Union College Employee Reviews

Excellet Resources
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJune 26, 2016
Performing research at Union College is great: the campus is beautiful, the facilities are top notch, and there are plenty of very qualified personnel to assist.

If there is space for improvement, I would encourage more funding or support for research efforts. Housing and meal plans would be a great help, because the compensation for research is modest to begin with.
Pros
Scientific Facilities, Professors, and Campus
Cons
Funding and Support
All things Audio and Video
Electronic Media Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Barbourville, KYJuly 20, 2016
Manage and operate a large scope of technical video and audio equipment in the classroom and off-campus environment including major campus events such as commencements and convocations..
provide a good working and school environment
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Barbourville, KYMay 30, 2016
learned new skills
busy environment
enjoy working with staff, faculty and students
peaceful atmosphere
Clean environment and helpful surrounding
great management
Love to go back
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 25, 2016
Would love to have opportunity to go back to Union College. Left for lack of advancement but staff and community was great to work with.
Student
student (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 21, 2016
Truly and education that has provided the tools needed to succeed in the work place and all other aspects of life. Very good school.
Director of Campus Life (Former Employee) –  Barbourville, KYJanuary 15, 2016
They abuse their best workers, and play favorites. I was terminated without any warning right before Christmas 2015. I would not recommend anyone to work there, nor to go to school there.
Accepting and Fun environment; Small School, small opportunities
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Barbourville, KYAugust 24, 2015
Staff, faculty and management are very kind and have open door policy.

School struggles with finances so programs underfunded and lots of work to get any progress with goals

Low pay for everyone but people stay due to their commitment to students.
Pros
Open door communication policy, people are trying to do their best
Cons
Not much revenue so low pay and difficult to finance programs. Lots of changes, very often.
Teaching at Union was rewarding because of my personal commitments, and because I had motivated students.
Professor of Congregational Care (Former Employee) –  Barbourville, KYJune 2, 2015
The Union College teaching experience was professional, and a fun experience. Nothing about the experience was hard. I connected with my passion for clinical pastoral theology and pastoral counseling ministry in the local community from the social location of pastor in community.
Great Research Environment
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 17, 2015
The facilities at Union are top-notch and you have the opportunity to work one-on-one with experts in their respective fields. Great exposure for students to learn about academic research.
Student Athletic Trainer
Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Barbourville, KYFebruary 28, 2015
I would help the school's athletes with their injury rehabilitation and pre-competition warm-ups. I learned many rehabilitation techniques for all areas of the body as well as advanced first-aid and life saving techniques. My management was the Athletic Training staff I learned a lot from them as I worked by their side with various sports teams. The hardest part of the job would actually be when I was learning everything in the classroom. My favorite part would have to be putting everything I learned into practice right after I learned it.
Pros
a lot of hands on activities
Encouraging and Inquisitive Work Culture
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Co-workers were as passionate and as curious as I was about the fascinating condition that is Synesthesia. We were able to gain insight into the advantages and disadvantages of having Synesthesia by analyzing their performance in multiple working memory tasks.
Fun work place with many nice people.
Biomedical Science/ Pre-Physician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 14, 2015
Union College is great environment to work in. People here are so nice, they are always willing to help you if you have any questions. I like it here. I learn from my work place and my school environment.
Productive work place
cook / house keeping (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 11, 2013
There was always something to do no idle time which was good made the time go by faster. I learned team work. Management was always there for you needed help on or off the job.My co-workers were the best we all worked as a team we helped each other out if we needed it.The hardest part for was when we were sthrt handed and had to do extra work. Which ment you had to rush to get it done.Which ment oyu could not do quality work. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with.
benefits
Cons
shortbreaks
A super fun working environment with supportive staff
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barbourville, KYAugust 1, 2012
From this experience I learned a lot about time management considering the type of position this is I had to complete my duties and responsibilities while enrolled full time in classes. I learned a lot about leadership styles and how to react in certain situations. The hardest part of the job was juggling it while taking classes. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing relationships with others and proving care and support.
Pros
fun, laid back atmosphere, and flexibility
Cons
part time position
Union College provides great benefits in a family oriented atmosphere.
Business Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barbourville, KYJune 14, 2012
A typical day is to receipt any tuition or transcript fee that we might receive and basically just whatever might happen across my desk depending on the need of the student whether it be communicated through the telephone, email or an office visit. Students needs range from making copies to sending faxes, reviewing/explaining their student accounts, or assisting them with their insurance claims.

When not helping a student, I do filing and make collection calls on past due accounts.

I'd definitely say the hardest part of my day is making those collection calls. It's always enjoyable to make a call and have it end with a long over due payment, but those calls are few.
Pros
benefits, paid 2-week christmas break and free tuition
Cons
collections
A great experience overall
Campus Activities Board Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barbourville, KYMay 15, 2013
I really enjoyed my time at Union College as a student assistant with Campus Activities. Our popular phrase "work smarter, not harder" will stick in my mind for a long time. Working with CAB improved my organization and time management skills, and I had the privileged of working with great co-workers and had leadership I could learn from.
Productive, enjoyed time with co-workers
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 20, 2013
I have enjoyed working for Union College mainly because of their very flexible time schedule, they knew I was trying to finish school so they understood when I needed to get off on some days. My co-workers i enjoyed very much, everyone was was, helping me with questions I ever had. Hardest part of the job was being sent out on a job and not having the full knowledge I needed to complete the job, I also worked by myself most of the time, so it took longer to do most jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to finish a job and having the satisfaction of seeing it work. I learned how to be productive with my time, not being ashamed to ask questions when I don't understand something, and I feel I received more knowledge from working than I did actually being in class.
Pros
very flexible time schedule
Cons
short breaks, low pay
Treated me as if I was family
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Barbourville, KYApril 6, 2014
Learned how to use Microsoft Excel and computer better. Would say this was the hardest part of my job
Was treated like I was wanted every day
If I made a mistake management didn't give me a hard time.
Was greeted well everyday I walked in
Pros
long breaks, allowed to leave early when work was completed
Easy Position, no advancement.
Nighttime Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 28, 2014
While the college has a great benefit package, advancement and base pay, especially for hourly employees, leaves much to be desired.
Pros
great helthcare, free education, free food and young working enviornment.
Cons
no advancement.
Very different, College Atmosphere
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 2, 2013
There were pressures to get he work done, as well as to be involved with the college as a learning institution. Taking classes and furthering your degree were of importance.
Pros
environment, staff
Cons
limited growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3