Union First Market Bank Employee Reviews

Sole Control of ATM/ Teller
Teller/sole ATM control (Former Employee) –  Burke, VASeptember 5, 2017
I would receive customers with a smile and process their banking needs. Handled money on a daily basis and had sole control of the ATM and dealt with over 50,000 every other week while settling the machine
Pros
Flexible hours, relaxed pace
Cons
no benefits
Horrible place to work
Sr. IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ruther Glen, VASeptember 4, 2017
Would not recommend this place. Over worked and under paid and under appreciated. Management sucks. A community bank that tries to run with the big boys but falls short by far.
The Best Job ever
Financial Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 4, 2017
This was one the the best jobs I ever had, competitive salary, friendly staff, and great training. My co workers helped me raise my son and care for my elderly parents. Met some lifetime friends through customer interaction.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Re-hire policy
Financial Services Advisor
Financial Services Advisor II (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 27, 2017
Worked with customers to balance accounts, open new products, and service simple banking tasks. Became a loan officer and opened, serviced, and provided information on loans to customers.
Great co-workers
Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (Current Employee) –  Ruther Glen, VAFebruary 14, 2016
I've worked here for two years. This company has very dedicated and skilled employees yet the IT staff has been so committed to active projects that the the company has not been able to offer training to any of the IT staff in more than 2 years. The quality of customer service throughout the company is excellent. This company suffers like many other companies from growing so fast that the management skills may not have been able to scale to size. Of late there exist a successful effort from the executive team to remedy any possibility of weakness in middle management. I expect that in a couple of years the improvement will be readily evident.
Pros
excellent team spirt
Cons
An infrastructure of middle management promoted beyond their ability.
Micromanagement!
Financial Service Advisor III (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 19, 2015
Upper management give outrageous demands and tell you how your job is supposed to be done, but won't last a day in your shoes on the front line. Also, there's jealously toward you from your co-workers if customers prefer to see you instead.
Pros
Work life balance, health benefits
Cons
Low pay, no overtime, poor management
Hard work and fun!
Financial Service Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 29, 2015
It's very important to do your job effectively and with joy. Making the best out of every moment. Sometimes my job is easy and other times it's difficult. All three jobs I've had thus far has been in sales, but I must say this one is the most intense. I have a variety of product goals, deposit goats, etc. The most enjoyable part of my job, is helping other people, whether it's helping to suggest the right financial product for them, giving a listening ear or just putting a smile on their faces after a rough week or day.
Productive place to work
FINANCIAL SERVICE ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Tappahannock, VAMarch 4, 2015
The best part of working at Union is the managment that is willing to see the full potential of each employee of the bank. Please see the previous review for full disclosure.
good for individuals with no family and plenty of free time.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 17, 2015
I worked in an office with little office harmony. Clicks were unbearable for even someone who tends to be an outcast by choice. there was an insane amount of bullying and no management support. In honest terms dealing with management was almost more difficult than a root canal. Its a company filled with individuals who hate coming to work everyday or are so addicted to work nothing comes before it. For someone with a health issue or a family this is not a palce to work. I think that's banks in general. Those who may be a threat or may hold up progress won't last. Excellent benefits to be the pro of the work place. Very little personal time and that includes sick time.
Pros
ability to stand out in a crowd in some cases, benefits, customer relationship building.
Cons
no breaks for non smokers, short lunch, favoritism/clicks, no "office peace".
Grocery store banking
Financial Service Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 29, 2014
The pay is decent for a person fresh out of college/still in school. The raises are minuscule and come infrequently. The "incentive" package for meeting sales goals is also underwhelming. While it sounds impressive in your introduction you soon find out that very few branches meet their goals to actually receive a decent quarterly payout. Turnover is exceptionally high.
Bilingual Teller
Spanish bilingual Teller (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 18, 2014
On a typical day at the bank, my primary job responsibility consists of handling financial transactions for customers. I have a chance to learn more about the logistical applications within any given financial institution. With a small team, there is a chance to learn as a group, as well as an individual. The most challenging part of this job is the handling of angry customers, while the most enjoyable part of the job is the coordination of projects that improve efficiency within the job space. Providing Spanish language skills are beneficial to expanding the consumer base of the bank. Management oversees much of the operations, providing constant feedback on job performance.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Difficult to advance, high turnover
Terrible Management!
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Colonial Beach, VAAugust 24, 2014
This is the only job I have ever had that I absolutely hated. I am very experienced in the banking field and I thought the atmosphere of a community bank would be welcoming and exciting because I was used to the fast paced atmosphere of the large banks. I was wrong! Management is terrible and I was unable to supervise as my role should because all responsibilities were taken away by a controlling, self centered manager. Don't bother going to upper management or HR to request to remove yourself from the situation and be placed in another branch, they were equally self absorbed and ignorant to the realities of the situation. So glad to be able to put it behind me and move on to much bigger and better things. Back to the big banks!
Pros
initial training at ops was wonderful, customers
Cons
lack of support from management, unapproachable attitudes, lack of effective management, lack of respect and general courteous behaviors, unprofessional and demoralizing atmosphere, lack of teamwork
Bad management, jealous and uneducated coworkers
Teller II (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJune 14, 2014
Every day was a nightmare working with bipolar people,poor management, uneducated coworkers, hardest part of job was dealing with ignorant managers, the only enjoyable part of the job was some customers.
Pros
No Pros
Productive and fun workplace
Financial Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 14, 2014
Union First Market is a great company to work for. I have learned a lot and grown in the years I have been with this company.
good bank
Financial Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Culpeper, VAApril 9, 2014
better than working at a big bank, you will be treated like a human here.
Productive environment
Teller (Former Employee) –  Colonial Beach, VAMarch 3, 2014
Handled basic banking transactions. Got to know customers personally and knew what they were in the bank for.
Pros
healthcare, benefits, vacations
Cons
no overtime available, weekend work, not too much opportunity to advance in the company
Excellent place to begin my career
Financial Services Advisor II (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAFebruary 13, 2014
My typical day involved all of the basic functions of a retail bank. I pulled certain banking reports, conducted everyday transactions, maintained a cash drawer, and contributed to the marketing efforts of the branch. I got more involved in the loan process as I grew and became more experienced. I was involved in loan applications, processing, data input, decision making, and loan closing. Everyone within the organization was pleasant and delightful to work with. I looked forward to going to work, yet after a while there, I felt I needed more of a challenge in my career development.
Great 1 work environment. Very diverse clients
Financial Service Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Richmond VaJanuary 14, 2014
Very Busy. very customer focused. Have to be able to multi-task. Knowing and following procedures is an must. Great co-workers. Hardest part about my job is making sure you complete every task for the day and still provide excellent customer service. I loce the interaction with the customers
Pros
Flexible enviroment
Cons
Not having dedicated cashiers
Job benefits and values
Financial Service Advisor II, Loan officer (Former Employee) –  King George, VAOctober 14, 2013
My typical work day would begin with answer phone, processing loan applications, collect data, and review reports. Assist customers with inquiries regarding their accounts and loan payoffs.
Effective at managing, with the skills necessary to direct, train, and motivate staff to its fullest potential.
Working with my co-workers made my job easy because they were great people to work with.
The hardest part of my job was letting them know that they could not qualify for loans.
I enjoyable part of my job was enter acting with the customers and providing them with quality service
Pros
meeting new customer and interacting with previous customers
Cons
heathcare
Hard to work here
Financial Services Advisor II (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 11, 2013
Most of my job centered around customer service. I would do all cash transactions; ie, withdrawals, cashing checks, deposits. I also answered phones and assisted customers in that way as well. I also opened accounts for customers and attempted to answer any and all questions they may have with respects to their banking needs.

This was a difficult place to work simply because I did not get along with my manager. She felt that I should have been an expert as soon as I finished my training. Having never worked in banking before I had a bit of a learning curve to overcome and she refused to help me. She would not allow me to ask questions and when I didn't know how to do things she would make a hugh deal that I should have learned that in training and it wasn't her job to teach me.

I did really enjoy the type of work I was doing, and I enjoyed all other co-workers. I always found the interacting with customers to be my favorite part of my day.
Pros
I learned new skills and found an industry that I didn't know I would enjoy working in.
Cons
Working with an inflexible manager made the job difficult to go to.