Union Pacific Employee Reviews in United States

Quality of life
MANAGER OF TRAINING AND ATTENDANCE (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 12, 2015
Union Pacific is a good employer, with great compensation, retirement, etc. The problem with working for the railroad, is your quality of life will suffer. The pay is commensurate with your poor quality of life. You may get home and get called to come back to work after your rest period expires. For managers are expected on call 24/7
Grateful
Engineer/HR Technical Trainer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 17, 2015
After 10+ years of dedicated employment I was released in their new program called workforce reduction. 100% compliant, 100% safety record, and no disciplinary infractions...Now, Isn't that something?
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Red Tape, Politics, and the Good ole Boys network
Different workplace environment with different cultures
Conductor/Remote Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, Tx, Avondale, La, Livonia, LaAugust 17, 2015
This is a really good job that pays well with excellent benefits but sometimes the company goes through rough periods in which jobs, as well as money is cut. In order to really survive, seniority with the company plays a big role. Employees with high and top seniority have the most job stability while those with low seniority suffer when jobs are cut due to oil and gas prices and production. This job is very dangerous and one is to work safe at all times. Not only is your life on the line, but how you work also can have an effect on the next person, as well as the next like a "domino effect." Also this job requires work in all types of weather inclement so in the summer its extremely hot and winter very cold. Hydration is key and preached each and every day on the job. As stated before, this job pays very well and the benefits and retirement are exceptional, but people applying should also realize that you are away from home more than often. One should converse with their spouse or family before considering the railroad as a career. Overall, I enjoy it.
Pros
Exceptional pay, benefits, retirement
Cons
Variety of work hours and away from home all the time
Productive work place
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  North Platte, NEJune 19, 2015
Long days, I've learned so much in the Rail industry, Upper management needs to be more involved and not so micro managed. Individuals with a college education are telling us how to do our job, and they have NO railroad experience what so ever. So much time, money and crews are spent on ridiculous moves and horrible call times.

The hardest part of my job is fatigue Horrible train line ups on knowing when your actually going to be called to work.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers and teaching new hires and students. Not one question is a stupid question in the rail industry. Its a dangerous, but rewarding field if you take pride and work safe at it.
Pros
good living for my family with benefits
Cons
No company matched 401k
Overall good career opportunity
Train Crew/Switchmen (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAAugust 12, 2015
Working on the railroad was not difficult at all. The toughest part of my day was working in the outside elements. (extreme heat, rain, etc.) The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie amongst the employees. Everyone got along great for the most part. I learned the ins and outs of transporting freight.
Pros
compensation/benefits
Cons
job security/advancement, also your life is the railroad basically. It takes away from family time
Good Money
Conductor/Engineer (Current Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNJanuary 10, 2016
The money is the best part of this career path. Long hours, being on call 24/7 and then the management is always looking for a reason to fire or suspend you. Job security comes with time but currently something like 40% are laid off.
great work, good pay
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 4, 2016
long hours but learned to work with multiple personalities.
management is everywhere always watching but fair.
great mentors and co workers
good pay and getting to see the sights along the tracks going over the mountain.
Pros
good pay, good work
My dream job
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Clinton, IAMay 10, 2016
I was hired on by Union Pacific on January 12,2015 and haven't looked back since. I worked for the company all the way until October when a downturn in the market and economy forced the company to make multiple furloughs in which I am currently a furloughed employee with no immediate callback date. However, despite this I have no complaints about the company. The pay is more than fair, the benefits are second to none, and you have a lot more home time than people will tell you even if it is slightly irregular. It can be demanding work but for someone like me who doesn't mind it and enjoys going different places i love it. Highly recommend this to anyone.
Pros
Great pay, Great benefits
Cons
irregular work schedule
my experience with union pacific railroad
railroad conductor and locomotive engineer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 1, 2016
As one of the few companies to have been in business over 150 yrs the history of this company is like the history and construction of this country and I was always very proud of that.The company itself has always been very safety oriented and the job of moving freight is a responsibility i never take lightly.As far as the company is concerned all levels of management have always been supportive and they try and produce and environment that allows you to do your job safely and make a good living.
Pros
salary, brotherhood, security and benefits
Cons
lifestyle, travel, unpredictability
Freight Train Conductor
Conductor/Remote Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Sweetwater, TXOctober 16, 2015
I enjoy riding and working with trains. The people I work with are good people. Great benefits and great pay. The retirement is one of the best out there for now.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
low seniority is hard to hold a job
Awesome place to work
Logistics Manager / Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 24, 2015
Union Pacific is a great place to work. There are several programs in place to support employees and ensure that each employee's potential is being recognized.
Benefits
Cons
Frequent relocation depending on the position
Great compensation but no life.
Train Crew (Former Employee) –  Avondale, LAJune 9, 2015
Union Pacific provides a great compensation however the trade off is you can have no life. You are constantly on call until you get enough seniority to get off the extra board which can take years. You are required to become an engineer which gives you a new seniority date so even after being established as a conductor you are then subject to being moved around again. You can be moved anywhere in the service unit which for Avondale LA goes all the way to the Mexican boarder. The insurance was $200 a month for an entire family which was good. A great job for someone with no family or other commitments.
Pros
Pay and insurance.
Cons
On call schedule, working in all conditions
Different Work Environment
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Altoona, WIJuly 28, 2015
Completely different than i had expected. Very easy for a former military person like myself to pick up. You need a strong work ethic and a willingness to accomplish a mission with little to no guidance and or notice. Family balance is what you make of it, time management is key. Excellent compensation and benefits. Not what they promised as far as job stability.
Miserable
Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXMay 11, 2016
Only positive about company is pay and benefits and retirement.

You're on call 24/7/365, and that would be all good if they followed the agreements they signed, instead of violating everything on a daily basis, which if you try to take corrective action or not answer because you are not required to pick the phone up at that moment, they try to take your job.

Management is CONSTANTLY testing (in illegal testing procedures/made up rules) /harassing/ spying on you and looking for the smallest thing to fire/terminate you on, and its only getting worse every day.

The compensated time off they give you (personal leave days and vacation days), you might as well throw it away because you arent allowed to take any due to "manpower" ALL THE TIME.....so youre forced to take sick days and then they pull you out of service and try to take your job for violating and unwritten, made up on the spot by every manager, "attendance policy".

Overall, if you like no life and lots of money that you wont have time to use or benefits you wont have time to worry about using, this company is for you.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Pretty much everything
Great company
Labor Relations Intern (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 24, 2016
More of a family than an employer. I felt like management always cared about me and my career. I was given many opportunities to experience different aspects the company.
Enjoyed freedom to self supervise
Engineer and Conductor (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NevadaJuly 1, 2015
Worked and qualified as Switchman, Brakeman and Engineer. Spent 11 years working mainly as a trainman. This entailed all duties involving railcar movement, switching and paperwork. Also helped Engineer remain alert and attentive. Helped comply with all track conditions and speed restrictions while traveling to various locations
Pros
Good benefits and great retirement
Cons
Varied schedule with poor job security
Safety sensitive position requiring situational awareness and ongoing skill development.
Freight train conductor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 23, 2015
The position of freight train conductor was an on-call, 24/7 job requiring off-duty rest by law and requiring alertness and attention to detail when at work. Trust and confidence in co-workers is essential to safely moving a train. The sometimes unexpected hours can at times be difficult to navigate, but experience and common sense go far in adjusting to the needs of the industry. Working outdoors was a great experience. Adjusting to changing weather conditions and all the complications that could result was challenging.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Long hours away from home.
Fun and Adventurous job
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Northlake, ILMay 20, 2016
it is most definitely the most exciting job I've ever had. you learn a lot about how to assemble trains and how to operate them on the freight side. On the commuter side of things getting the opportunity to work for metra was extremely fun. it was more fast paced than freight but you get to meet a lot of nice people and travel to cities you may have never seen previously.
Pros
great pay, excellent benefits, getting to travel
Cons
job security(with everything being senority based theres not much job security for the newer people)
Great benefits, but very long hours.
Manager Yard Operations (Former Employee) –  Mira LomaMay 19, 2015
The day started at 0500, and ended at 1700. I learned a lot about resource management, and how one person can impact the bottom line. I learned how to manage people, and work through conflict situations. The toughest part of the job was the hours. I often worked 14-16 hour days. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I interacted with on a daily basis. Getting to know them, and helping them become better at their job was very rewarding.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Great benefits but no job security
Engineer / Conductor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2015
By following the company's policy, we transport customers products safely and efficient. I've learned all the requirements to be a certified conductor. Also with a promotion I've learned all the requirements to be a certified locomotive engineer. When working with coworkers as a team to get the job done, it is very important to have communication and trust in each other. The hardest part of the job is worrying about losing your job. From there massive layoffs to holding you accountable for someone else's negligence because you were working together. The best part is the medical benefits it has for your family.
Pros
medical benifits
Cons
Job security

4.3