Unilever Employee Reviews

Productive workplace and enjoyable most of the time.
Distribution Coordinator/Planner (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 25, 2015
Company has a good working environment most of the time. Most co-workers are great to work with. As with other companies, there are also some red tapes and politics. Since most of the workers have been with the company for years, there is hardly any room for promotion. In general, this is still a good company to work for. It's just that our Sunnyvale, CA facility had to close down as it had to move to Kansas.
Pros
Employee benefits such as purchasing Unilever products at discounted prices.
Cons
No room for movements or promotions.
Great company, massive impact
Organizational Development Specialist - Europe (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2016
I loved working for Unilever, the work environment is very friendly, yet the work expectations high. The people are kind and thoughtful and the vision of the current CEO just inspiring. The resources and tools I had access to were top notch.
Pros
Work life balance, Inspiring vision and business model, Sustainability
Cons
Very complex and at times, work in silos. Middle management not spending enough time developing management
Unilever was also fun place to work at. There was opportunity for advancement for young scientists, which was based on performance.
Senior Development Chemist and Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILSeptember 23, 2016
Unilever was my first job. I began in Q.C. since there were no openings in R&D. However, the learning form my Q.C. experience helped me more effectively commercialize products that I developed as member of R&D group. I had the opportunity to work on consumer products related to both skin and hair. For my advancement, I was given the opportunity to take a substantial number of professional courses, which helped me advance my career. This additional knowledge also benefitted the company, because I was able to develop more advanced and innovative products, which met/ exceeded consumer needs and expectations.
Pros
Opportunity to learn, advance and get promoted. People and culture was great.
Cons
Overall benefits, physical environment was deplorable
Good people. Fun environment. Specific location was a little stuck in its ways. The rest of the company appeared to better at this.
Senior Process Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lisle, ILFebruary 6, 2016
Typical work day varied due to my position and the travel my projects required. GREAT people to work both directly and indirectly. GREAT work/life balance, but I had good managers. I will say, some managers were not as flexible with their groups as they should have allowed. Mine did a fantastic job with this for the most part, but other managers did not focus on results enough. Too much worry about work style/approach/fear of their low performers making them look bad.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the general work environment (meaning people, offices, and work/life balance). The hardest part is gaining opportunities to both improve skills and to be promoted.

Overall, I have found the experience positive and certainly worth the years I have spent here.
Money making potential...but NO outside life.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOSeptember 20, 2016
I was hired here just 6 months ago being told that the work schedule was a 12 hour day with 3 days on & 4 off one week & then 4 days on & 3 off the next. Occasional overtime would be posted to cover vacations & such as needed. This was an outright lie. Yes we do work 12 hours, may be forced to a 16 hour shift with almost no notice & you get 1 day off on a long week & 2 non consecutive days off on the short week. I work anywhere between 60 & 80 hours each week. This has taken a severe toll on my family life & health. The work itself isn't too bad but the hours & no set time off make it impossible to do anything but go to work.
Pros
The job itself isn't that taxing
Cons
Constantly short staffed. It is intended. That is the business model.
Big Let Down
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJune 2, 2016
Read many great reviews about this company. Was excited about the opportunity. Found out quickly you have NO life. They work you 60 hours a week. Weekends and holidays. After a few weeks all the people that were hired and in my orientation class were all called in and told our services were no longer needed. No warning given. No real reason given. These large companies don't seem to care that we have families to feed and take care of. It was a VERY lengthy process they put you through to get hired, only to last 6 weeks was a HUGE waste to me. Now I have to start the process of finding employment somewhere else, which can be a grueling process.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long hours {12}, weekends, holidays, and tons of overtime. Laid off after a few weeks.
Productive environment with excellent work/life balance; able to telecommute to some degree.
Program & Portfolio Analyst - ETS (Current Employee) –  Trumbull, CTSeptember 11, 2016
Until upper/senior management (Port Sunlight - UK) made the decision to transition all North American IT positions oversees, this was a wonderful team to work with. My team was located globally and we worked extremely well together, even within different time zones and projects. It is sad for us to be broken up as a team; I feel our North and South American customers and vendors may suffer the loss.
Pros
Excellent work/life balance and benefits package
Cons
Job security
safe and fun place to work
Wrapper Operator (Former Employee) –  Sikeston, MOJanuary 26, 2016
I learned alot about machines and how to troubleshoot problems. I learned how to be safe while doing so.This team was on a new line so working with management to make a better line was very important. I loved all my coworkers. And the hardest part of this job was working all night and sleeping all day. I loved this jib so much and wished I could have worked the third shift better at that time in my life. But my children were small and it did not work out working thirds.
Pros
Got a profit share check on new product sales.
Cons
Work third shift for years and years before getting on days.
Great benefits
Filler Operator (Former Employee) –  Covington, TNSeptember 2, 2016
I was one of the lead filler operators. There is a lot of Diversity at unilever. We were like family, we mainly all got along. We had "shift hand offs" everyday, between every shift. Communications was very important. Unilever could have done a little bit better on supervisors that a little bit more knowledgeable about our plant, which is the largest ice cream factory in the world. I enjoyed keeping everyone safe because safety and quality go hand in hand.
Pros
Vacation days, holiday pay and some weekends off.
Cons
15 minute smoke breaks
Management doesnt listen to employees
Bulk Handler-Puree (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYNovember 7, 2015
Learned various jobs when I was there, but instead of updating the old kitchens, they ripped everything out and built one big kitchen. I was sexually harassed by my team leader, bullied by management for drug tests for no reason.

Besides that, the associates of the plant were the best people you would ever want to have your back. the most giving family of workers I have proudly been able to call my home away from home.
Pros
Good wages, associates
Cons
Management, benefits
Effective teamwork and enjoyable environment
R&D Specification Specialist (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Englewood Cliffs, NJSeptember 4, 2016
People work together and effectively communicate as a team to meet deadlines. Teams have lunch together, which give us a break and to talk about non work related topics to get to know one another better. Mangers do a great job with flexible scheduling and making sure people know their role in the team.
The company store is a great perk to working for Unilever.
Pros
Company Store
Cons
Contract position
good learning experience
Senior Associate Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood Cliffs, NJMay 8, 2016
It is a great learning experience for anyone who wants to get the classical CPG training. Lots of well-known brands with decent budget to work on. Lots of smart people at director and VP levels to learn from.

Work/Life balance is typical of east coast CPG companies, which is 2 star at best. You will be pushed to deliver a large amount of work. Again, good learning experience but not sustainable.

Decent opportunity for movement/advancement at middle management level due to the size of the business, but it is significantly more difficult to move up from there.
Great Place to Grow your career
Deductions Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Shelton, CTMay 7, 2016
Unilever invests in their employees. Over my 25 years there they have provided me with endless opportunity to enhance my skillset. They focus on Standards of Leadership skills and encourage personal development. The best part of the job is the people and they make the hardest part of the job very manageable. I was very proud to be part of a team (26 in all) that worked well and supported one another. It's a fast pace environment and the business need is insatiable but you are surrounded by very talented and committed co-workers and you know you can get the job done.
great job
sr automation engineer (Current Employee) –  Covington, TNMay 28, 2016
Great place to work, good atmosphere generally
too many meetings for my liking. Very inexperienced management crew. the top management is very capable.
the techs are very capable and will do just about anything I ask of them. Hardest part of the job is getting called in on breakdowns at 2:00am or on the weekends due to lack of techs.
Best part of the job is the ice cream.
Pros
good benifits, free ice cream, climate controlled, clean and safe
Cons
too many meetings, sometimes they would rather talk about it rather than fix the problem
Great place location not so good
Technician, Stability2009-Current (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTMay 5, 2016
Typical work day, I would prepare samples for stability testing, Evaluate samples and enter data into system. Order supplies for lab an office area. Set up all meetings for the team as well as take note and send out actions to co workers.
Management some good some not so good. Goes with the territory of life. Same for co workers.
The hardest part of my job, working with people who were not team players. I could count on one person who was consistent.
Most enjoyable part of job was celebrating others....
Pros
good people I met log the way
Cons
short breaks
A company that you could retire from.
Shift Assembler, Machine Operator, Line Service (Former Employee) –  Clinton, CTSeptember 11, 2016
I started at Unilever when the company was still owned by Chesebrough-Ponds. It was a family company, most of my family had at one time worked there. Like most companies if you want to advance your career you can. I started working on the assembly lines and retired as a Maintenance Control Clerk.
Pros
Great company to work for, great benefits
Cons
Plant closed down.
Great company to work for.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 11, 2016
Ever changing and growing. I started when this company was quit small. I was part of the growth and gained knowledge of the equipment and processes as they came in. I worked with Project Engineers and Tech staff when new lines came in and helped with the development of SOP's and training of operators for the equipment. It was very stimulating and fast paced.
Pros
Good pay, benefits and people.
Cons
Because we only produced 30% of Unilever Brands, in 2009 they decided to move thier brands to sister plants and close our location down.
Fast paced Manufacturing Environment
Master Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Covington, TNAugust 19, 2016
This job is what you make it. I have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience. Some days are better than most. Most enjoyable part of the job--the system that I worked on SAP. Hardest part of job--working with Management--everyone has their own agenda.
Pros
Good benefits for Salaried employees, not so many for hourly
Cons
no onsite gym or cafeteria at this site
Well compensated job, just untrustworthy coworkers!
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Raeford, NCJuly 5, 2016
It's a lot a work, but you are paid well. I just don't personally like working somewhere that I have to watch my back for coworkers snitching about every little thing. Having to worry about if I'm going to have my job in a week. Aside from untrustworthy coworkers, it isn't a horrible place to work. The benefits are great and the company as a whole is pretty great!!!
Great place and lots of fun to work there
Senior Messaging Engineer (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTMay 31, 2016
Support 2003 2010 exchange messaging systems.
Check on blackberry server
Do a daily morning check of all systems
check for DMP Backup completions
Check for Corrupted Mailbox Database if failover then restore
Check message queues
Check CAs servers for active connections
Check content index issues and resolve
Resolve ticket via remedy queue
Pros
Travel was great
Cons
All jobs were outsourced to India

4.2