Union Pacific

Union Pacific Employer Reviews

fun traveling; running machinery;
Machine Operator/ Laborer (Former Employee), Roseville, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: working and running heavy equipment; travel; co-workers
Cons: no advancement; healthcare;
Through the years of working at Union Pacific Railroad, I got to learn a great number of things and work with great people. One of the most exciting things to do is to run the Spike Machine. I worked with replacing ties.
The downside was after working there for more than 17 years, as much as I tried for advancement, I was never given the opportunity for one. Therefore, my pay would never change.
Grateful for the opportunity
Command Center Locomotive Manager in Colorado (Former Employee), Denver, COJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: coordinating schedules when short staffed
The Union Pacific afforded me the opportunity to begin my employment at 19 years of age as a communication lineman. From there I was able to work my way up to Denver Command Center Locomotive Manager. The UP promoted an environment of positive working relationships, growth potential and longevity. I enjoyed the intensity each position provided. Although there were many unique challenges, the comradery I experienced with my co-workers left me with lifelong friendships. The most challenging aspects of my job included coordination and control of employee scheduling, budgeting and confronting Colorado weather conditions. Each day presented its own demands but was extremely gratifying.
hardworking and good at being safe on the job
Mechanical Service Operator (Current Employee), North Little Rock, ARJanuary 3, 2015
use radio communication following fra regulations to build locomotive train consist to operate and drive trains for union pacific railroad according to the assigned train orders. perform job and safety briefings and set up locomotive shop
it is not worth it!!!!
trackman,driver (Former Employee), system- texasJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: when you get off work to recover from the backstacking gossipers!
Cons: go there and find out! you will need plenty of medication!
Worst company i ever worker for in 42 years. Everybody backstabbs and gossips all day long. ......grown men! How pathetic!!!! And i mean literally!
Team Player
Conductor (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 1, 2015
I am an efficient team player and creative thinker with the ability to quickly grasp and utilize new ideas and information. My goal is to join a company where my skills can be utilized and I can experience career growth.
Self motivated/directed
Freight Conductor, Remote Control Operator (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 26, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: 24/7, in climate weather, 20 minute lunch break
Giving a list of tracks needed to be switched out. Usually 90 to 100 railroad cars. As foreman you determined how to switch out cars with the least amount of moves required, saving time, fuel, locomotive wear and tear.
Longevity
Conductor/Trainman (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 20, 2014
Pros: compesation
Cons: quality of life
Typical job. Lots of micro Managing. Home life not so good always on call. The job is senoirity based. Never have a weekend off. always work nights.
Loved my job wit Union Pacific
Implementation Manager (Former Employee), Omaha, NEDecember 17, 2014
Traveled a lot and managed work force in implementing new systems and software at various locations on the railroad.. The hardest part was being away from my family but otherwise had nothing but good time with any position.
very strict job
conductor (Former Employee), Livonia, LADecember 15, 2014
If you are a new hire make sure you do no wrong are you will be fired.
fun place to work
Train, Engine and Yard Employee (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 9, 2014
learned sales and customer service techniques. good employees. enjoyed high physical out put.
Fantastic History, Exemplary Company
Business Car Steward (Current Employee), Omaha, NEDecember 3, 2014
UP is a fantastic company to work for. They take care of their employees in every way imaginable.
productive
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee), Shreveport, LADecember 2, 2014
Pros: benefits are great
Cons: time a way from family
great benefits, a lot of travel but pay is great. learned alot and meet all types of people. Can be demanding at times.
Conductor
Foreman/Conductor (Former Employee), ColtonNovember 21, 2014
Would have been a great job if I did not get furloughed. Great pay and benefits but on call work is not for everybody. I wish the job worked out for me as I really looked forward to working at UPRR. Hopefully others who have recently been hired do not face furlough as many of my class did.
Harsh work environment and horrible hours.
Fireman & Engineer-in-Training / Conductor (Current Employee), Roseville, CANovember 19, 2014
not for everyone but I loved it.

Long and unpredictable hours in a dangerous work environment with a union vs management, oppressive corporate culture.
An amazing place to work
Electrician (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2014
UP is an amazing company to work for and there is plenty of opportunity for job growth. The pay is great and the benefits are amazing.
Nice job great benefits
Conductor (Current Employee), Longview, TXNovember 14, 2014
I love the benefits on our job. Where most companies insurance won't pay for certain things our insurance pays almost for everything... Also, the pay is great...
Great place to work! Great leaning experiece.
Logistic Service Representative (Former Employee), Omaha, NENovember 6, 2014
my career at the UNION PACIFIC railroad was a very rewarding experience.
Good job with potential
Conductor (Former Employee), Denver, CONovember 3, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: hours
Management was willing to work with you to ensure that you knew how to perform the task correctly and safely
Communication System Hardware Design Intern (Current Employee), Omaha, NEOctober 27, 2014
Pros: great people and management, lots of opportunity for growth, benefits.
Cons: none really, unless you like to be unsafe. safety is big at up!
Awesome place to work, would recommend to anyone. The culture is good with lots of intelligent and happy individuals. It is not uncommon to hear laughter several times a day.
long hours rough for family man
conductor (Former Employee), Northlake, ILOctober 15, 2014
long hours working and not home often. the management was hard to contact if you need help and the hardest part of the job is being away from home non stop

About Union Pacific

Union Pacific Corporation (UPC) is engaged in the transportation business. The Company’s operating company, Union Pacific – Read more