Union Pacific

Union Pacific Employer Reviews

LOVE THIS JOB!!
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CANovember 18, 2013
Pros: great pay, a lot of overtime
Cons: on call, long hours of 15+
IT'S A LOT OF HARD WORK AND A LOT OF HOURS!!!! YOUR ALWAYS ON CALL AND ITS IDEAL FOR SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE A FAMILY AS YOU ARE TRAVELING A LOT!
Good Company
Train Dispatcher (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CANovember 15, 2013
Well paying job. Good benefits. Fast-paced work environment.
Put together many freight trains, delivered commodities to feed the world as well.
Conductor/Brakeman (Former Employee), Janesville, WINovember 11, 2013
Pros: great pay, hard work, tough weather and durable too.
Cons: clearing track points in blizzards, the pits but did it as a part of program.
A great company to work for. Until General Motors closed I worked freight yards in Milwaukee and Janesville, WI.
After Hurrican Katrina drenched the South, I volunteered with other crews and worked East Texas, Louisiana too.
When GM shut down the Janesville plant I was furloughed.
Taught as a Substitute for awhile until Summers came.
Just an ok company
Freight Train Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Stockton, CANovember 8, 2013
Pros: money
Cons: never home
Great for a single guy. Not so wonderful for a family guy. would not work for them again. After becoming engineer qualified moved me to Salt Lake City from Stockton Ca, with a weeks notice.
Was my first real job.
Track Foreman (Former Employee), Houston TXNovember 5, 2013
Was my first real job and my longest ever. That job mad me mature as a man. And it was a nice place to work.
Diverse
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Omaha, NEOctober 27, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: low perdium
You spend your day working around train schedules. I learned how to supervise work groups. Manage is hard to get along with. The constant traveling to other states at a drop of a hat. Working in popular cities.
Working for a manager who gave out assignments and let you do your job.
Equipment Supervisor (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 22, 2013
Pros: all was a great place to work
Cons: some late night call outs.
Very interesting position with many new friends that were a team and customers that were friendly and enjoyed my work ethics.
excellent place to work
train conductor (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXOctober 21, 2013
safety is number one! great place to work, always exciting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Very informal, learned so much from Union Pacific
Market Analyst Internship (Former Employee), Tuskegee, ALOctober 18, 2013
Worked along side my classmates on researching ways to increase the profits of U.P.!
railroad
conductor and RCO operator (Current Employee), North Littlr Rock Service UnitOctober 15, 2013
a lot of moving state to state unknow work hours on call 24/7, management out to fire you from day 1,co-workers will not help
Payroll problems
Remote Control Engineer / Freight Train Conductor (Former Employee), Dunsmuir, CAOctober 7, 2013
I enjoyed the work very much but due to the system used, on three occasions I did not get paid for work performed. This ultimately led to my decision to discontinue my employment.
Good pay and benefits.
Conductor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: on call 24/7
Build trains and work with dispatchers in delivering to suppliers. Learned Fra rules and regulations for trains. You work with a different co-worker everyday depending on seniority. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the schedule and new rules. The best part of the job is the pay and benefits.
Conductor
Conductor & Brakeman (Former Employee), Des Moines, IASeptember 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: union job start from the bottom
Union job, you start at the bottom and work your way up but the economy will directly affect your job security, Enjoyed the work but you are on call 24hrs a day.
Relocating
Engineer Seniority Date (Current Employee), Herington, KSSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: money and benefits
Cons: no family life
Good job. Just relocating due to marriage.

I've been at this 19 years. I am 5th generation in the railroad in my family.

I operate locomotives and run trains both on the road and in the yard.

Co-Workers are amazing

Hardest part is no family life

Enjoyable every pay day.
typical Big Corp
Senior Manager - finance (Former Employee), omahaSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: clickish
Pay was great and so were the employees. The job was totally not.appreciated.
The total work experience totally lacking in appreciation if you were not an MBA from a big school.
I did enjoy working
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 3, 2013
The railroad was a great place to work. The people were great and had lots of help for you if needed
Great place to work and Great people to work with
Crane Operator/ Spotter (Current Employee), Joliet, ILAugust 30, 2013
Pros: great overtime
Cons: not a good union
I have been working for the rail road for over 18 years, and i have been a overhead Crane Operator/ Spotter. Been Operating the overhead crane for about more then 16 years and running the spotter trucks two years before i started running the crane.I love working for this company but i think its time for something new and better.
Very busy enviroment and great opprotunities for advancement
Crew Dispatcher/Accounting/Customer Service (Former Employee), Omaha, NEAugust 25, 2013
Pros: pay, advancement
Cons: breaks, lunches and working 3 shift, layoffs
Since I have held three different positions in this company I can advancement is great. I have learn about union laws and how it pertains to payroll and guidelines with the employees. My co workers were willing to assist with any problems or questions I ever had with my position. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to get so much experience – more... in different areas of the company making myself more educated about my different jobs. – less
An exciting place to work.
Asset Manager (Current Employee), Omaha, NEAugust 20, 2013
A stable company and a good place to work. My co-workers were helpful. I have learned how important the rail industry is to the transportation world. The most enjoyable thing about my current position is it's flexibility and I performed almost no tactical functions. Upper management was about making things better for the customers, the company, and – more... the employees. – less
Challenging and rewarding work. Enjoyable work environment
MANAGER STRUCTURES DESIGN (Current Employee), Omaha, NEJuly 22, 2013
I work at the UPRR headquarters in Omaha, NE where I lead the Structures Design - Public Projects group. My typical day involves reviewing design plans, assigning work to consultants when necessary, tracking group performance with excel sheets I've created, providing technical support to my reports, creating and updating standard and also creating and – more... updating guideline documents.

There are many aspects of my job which are enjoyable.
a) Providing positive and helpful leadership to direct reports.
b) Ability to create process improvements which result in increased productivity and quality.
c) I can travel as much or as little as I choose.
d) My hours are very consistent and this position allows a lot of time with my family.

The most difficult aspect of this job is keeping up with the high number of reviews we receive. I have 3 direct reports and together we review all public structures on the entire UPRR 23 state system. – less

About Union Pacific

Union Pacific Corporation (UPC) is engaged in the transportation business. The Company’s operating company, Union Pacific – Read more