
Physical job that helped time fly
Warehouse Worker and Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOJuly 10, 2017
The days would go fast here. It was normally set up to work four days a week at 40 hours, where the weekends were 12 hour shifts. By the time you were able to stop and look, the day was over half done. The hardest part for me about this job was that halfway through, the dock moved about 30 miles southeast which was a long drive.
Great company
End User Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOMay 9, 2017
World Class Company that has Mayflower and United Van Lines as
their flag ship moving companies as their main business.Worked with a team of IT professionals. Each in their own department, one for desktop/end user support, Networking, Programming, etc. Each working on streamlining the way technology works with our company. Enjoyed working on new threats or rollouts of new products. When I say threats I mean viruses and their removal.
Pros
Lunch cafe on site
Cons
Some travel required. (which I enjoyed)
Productive and hectic at the same time.
Tax Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MOMarch 15, 2017
Very busy since workload has shifted from another department to ours. Longer hours.Dealing more with fuel receipts and mileage for drivers than I've ever had to since the new electronic log devices are now becoming a federal mandate in Dec 2017. We have over 6000 truck drivers to look after.
Pros
very good benefits
Cons
Need more help
A deeply flawed, but reasonable employer
Logistician (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MONovember 15, 2016
Most of the people working here are affable and kind; I have never had an issue with a co worker or direct supervisor during my tenure here. However, senior management can be infuriating at this company. The SOP for most projects involves a fair degree of mind reading and guess work; most senior officials are unsure about what they want and how they would like it presented. In some embarrassing cases, officials do not have the literacy required to relay complicated assignments, even if they know what needs to be done. Be prepared for revisions.

The best thing about my job is the freedom. I frequently have multiple hours a day during which I can pursue my business related interests, unfettered by specific demands.

The worst thing about the job is the prevailing sense of ambiguity in requests. It can be extraordinarily difficult to find out what people actually want here, even when the intended request is extremely simple. Woe to anyone who is a literal person by nature.

Additionally, the starting pay is below (~ 10k) what one could reasonably expect for similar duties, elsewhere.
Pros
Competent Staff, Reasonable Workload
Cons
Confounding Senior Management, Uninspired Pay
Horrible place
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 7, 2016
Do not work here. Management is running it into the ground and they pay about the same as a fast food company with no bonuses or raises, even for forced "promotions"
Pros
Cons
Management, pay, job security
Okay School District
Claims Adjuster II (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MOJanuary 5, 2016
It was tough working in this school district because of the environment. The support that I received from the teachers was outstanding though. I could go to any teacher with any question and I knew that I would be getting an answer.
Pros
Fun interacting with kids and other teachers
Cons
Tough school environment
Good Company, Poor Management
Associate Communications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MODecember 14, 2015
The company was a fun company to work for. I enjoyed the atmosphere. However, my direct Manager and Sr Manager were not good at managing. I think this could be a good company to work for, but the department I worked in lacked significant direction from management.
Pros
Enjoyable Atmosphere and Co-workers
Cons
Poor management
Great job wonderful people
Senior Special Commodities Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MODecember 9, 2015
Processed claims for 11 years
Two years doing military claims, and 9 doing special commodity.
This was a fast paced, time sensitive job.
Involved a lot of customer, agent, driver interaction.
I learned a lot of my computer skills at this job which carried over to my future positions
Pros
Great manager/ lunch break perks
Average company to work for
Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MONovember 14, 2015
Before I get to work in the mornings, I prepare myself on what I plan to get accomplished on any given day.

My duties are to enter invoices that are received on a daily basis, into our accounting program within five business days of receipt.
I am able to complete my invoice entry and other related client information within eight hours.

I learned to be a team player
Assist those who needed extra training as training was part of my job description.
I gained excellent customer rapport with my clients within the company.

I have had various supervisors throughout my time at Unigroup. Some really great supervisors and some that needed assistance, but in the end, the deadlines were always being met.

The hardest part of the job is advising someone they did someone wrong on entry and having to deal with their comments back to me, if they take it offensively.

The best part of the job and my co-workers are two of the same; I've formed many friendships over the years and even though some left on their own to other adventures, we have remained good friends.
Pros
Formed good friendships with co-workers
Cons
Minimal bonuses for experience
Working with UniGroup, Inc.
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOSeptember 25, 2015
A typical day at UniGroup started at 8am. As I logged into my computer emails with documents requested the day before come in. Everyone that walks past is smiling and greets you with Good Morning! As the day progresses being able to multitask and prioritize is KEY. While this is probably the hardest part it of the job, for me, was also the most enjoyable part.
Run away as fast as you can
Relocation management specialist (Former Employee) –  FentonAugust 1, 2015
I worked in government transportation department for 2 yrs and hated it. Horrible management with no support, guilty till proven innocent mentality, high turnover, and lack of respect. There is absolutely no room for advancement unless you know someone. Politics runs the company
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
Everything else
I am a dedicated hard worker.
Intl./ Dom Freight Logistics (Former Employee) –  Fenton MOApril 24, 2015
Appreciating an employee or co-worker is just as important as achieving good customer service.
The hardest part of job is to explain to customer why their expectation can not be met due to uncontrollable issue.
The most enjoyable part of job was being successful in a very challenging situation or expectation from customer.
Pros
Holiday Pay, Vacation &/or Comp days, Health Benefits, 401K, Advancement
Cons
Lack of Health Benefits or advancement.
Do not work here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 12, 2014
Do not work here. I had a temp to hire position here and the bottom line is they do not support their employees; everyone has been there for 100 years and no changes are taking place. Everyone is stuck on 33 rpm. Very outdated and very political. I can see this company closing their doors within the next 5 years. No mentoring whatsoever, a very outdated work environment and salary is a joke.
Worst place I ever worked
Relocation Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MONovember 7, 2014
Too many managers, not enough worker bees. Don't believe in their open door policy, they will make sure to go cover up what really happened and make you go away. Pay is horrible, benefits ok.
An unfortunate lack of focus where the rubber meets the road.
Contractor (Owner/Operator) (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOAugust 21, 2013
As a former contractor, I experienced a lack of support when trying to live up to corporate expectations. During the busy season (summer), the labor was horrible, and that presented a problem with quality control. Often times, I'd come to find that a shuttle was necessary, which should have been determined by the designated agent. They were also deceitful when posting big line hauls, that shouldn't have included an escrow amount. Then, there were the claims! No matter how good I wrote my descriptive inventory, and handled the customers goods, the corporate account customers were always right when it came to a scratch or a ding. Of course, that ruins a driver's performance record, and eventually you lose the opportunity to haul good loads.
I know this sounds like a lot of griping, and other large moving companies are probably the same way. Nevertheless, I brought these matters directly to Unigroup executives, and I suggested how they might fix those problems, but each time I did, I got no response, except for some sympathetic head shakes and shoulder shrugs. There's an old saying; "don't defficate where you eat," and that is my final suggestion to Unigroup, Inc.
Pros
Sharing stories with people, and traveling throughout the land.
Cons
A lack of respect from colleagues, and unpleasant surprises on settlement statements.
Enjoyable work environment and employee appreciation
Government Transportation Department (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOJune 13, 2013
I worked here temporarily and really enjoyed it. When I left, I missed it! I got a sense of the culture and work environment (and benefits) during my time there - I would view it as an ideal place to work in the area.
Pros
On-site gym, cafeteria, overall positive employer/employee attitude, regular hours