Union Pacific Employee Reviews

great work, good pay
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 4, 2016
long hours but learned to work with multiple personalities.
management is everywhere always watching but fair.
great mentors and co workers
good pay and getting to see the sights along the tracks going over the mountain.
Pros
good pay, good work
Great place to work!
Diesel Electrician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 4, 2016
I personally loved working there. Good pay and not much stress. Gained good work knowledge and experience from co-workers who I will miss. Management was poor, especially on second and third shifts (management seemed non-existent). All the difficult troubleshooting always seemed to stay on first shift and with all the same individuals. No accountability for those who chose to slack-off. I won't miss that part. Not bad benefits, but not much vacation time, especially if you are a new guy (takes 8 years of employment just to get 3 weeks of vacation). Unfortunately, UP closed the shop in Denver due mainly to the lack of coal trains. I took a buy-out from the company instead of relocating. Overall, my experience with Union Pacific was a positive one. I am thankful for their offer to relocate or take a buy-out. If I didn't have to move, I would have stayed with the company.
Pros
low stress, paid holidays
Cons
short breaks, not much vacation time, no sick days
Not applicable
Manager -Yard Operations (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAJanuary 3, 2016
Good employer to work for. A company that spends valuable time training their employess. Each employee is well trained in various departments in the company.
Great job . very challenging
Railroad Conductor (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJanuary 1, 2016
Workers are great to work with really helpful.Work is very challenging. Management really doesn't understand the job so that makes it difficult.
Pros
Great pay and healthcare
Cons
Very slow right now not enough work . So i got laid off
Poorly Managed and Unethical Culture
Manager Locomotive Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 31, 2015
Union Pacific compensates their employees very well not for their talents and innovation, but for their inconvenience of working long hours without many days of holidays off. The culture allows for the good old boy system to prosper, and the status quo is embraced. The common thought throughout the company is "Why change it, that's the way we've always done it?" Union Pacific makes money in spite of themselves since they operate in an Oligopoly. Do not recommend working for Union Pacific unless you can not find work elsewhere; last resort only
Pros
Well Paying, Easy Advancement
Cons
Little Ownership or Freedom to make changes, unethical culture embraced
Excellent benefits
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 30, 2015
Typical work day of 12 hours on-call to a particular assignment.
Learned additional skills to match the companies formal training.
Management was very helpful with advice of any situation.
Co-workers are a great resource of help, and recommendations.
The hardest part of the job was the on-call schedule.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the participating in the team work to accomplish our assignment.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
On-call schedule
WILD RIDE
Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARDecember 29, 2015
GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE,GREAT CO-WORKERS, YOU WORK RAIN OR SHINE,THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS PUTTING UP WITH MANAGEMENT.
Pros
GOOD PAY
Cons
MANAGEMENT
railroad
road/gang machinist (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 28, 2015
log into your equip. drive to job site . support gang to repair what needed.job brief with workers , talk about safety issues that need tended to.
Pros
good benefits, safety oriented
Cons
lots of travel, hard on family life
Managment only cares about one thing, Production.
Lead Locomotive Machinist (Relief Foreman) (Current Employee) –  WisconsinDecember 27, 2015
Production is the only thing on the minds of management, Safety is not a high priority other then to the people completing the job. With the business so up and down there is absolutely no room for advancement within the company. Apply at a higher scaled position at a different railroad and you will probably get it. Its happened to two people i personally know that either left or got laid off from UP. the Benefits are awesome for someone with a family and nothing can touch the retirement payouts. The co-workers all band together and push for more safety and better tooling to complete the work safety and in accordance to company process but with cut-backs being so insane at the current moment the tooling or equipment is rarely seen unless an individual is hurt completing a task that should have been complete with a company standard tool. Management beats around the bush with everything that is brought up from safety within the location to company wide business, they never tell us straight up what is going on within the business or give a logical answer to why we cant get new tooling or equipment to complete the job safer and more efficiently. The hardest part of my job as relief shop foreman is the thought while walking into work day after day of what i did wrong the day prior. The most enjoyable part of my day is working with a good tight nit crew who cares about doing the job safely, correctly, and accurately
Good job but poor management
Sheet Metal Worker/Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  North Platte, NEDecember 23, 2015
The work was good. Thought and decision making going into the work was minimal. The management and job position structure was very poor. Very little management and subordinate interaction. I did not like how the jobs were set up, they are not performance based but seniority based. Whether or not you could do a job was not the concern there, only seniority was the concern. Family life is not considered in job placement either. A single parent is not given the opportunity to hold a decent hourly job compared to a single person. In other words, it did not matter to management if you had children and could only work first shift. They made no accommodations or considerations for them. The coworkers had really poor attitudes and the job site as a whole had low moral.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Job structuring, management

Want to know more about Union Pacific?

Ask a question
The money almost makes it worth it.
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  North Lake, ILDecember 17, 2015
Union Pacific Railroad is probably one of the tops railroad companies out there. However, despite knowing what I was getting myself into the job/work life balance is terrible. When its busy its busy. You are only going to get 10 hours off work, and be called to report to work within 90 minutes. But the plus side to that is the compensation is amazing. You work but you really get paid well. The benefits are also great. I am currently furloughed and would love to go back tomorrow just because of the pay, but not only is there no job security because of the possibility of a furlough, the managers are also out to fire you for the smallest mistakes. Overall its a big sacrifice for the pay.
Management unaccountable, lead employees by gun point.
Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  all over the U.S.December 16, 2015
The only people who keep the railroad running is the men and women on the ground getting their hands dirty. Management has lost focus of the task at hand and that goes all the way up to the CEO. When they need a bonus they fire people and it's usually the people on the ground who make the company successful. When I mean a bonus I mean upwards of 20 million dollars for the CEO and CFO in one year and that's with company stock being sub par all year. Pull the 10k financial statement to see the facts...
They promote dishonest and egregious managers. When you need something done you'll be talking to their voicemail with no response back. When you take it in your own hands you get their hindsight...
Wage is decent because it's a union job but the union is loosing traction because they're too lazy to keep the employees organized. I am pro union in theory but have never been impressed by their actions since they're more concerned about the money you pay them. There needs to be more accountability in this country in general and less paper shuffling...
Pros
Pay is decent, thats it.
Cons
Management and up. No sick days, tons of travel
Good job but seniority is everything
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Dalhart, TXDecember 14, 2015
Good paying job. Good benefits and retirement benefits the only thing is that everything is senority. Its about a five year plan and have to deal with getting furloughed.
Pros
benifits
Cons
furloughed
Dynamic Challenges
Manager of Yard Operations (Current Employee) –  La Salle, CODecember 12, 2015
Every day is unique and presents constant problems and unique situations to overcome. Each day’s dynamic challenges with limited resources adds to excitement and sense of accomplishment daily. Union Pacific being a transportation Logistics Company requires sound and timely decision making; wherein, each decision can either save or cost the company tens of thousands of dollars and can even lead to a customer shutting down if commodities not delivered on time. The requirements of this fast paced job can be stressful, but also extremely rewarding in the sense of daily accomplishments.
Pros
Dynamic challenges to overcome daily add excitment to job and sense of accomplishment.
Cons
Every manager regularly reminded of upcoming cuts due to company downsizing.
good pay, poor management
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 10, 2015
management is very unprofessional
employees are very poorly managed
no respect in the work place
Lack of communication threw out the company
Pros
benifits and pay
Cons
misrible place to work
Minimal stress with great benefits
Diesel Electrician (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 10, 2015
Installing new electronic systems for special Federal project was great. Every now and then I got a chance to do maintenance and make modifications on various locomotives.

Most of my coworkers became a family over time. The shop closed down so that's the only reason why I'm not there now. Would've been a pretty good place to retire.
Pros
great medical benefits
Cons
shop closing down in a few months so not stable job
Law Enforcement
GENERAL MANAGER OF OPERATING PRACTICES (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 9, 2015
Small department that has limited resources and budget. Great work practices and opportunity to learn. The department requires assistance from other law enforcement groups in the event of major incidnets.
Pros
Support from town
Cons
Low pay
Lifestyle change
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2015
lifestyle change that will completely through you through the loop and have you frustrated and upset. Once you get pass the poor management and the seniority issues everything changes for the better
Great Company as far as you have enough senority
Journeyman Machinist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 8, 2015
Good company to work for, just have to accept that there is going to be a focus on working strange hours for a few years before being able to enjoy a family. Plenty of options to advance to be a foreman but again you have to put in the years first. Mechanical side is easy going, just as long as you are in a main facility. Moneys good, jobs super easy. Managers are pushy and dim but can be handled.
Pros
good money, easy pace work, cool experience
Cons
lay offs, lots and lots of lay offs, working stupid shifts and odd days off.
Outstanding organization
Mechanical Service Operator (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 5, 2015
Union Pacific Railroad is a strong organization that I would gladly work for again. The overall culture is positive and the pay and benefits are outstanding. My original plan upon getting hired was to complete my college education and move up within the company. Due to the closing of the facility in Denver, Co I would be forced to transfer and prolong my academic career. I believe that my skills and work ethic could be beneficial elsewhere. I learned how to manage my time efficiently and developed my interpersonal communication skills through working closely with management.
Pros
Health Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Shift work with what would be considered less than ideal days off