Union Pacific

Union Pacific United States Employee Reviews

Good pay for hard work
Locomotive Mechanic (Former Employee), Burnham Locomotive House, Denver, COMarch 12, 2015
Good pay for hard work mostly in a work partner arrangement. Choose your partner wisely, or you'll be doing the most. Good benefits. Good training available. Learn as you go, from a more experienced partner.
Retail operations
Switchman/Brakeman (Former Employee), Dexter, MOMarch 10, 2015
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: shift work every 5 days
Enjoyed job. Would still be there if they had not closed down their operations in Arkansas. Good benefits and pay. The cons were rotating shift work every 5 days.
Employees are only a Number
Licensed Conductor and RCO operator (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 9, 2015
They hire you then after training they kick you to the curb because they hired too many people or something. Had a job quit that job for a railroad job completed their training then got furloughed now i don't have a job!!!
Great experience, you can see our great country in a completly different point of view, while being paid!
Service Engineer/ Conductor (Former Employee), North Little Rock ArkansasMarch 2, 2015
Pros: travel and great co-workers
Cons: on-call at all times
Selecting to a specific train, and transported freight by rail. Management was excellent and professional at all times. I loved my co-workers great group of hard working men. Hardest part of the job was constantly being on-call not having a definitive work schedule. My most enjoyable aspect was traveling.
Train conductor
Train Conductor (Current Employee), Roseville, CAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: you work on your own when working
Cons: no work where you hired out, no work period
The company is not up front during the hiring process. If you were told that after 6 months of training and making only $19,000 that you would not be able to hold a job ( seniority driven) and if you are able to work it wouldn't be in the area you were hired. I would never have left my old job for this company if I would have known.
One of the best major Railroad employers in the country
Signalman (Former Employee), Omaha, NEFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: challenging, good training, proper tools and equipment given to do the job with excellent compensation.
Cons: extensive travel away from home with no compensation.
Excellent training and job support. Long work days away from home but excellent compensation. Managed well, all though for management to function properly there are a bit to many managers overseeing a single project (overly managed). Good work environment, most employees are proud of their positions and willing to help fellow employees improve. The most difficult part of the job would have to be the incredible amount of travel required to get to the job site (without compensation). I found it to be a very rewarding job with great training and support as well as being challenging.
Good place to work.
LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER (Former Employee), North Platte, NEFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: great pay. not back breaking work.
Cons: poor management. union distractions.
If you don't mind poor management and being married to your job. The best money to be made is working the main line, the downfall is on call 24/7 and poor train dispatching.
Important work critical to the nations economy
Senior Manager of Yard Operations (Current Employee), Beaumont, TXFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: important work
Cons: little time for personal endevours
Long hours with little time off. Crucially important to the nations economy. If College life is the extent of your life experience, I would highly suggest looking elsewhere.
ok
Engineer / Conductor (Current Employee), Dalhart, TXFebruary 17, 2015
I personal don't like how it's managed. Union Pacific could and should take better care of their employees. It's the management that the problem of this job.
Safe workplace
Skilled Signal Maintainer (Current Employee), Berkeley, ILFebruary 16, 2015
UP is good place to start a career, however if you want to be promoted it seems that you have to know someone. I would recommend it to those who want to start a railroad career.
Union Pacific is a great company.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Omaha, NEFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: pay/benefits/people
Cons: work schedule can be challenging at times
If you ever have the opportunity to join the Union Pacific family I would suggest taking it with excitement. Great pay/benefits/people.
Very Progressive Company
Manager, Signal Maintenance (Current Employee), Ogden, UTFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: great retirement, great work environment
Cons: paid once a month, company does not place value on emloyees location (they will relocate anywhere in country), poor healthcare for managers
I have learned quite a bit as a manager at Union Pacific. One of the most valueable things I have learned is acknowledging who your customer is. As a manager, my customer was not only my superior supervision however it my customer were the employees under me as well. The most enjoyable part of my the job is the great balance between office environment and field environment.
Fast paced and challenging work environment
Tier II Specialist (Former Employee), Omaha, NEFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: advancement opportunity
This company provided great work experience and advancement opportunities for entry level applicants. In ten years I was able to change positions 4 times and grow both personally and professionally.
Perfect company to work for and with.
Legal Nurse Consultant (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: ability to work from home office
Working with this team has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. The work and moral ethics are high and that made it much easier to do what we do. The managers and paralegals I have worked with are some of the best. The most enjoyable aspect is the ability to provide an Attorney Work Product as quickly and perfect as possible.
engineer/conductor
Conductor/Engineer (Current Employee), Omaha, NEFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: never knew what to expect from managers
Extra board employee that worked different sites depending on if I was working as an engineer vs conductor. As a conductor my seniority would allow me to hold just about any location. I would work road jobs or local jobs. Really enjoy the people I worked with.
Very Safety Minded and Challenging Place to Work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Omaha, NEFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours sometimes
I loved working outside for the Railroad and this is one reason I'm applying for this Job. I retired from the Railroad after 40 yrs. and enjoy it. I was in a never ending challenging situation everyday and I like a challenge. The general Public was a big part of my job also and to have good relations. We as a group would always bend over backwards to make them happy because of our work. Public relations was a big part of my career. Safety was number one in our daily routines with job briefings changing every two minutes sometimes. I always kept a clear mind 24/7 to be a better person every new day.
Conductor
Train Crew (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2015
They only hire you to fire you. Termination Tuesday is what it is referred to. Training program is hard. Come prepared to study your butt off. Not a company I would recommend working for if you have a family.
Thankful for my co-workers
Diesel Electrician (Current Employee), Denver, COJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: act of god to get fired or stupidity.
Cons: shift work with no consistency.
I struggle with the third shift and I do not like that management with delete my job and force me to apply to new posted jobs multiple times a year. It gets old, but I am very thankful for the people I work with or else I would have quit long before now.
seeking part time work
Conductor train crew (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2015
I have successfully completed the 4 month training course for switchman, Brakeman, RCO, and currently have my conductor license. As a Conductor my responsibilities include but not limited to supervising the train crew from the 1st steps of Departure to the last steps of the arrival of the train at its destination. My number one priority is to make sure all moves are done safely and efficiently. Due to the time of the year and the economy, Union Pacific is placing lower seniority employees on part time status. Unfortunately I fall in this category.
i really enjoy the people i work with. They are very professional and serious about the work they perform everyday. Sometimes it can get stressful.
signal maintainer (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: 1 free lunch a month
Cons: health care
the job is very demanding and can be stressful at times. I enjoy trouble shooting and finding solutions. I am ready for a new challenge and motivated to learn. I have worked for the railroad for close to 27 years. My father worked for the railroad for 35 years. And his father worked for the railroad for 42 years. I guess railroading is in my blood.

About Union Pacific

Union Pacific Corporation (UPC) is engaged in the transportation business. The Company’s operating company, Union Pacific – Read more

Union Pacific Salaries