Union Pacific

Union Pacific Employee Reviews

Terrible management
Through Freight Conductor (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 19, 2015
Management relationships between crews are negative. Unions are weak and it is often difficult to get legitimate time claims paid.
Productive work place
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), North Platte, NEJune 19, 2015
Pros: good living for my family with benefits
Cons: No company matched 401k
Long days, I've learned so much in the Rail industry, Upper management needs to be more involved and not so micro managed. Individuals with a college education are telling us how to do our job, and they have NO railroad experience what so ever. So much time, money and crews are spent on ridiculous moves and horrible call times.

The hardest part of my job is fatigue Horrible train line ups on knowing when your actually going to be called to work.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers and teaching new hires and students. Not one question is a stupid question in the rail industry. Its a dangerous, but rewarding field if you take pride and work safe at it.
Not good
Senior Software Developer (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 19, 2015
Pros: Good benefits. Good cafeteria.
Cons: Still in 1980's in terms of culture.
Way too much old thinking and bureaucracy. The quality of software engineering not stellar. A lot of politics. Need to be very careful to not argue with bosses.
This was the Best career I have had so far.
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Shakopee, MNJune 14, 2015
Pros: The job teaches really good men how to be the best leader they can be.
Cons: The Job takes you away from your family very often.
At Union Pacific it was a job detail oriented place to work and it took everyone working as a team to get things done everyday. I worked out of Shakopee MN. it was as close to working with family as you could get without actually working with relatives. It was my job to take the train safely from Shakopee to wherever my destination was that day. It may seem simple to some but the work was 90% mental and then they asked for another 110% in the way of safety. I am really great at leading a team. every trip the engineer is the one who hold the burden of the trains performance. So he is the one in charge of the team on the train. It did not matter if there where ten inches of snow on the ground or if it was 100 degrees outside the work still had to be done and done safely.
Railroad
Conductor/Engineer (Former Employee), South Saint Paul, MNJune 12, 2015
Pros: Compensation/Benifits
Cons: job security, at anytime work can be shifted away from your location.
Great place to work, but expect long hours of stand still. Sometimes your called to just moved a train less then 10 miles and sit. This job is not for everyone.
Journeyman Electronics Technician
Journeyman Communications Technician (Former Employee), Portland, ORJune 9, 2015
I installed, maintained and repaired RF equipment. I was responsible for microwave sites sin 7 states. I was very dependable and inspired to work for this company.
Great compensation but no life.
Train Crew (Former Employee), Avondale, LAJune 9, 2015
Pros: Pay and insurance.
Cons: On call schedule, working in all conditions
Union Pacific provides a great compensation however the trade off is you can have no life. You are constantly on call until you get enough seniority to get off the extra board which can take years. You are required to become an engineer which gives you a new seniority date so even after being established as a conductor you are then subject to being moved around again. You can be moved anywhere in the service unit which for Avondale LA goes all the way to the Mexican boarder. The insurance was $200 a month for an entire family which was good. A great job for someone with no family or other commitments.
Union Pacific Railroad
Conductor (Current Employee), Fresno, CAJune 6, 2015
Great Job for a single person.
Great benefits and retirement.
Long trips, beautiful scenery during work.
Seniority rules, over the job. Need to work your way up.
A new lifestyle with great money and benefits.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Wichita, KSJune 2, 2015
Pros: Money and benefits.
Cons: Lack of sleep at times, being away from home for sometimes long durations, convenience, and sometimes management.
I enjoyed working for Union Pacific. Unfortunately I do not have enough seniority to hold a job anywhere in my hub. The lifestyle is definitely not for everybody. You have to be able to work on little to no sleep. Safety is a number one topic at Union Pacific which I valued. I learned a lot working with Union Pacific and my hopes were to have a career with them, but I cannot afford to be laid off on – more... random terms as I have a family. The benefits are phenomenal and the pay is equal as well. I would recommend this job to someone who does not have a wife and kids. I enjoyed talking with all the seasoned vets and learning from them. That was my favorite part. The management needs some work. I think the mentality of management needs some adjusting. The hardest part of this job is working constantly with an irregular sleep schedule. A typical day at work would include coming in and getting your paperwork. You would thoroughly look over your paperwork to see what you are dealing with. You then would head out to your engine and wait for permission to leave weather it be from a yardmaster or dispatcher or both. You then start heading to your destination. There will be hold ups and you will sit in one spot for sometimes hours. You sometimes won't make it without hitting your hours of service. If you do make it you often times have work to do in the yard of your destination. You will complete it if you have time to do so in a safe fashion. Then you will take a van or taxi to the motel to get some rest. That is a day on the railroad. Convenience – less
great pay and benifets
Brakeman/Conductor (Current Employee), ogden utMay 28, 2015
great place to work but really unstable and manager to employee relationship is basically not there. if everyone was more on the same page it'd be the perfect place to work.
Great company
Yard Conductor (Current Employee), Clinton, IAMay 20, 2015
Pay is great, but travel is difficult to raise a family and I have to live far away and commute on weekends to see kids. Railroad spends a lot of money to hire someone, then spends years trying to fire the same person they just hired.
Great benefits, but very long hours.
Manager Yard Operations (Former Employee), Mira LomaMay 19, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: Long Hours
The day started at 0500, and ended at 1700. I learned a lot about resource management, and how one person can impact the bottom line. I learned how to manage people, and work through conflict situations. The toughest part of the job was the hours. I often worked 14-16 hour days. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I interacted with on a daily basis. Getting to know them, and helping them become better at their job was very rewarding.
Say goodbye to your life
Conductor (Former Employee), Bloomington, CAMay 19, 2015
Management is a joke. Even the managers hate being managers. The company doesn't care about its employees. They pit the old heads against the new guys all the time. Same with the union. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this job unless you're a single guy who doesn't have a life outside of work.
Contractural Position
Communication Specialist / Dispatcher (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMay 13, 2015
Pros: Always something new or exciting going on
Cons: Cant think of any
Awesome company to work for. Very busy, never a dull moment. Worked through Mitchener Gaines contractor company for Union Pacific Railroad.
Productive with Freedom to Do What Needs to be Done
Special Agent (Police Officer) (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 8, 2015
Pros: Travel, Take home car
Freedom to handle problems that arise but micromanaged at every avenue. I learned how to safety work around railroad equipment.
Never good enough
Manager of Road Operations in Salina (Former Employee), Salina, KSMay 8, 2015
Pros: Compensation & Benefits
Cons: Quality of life, employees, management, safety culture that's tongue in cheek, numbers before people mentality
Lack of professionalism, quality of life, and unrealistic expectations from upper management causes many mid level to entry level managers to leave this company. After several consecutive years of being jaded I decided to move on rather than do 30 years of being miserable. The most important lesson I learned from this company, money isn't everything in life.
Job security is very unpredictable
Conductor (Former Employee), Superior, WIMay 5, 2015
Great benefits and money, but the uncertainty of having a job is always there. Not the best job to raise a family. Very time consuming and long days away from family.
great
Freight Conductor Trainee (Former Employee), Northlake, ILMay 4, 2015
great company to work for. tough training, but its worth it. you learn a lot of new skills. exciting job. you cant be a person that wants to be home everyday. you will not.
tough to balance work/life schedule but union pacific pays for inconvenience,
Conductor (Current Employee), Superior, WIMay 3, 2015
union pacific railroad is a fun yet demanding job. As of late its really hard to hold a job in the midwest due to less demand for frac sand and oil. however over all holding a conductor position is fun. A lot of responsibility but continues to be rewarding.
Conductor/Engineer (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 28, 2015
Pros: great job with great benefits
Cons: away from family extensively
This is a great company to work for. They have great retirement and insurance packets. I learned many aspects of railroading and train handling skills. The hardest part of the job was being away from love ones and missing out on family events
Headquarters