Unimin Corporation Employee Reviews

Laid off
Operator (Former Employee) –  Le Sueur, MNNovember 19, 2016
Favorite job so far... until I(and a lot of other guys) got laid off. Lots of hours. Lots of opportunity for overtime. Pay and benefits were superior to any other job I've ever had. Met quite a few nice people there.
Hard Working Company with Employees in mind
Mining Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Utica, ILOctober 27, 2016
Unimin is one of the few remaining privately held companies which allows itself to focus on company needs rather then stock holders. Good company to work for with great pay and benefits.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Short staffed
productive and many oppurtunities
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Hephzibah, GAOctober 25, 2016
8-12 Hours a day
how to load productive safely
management is helpful and al3ays listens to concerns
hardest is time adjustments when needed to stay over or come in at a later time
best part of the job always room to work more hours when you desire them
like working for this company good guys
Utility Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, MNSeptember 13, 2016
always have something to do enjoyed the people I worked with and also the supervisors. We bring are own lunch but a few times a year they would bring in lunch or breakfast
Pros
pd lunch
Cons
lots of hours
Overall Positive
Procurement Agent (Former Employee) –  New Canaan, CTAugust 15, 2016
Nice people, difficult management. Not much room for growth. Relatively easy job, limited stress. Decent work life balance.
Great place
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Dividing Creek, NJAugust 8, 2016
nice people great company busy and a lot of overtime close to home
Very safe pace work and they care great pay.
Supervisors a great wel trained and the task training is very well done,
Pros
salary
Cons
shift work
Not a place for serious long term employment.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Guion, ARAugust 6, 2016
Job pays well and has good benefits.
Learned metal fabrication while here so that is a bonus.
Enjoyed the co-workers.
The hardest part of the job was frankly...days where there was no real work to do or having to repair outdoor things during the winter.

Looking for other employment because of the following.
Management needs improved on.
Dislike working outdoors in winter.
Work day can typically be too sedentary for me.
Don't see real opportunities for self improvement and advancement.
Good solid company
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  New Canaan, CTJuly 22, 2016
Overall a good company. Benefits are very good. Subsidized lunches make eating in New Canaan, CT affordable. The town is great and everyone enjoys an hr lunch if work load is not too heavy. Overtime is offered is you are nonexempt employee.
Pros
Subsidized lunches, New Cannan Town
Cons
Answering Service for Energy Team
Administrator/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Benwood, WVApril 25, 2016
Management was great very understanding, helpful and encouraging, helped work with me when i needed unexpected days off they work well with all employees and treat everyone fair which is rare. They were very encouraging and treated all of us with respect and made all of us feel good about our position and that together we do make a difference.
Pros
Cons
Room for employment and wages.
Not the same company it was 2 years ago
Marketing Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Canaan, CTMarch 8, 2016
Things have changed drastically at Unimin over the last two years. The industry has changed a lot. Good health care benefits.
Number 1 mineral producer in the world.
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Tunnel City, WIFebruary 14, 2016
How a typical day starts is with your management team giving you a safety meeting. Safety is the number one objective with this company. The most important thing to this company is making sure you go home to your family at the end of the day. The management team give you the pass on of what complications occurred and what was done to correct the situation. Working in such a technologically advanced place there are many situation calls. Situation calls are either from plant operators or equipment operators. During that time you would collect information from the call and decided the remedy of cure of the problem. This would included safeguarding equipment from further damage. I enjoy the wide learning and troubleshooting that comes with my job and the team i am put with. The hardest part of the job is working nights but i have found the way to adapt.
Pros
Safety, diverse learning, on job training.
Cons
scheduling, favortitism
Stable company with possibility for advancement. Great medical benefits, 401K match subsidized gym membership. Health and Safety are very big at Uni
Human Resources Office Support Administrator (Former Employee) –  New Canaan, CTJanuary 22, 2016
Busy environment that required multi tasking. Good co-workers that I enjoyed working with. I am a people person and enjoyed greeting visitors signing for packages and running the mail room.
Unimin has great healt benifits
Production (Current Employee) –  HephzibahJuly 21, 2015
Unimin is a great place to work but does not promote like most companies and the moral is very low because the management shows to much favoritism for they buddy system.
Pros
Great insurance
Cons
Doesn't give the employees that are qualified a chance to advance
Productive and fun workplace.
Lead Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, WAApril 16, 2015
A typical day would be the constant crushing of the mineral Olivine into different grades of rock or sand for sale. I learned how to monitor a mineral crushing plant and minor maintenance to keep the plant running consistently. Management was helpful and a great part of the team. I enjoyed all my co-workers and learned a lot from them. The job was very physical but rewarding.
Pros
Multitude of paid day offs and 10-12 hour shifts 4 days a week, great pay.
good company
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Marston, NCFebruary 9, 2015
good company to work for.

nice people, decent hours, and decent compensation

overall i like it

nice environment to work in
Great place to work, good pay and benefits
Purchasing/Warehousing/Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gleason, TNDecember 15, 2014
Researched pricing and took inventory, ordered necessary items
Learned to be proactive, management very cooperative, co-workers were great. Hardest part of job saying no to vendors. Finding a vendor who could supply particular product at a substatial savings.
Pros
Regular bonues, lunches, etc
Cons
Sometimes long hours needed
A very good company to work for.
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Bakersville, NCDecember 12, 2014
Unimim Corp. is one of the best companies I have had the pleasure working for. I learned quite a lot working there from rebuilding different types of machinery to setting of large pieces of equipment. All my co-workers were great to work with.
Great compant, family oriented
Freight Accountant (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  New Canaan, CTDecember 10, 2014
The perfect place for a parent to work. Friendly environment
Pros
great benefits
A lot of work with a lot of very knowledgeable employees
TEMPORARY FIELD ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ILOctober 16, 2014
I like working for Unimin, I learn something new everyday and I have learned about a lot of different aspects of the mining industry. I have been to over 10 different mines and have worked with glass and frac sand along with clay.
Recognition & Opportunity
Production & Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Two in NC, One in TN and One in CASeptember 12, 2014
I worked 8 years as an hourly employee with no aspirations to move into the salaried workforce, didn't think it was even possible as the company had replaced former high school or less supervisors with those with a college degree.

I did my job above and beyond what was required, and after owning the 3 local operations for 9 years I was the first hourly employee offered a production & shipping supervisor position. After learning all the requirements and the rest of the operation in the first year I was reassigned to the new plant startup team in the next county. After that was completed I wanted to be nearer my ailing parents and was allowed to move to a recently acquired operation where I assisted in making numerous improvements. After parents died I choose to move to another acquisition in northern California.
Pros
Opportunity to advance
Cons
Sometimes needed changes to some operations came too slowly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unimin Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2