Union Gospel Mission

Union Gospel Mission Employee Reviews

Loving, caring community of staff helping the needy
Bob Thompson Jr (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 29, 2015
Continuously supporting the needy of the Portland community with care, hope and love.

Giving men and women hope for a better life by supporting recovery.

Filling the needs of the homeless and hurting with food, clothes and recovery needs.
Insightful new experiences
Volunteer (Former Employee), Spokane, WAJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: easy, on my own time, enjoyable and productive
Cons: somewhat intimidating environment
I would come to the Union Gospel Mission, wash my hands, put on an apron and wait to be told where to serve. I mainly served at the desert table, where every person could pick one desert if they chose. We served mainly to homeless men, but there were a lot of women and children there as well. There were young and old and in-between people, and they were people of all colors and races. It was hard to see people who had so little compared to the comfortable lifestyle I lived (and still do live), but I felt really good knowing that I could give them a smile, ask them about their day and tell them to enjoy their meal.
The managers were very inviting, friendly and relaxed. They knew the system inside and out at the Mission and appreciated me being there. If I had any questions, they were always ready and willing to answer them.
I learned that although you cannot always give a person a house, or give a whole family coats for winter, anybody can give a warm, genuine smile and that turns entire days around for some people. We all could use a little more kindness in our lives, and if we share that with everybody, we can be there for those who have next to nothing. Little gestures can go a long way!
I would have to say the most enjoyable aspect of the job was knowing that even if it was a small one, I was making a difference. I could take an hour from my day to meet new people and ask about their lives. The "hardest" part was how uncomfortable some of the people made me feel. I was a young, seventeen year old girl, surrounded by people who I did not know and some of whom did not look too friendly. I had no actual problems with anybody, though.
Grace based treatment modality with great management team.
CDPT (Current Employee), Tukwila, WAAugust 2, 2014
I was given great instruction and freedom, and was given the tools to grow in my CD treatment career.
seattle union gospel mission..
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee), downtown seattleJune 14, 2014
Pros: being a voice for the guys to trust an come with deep issues in their life.
Cons: seeing guys leave, drug area, pay, saftey
Walking along side guys fresh off the streets to help them try to seek recovery being there for thei r every need. Clerical skills in all forms. Management was great was able to approach issuse with a kind an peaceful heart and verbally whicg lead to guys opening up an coming to me deep issues in their life.co workers we all work as team taking on each other ideas to keep the floor in high spirits an safe.Hardest part of the job is seeing guys leave the program an going back out in their addiction.. most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a new person walk in for recovery and being able to walk along side guys through the day by day stuggles with addiction an encouraging the to stay on the path of recovery..
Great Dental Services Offered
Dental Hygiene Volunteer (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNMay 5, 2014
This was a good opportunity for me to utilize my hygiene skills. While seeing many people who do not attend the dental office on a regular basis and provide them with free dental services like tooth extractions and scaling and root planing.
Life changing organization
Intern Case Manager (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: christian environment
Cons: lots of sad cases
This was a very rewarding position because employees are able to see growth and change in clients.
Child Development Center
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNOctober 23, 2013
My main responsibilities are keeping the children safe in all activities, keeping them involved and directing them to where they need to be. Some children require one-on-one assistance with such activities like cutting, so we work hand-over-hand helping them with the task.
In my position, I assist the classroom teacher with all aspects of running the classroom.
I am most surprised as to how rewarding and personally satisfying working with special needs and general population children is. I have seen personal growth in children who are struggling with learning difficulties and it is incredibly heartwarming
It is also so rewarding working with a professional staff that gels so well together. Every day, all the tasks get accomplished by each of the teacher team members pitching in in a group effort.
The worst part of the job is realizing that, even when are doing everything possible, a child isn't flourishing. It is difficult to see a child that wants to participate but is limited by either physical or physiological disadvantages.
The best part of the job is the relationship we acquire with the children by working so closely with them day after day. We get very attached and personally vested in helping the children in every way possible.
Very Good Company except bad benefits
Program Director (Current Employee), 3211 Irving Blvd. Dallas TX. 75247September 18, 2013
Pros: love and empathetic towards staff
Cons: poor employee benefits
Typical day starts with group biblical devotions, followed by teaching and counseling with intermittent administrative work.. I enjoy teaching, counseling, and empowering clients to become better people.
neat and clean enviornment.
Janitorial Supervisor (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 9, 2013
Pros: free lunches, helping others.
Cons: no health care benefits.
It was a very humbling opportunity to work for the mission.there was never a dull moment.I met many very interesting people and was glad to have gotten to know some of them.
Case Manager (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 24, 2013
This position has been very educational for my social work knowledge base.
nice atmosphere
porter (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXDecember 31, 2012
Pros: free lunch and dinner
meet new people daily learned howb to get along with all types of people. hardest part was keeping restrooms cleaned most enjoyable part was knowing you did a good job everyday.
Skills and morals
Assistant Cook (Current Employee), Spokane, WADecember 20, 2012
Pros: serving the needy and training these people as a nonprofit organization
Cons: never able to furnish enough food for all the needy!
As an assistant or cook we work with these individuals to teach them the basics and fundamentals of cooking and in working with the food industry. This establishment serves an estimated 350 to 800 meals per day worksing with the real dysfunctional individuals with conflicts in their life and rehabilitation these people and this a way of teaching them the trade from their dependencies. They have a five course program to work with these individuals and the majority of these people work in the kitchens to obtain a knowledge and experience in the cooking field.This takes a lot of time and effort and you work with the dispositions and attitudes of these people . All the food is donated through various outlets with second harvest and other area nonprofit organization. It takes a lot of time and patience to work with these individuals and the workload as well as the hours are hard and the demand is strong. The rewards come from serving the needy and training these individuals for the outside industries.
very intriguing
head cook/ kitchen manager (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXOctober 22, 2012
Pros: free meals, meet new people, and some great volunteers
Cons: some management issues ( lack of communication)
Very busy dealing with outside guest and residents.

How to be more patient in dealing with people and their different problems.

Overall experience was a wonderful treat and i would love to do it all again.
i like helping people
Staff aide (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYOctober 15, 2012
my co-workers and i were very helpful to others and each other. it was very spiritual. my co-workers were very upbeat.
Sterling reputation as a Charity
Planned Giving/Major Donor Officer (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNOctober 7, 2012
5 Star Charity with a 13milllion dollar annual budget. Sterling reputation serving the homeless, unemployed and the addicted.
fun camp like enviornment
summer mentor (Former Employee), Seattle,WAJune 3, 2012
assistant site coordinator was my job. i organized the kids in the morning when they came and led them in various tasks throughout the day
fun but irritating
Kitchen Prep (Former Employee), Yakima, WAApril 17, 2012
a typical day at work would be them not ordering enough food for their meals so they would have to bring out leftovers. some of the workers wouldnt even stay a full shift or they would decide not to come at all with out telling us so we would be short handed or they would over book the volunteers to where we didnt have enough jobs for everyone. the hardest part of the job was the fact that there wasnt any communication its always well they want to do it one way but some else wants them to do it another way. the most enjoyable part of the day was when i got to leave and go home.
helping those in need of food and shelter
Kitchen Assistant / Custodian (Former Employee), st paul mnMarch 27, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no health care
changing lives, helping with set up in the kitchen, always on time to work Never missed a day
Fulfilling,helpfull to all,and good hearted.
Dilivery/Donation truck driver, Cook (Former Employee), Salem, ORMarch 22, 2012
Pros: fulfiling, caring, and helpful to all.
Cons: none that i can think of.
The best expeiriance that i have ever had,caring,respectful,and honerable.

About Union Gospel Mission

Seattle's Union Gospel Mission (UGM) is a private faith-based organization that helps the community reach out with compassion – Read more

Union Gospel Mission Salaries