Union Rescue Mission Employee Reviews

Productive and family atmosphere
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 29, 2017
Had a great time working at the rescue mission got to see a lot of lives that have been changed including mine they taught life skills treated me like family I would highly recommend it to others
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
No negative great place
Great work environment with room for growth
Health and Fitness Coach (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 19, 2017
Work environment was challenging, but it brought out the best in me, because you had to expect the unexpected at all times. My job was to work with the team in developing men who had lost hope and were homeless and to give them a sense of purpose for living again.
great opportunity
Maid/Housekeeping Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2017
I really appreciated my time there it allowed me an opportunity to grow and help make a difference in the lives of individuals who are less then fortune I
Pros
fun ability to make a difference in peoples lives
Cons
nothing
Great opportunity to give back
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 28, 2017
this was such a great opportunity for me to give back to people who weren't as fortunate as others. putting a smile on someones face was more than any dollar amount.
Community Outreach and Connection Day to connect families with resources
Family Advocate/Housing Resource Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 20, 2017
Daily outreach of the services and resources provides to our homeless families was awesome. We provided daily information and went into the highways to provide free service and information to our clients to come and check out the services they can receive for themselves, families and others in the local community.
Pros
Free housing and food
Cons
Mobile health care programs and food as well as clothing.
Good People, Great Hearts
Chef (Current Employee) –  Sylmar, CADecember 13, 2016
Union Rescue Mission is a place with good people with great hearts trying to help as many people as possible. While working here you are constantly encouraged and uplifted.
Pros
Free Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 2, 2016
Great agency to volunteer for. A typical day consisted of serving food to homeless individuals. Checking into the office was rather easy and the staff was really helpful.
people person
Employment and Business Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 1, 2016
Patience, Case Management,Employment and Business Advisor.
Co-workers are amazing. There is much to learn about homelessness on Skid Row. Remember, you must have great peoples skills and be an ambassador for everyone
Pros
Free meals
Cons
None noted
Great place to work and serve!
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 11, 2016
Great place to work!

My co-workers were honest and hardworking!

The Company is a great place to work!

The management was good and respectful!

The hours were flexible!

The work was good!

The location is nice!
Team oriented work enviorment. Spiritual care within staff as well as CLDP.
Chaplain Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 9, 2016
This work environment is very unique. This work place locates down town Skid Row LA.
I serve the Homeless as a volunteer chaplain 10 hours each week.
My main job role is pastoral care to provide spiritual and emotional care through 1:1 counseling, teaching (12 steps) and preaching.
I have learned that spiritual care starts with attentive listening and authentic relationship. I also learned that it is crucial to build up peaceful community as empowering and teaching those who are the vulnerable and addicted as routine daily life.
The hardest part of the job is to watch the addicted fail and have to support their healings as a chaplain.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that there are some people who are set free from the bondage of addicts. It is also enjoyable to have a great chaplain teams through fellowship and staff meeting.
Pros
free lunch
Heart warming place to work.
Intake Coordinator/Dorm Attendant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2016
The URM is a place of love and people helping people.
Helping the homeless and people that are less fortunate than you (many are the same as you with life set-backs). Helping people and seeing how your help and your listening can help others to do better for themselves is a great gift. Great co-workers, no job to hard.
Loved it
Mission Rescue Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 7, 2016
love helping the homeless. im already blessed to have what i have being able to give a little bit make me feel good. Union rescue mission is a grat place that overs a lot to those who dont have a home
christian base program
maintenance (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 11, 2015
it was nice to work in such a high paced environment love being apart of a team best part of the job was working as a team nothing was hard about the job because i love what i do.
Rewarding place to work
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 29, 2015
Great people, great environment. Top to bottom, staff is excellent. It was a privilege to go to work there every morning.
Pros
very rewarding work - great environment
Cons
pay / benefits
feel-good environment.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 23, 2015
A typical day included preparing foods and serving. Job includes a great feel good environment as helping out those of the Mission is very satisfying.
Poor organization and communication
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 7, 2015
Poor organization and communication. Management has little idea, if any, what they are doing. They care little for their employees and even less for the homeless. They are in it for the numbers to acquire their government funding and donations.
Pros
Some good people there
Cons
Poor management
Fun
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2014
It was an enjoyable day at the Union Rescue Mission being able to give back and seeing families and people in need getting the proper meals they are receiving were amazing to see and know that you were able to feed a child and adult in desperate help was an outstanding feeling. I would advise at lease one to try it once.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
It was far away from my home.
different people in the shelter, made it very challening
Pm Cook (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 28, 2014
Going in the kitchen, speaking with the supervisor about the evening meals. We had a group of 4 employees who all helped put the evening meals together.
Pros
Inventing different meals
Cons
better working condition
Unpredictable and fast paced work environment, very diverse location
Coordinator, Volunteer Department (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 19, 2014
A typical day at work included communicating with volunteers via email, telephone, and in person. Duties included scheduling new volunteer orientations, creating new processes to ensure an easier sign up process, managing hundreds of weekly volunteers (scheduling, processing with background checks, ensuring security protocol was met). Entering and evaluating the previous day's volunteer hours and experiences. Ensuring the volunteer needs of the mission were properly met, and creating a safe environment for both clients and volunteers of the mission.

I learned how to become the bridge between two different cultures (on Skid Row and off Skid Row), as well as how to effectively communicate with departments and volunteers to meet a goal (event, volunteer opportunities, etc.).

The hardest part of the job is that it required me to work every weekend, which took away from time with my husband.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having an office that was on the ground floor on Skid Row, so I got to have a lot of interaction with the clients of the mission and help in ways that were not part of my job description.
Pros
Many opportunities to grow as an individual
Cons
Not a team-oriented environment, a lot of burn out.
productive
dental student (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 5, 2014
Many patients, great experience
Once a week for 6 months, get exposed to different treatment plans. Help patients get a better smile without cost.