Union Gospel Mission Employee Reviews

Serving homeless people in need
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Keizer, OROctober 31, 2016
I worked in the kitchen preparing and serving meals for over 100 hundred women and children at Simonka Place, a homeless shelter for women and children. I also did all the guests laundry in commercial washers and dryers. I was responsible for maintaining a clean and safe environment for the guests. I currently provide customer service by working the front desk. I answer multi-phone system, welcome possible new guests coming in, filing, fax machine, printer and copier. I really enjoy the work I've done and continue to do. Serving others is a rewarding and I get to meet all different kinds of individuals.
Good learning experience
Facility and Fleet Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 6, 2017
It was a joy to work for these people for the first time but there was little room for advancement and ultimately it was just a learning experience for me.
Fun and inspiring workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 6, 2017
From volunteering at Union Gospel Mission I got to know a whole new level of the Duluth community and working with people. The management is caring and involved. The workplace feels safe and as a volunteer I felt protected.
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 3, 2017
I enjoyed my time here. Christianity is a great way of life and career to have. I'm grateful for my time with this organization.
Volunteered to help during the holidays
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 14, 2016
Not much to review or say. Basic volunteer work to help when it was needed. Usually around holidays or summer time. Got together with family and friends alike to serve food to the less fortunate and give out waters
Pros
Helping the less fortunate
Cons
no cons
Productive work place,outings,counseling and teaching opportunities
Chaplain and Assist. Dir. Of Men's Ministries (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 30, 2016
Arrived at 7:00 am and began supervising the clients and disciples.
Ate breakfast 8:00 am
Started teaching Basic Bible Doctrine to the Disciples at 9:00 am
Attended Chapel service at 10:00
Exercise activities from 11-12 am.
Lunch served at 12 pm
Afternoon counseling and outings for the disciples from 1:00-5:00 pm

Pervasive corruption amongst staff and disciples,worldliness and disregard for the law had a negative impact on the total effectiveness of the mission. In spite of all of this God continued to work amazingly in the lives of these men and women.
Pros
Wonderful outreach and ministries to the homeless
Cons
Corruption and worldliness
Love ugm
TWIN CITIES OUTREACH COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 6, 2016
I love working for UGM. They're really passionate about giving back and changing the world. They do a great job at supporting you and catering to your needs. My boss was awesome and equipped me with all the necessary tools I needed to be successful.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Low pay
Very Good Company except bad benefits
Program Director (Current Employee) –  3211 Irving Blvd. Dallas TX. 75247September 18, 2013
Typical day starts with group biblical devotions, followed by teaching and counseling with intermittent administrative work.. I enjoy teaching, counseling, and empowering clients to become better people.
Pros
Love and empathetic towards staff
Cons
Poor employee benefits
neat and clean enviornment.
Janitorial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 9, 2013
It was a very humbling opportunity to work for the mission.there was never a dull moment.I met many very interesting people and was glad to have gotten to know some of them.
Pros
free lunches, helping others.
Cons
no health care benefits.
Good place to learn counseling skills
Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 4, 2016
Good leadership and staff. Good place to practice counseling skills.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the women change and grow. The hardest part is having to leave and not see where the women end up.
Director- Children's Tutoring and Enrichment
Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Great place to work and give back to the community. Working with homeless students can be very rewarding. The students are hungry for knowledge and quickly move ahead in their public school classes.
The work hours and pay are good. Co-workers are supportive of the educational mission.
It is fun to see students that are homeless achieve above their peers in public school.
Pros
Great atmisphere
Cons
Working with homeless children and lead to burn out
A typical day at work.
Housekeeper/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 3, 2015
As a volunteer at Union Gospel Mission, my schedule is mostly attending focus groups and participating group activities. The volunteers work as a team to ensure the cleanliness of the facility. My specific role as a housekeeper requires me to assist guests as they visit the mission. I then begin to clean the chapel and lobby area by disinfecting surfaces, sweeping and mopping the floors, sanitizing the restrooms and ensuring that the grounds area is kept clean.
Pros
Helping those who are in need.
Cons
This is only temporary work and not a career.
Amazing place to work
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 15, 2016
Great staff and just all around great place. It is a place all about helping other people and getting them on their feet. The provide families with help and everything the kids need.
seattle union gospel mission..
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  downtown seattleJune 14, 2014
Walking along side guys fresh off the streets to help them try to seek recovery being there for thei r every need. Clerical skills in all forms. Management was great was able to approach issuse with a kind an peaceful heart and verbally whicg lead to guys opening up an coming to me deep issues in their life.co workers we all work as team taking on each other ideas to keep the floor in high spirits an safe.Hardest part of the job is seeing guys leave the program an going back out in their addiction.. most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a new person walk in for recovery and being able to walk along side guys through the day by day stuggles with addiction an encouraging the to stay on the path of recovery..
Pros
being a voice for the guys to trust an come with deep issues in their life.
Cons
seeing guys leave, drug area, pay, saftey
One one the best places to work in Fort Worth,TX
Facility Manager Supervisor Union Gospel Mission (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 17, 2016
It's a rewarding experience...with meeting people, working with other organizations,and assisting the less fortunate.
Limited Advancement
Production/ Driver- Pickup and Delivery (Current Employee) –  spokane, waSeptember 22, 2015
Job was fun, meeting new people and being able to help those in need. Job created many new and interesting things to do. I liked the God Dependent atmosphere. Devotion in the morning before work was a refreshing and enlightening experience.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Advancment is very limited
fun but irritating
Kitchen Prep (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAApril 17, 2012
a typical day at work would be them not ordering enough food for their meals so they would have to bring out leftovers. some of the workers wouldnt even stay a full shift or they would decide not to come at all with out telling us so we would be short handed or they would over book the volunteers to where we didnt have enough jobs for everyone. the hardest part of the job was the fact that there wasnt any communication its always well they want to do it one way but some else wants them to do it another way. the most enjoyable part of the day was when i got to leave and go home.
productive and fun
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 12, 2015
Union gospel mission is a great place to work and their daycare facility is a great place to bring your children. working their has been a great pleasure and i most surly will work with them again.
very intriguing
head cook/ kitchen manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 22, 2012
Very busy dealing with outside guest and residents.

How to be more patient in dealing with people and their different problems.

Overall experience was a wonderful treat and i would love to do it all again.
Pros
free meals, meet new people, and some great volunteers
Cons
some management issues ( lack of communication)
Skills and morals
Assistant Cook (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 20, 2012
As an assistant or cook we work with these individuals to teach them the basics and fundamentals of cooking and in working with the food industry. This establishment serves an estimated 350 to 800 meals per day worksing with the real dysfunctional individuals with conflicts in their life and rehabilitation these people and this a way of teaching them the trade from their dependencies. They have a five course program to work with these individuals and the majority of these people work in the kitchens to obtain a knowledge and experience in the cooking field.This takes a lot of time and effort and you work with the dispositions and attitudes of these people . All the food is donated through various outlets with second harvest and other area nonprofit organization. It takes a lot of time and patience to work with these individuals and the workload as well as the hours are hard and the demand is strong. The rewards come from serving the needy and training these individuals for the outside industries.
Pros
serving the needy and training these people as a nonprofit organization
Cons
never able to furnish enough food for all the needy!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Gospel Mission. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6