Union Bank Employee Reviews

Worst place to work at, would not recommend
Sr relationship banker (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CANovember 13, 2017
Cut throat sales agreesive wells fargo jr, nepotism, cronyism gaming and customer stealing among bankers was common. Did not treat hispanic employees the same as the other staff. Outdated technology affected customet service, took over 30 minutes for simple account maintenance. Not enough staff, bankers coerced to do operations, sales goals unattainable.
Benefits
Cons
Bank is goin down hill fast
Good company to work at, very mundane though
Securities Lending Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 7, 2017
In the division I worked in Union Bank was an older crowd and everyone was very process driven and little innovation available. Most people were content to do their job and go home.
Micro Managed and Inconsistent Direction/instruction
Wholesale Mortgage Underwriter III (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 6, 2017
Union Bank Wholesale Mortgage Division I believe is managed differently than other departments at the bank. It is highly intense as all loans are 100% manually underwritten and the tools provided are not up to date and what is provided is not user friendly and is confusing. Even when you go to a supervisor for assistance, they have difficulty explaining or providing the information.

There were many issues with "playing favorites" and while they listen to concerns, they do not act on them which makes it very frustrating when you give 100% dedication to the company, but they only give 75% to the employee.
Uncomfortable
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hundred, WVOctober 30, 2017
The people currently working there have been there for a long time, so they are stuck in their ways and hard to get along with. They make the culture a little uncomfortable and it can be frustrating and stressful.
Family oriented
Senior Communications Asst (Current Employee) –  Columbus Grove, OHOctober 29, 2017
Professional atmosphere that understands family obligations. I have enjoyed working for this company. It is a fast paced environment and must be able to multitask.
Overworked
Branch Manager, Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 29, 2017
Union Bank is been making lots of changes over the past few years which has impacted the employees for the worse. No staffing, burnt out employees, low morale. Upper management continues to pressure its employees to meet their sale goals while not having sufficient staffing to function. The stress levels are at an all time high and Union Bank has been losing many great employees. There are many openings and they are not being filled as Union Bank no longer has the reputation it once had.
Pros
Forced to wear several hats and creates you to be well balanced in your knowledge.
Cons
Over worked, low morale, burnt out employees and no work life balance.
Great Job
Teller (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAOctober 27, 2017
With the time I was here it was a great job. There is a lot to learn, but with the workload, it is easy to catch on. Just make sure you can hold your own. If you are willing to work in a fast-paced environment then this the job for you. There is room for always room to improve your skills. Training is great and can ask as many questions. There are days when there is a line to the door and other time there is not a soul in sight. With the way technology is going this job may be downsized so always be prepared for change and prepare yourself. Make sure you learn something new every day so that when the option comes to downsize they won't be looking at you. Other than that this is a great job with room to grow.
It is a bank
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Marion, OHOctober 25, 2017
we cash checks, deposit money, count money, talk to customers, sell products, have meetings, stand on our feet hours at a time have lunch and listen to music
Wells Fargo Jr.
Sr Relationship Banking Officer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 25, 2017
Cut throat sales, poor and biased management, hostile work environment, stressful sales culture, discriminating management. The clients were great, however, the management put the employees under tremendous pressure to sell even if people didn't ask for a product. Often people had to work late to make telemarketing calls to people during the dinner hour. The manager often raised his voice and made unprofessional comments. I would never recommend working for Union Bank from my experience there.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
High stress, cut throat, and unprofessional management
Balance work and life
Vice President / Private Banker (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAOctober 23, 2017
UB was a great company to work at. It fosters a great work working environment with balanced expectations. I wouldn't have left if it not for company restructuring.
Excellent advancement opportunity
BRANCH SERIVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 21, 2017
Really amazing job and advancement opportunity. Love the job and would stay if i didn't have to relocate. Really great managers that can teach you a lot and just want you to advance in your position. Really flexible with scheduling.
Judgemental
Remittance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAOctober 20, 2017
A typical day at work for me was stressful. It was also someone talking bad about other staff members and saying racial slurs. Management was confusing for me because I never get to see my manager she "manage" staff over a email and also goes by "hearsay" if its a issue within the office.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes
Cons
Negative people
Great people and work environment
Branch Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 19, 2017
Heavy sales goals and not really any Branch level advancement.
Teller or banker that's your only two options basically.
The people in the higher positions will be there until they retire so there's not room for promotion
Great place, lack of opportunity to advance career
Teller (Former Employee) –  San Clemente, CAOctober 15, 2017
You have to wait one year at your current role and branch before you are considered for a promotion. Also, annual review must be at meets/exceeding expectations to advance, which isn't difficult to do. Unfortunately, because of the timing of my hire and the annual review, I had to wait 18 months to be considered for a promotion and I was offered one only after I found a job elsewhere.
Pros
Great benefits, above average pay
Cons
Slow career advancement
Bank Is Changing
Branch Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Villa Park, CAOctober 11, 2017
It was a fun, rewarding place to work at. Unfortunately the dynamic is constantly changing & are looking to go towards more of a self service feel. That makes it hard to grow.
Benefits
Cons
No room to grow.
stressful no technology
Senior Relationship Banker (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAOctober 11, 2017
people are a mixed bag. just as any place some good some bad.
technology is outdated. management is old fashioned. no back office help. company is downsizing
Fast paced
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  San Clemente, CAOctober 9, 2017
Cut throat manager at the San Clemente office made it extremely stressful for staff and customers on a daily basis. He would be-little employees as well as customers in the lobby. Training was hard to attend due to branches being short staffed on an ongoing basis. The bank as a whole was a good company to work for but as an employee for several years, I felt like a number and unappreciated or valued.
Pros
customers were great
Cons
management
Good to their employees
SENIOR TELLER (Former Employee) –  Laguna HillsOctober 5, 2017
Responsible for balancing general ledgers on a daily basis and for ordering cash for both the branch and ATM machine.
Processed deposits, withdrawals, loan payments and accepted wires. Also, assisted in balancing branch, vault and cash machine on a daily basis.
Assisted in cash shipments of foreign currency, interacted with other branches and departments and handled large amounts of cash from our merchants,
Wide knowledge of retail banking operations and associated regulations.
Handling of all teller issues and researching customer issues.
Responsible for the training of all new hires.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
short staffed
Good place to work if you find the right manager
Branch Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  August, CAOctober 3, 2017
The problem with working at Union Bank was that there are many talented workers under unskilled managers. I have worked under two managers who showed me a lot and helped me advance to the next position. Once I got there, I was over qualified and held back by the next manager. I transferred from my first position because I was promised to move into a manger position. I worked in the operations side for over 6 months without a manager and they outsourced the position instead of training me to become the manager like I was promised. I enjoyed the challenges of trying to figure people's problems and educating them on what options they had. I really enjoyed the whole job except for the two managers who tried to take my credit instead of helping me expand my career.
Pros
free checking account
Cons
some managers made their own inconvenient scheduales. Some which were also illegal.
Great Work Environment
Verification Teller (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 30, 2017
Enjoyed working at Union Bank because of the customers, management and coworkers were great. Union Bank is excellent to there customer and getting to know them on a first name personal basis was nice and made the customers comfortable to come in to the same branch and be treated like family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Bank. Our community is ready to answer.