Unilever Employee Reviews in United States

Productive workplace and enjoyable most of the time.
Distribution Coordinator/Planner (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 25, 2015
Company has a good working environment most of the time. Most co-workers are great to work with. As with other companies, there are also some red tapes and politics. Since most of the workers have been with the company for years, there is hardly any room for promotion. In general, this is still a good company to work for. It's just that our Sunnyvale, CA facility had to close down as it had to move to Kansas.
Pros
Employee benefits such as purchasing Unilever products at discounted prices.
Cons
No room for movements or promotions.
Great company, massive impact
Organizational Development Specialist - Europe (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2016
I loved working for Unilever, the work environment is very friendly, yet the work expectations high. The people are kind and thoughtful and the vision of the current CEO just inspiring. The resources and tools I had access to were top notch.
Pros
Work life balance, Inspiring vision and business model, Sustainability
Cons
Very complex and at times, work in silos. Middle management not spending enough time developing management
Good people. Fun environment. Specific location was a little stuck in its ways. The rest of the company appeared to better at this.
Senior Process Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lisle, ILFebruary 6, 2016
Typical work day varied due to my position and the travel my projects required. GREAT people to work both directly and indirectly. GREAT work/life balance, but I had good managers. I will say, some managers were not as flexible with their groups as they should have allowed. Mine did a fantastic job with this for the most part, but other managers did not focus on results enough. Too much worry about work style/approach/fear of their low performers making them look bad.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the general work environment (meaning people, offices, and work/life balance). The hardest part is gaining opportunities to both improve skills and to be promoted.

Overall, I have found the experience positive and certainly worth the years I have spent here.
Management doesnt listen to employees
Bulk Handler-Puree (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYNovember 7, 2015
Learned various jobs when I was there, but instead of updating the old kitchens, they ripped everything out and built one big kitchen. I was sexually harassed by my team leader, bullied by management for drug tests for no reason.

Besides that, the associates of the plant were the best people you would ever want to have your back. the most giving family of workers I have proudly been able to call my home away from home.
Pros
Good wages, associates
Cons
Management, benefits
safe and fun place to work
Wrapper Operator (Former Employee) –  Sikeston, MOJanuary 26, 2016
I learned alot about machines and how to troubleshoot problems. I learned how to be safe while doing so.This team was on a new line so working with management to make a better line was very important. I loved all my coworkers. And the hardest part of this job was working all night and sleeping all day. I loved this jib so much and wished I could have worked the third shift better at that time in my life. But my children were small and it did not work out working thirds.
Pros
Got a profit share check on new product sales.
Cons
Work third shift for years and years before getting on days.
Worked over 12 yrs with the company and will still be there if it did not closed
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 10, 2015
Worked M-F and minimum weekends.
Turn over at the plant manager and middle management was high, but a strong hourly work force kept the facility running smoothly.
Executive managers level trusted in me as the interim plant manager and run my department.
The biggest challenge was the communications between the HQs in the east coast.
Pros
401k, salary
Cons
Capital allocation was small
Good training ground for US marketing
Director (Former Employee) –  Englewood Cliffs, NJNovember 10, 2015
Great place to start your career in brand management. Hands on experience developing and implementing marketing and business plans on big brands in the US market.

Company is continuing to reduce the global brand management teams in the US - moving to Asia or UK.
Pros
Great brands
Cons
Little to no global brand experience left
Fun place to work with supportive management.
Technical Operator (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MONovember 10, 2015
Working for a company that distributes products and can be seen on a daily basis at your local stores makes you feel good about what you are making. This also makes your enthusiasm to keep quality at a high because its your signature basically by number on every bottle. Having an amazing group of people to work with daily is also a great benefit with this company. There is always laughter along with dedication to produce high and good quality products. I wouldn't consider anything about this employment as hard. It is very well operated and inspiring to continually learn more advance methods of procedures.
Pros
Excellent Company benefits with extra incentives.
Cons
Twelve hour shifts can become very long over time.
Excellent Company to work for
Operations Excellence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Englewood Cliffs, NJDecember 30, 2015
My experience with Unilever was most satisfying. The company has high regard for its employees and provide an excellent opportunity for work/life balance. Unilever provided its employees with a vast amount of training opportunities both online and classroom. The hardest part of the job was leaving it; the most enjoyable part of the job was having been given the opportunity to freely provide input on improving the processes of my position.
Big Let Down
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJune 2, 2016
Read many great reviews about this company. Was excited about the opportunity. Found out quickly you have NO life. They work you 60 hours a week. Weekends and holidays. After a few weeks all the people that were hired and in my orientation class were all called in and told our services were no longer needed. No warning given. No real reason given. These large companies don't seem to care that we have families to feed and take care of. It was a VERY lengthy process they put you through to get hired, only to last 6 weeks was a HUGE waste to me. Now I have to start the process of finding employment somewhere else, which can be a grueling process.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long hours {12}, weekends, holidays, and tons of overtime. Laid off after a few weeks.
Finance Business Partner, Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Lagos, GUNovember 16, 2015
Great place to work and a company with a very high performance culture. Huge opportunities for career growth and development.
Pros
free lunch and company product pack
Cons
health care, pension
Unilever is a very productive working environment
Pre-weigh Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARFebruary 15, 2016
I have been with Unilever going on 3 years. Unilever is a very productive working environment and follows strict guide lines for safety at all times. The company offers excellent benefits.
Great Place to Grow your career
Deductions Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Shelton, CTMay 7, 2016
Unilever invests in their employees. Over my 25 years there they have provided me with endless opportunity to enhance my skillset. They focus on Standards of Leadership skills and encourage personal development. The best part of the job is the people and they make the hardest part of the job very manageable. I was very proud to be part of a team (26 in all) that worked well and supported one another. It's a fast pace environment and the business need is insatiable but you are surrounded by very talented and committed co-workers and you know you can get the job done.
good learning experience
Senior Associate Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood Cliffs, NJMay 8, 2016
It is a great learning experience for anyone who wants to get the classical CPG training. Lots of well-known brands with decent budget to work on. Lots of smart people at director and VP levels to learn from.

Work/Life balance is typical of east coast CPG companies, which is 2 star at best. You will be pushed to deliver a large amount of work. Again, good learning experience but not sustainable.

Decent opportunity for movement/advancement at middle management level due to the size of the business, but it is significantly more difficult to move up from there.
Great place location not so good
Technician, Stability2009-Current (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTMay 5, 2016
Typical work day, I would prepare samples for stability testing, Evaluate samples and enter data into system. Order supplies for lab an office area. Set up all meetings for the team as well as take note and send out actions to co workers.
Management some good some not so good. Goes with the territory of life. Same for co workers.
The hardest part of my job, working with people who were not team players. I could count on one person who was consistent.
Most enjoyable part of job was celebrating others....
Pros
good people I met log the way
Cons
short breaks
Interesting positions with great exposure
Associate Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 13, 2016
Unilever offers interesting positions that give you exposure to many different areas and top management. You are given considerable latitude to pursue your own course of.action and actively encouraged to take the initiative.
Casual but hard working environment
Customer Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood Cliffs, NJFebruary 9, 2016
Solid global company to work for with opportunity for global advancement.

Diversity of workforce

Breath of brands

Socially responsible
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
Turnover
Great company to work for.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 11, 2016
Ever changing and growing. I started when this company was quit small. I was part of the growth and gained knowledge of the equipment and processes as they came in. I worked with Project Engineers and Tech staff when new lines came in and helped with the development of SOP's and training of operators for the equipment. It was very stimulating and fast paced.
Pros
Good pay, benefits and people.
Cons
Because we only produced 30% of Unilever Brands, in 2009 they decided to move thier brands to sister plants and close our location down.
great job
sr automation engineer (Current Employee) –  Covington, TNMay 28, 2016
Great place to work, good atmosphere generally
too many meetings for my liking. Very inexperienced management crew. the top management is very capable.
the techs are very capable and will do just about anything I ask of them. Hardest part of the job is getting called in on breakdowns at 2:00am or on the weekends due to lack of techs.
Best part of the job is the ice cream.
Pros
good benifits, free ice cream, climate controlled, clean and safe
Cons
too many meetings, sometimes they would rather talk about it rather than fix the problem
People people people!
Associate Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARMarch 7, 2016
Extremely talented, diverse and driven employees. Passion for driving change. Very sustainability focused. Broad exposure to many functions of business. Difficult track to management.

4.2