Union Pacific

Union Pacific United States Employee Reviews

seeking part time work
Conductor train crew (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2015
I have successfully completed the 4 month training course for switchman, Brakeman, RCO, and currently have my conductor license. As a Conductor my responsibilities include but not limited to supervising the train crew from the 1st steps of Departure to the last steps of the arrival of the train at its destination. My number one priority is to make sure all moves are done safely and efficiently. Due to the time of the year and the economy, Union Pacific is placing lower seniority employees on part time status. Unfortunately I fall in this category.
i really enjoy the people i work with. They are very professional and serious about the work they perform everyday. Sometimes it can get stressful.
signal maintainer (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: 1 free lunch a month
Cons: health care
the job is very demanding and can be stressful at times. I enjoy trouble shooting and finding solutions. I am ready for a new challenge and motivated to learn. I have worked for the railroad for close to 27 years. My father worked for the railroad for 35 years. And his father worked for the railroad for 42 years. I guess railroading is in my blood.
If you love to travel and have a high stress threshold, this is the job for you
Conductor (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: poor work environments, bad co-workers, out of touch management and horrible hours
A typical work day starts with a phone call giving you you assignment and a notification of 90 min to report to work. I have learned with this job to expect the unexpected and count on working a 12 hour day so if if your day is 8-10 hours, you have had a great day. A typical day can be a local job to an over the road job so you never really know until you get your phone call.

The management is not pretty. Some are non-railroaders who know very little of the job you will perform but others are former railroaders who will help in any way they can. All depends on the terminal and time of day in which you work.

The co-workers are great people but more often than not have something ill to say about the company and the management but after working for UP for 6 months, most of there claims are valid and warranted.

The hardest part of the job comes with switching cars. It is easy but time consuming and a lot of walking. Inclement weather doesn't help considering that we must perform our jobs in all weather conditions.

The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to see my great country when I travel out of town or "over the road" as we call it. I feel great knowing that I am hauling cargo that will be turned into buildings, cars, products and services that many people take for granted. It is truly an awesome feeling.
N/A
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Colton, CaJanuary 14, 2015
Union Pacific Railroad: Certified Conductor June 2014 to Present
• Certified class 8 conductors license and certified class 6 locomotive remote control license
• Safety is always top priority
• Fill out conductors log book and able to read and understand timetables.
• Climb on/climb off of railcars safely to set and release hand brakes, couple and uncouple air hoses
• Change broken railcar couplers (knuckles)
• Ride moving railcars safely by using grab irons and ladder steps
• Use hand signals and lantern to communicate with engineer for safe movements
• Operate switches and Drails
• Observe track for defects and road crossings while protecting shoves
• Inspect cars for safety regulations and perform Airbrake tests for safe operation of railcars
• Knowledge of railroad operating rules and regulations. GCOR
• Able to distinguish all signals and signal aspects
• Visually judge length and speed of train to control safe switching and train make up for timely customer deliveries and spots
great pay and benefits and a great work staff
Seasonal Chef (Current Employee), omaha nebraskaJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: free food great pay
Cons: seasonal ob
do specialized catering on and off the trains always a 3 course meal.
learned a lot about different cooking techniques and different recipies. work with a team of chefs to come up with and execute the menus. hardest part of job getting use to cooking and cutting on the train but just takes an adjustment period. love a fresh menu and ideas that each day brings .
Dangerously fun enviroment
Train Crew (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJanuary 12, 2015
A typical day at work is powering up the locomotive, and building the transport trains by using switching techniques. I learned switching techniques using a switch list, signal identification, radio communications, how to use derails, and the different territories used by Union Pacific, as well as other railroad companies. The hardest part of the job was learning how to switch railcars efficiently. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around the trains themselves.
fun traveling; running machinery;
Machine Operator/ Laborer (Former Employee), Roseville, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: working and running heavy equipment; travel; co-workers
Cons: no advancement; healthcare;
Through the years of working at Union Pacific Railroad, I got to learn a great number of things and work with great people. One of the most exciting things to do is to run the Spike Machine. I worked with replacing ties.
The downside was after working there for more than 17 years, as much as I tried for advancement, I was never given the opportunity for one. Therefore, my pay would never change.
Grateful for the opportunity
Command Center Locomotive Manager in Colorado (Former Employee), Denver, COJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: coordinating schedules when short staffed
The Union Pacific afforded me the opportunity to begin my employment at 19 years of age as a communication lineman. From there I was able to work my way up to Denver Command Center Locomotive Manager. The UP promoted an environment of positive working relationships, growth potential and longevity. I enjoyed the intensity each position provided. Although there were many unique challenges, the comradery I experienced with my co-workers left me with lifelong friendships. The most challenging aspects of my job included coordination and control of employee scheduling, budgeting and confronting Colorado weather conditions. Each day presented its own demands but was extremely gratifying.
hardworking and good at being safe on the job
Mechanical Service Operator (Current Employee), North Little Rock, ARJanuary 3, 2015
use radio communication following fra regulations to build locomotive train consist to operate and drive trains for union pacific railroad according to the assigned train orders. perform job and safety briefings and set up locomotive shop
it is not worth it!!!!
trackman,driver (Former Employee), system- texasJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: when you get off work to recover from the backstacking gossipers!
Cons: go there and find out! you will need plenty of medication!
Worst company i ever worker for in 42 years. Everybody backstabbs and gossips all day long. ......grown men! How pathetic!!!! And i mean literally!
Team Player
Conductor (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 1, 2015
I am an efficient team player and creative thinker with the ability to quickly grasp and utilize new ideas and information. My goal is to join a company where my skills can be utilized and I can experience career growth.
Self motivated/directed
Freight Conductor, Remote Control Operator (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 26, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: 24/7, in climate weather, 20 minute lunch break
Giving a list of tracks needed to be switched out. Usually 90 to 100 railroad cars. As foreman you determined how to switch out cars with the least amount of moves required, saving time, fuel, locomotive wear and tear.
Longevity
Conductor/Trainman (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 20, 2014
Pros: compesation
Cons: quality of life
Typical job. Lots of micro Managing. Home life not so good always on call. The job is senoirity based. Never have a weekend off. always work nights.
Loved my job wit Union Pacific
Implementation Manager (Former Employee), Omaha, NEDecember 17, 2014
Traveled a lot and managed work force in implementing new systems and software at various locations on the railroad.. The hardest part was being away from my family but otherwise had nothing but good time with any position.
very strict job
conductor (Former Employee), Livonia, LADecember 15, 2014
If you are a new hire make sure you do no wrong are you will be fired.
fun place to work
Train, Engine and Yard Employee (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 9, 2014
learned sales and customer service techniques. good employees. enjoyed high physical out put.
Fantastic History, Exemplary Company
Business Car Steward (Current Employee), Omaha, NEDecember 3, 2014
UP is a fantastic company to work for. They take care of their employees in every way imaginable.
productive
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee), Shreveport, LADecember 2, 2014
Pros: benefits are great
Cons: time a way from family
great benefits, a lot of travel but pay is great. learned alot and meet all types of people. Can be demanding at times.
Conductor
Foreman/Conductor (Former Employee), ColtonNovember 21, 2014
Would have been a great job if I did not get furloughed. Great pay and benefits but on call work is not for everybody. I wish the job worked out for me as I really looked forward to working at UPRR. Hopefully others who have recently been hired do not face furlough as many of my class did.
Harsh work environment and horrible hours.
Fireman & Engineer-in-Training / Conductor (Current Employee), Roseville, CANovember 19, 2014
not for everyone but I loved it.

Long and unpredictable hours in a dangerous work environment with a union vs management, oppressive corporate culture.

About Union Pacific

Union Pacific Corporation (UPC) is engaged in the transportation business. The Company’s operating company, Union Pacific – Read more

Union Pacific Salaries