Union Settlement Association Employee Reviews

Afterschool workshops/kitchen help
intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2015
I typical day at work I would come in go to the office so they saw I was their they would tell me go get the breakfast from the kitchen for the kids. We would have a work shop of the younger kids learning different facts. Then all of the staff would set up lunch and bring the food to the students. After we would have another work shop of us teaching the students dance I would play the drums along with the young male and females. We would then last give out the snacks and wait for the students to come.
Very positive workplace
kitchen aide (Current Employee) –  2205 1st aveNovember 10, 2015
As a volunteer here at the senior center, i enjoy working here, its a positive workplace and you help the senior community.The typical work day for me is helping prepare the lunches for the elderly, after packaging the food, we clean everything & have lunch after the elderly people eat, a little more cleaning and we're done
Pros
free lunch
productive
Summer Youth Employment (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2015
my experience dealing with the kids was fun. my day consisted of helping the counselors with their duties, activities, and also helping out in trips. the hardest part of the job was getting the children to focus sometimes, but my enjoyable part of the job was when the group had fun on the trips.
Pros
went on trips every week
Great organization
Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
Union Settlement was a great place to work at. I began as a family worker, which was an entry level job and through the years I was Promoted to Director, due to my education. This organization supported me when I was in school and allowed me flexible time to take classes when needed. It was also a fun place working with children, families and staff. yes it was important to have the numbers up, but that was all part of the day's work. I gained so much experience working along side my colleagues who were always eager to share their knowledge of the workplace. The staff was there in times of sorrow and illness, with an encouraging word, flowers, help if I needed it. This was not just for me but for all of the staff that was employed at Union Settlement. There were some rough patches when the economy took a turn downward and some people had to be let go, but that happened throughout the country. I enjoyed my time with Union Settlement and will be forever grateful for the opportunity that was given to me.
Pros
They care about the community of East Harlem.
Cons
Not enough funds to do everything they would like to do.
Warmest work environment but no growth to offer.
ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  NEW YORK, NYOctober 1, 2014
The employees at Union Settlement Finance Department are the most cooperative and respectful colleague to work with. My supervisor and Boss are the most understanding and friendly people I have ever worked with. My duties in the finance department is not complicated as long as you get a few months of training. I haven't had my hardest day the this job yet because I have learned to organized my work efficiently. I love working here but I am looking to widen my range of knowledge in the Accounting field and this company doesn't offer promotional growth.
Positive academic setting for children ages 1-4.
Social Worker/Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2012
Union Settlement offers many programs for children and families facing domestic and or financial struggles. Union Settlement offers a variety of services for children with behavioral and or learning delays. Therapeutic services are also provided at Union Settlement, for parents who have children enrolled in their daycare program.
Pros
union settlement provides a wide array of services for children and families.
Cons
short staffed due to the economy
fun working with elderly
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, East HarlemFebruary 16, 2012
the atmosphere and the elderly you work with is pleasant. but the directive needs an overall overhaul! unappreciative, take credit for others work, work you like a workhorse, money doesn't start paying for you job hours. unsensitive to staff needs and problems or health. No expansion so you are stuck in same position and can't move forward
Program Graduate
workforce development (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2014
A graduate of the prestigious and highly competitive CAREER ACADEMY, a workforce development initiative sponsored by both the Robin Hood Organization and the Mayor’s office. The ACADEMY prepares candidates for careers in a variety of industries and focuses on work readiness, sector based skills training and leadership development.
Completed and ranked among the top 5% of student body in the completion of a high performance (25) point career coaching module that included such topics as teamwork, time-management, work-life balance, improving work place performance, conflict resolution and character building.
In order to better understand a company’s infrastructure, participated and lead a (4) person team in the creation of a fictional company that included a business plan, marketing concept and financial projections.
Productive and fun workplace with children
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  98th Street and 3rd AvenueMarch 29, 2015
A typical day at work would be supervising children all day and planning daily trips and activities. My co-workers and staff are amazing and they helped and taught me a lot.
Productive and fun work place
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 12, 2012
say hello to parents and children in the morning. take phone messages and answer phones.
i learned how to talk to people without getting mad and sometimes you have to explain things to people over and over again.
my co-workers were fun to be around, just about everyone liked each other and they worked hard.
Friendly working atmosphere
Accounts Payable Clerk/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2013
I. work independently, and also as a team. I interact daily with vendors, clients and co workers. I normally have a busy schedule at work, but I proprieties my tasks so that I can achieve efficiency.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
limited work space
Excellent work environment with dedicated employees
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2015
USA is a great place with invaluable learning experiences. Co-workers are productive and friendly. What I like most is working for the community.
One of the longest running human service non profits in East Harlem!
Middle School Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of coordinating program schedules, developing and managing program events and activities, curriculum planning, supervising field trips, establishing and maintaining positive relationships with students and school administration. The day also involved managing staff, resolving staff and student conflicts, and processing staff timesheets/payroll..
I learned how to apply my existent youth development management skills in a new and different environment. My co workers were open to change and passionate about the children's well being which made the job enjoyable and heightened motivation. The hardest part of the job was not being able to reach as many middle schoolers as we aimed for. So many young people could have benefited from the program's offerings, but oftentimes, middle school students want to feel more independent and avoid coordinated/supervised afterschool activities.
Great Learning Experience
Children's Intensive Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2013
Union Settlement Association, INC
ICM worker-6/2004 to 6/2006
CBCM Program
I linked mentally disabled patients to a broad range of services. Ensured proper documentation was completed, made timely assessments, case management planning and daily progress notes were provided. I advocated for additional resources and access to resources, as necessary, for each individual patient. I determined the need for auxiliary services, financial services, legal, housing, and education for the patients I served. I identified problems that prevented clients from accessing or attending needed services and developed strategies for solving these problems .

I had a wonderful supervisor and great coleagues who looked out for one another.The most enjoyable part of the job was taking training and education with professionals and institutions that work with families in crisis. The hardest part of the job was transferring my caseload since I accepted a a higher position.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
added many different changes in documents case files
Pilar in the East Harlem Community
Administration Manager - Executive Office (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2012
Great place to work, tightly connected to the community. Well respected
Productive and engaging workplace
Receptionist, Asst. to Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2013
A typical day at work consisted with alot of interaction with patients; ensuring a comfortable visit to our office as well as handling the very challenging front desk.
One of the things that I enjoyed the most while working there were the monthly meetings because it allowed us to voice our opinions, concerns and ideas as to how to imrpove the workplace. My co-workers were great and we all worked great as a team as well as individually. I also enjoyed the fact that my time at the front desk was ONLY during the morning. In the afternoon, I had my own desk in another area where I performed my duties as that of an Assistant; allowing me to do work in a much more quiet environment.
One of the most challenging things about the workplace were dealing with the patients. Because this is a mental health counceling center, you were faced with many people who were also facing challenging and difficult situations in their personal lives.
On a positive note, the more time I spent there, the more people became comfortable with me. I always ensured a positive and engaging visit each and every time.
Pros
vacation time and health benefits and my own office.
Cons
location

4.2