Union Settlement Association

Union Settlement Association Employer Reviews

Friendly working atmosphere
Accounts Payable Clerk/Bookkeeper (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 29, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: limited work space
I. work independently, and also as a team. I interact daily with vendors, clients and co workers. I normally have a busy schedule at work, but I proprieties my tasks so that I can achieve efficiency.
One of the longest running human service non profits in East Harlem!
Middle School Program Director (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 1, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of coordinating program schedules, developing and managing program events and activities, curriculum planning, supervising field trips, establishing and maintaining positive relationships with students and school administration. The day also involved managing staff, resolving staff and student conflicts, and processing – more... staff timesheets/payroll..
I learned how to apply my existent youth development management skills in a new and different environment. My co workers were open to change and passionate about the children's well being which made the job enjoyable and heightened motivation. The hardest part of the job was not being able to reach as many middle schoolers as we aimed for. So many young people could have benefited from the program's offerings, but oftentimes, middle school students want to feel more independent and avoid coordinated/supervised afterschool activities. – less
Great Learning Experience
Children's Intensive Case Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: added many different changes in documents case files
Union Settlement Association, INC
ICM worker-6/2004 to 6/2006
CBCM Program
I linked mentally disabled patients to a broad range of services. Ensured proper documentation was completed, made timely assessments, case management planning and daily progress notes were provided. I advocated for additional resources and access to resources, as necessary, – more... for each individual patient. I determined the need for auxiliary services, financial services, legal, housing, and education for the patients I served. I identified problems that prevented clients from accessing or attending needed services and developed strategies for solving these problems .

I had a wonderful supervisor and great coleagues who looked out for one another.The most enjoyable part of the job was taking training and education with professionals and institutions that work with families in crisis. The hardest part of the job was transferring my caseload since I accepted a a higher position. – less
Productive and engaging workplace
Receptionist, Asst. to Program Director (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: vacation time and health benefits and my own office.
Cons: location
A typical day at work consisted with alot of interaction with patients; ensuring a comfortable visit to our office as well as handling the very challenging front desk.
One of the things that I enjoyed the most while working there were the monthly meetings because it allowed us to voice our opinions, concerns and ideas as to how to imrpove the workplace. – more... My co-workers were great and we all worked great as a team as well as individually. I also enjoyed the fact that my time at the front desk was ONLY during the morning. In the afternoon, I had my own desk in another area where I performed my duties as that of an Assistant; allowing me to do work in a much more quiet environment.
One of the most challenging things about the workplace were dealing with the patients. Because this is a mental health counceling center, you were faced with many people who were also facing challenging and difficult situations in their personal lives.
On a positive note, the more time I spent there, the more people became comfortable with me. I always ensured a positive and engaging visit each and every time. – less
Productive and fun work place
Internship (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 12, 2012
say hello to parents and children in the morning. take phone messages and answer phones.
i learned how to talk to people without getting mad and sometimes you have to explain things to people over and over again.
my co-workers were fun to be around, just about everyone liked each other and they worked hard.
Pilar in the East Harlem Community
Administration Manager - Executive Office (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 4, 2012
Great place to work, tightly connected to the community. Well respected
Positive academic setting for children ages 1-4.
Social Worker/Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 23, 2012
Pros: union settlement provides a wide array of services for children and families.
Cons: short staffed due to the economy
Union Settlement offers many programs for children and families facing domestic and or financial struggles. Union Settlement offers a variety of services for children with behavioral and or learning delays. Therapeutic services are also provided at Union Settlement, for parents who have children enrolled in their daycare program.
fun working with elderly
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), Manhattan, East HarlemFebruary 16, 2012
the atmosphere and the elderly you work with is pleasant. but the directive needs an overall overhaul! unappreciative, take credit for others work, work you like a workhorse, money doesn't start paying for you job hours. unsensitive to staff needs and problems or health. No expansion so you are stuck in same position and can't move forward