Union Pacific Employee Reviews

Entry level with great potential
Mechanical Service Operator (Current Employee) –  West Colton, CAMarch 5, 2017
Being a Mechanical Service Operator is an entry level position with advancement to being a Diesel Electrician or Mechanic. You get to move Locomotives around the shop to be worked on. Fuel them, sand them, you are essentially a pit crew for the Locomotives. I love my job because the potential for advancement is there when you are looking for a foot in the door with the Railroad. Pay starts at 21.00 and tops out at 24.79, then you can go for an apprenticeship to be an electrician or mechanic after 3 years. It's a good job. The Mechanical department rarely lays off unlike the transportation side of the railroad.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Job Security
Cons
Schedule, loss of family time
Great pay but away from home
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Salem, ILJanuary 16, 2017
A typical day of work as a conductor is getting your paperwork, and seeing what your trip has to do. If you have to pick up cars or set out cars at the yard before you leave. After you leave it should be smooth sailing to your destination.
Your co-workers are good guys, majority of the workers get along. The managers on the other hand are instructed to keep a watchful eye over us. They are also told the need a quota of failures to be able to stay a manager, even if they give false failures.
Hardest part of the job is trying to stay 100% rule appliant, while the managers are watching your every step. Most enjoyable part is the guys you work with, everyone tries to make the job enjoyable.
Pros
Good pay, friendly enviroment, good benefits
Cons
Management, Away from home, odd hours
Poor work place. Bad communication between employees and management but excellent pay and benefits.
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 19, 2017
On call so never know of when you are going to work which resulted in lack of proper rest. Learned a lot about locomotive operations over the most demanding territory in the nation. Management had lack of communication with operating employees which made it difficult to know certain aspects of what they wanted at times. The people i directly worked with were decent and easy going. The hardest part of the job was getting proper rest due to lack of knowing when you were going to work. The most enjoyable was the travels and sights I seen, a very prideful job.
Pros
The pay and benefits
Cons
Lack of communication with management
Decent Pay, terrible lifestyle
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2017
Union Pacific is a good career job if you can handle being on call 24 hr's a day 7 days a week. and being away from home most of the time. Right now is a bad time for the Railroad industry, and its been the first time I seen this many layoff's in this excess. Morale has been pretty low as of lately. Benefits has declined, and cost of medical has gone up. But all in all I can't complain, they have provided for my family for the last 14+ years. But changes do need to be made. There have been alot of good guys that have walked away for better opportunities, and the company has done nothing to help retain good train crews, they just over higher to compensate, then lay off when not needed. Seems as though They forgot about the little guy, and are more focused on turning a profit. I will say that my pay over the last 5 yrs have decreased over 15k, and thats never a good thing. Especially for the lifestyle that we live.
Pros
Its a decent Job, can earn a living
Cons
Deminishing health care, weak union, 15 yrs and still on call..
You will be trained and then laid off
Conductor/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2017
Do not take a train service (conductor) job at Union Pacific! They will put you through an extensive month long classroom room training followed by on the job training. Then when you finish that they will furlough you for years until they need you! I was hired in 2012 and only been employed full time for 14 months! And not consecutively.when you are working management will be hiding in the weeds watching you, and they will fire you for a rule violation.Also you will be on call 24/7 , including weekends and holidays.
Benefits
Cons
Lay offs, management
Not a positive culture
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Every day, you are concerned that management is lurking in the bushes (aka weed weasels) waiting for you to make a mistake so the can fire you. No work/life balance, phone rings you go to work, never allowed to use personal leave days (compensated) to force use of sick time (uncompensated) to write you up for pattern layoff (which is any day you take off).
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
everything else
Fast pace and demanding work environment which I thrived in. It required multitasking and developing a lot of knowledge and skills specific to UPR.
CMS/Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 25, 2016
My shift started with prepping for crew dispatching, finding vacancies and fielding calls from ill workers. I actively assessed the variables involved with manpower needs of crewing trains and yard jobs and crew management positions. I did proper and efficient dispatching of crew members according to time and labor agreements. I learned about different computer databases. I learned about labor laws and the working of the railroad. I worked well with my co-workers and we relied on each other for help with intricate questions or concerns. The hardest part of the job was filling positions, but most often someone always came through to take the job. I enjoyed working independently to make quick decisions and resolve problems.
Pros
Working independently. It had a good salary and benefits.
Cons
Mandatory overtime, but I was well compensated for it.
No one deserves to be treated so badly
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Morrill, NENovember 4, 2016
Unless you're buddies with management they will do anything and everything they can to make your life miserable. It's impossible to advance because no one cares how hard you work or how good you are at your job, if you excel, they raise their expectations more and more until they're impossible to meet and then you get written up. This is an extremely toxic work environment. No one deserves to be degraded, humiliated, and treated so horribly on a daily basis.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Best Benifits Ever
Diesel Electrician (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 4, 2016
They have the Best Health Coverage I've ever had. Every Doctor visit was $20 max. Hospital cost me $150 one time. You cannot beat the Health insurance, but it will cost you $200/month. Still not bad.
They have the best retirement too. As long as you don't mind getting dirty & an almost military style of management, it's not too bad.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
good company to build a career with
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2017
Good company. Excellent benefits. Does affect your quality of life with long work days and unorthodox work hours,but the compensation has potential to be worth it in the end. really all depends on the individual.
Pros
pay, benefits and retirement
Cons
long work days, weird work hours, on call, and high risk of furlough in first 5 yrs
Great Career Starter
Laborer to Track Inspector (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAFebruary 12, 2017
Excellent company to start a career. Great benefits and good pay. Plenty of locations to move around and plenty of positions to move up.
Pros
Fortune 500
Cons
Politics
Great Employees
Mechanical Service Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2016
Day started @ 8 am & continued til 4pm
I learned a great deal about commuter operations in the Railway
Management was similar to armed forces, there is a chain of command
Co workers were very helpful
Hardest part of the job was weather conditions
Most enjoyable was how close the employees were, everyone treated each other as family members
Benefits
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunity
Great place to work!
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Hermiston, ORNovember 16, 2016
Great place to work, very caring of the employees and their families. Good possibility to move up in the company. Lots of great and easy to get along with people, and the work always keeps you on your toes and thinking.
Pros
Benefits, pay, career job.
Cons
Seniority, politics
Good pay and benefits every thing else is not so great
Fireman Oiler; Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEFebruary 2, 2017
This company has great pay and benefits. But when business is slow they lay off starting with the new guys so you have to be willing to find other work.
Pros
Good pay benefits
Cons
weird work schedule lay offs and company is always looking to fire people
good job
Machine Operator, Track Laborer, Driver (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68179December 20, 2016
Lots of travel and good pay. Working outdoors is good and bad depending on the weather. Too many chiefs at times, management gets in the way. Lots of looking over your shoulder.
Pros
good benefits and pay
Cons
huge company that cares about the bottom line
Transportation
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 31, 2017
Company pays good but does not care about family. They did not help me when I most needed it. Instead they fired me and I ended up loosing my family.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
no life ouside company
loved working there
Hostler Driver (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 22, 2016
Great company. great Benefits. work got slow in the hostler department in Long Beach and I was forced to resign because I couldn't pay my bills. High pay just not enough hours. Sometimes its good and sometimes its bad. I wish I was able to transfer to a different department. Good company just bad department
Pros
retirement and pension
Cons
not enough hours
Good Benefits, Command & Control Management
LEADERSHIP TRAINER/CURRICULUM DEVELOPER (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 29, 2016
The people that I directly work with are amazing. Everyone has each other's back and we help develop each other as professionals and personally. The people we teach are great people and open to new ideas and willing to give things a try, even in an environment that does not always support the same philosophy. Senior management is more focused on bottom line than the people making that bottom line or the quality of product that goes out. The pay and benefits package is top notch far above the average.
Pros
Pay and benefits co-workers
Cons
Command and control management
great place to work
Relay Adjustor (Former Employee) –  Berkley, ILMarch 6, 2017
great place to work, nice people, team players, great benefits and good pay, Great travel benefits work like a family, educational benefits for family and meet people from all over the world. Enhance your people skills, broadens your mind.
great organization
Locomotive Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAJanuary 9, 2017
this company was great to work for. it provided growth potential and opportunities. great benefits and nice working environment. i would work there again if the opportunity presented itself.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3