Union Gospel Mission Employee Reviews in United States

Productive work place,outings,counseling and teaching opportunities
Chaplain and Assist. Dir. Of Men's Ministries (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 30, 2016
Arrived at 7:00 am and began supervising the clients and disciples.
Ate breakfast 8:00 am
Started teaching Basic Bible Doctrine to the Disciples at 9:00 am
Attended Chapel service at 10:00
Exercise activities from 11-12 am.
Lunch served at 12 pm
Afternoon counseling and outings for the disciples from 1:00-5:00 pm

Pervasive corruption amongst staff and disciples,worldliness and disregard for the law had a negative impact on the total effectiveness of the mission. In spite of all of this God continued to work amazingly in the lives of these men and women.
Pros
Wonderful outreach and ministries to the homeless
Cons
Corruption and worldliness
Director- Children's Tutoring and Enrichment
Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Great place to work and give back to the community. Working with homeless students can be very rewarding. The students are hungry for knowledge and quickly move ahead in their public school classes.
The work hours and pay are good. Co-workers are supportive of the educational mission.
It is fun to see students that are homeless achieve above their peers in public school.
Pros
Great atmisphere
Cons
Working with homeless children and lead to burn out
One one the best places to work in Fort Worth,TX
Facility Manager Supervisor Union Gospel Mission (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 17, 2016
It's a rewarding experience...with meeting people, working with other organizations,and assisting the less fortunate.
productive and fun
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 12, 2015
Union gospel mission is a great place to work and their daycare facility is a great place to bring your children. working their has been a great pleasure and i most surly will work with them again.
An overall fun to place to work at
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 27, 2015
Fun and entertaining, outgoing and interesting. There are a lot of open minded people who put there heart into what they do there, therefor making it a desirable place to call home.
Limited Advancement
Production/ Driver- Pickup and Delivery (Current Employee) –  spokane, waSeptember 22, 2015
Job was fun, meeting new people and being able to help those in need. Job created many new and interesting things to do. I liked the God Dependent atmosphere. Devotion in the morning before work was a refreshing and enlightening experience.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Advancment is very limited
very great company to work for.
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 17, 2015
loved working here, had to leave due to some medical problems, but all in all, great job. I loved the people the atmosphere, and the positive vibe.
A typical day at work.
Housekeeper/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 3, 2015
As a volunteer at Union Gospel Mission, my schedule is mostly attending focus groups and participating group activities. The volunteers work as a team to ensure the cleanliness of the facility. My specific role as a housekeeper requires me to assist guests as they visit the mission. I then begin to clean the chapel and lobby area by disinfecting surfaces, sweeping and mopping the floors, sanitizing the restrooms and ensuring that the grounds area is kept clean.
Pros
Helping those who are in need.
Cons
This is only temporary work and not a career.
fun work place
Resident Volunteer (Former Employee) –  spokane,waJune 19, 2015
This was a vary rewarding job i will look back on my days here with fondness and wish i could say but i need to move on with life and look ahead
Loving, caring community of staff helping the needy
Bob Thompson Jr (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 29, 2015
Continuously supporting the needy of the Portland community with care, hope and love.

Giving men and women hope for a better life by supporting recovery.

Filling the needs of the homeless and hurting with food, clothes and recovery needs.
Insightful new experiences
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 11, 2015
I would come to the Union Gospel Mission, wash my hands, put on an apron and wait to be told where to serve. I mainly served at the desert table, where every person could pick one desert if they chose. We served mainly to homeless men, but there were a lot of women and children there as well. There were young and old and in-between people, and they were people of all colors and races. It was hard to see people who had so little compared to the comfortable lifestyle I lived (and still do live), but I felt really good knowing that I could give them a smile, ask them about their day and tell them to enjoy their meal.
The managers were very inviting, friendly and relaxed. They knew the system inside and out at the Mission and appreciated me being there. If I had any questions, they were always ready and willing to answer them.
I learned that although you cannot always give a person a house, or give a whole family coats for winter, anybody can give a warm, genuine smile and that turns entire days around for some people. We all could use a little more kindness in our lives, and if we share that with everybody, we can be there for those who have next to nothing. Little gestures can go a long way!
I would have to say the most enjoyable aspect of the job was knowing that even if it was a small one, I was making a difference. I could take an hour from my day to meet new people and ask about their lives. The "hardest" part was how uncomfortable some of the people made me feel. I was a young, seventeen year old girl, surrounded by people who I did not know and some of whom did not look
  more... too friendly. I had no actual problems with anybody, though.  less
Pros
easy, on my own time, enjoyable and productive
Cons
somewhat intimidating environment
Grace based treatment modality with great management team.
CDPT (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WAAugust 2, 2014
I was given great instruction and freedom, and was given the tools to grow in my CD treatment career.
seattle union gospel mission..
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  downtown seattleJune 14, 2014
Walking along side guys fresh off the streets to help them try to seek recovery being there for thei r every need. Clerical skills in all forms. Management was great was able to approach issuse with a kind an peaceful heart and verbally whicg lead to guys opening up an coming to me deep issues in their life.co workers we all work as team taking on each other ideas to keep the floor in high spirits an safe.Hardest part of the job is seeing guys leave the program an going back out in their addiction.. most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a new person walk in for recovery and being able to walk along side guys through the day by day stuggles with addiction an encouraging the to stay on the path of recovery..
Pros
being a voice for the guys to trust an come with deep issues in their life.
Cons
seeing guys leave, drug area, pay, saftey
Great Dental Services Offered
Dental Hygiene Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 5, 2014
This was a good opportunity for me to utilize my hygiene skills. While seeing many people who do not attend the dental office on a regular basis and provide them with free dental services like tooth extractions and scaling and root planing.
Life changing organization
Intern Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 12, 2014
This was a very rewarding position because employees are able to see growth and change in clients.
Pros
christian environment
Cons
lots of sad cases
Child Development Center
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 23, 2013
My main responsibilities are keeping the children safe in all activities, keeping them involved and directing them to where they need to be. Some children require one-on-one assistance with such activities like cutting, so we work hand-over-hand helping them with the task.
In my position, I assist the classroom teacher with all aspects of running the classroom.
I am most surprised as to how rewarding and personally satisfying working with special needs and general population children is. I have seen personal growth in children who are struggling with learning difficulties and it is incredibly heartwarming
It is also so rewarding working with a professional staff that gels so well together. Every day, all the tasks get accomplished by each of the teacher team members pitching in in a group effort.
The worst part of the job is realizing that, even when are doing everything possible, a child isn't flourishing. It is difficult to see a child that wants to participate but is limited by either physical or physiological disadvantages.
The best part of the job is the relationship we acquire with the children by working so closely with them day after day. We get very attached and personally vested in helping the children in every way possible.
Very Good Company except bad benefits
Program Director (Current Employee) –  3211 Irving Blvd. Dallas TX. 75247September 18, 2013
Typical day starts with group biblical devotions, followed by teaching and counseling with intermittent administrative work.. I enjoy teaching, counseling, and empowering clients to become better people.
Pros
love and empathetic towards staff
Cons
poor employee benefits
neat and clean enviornment.
Janitorial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 9, 2013
It was a very humbling opportunity to work for the mission.there was never a dull moment.I met many very interesting people and was glad to have gotten to know some of them.
Pros
free lunches, helping others.
Cons
no health care benefits.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 24, 2013
This position has been very educational for my social work knowledge base.
nice atmosphere
porter (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 31, 2012
meet new people daily learned howb to get along with all types of people. hardest part was keeping restrooms cleaned most enjoyable part was knowing you did a good job everyday.
Pros
free lunch and dinner

4.5