Union Pacific

Union Pacific Employer Reviews

Fantastic History, Exemplary Company
Business Car Steward (Current Employee), Omaha, NEDecember 3, 2014
UP is a fantastic company to work for. They take care of their employees in every way imaginable.
productive
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee), Shreveport, LADecember 2, 2014
Pros: benefits are great
Cons: time a way from family
great benefits, a lot of travel but pay is great. learned alot and meet all types of people. Can be demanding at times.
Conductor
Foreman/Conductor (Former Employee), ColtonNovember 21, 2014
Would have been a great job if I did not get furloughed. Great pay and benefits but on call work is not for everybody. I wish the job worked out for me as I really looked forward to working at UPRR. Hopefully others who have recently been hired do not face furlough as many of my class did.
Harsh work environment and horrible hours.
Fireman & Engineer-in-Training / Conductor (Current Employee), Roseville, CANovember 19, 2014
not for everyone but I loved it.

Long and unpredictable hours in a dangerous work environment with a union vs management, oppressive corporate culture.
An amazing place to work
Electrician (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2014
UP is an amazing company to work for and there is plenty of opportunity for job growth. The pay is great and the benefits are amazing.
Nice job great benefits
Conductor (Current Employee), Longview, TXNovember 14, 2014
I love the benefits on our job. Where most companies insurance won't pay for certain things our insurance pays almost for everything... Also, the pay is great...
Great place to work! Great leaning experiece.
Logistic Service Representative (Former Employee), Omaha, NENovember 6, 2014
my career at the UNION PACIFIC railroad was a very rewarding experience.
Good job with potential
Conductor (Former Employee), Denver, CONovember 3, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: hours
Management was willing to work with you to ensure that you knew how to perform the task correctly and safely
Communication System Hardware Design Intern (Current Employee), Omaha, NEOctober 27, 2014
Pros: great people and management, lots of opportunity for growth, benefits.
Cons: none really, unless you like to be unsafe. safety is big at up!
Awesome place to work, would recommend to anyone. The culture is good with lots of intelligent and happy individuals. It is not uncommon to hear laughter several times a day.
long hours rough for family man
conductor (Former Employee), Northlake, ILOctober 15, 2014
long hours working and not home often. the management was hard to contact if you need help and the hardest part of the job is being away from home non stop
Manager
Manager (Former Employee), Salem, ILOctober 13, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: poor work/ quality of life.
good job, lots of chances to move up in the company. Worked several places, and different jobs. The people that worked for me was hard workers.
best years of my life
Railcar Inspector and Relief Supervisor (Former Employee), Portland OregonSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: greay pay
This is where I thought that I was going to retire until the economy collapsed and I was furloughed twice in one year and could not hold on any longer.
Not too happy
TRACK INSPECTOR (Current Employee), Beaumont, TXSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: hours are too long
Just not a good place to work. Days are long and no home life. Just not a happy place. It is a career you can retire from but will have no physical strength left.
Great working environment, and I enjoyed the ability to be in charge of such a big responsibility.
Railroad Conductor/Engineer Trainee (Former Employee), North Little Rock, ARSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: worked with some great individuals.
Cons: being on call, 24/7, 365.
Great company with great benefits, and the working environment was good. There was always someone there that could help me out if I had any questions about anything that I was unsure of.
Safe workplace
Conductor / Brake Man /Switch Man (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2014
I enjoyed delivering and building trains from multiple yards on multiple railroads.
Motel rooms are my life
Trainmen (Former Employee), Roseville, CASeptember 1, 2014
Pros: great co workers, pay, bannies
Cons: travel.
Good pay and you get to travel ALOT ...somtimes a high senority employee will bump you and you have to look for another spot, you work in all weather and walk alot in the yard
fun place
Principle Systems Trainer (Current Employee), Topeka, KSAugust 22, 2014
fun place to work, good for a kids first job. Not much room for advancement
Outstanding Company!!!
Field Signal Supervisor (Current Employee), Omaha, NEAugust 22, 2014
Pros: great work enviroment
Cons: on call 24/7 during all weather conditions
For the past 14 years I have served as a Journeyman Signal Control Maintainer for the Union Pacific Railroad. For the past 5 years, I have served as a Field Signal Control Planning Supervisor, and was responsible for ensuring that my Company remained in Compliance with both State and Federal environmental policies and guidelines.

With safety being our primary responsibility, my position was to ensure that our employees maintain and pursue Continual Process Improvement. I am fluent in Hazardous Waste and Pollutant Management and Mitigation, with over 14 years of direct experience with a Class 5 railroad. I am also familiar with wet land policies, permitting, and adhering to both State and Federal Regulatory Guidelines and Procedures, with emphasis on both Environmental Employee Safety Behavior and Risk Mitigation.
Good place to for
work equipment manchanic (Current Employee), san antonio, txAugust 15, 2014
great place to work at lots benefits mangement is great co worker work together meet alot of different people keeping up with changes
good pay/benefits and job securement.
Machinist (Current Employee), Bloomington, CAAugust 3, 2014
Pros: good pay, good benefits, easy work
Cons: management, hours
The overall job is easy and not stressful. If you enjoy working on heavy equipment you will enjoy working here. Management is based upon micromanagement. This system of management does not work well with the employees and the work environment is hostile. The work can be difficult but overall is easy and fun. The hours suck. Its a union based job meaning your job position is based upon seniority. There is 3 shifts. More than likely you will be placed on 3rd shift with a Tuesday , Wednesday off.

About Union Pacific

Union Pacific Corporation (UPC) is engaged in the transportation business. The Company’s operating company, Union Pacific – Read more

Union Pacific Salaries