Union Pacific

Union Pacific Employer Reviews

Very Organized and expanding Company
Fireman Oiler/ MSO (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: great benefits for my family.
Cons: mandatory shift change
Union Pacific RailRoad taught me alot of things such as how to Lead, train, work smarter, and how to be a great team player. I gained a Certified Locomotive Engineer Lisence with the company and also good friends. Working as a team on a daily basis were my best time of the day getting the job done with other experience engineers.
no advancement no raises no sympathy or gratitude
unloader (Current Employee), Mira Loma, CAJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: good ramp manager
Cons: no breaks or raises. dead end.
I DO NOT WORK FOR UNION PACIFIC I ONLY WORK ON THEIR YARD UNION PACIFIC IS A VERY GOOD EMPLOYER TO WORK FOR. very little chance for advancement little pay long hours with no brakes no raises what so ever. No sympathy from higher ups what so ever or gratitude. no over time until over 10 hours of work. Caliber auto transfer higher ups wonder why no one – more... is willing to go the extra mile. My ramp manger is a good guy glad to be on his team anyone beyond that not so much. – less
high stress career
Locomotive Manager (Current Employee), Omaha, NEDecember 31, 2013
In charge of the Locomotive blue network witch includes NLR, FTW, and ST Louis terminals. I find opportunities for enhancing service, increasing productivity and reducing costs. I work in planning and analyzing data to monitor performance and plan improvements and demands of corridors lines to ensure that we meet internal and external client needs.
good company to work for
Conductor (Former Employee), Spokane, WADecember 26, 2013
Pros: benifits
Cons: some management
work outdors with good people. Like working with heavy equipment and travel
Total Disappointment
Conductor (Former Employee), Denver, CODecember 21, 2013
Pros: cool job & co-workers
Cons: furloughs, furloughs!!!
First of all, if you're thinking about becoming a conductor, you need to ignore ALL reviews by the folks in Omaha or in management for that matter. Their experience at UP will be nothing like what you experience.
I really loved this job, but the non-stop furloughs meant my checkbook was battered. In the two years I was at UP, I was furloughed for well – more... over half that time. During the hiring session they said we would be furloughed for a "few weeks" during winter. Not true. Plus, you get NO railroad or state unemployment your first year. I saw guys lose their cars, homes, wives and many applied for food stamps. Awesome that a billion dollar company does this to their "valued" employees.
The culture is beyond toxic. Total Mgmt vs. Union. Management is taught to despise their employees and will write you up for the most minor, non-sensical infractions. And it's done arbitrarily. Most managers have zero critical thinking ability and are puppets with senior managers pulling the strings. – less
Can't go wrong with a Union Job
Signalman (Former Employee), Grand Island, NEDecember 17, 2013
Pros: excellent pay, great insurance
Cons: lots of travel and schedule is very unforgiving
This was a great job to have. I took the job for benefits and was not disappointed. Great people to work with, lots of travel, and lots of fun!
Great place to work when working
Conductor (Former Employee), Bloomington, CADecember 17, 2013
Pros: the pay, the benefits, the discounts
Cons: being furloughed a lot
typical day at work can be long depends on the job. I learned a lot about railroading and the type of business involved. Management there is kind of tricky, some want you to be afraid of them others are pretty cool. Hardest part of the job learning the territory and different jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job is you'll never build the same train – more... twice, the pay, and just doing new things – less
electrician-denver locomotive repair
Diesel Electrician (Former Employee), Denver, CODecember 15, 2013
Pros: coworkers were not that bad
Cons: poor training
not that bad if you like working midnights and poor management

forced out after work place accident
Fun, hard and productive work
Conductor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 15, 2013
There isn't a balance between your personal life and work life. Always on call with a minimum of 2 hours notice to report to work.
Fantastic place to work- but VERY difficult to balance home/work life
Anonymous (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNDecember 13, 2013
Pros: benefits, management, salary
Cons: work/life balance
UP is an amazing company with excellent opportunities for advancement, and fantastic benefits. All the employees are wonderful. Demands are VERY significant for work/travel. If you want your life to be about work, this is the place for you. If you want a healthy balance, maybe not so much.
productive workplace
Railroad Engineer (Current Employee), Dupo, ILDecember 1, 2013
Pros: working here
Cons: not enough people on the board
Print paper work
do set outs/pick ups
I learn something new on a daily basis
Management instructs us on location of train and what is on the itinerary for the day
I enjoy meeting new co workers and get along with just about everyone
The hardest part of the job is missing out on time with my family
I love all aspects of my job, there is something new – more... and interesting every day. – less
Great Benefits
Conductor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXNovember 20, 2013
Pros: pay, medical, dental, vision
Cons: senority base, layoffs, furlough
24/7 job
paper work
travel often
on call
the hardest part of the job is time management
the most enjoyable part of the job is the pay and benefits
LOVE THIS JOB!!
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CANovember 18, 2013
Pros: great pay, a lot of overtime
Cons: on call, long hours of 15+
IT'S A LOT OF HARD WORK AND A LOT OF HOURS!!!! YOUR ALWAYS ON CALL AND ITS IDEAL FOR SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE A FAMILY AS YOU ARE TRAVELING A LOT!
Good Company
Train Dispatcher (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CANovember 15, 2013
Well paying job. Good benefits. Fast-paced work environment.
Put together many freight trains, delivered commodities to feed the world as well.
Conductor/Brakeman (Former Employee), Janesville, WINovember 11, 2013
Pros: great pay, hard work, tough weather and durable too.
Cons: clearing track points in blizzards, the pits but did it as a part of program.
A great company to work for. Until General Motors closed I worked freight yards in Milwaukee and Janesville, WI.
After Hurrican Katrina drenched the South, I volunteered with other crews and worked East Texas, Louisiana too.
When GM shut down the Janesville plant I was furloughed.
Taught as a Substitute for awhile until Summers came.
Just an ok company
Freight Train Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Stockton, CANovember 8, 2013
Pros: money
Cons: never home
Great for a single guy. Not so wonderful for a family guy. would not work for them again. After becoming engineer qualified moved me to Salt Lake City from Stockton Ca, with a weeks notice.
Was my first real job.
Track Foreman (Former Employee), Houston TXNovember 5, 2013
Was my first real job and my longest ever. That job mad me mature as a man. And it was a nice place to work.
Diverse
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Omaha, NEOctober 27, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: low perdium
You spend your day working around train schedules. I learned how to supervise work groups. Manage is hard to get along with. The constant traveling to other states at a drop of a hat. Working in popular cities.
Working for a manager who gave out assignments and let you do your job.
Equipment Supervisor (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 22, 2013
Pros: all was a great place to work
Cons: some late night call outs.
Very interesting position with many new friends that were a team and customers that were friendly and enjoyed my work ethics.
excellent place to work
train conductor (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXOctober 21, 2013
safety is number one! great place to work, always exciting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

About Union Pacific

Union Pacific Corporation (UPC) is engaged in the transportation business. The Company’s operating company, Union Pacific – Read more