Union Settlement Association Employee Reviews

Hard working teaching staff
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  East Harlem, NYJuly 5, 2017
The work load is exhausting, as teachers spend more time completing paperwork than actually teaching the children. The organization receives grants for teachers to implement programs in the classroom, but that only adds to the regular work load and teachers are not compensated with raises, bonus, or any education incentives.

The organization needs restructure.
A never ending learning experience
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  PS 112 New YorkJune 6, 2017
Putting a smile on a child's face when your able to help them understand a problem, makes my day complete.
Working with the special needs children has helped me to learn and grow in that field.
Pros
smiles
Cons
tears
Union Settlement Association
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2017
When I was working at the Union Settlement Association I was still in high school and I was learning about life and it was teaching me hoe to be responseble
Not the best
Classroom Aide (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 14, 2017
The site I recently worked at became stressful, unorganized and very demeaning of ones character on a daily basis over the years. The management was very selective personally on who should receive certain enhancements in positions and salary. The most enjoyable part of the job the job was the children, the passion I have to be an idol or comfort for any child made this job worth staying.
Great agency to work. proviced community services
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2017
I loved working here because the people were very nice. I still keep up with them. The provided child care , youth and senior services. I learned a lot about the non profit business here...
Pros
Great people.
Cons
cramp office space
kitchen work is easy but not appreciated
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2017
Very helpful in the community but not very appreciative of their employees. Kitchen staff is very friendly and really care about the health and nutrition status of each child.
Enjoyed working with individuals and encourage them to get their GED
Outreach Counselor - Adult Education (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2017
Enjoyed working at Union Settlement not only did I encourage people to obtain their GED; also scheduled the appointments for the classes and exams; worked closely with community leaders and organizers; Interviewed residents in the community for local documentaries regarding various social issues.
Pros
Worked with diversified groups
Too much reliance on government funding
Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2017
This workplace is busy due the source of funding. Typically, you have to be concerned with details reconciliation in the use of government money. You do not have the resources to employ the most qualified staff, and you cannot i9ncentivize staff to work hard.
fun work place and great events
Director's Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2016
Typical day at work was busy but you are treated with respect. You were rewarded greatly when work was done properly. I learned time management and how to multitask and get my work done fast.. Management team was great! Most of my co-workers became my friends. The hardest part of my job was being more than one person's assistant the most enjoyable was seeing people smile
Pros
long lunch
Cons
running around
I enjoyed working there it was a great experience.
Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2015
All the coworkers were like family and I enjoyed working there. The children were fun to be around. I enjoyed learning from the children the most.
Afterschool workshops/kitchen help
intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2015
I typical day at work I would come in go to the office so they saw I was their they would tell me go get the breakfast from the kitchen for the kids. We would have a work shop of the younger kids learning different facts. Then all of the staff would set up lunch and bring the food to the students. After we would have another work shop of us teaching the students dance I would play the drums along with the young male and females. We would then last give out the snacks and wait for the students to come.
Very positive workplace
kitchen aide (Current Employee) –  2205 1st aveNovember 10, 2015
As a volunteer here at the senior center, i enjoy working here, its a positive workplace and you help the senior community.The typical work day for me is helping prepare the lunches for the elderly, after packaging the food, we clean everything & have lunch after the elderly people eat, a little more cleaning and we're done
Pros
free lunch
productive
Summer Youth Employment (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2015
my experience dealing with the kids was fun. my day consisted of helping the counselors with their duties, activities, and also helping out in trips. the hardest part of the job was getting the children to focus sometimes, but my enjoyable part of the job was when the group had fun on the trips.
Pros
went on trips every week
Great organization
Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
Union Settlement was a great place to work at. I began as a family worker, which was an entry level job and through the years I was Promoted to Director, due to my education. This organization supported me when I was in school and allowed me flexible time to take classes when needed. It was also a fun place working with children, families and staff. yes it was important to have the numbers up, but that was all part of the day's work. I gained so much experience working along side my colleagues who were always eager to share their knowledge of the workplace. The staff was there in times of sorrow and illness, with an encouraging word, flowers, help if I needed it. This was not just for me but for all of the staff that was employed at Union Settlement. There were some rough patches when the economy took a turn downward and some people had to be let go, but that happened throughout the country. I enjoyed my time with Union Settlement and will be forever grateful for the opportunity that was given to me.
Pros
They care about the community of East Harlem.
Cons
Not enough funds to do everything they would like to do.
Productive and fun workplace with children
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  98th Street and 3rd AvenueMarch 29, 2015
A typical day at work would be supervising children all day and planning daily trips and activities. My co-workers and staff are amazing and they helped and taught me a lot.
Excellent work environment with dedicated employees
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2015
USA is a great place with invaluable learning experiences. Co-workers are productive and friendly. What I like most is working for the community.
Warmest work environment but no growth to offer.
ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  NEW YORK, NYOctober 1, 2014
The employees at Union Settlement Finance Department are the most cooperative and respectful colleague to work with. My supervisor and Boss are the most understanding and friendly people I have ever worked with. My duties in the finance department is not complicated as long as you get a few months of training. I haven't had my hardest day the this job yet because I have learned to organized my work efficiently. I love working here but I am looking to widen my range of knowledge in the Accounting field and this company doesn't offer promotional growth.
Program Graduate
workforce development (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2014
A graduate of the prestigious and highly competitive CAREER ACADEMY, a workforce development initiative sponsored by both the Robin Hood Organization and the Mayor’s office. The ACADEMY prepares candidates for careers in a variety of industries and focuses on work readiness, sector based skills training and leadership development.
Completed and ranked among the top 5% of student body in the completion of a high performance (25) point career coaching module that included such topics as teamwork, time-management, work-life balance, improving work place performance, conflict resolution and character building.
In order to better understand a company’s infrastructure, participated and lead a (4) person team in the creation of a fictional company that included a business plan, marketing concept and financial projections.
Friendly working atmosphere
Accounts Payable Clerk/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2013
I. work independently, and also as a team. I interact daily with vendors, clients and co workers. I normally have a busy schedule at work, but I proprieties my tasks so that I can achieve efficiency.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
limited work space
One of the longest running human service non profits in East Harlem!
Middle School Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of coordinating program schedules, developing and managing program events and activities, curriculum planning, supervising field trips, establishing and maintaining positive relationships with students and school administration. The day also involved managing staff, resolving staff and student conflicts, and processing staff timesheets/payroll..
I learned how to apply my existent youth development management skills in a new and different environment. My co workers were open to change and passionate about the children's well being which made the job enjoyable and heightened motivation. The hardest part of the job was not being able to reach as many middle schoolers as we aimed for. So many young people could have benefited from the program's offerings, but oftentimes, middle school students want to feel more independent and avoid coordinated/supervised afterschool activities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Settlement Association. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2