Unimin Corporation

Unimin Corporation Employee Reviews

Unimin has great healt benifits
Production (Current Employee) –  HephzibahJuly 21, 2015
Unimin is a great place to work but does not promote like most companies and the moral is very low because the management shows to much favoritism for they buddy system.
Pros
Great insurance
Cons
Doesn't give the employees that are qualified a chance to advance
Productive and fun workplace.
Lead Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, WAApril 16, 2015
A typical day would be the constant crushing of the mineral Olivine into different grades of rock or sand for sale. I learned how to monitor a mineral crushing plant and minor maintenance to keep the plant running consistently. Management was helpful and a great part of the team. I enjoyed all my co-workers and learned a lot from them. The job was very physical but rewarding.
Pros
Multitude of paid day offs and 10-12 hour shifts 4 days a week, great pay.
good company
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Marston, NCFebruary 9, 2015
good company to work for.

nice people, decent hours, and decent compensation

overall i like it

nice environment to work in
Great place to work, good pay and benefits
Purchasing/Warehousing/Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gleason, TNDecember 15, 2014
Researched pricing and took inventory, ordered necessary items
Learned to be proactive, management very cooperative, co-workers were great. Hardest part of job saying no to vendors. Finding a vendor who could supply particular product at a substatial savings.
Pros
regular bonues, lunches, etc
Cons
sometimes long hours needed
A very good company to work for.
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Bakersville, NCDecember 12, 2014
Unimim Corp. is one of the best companies I have had the pleasure working for. I learned quite a lot working there from rebuilding different types of machinery to setting of large pieces of equipment. All my co-workers were great to work with.
Great compant, family oriented
Freight Accountant (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  New Canaan, CTDecember 10, 2014
The perfect place for a parent to work. Friendly environment
Pros
great benefits
A lot of work with a lot of very knowledgeable employees
TEMPORARY FIELD ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ILOctober 16, 2014
I like working for Unimin, I learn something new everyday and I have learned about a lot of different aspects of the mining industry. I have been to over 10 different mines and have worked with glass and frac sand along with clay.
Recognition & Opportunity
Production & Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Two in NC, One in TN and One in CASeptember 12, 2014
I worked 8 years as an hourly employee with no aspirations to move into the salaried workforce, didn't think it was even possible as the company had replaced former high school or less supervisors with those with a college degree.

I did my job above and beyond what was required, and after owning the 3 local operations for 9 years I was the first hourly employee offered a production & shipping supervisor position. After learning all the requirements and the rest of the operation in the first year I was reassigned to the new plant startup team in the next county. After that was completed I wanted to be nearer my ailing parents and was allowed to move to a recently acquired operation where I assisted in making numerous improvements. After parents died I choose to move to another acquisition in northern California.
Pros
opportunity to advance
Cons
sometimes needed changes to some operations came too slowly
past job
lab tech (Former Employee) –  Gordon, GAMarch 2, 2014
worked 21 years for this company, JM HUBER IS A GOOD COMPANY.Did different jobs
Good
Senior BI Programmer /Administrator (Former Employee) –  New CannanNovember 27, 2013
Good place to work. Very nice co-workers.

Days work
support calls
developmental tasks
This is very family oriented company and a low key environment to work in
Lead Support technician Level I & II (Current Employee) –  New Canaan, CTNovember 26, 2013
A typical day is comprised of 3 of us covering a Helpdesk for about 100 in house employees and in several locations across the US & Canada. I have not learned much while here but have been able to apply my knowledge to my group from past experiences. The hardest part of my job is not being to perform and handle tasks in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is the joy I get from fixing an end-users PC and seeing the joy on their face.
Pros
great people to support
Cons
lack of growth and or cross training
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Unimin.
Mining & Minerals Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Spruce Pine, NCAugust 26, 2013
My time at Unimin was very enjoyable and allowed me to learn and develop many skills. Most of the management was very accessible and worked well with the hourly workers.
Loved and enjoyed my job with many different duties for 10 out of 13 years at Unimin.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Canaan, CTJuly 15, 2013
For 10 years management was the best and brightest. Unfortunately experience is under appreciated and youth is celebrated. Had many wonderful co-workers, others not so much.
Pros
live close to office, healthcare benefits
Great benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  New Canaan, CTJanuary 15, 2013
Overall a great company to work for. It has great benefits but compensation seems to be low. Culture and values are not so high but the company tries to do the right thing but usually after the fact. Job security is excellent but advancement is low with almost no option for latteral movement. Mostly new management that are on a learning curve. Very liberal with time off and almost nobody works past 5 pm so excellent work life balance.
Talented Engineers and Great People
Project Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNJanuary 2, 2013
I enjoyed learning from every employee that I came in contact with during my internship.
good company good job
Utility Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleburne, TXSeptember 28, 2012
Operated Equipment, Maintenance and mechanical work, filled in for other workers on sick days and vacations
Great place to work!!
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILJuly 25, 2012
Great place to work!! Great coworkers, supervisors and benefits!
Great Place
Plant Secretary/Regional Administrator (Former Employee) –  Marston, NCJuly 23, 2012
Unimin was great place to work. Great values and committed to the environment & community.