Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) Employee Reviews

management is not great
Class A Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LANovember 14, 2017
Union tank is a ok place to work I think that it can be a great place to work If upper management would interact with employees and listen to ideas fro the floor level
Stressful but fun just at times.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Ville Platte, LANovember 12, 2017
Productive and stressful at times managment was awful but the company offered great benefits and the pay was great for the area. The hardest part was dealing with the weather the workplace culture was great you worked with different people everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things about repaired and completeing a job in a timely manner.
Pros
Paid holidays, vacation, etc.
Cons
Short breaks, work area was dirty
Good place to work for.
Assembler Welder (Former Employee) –  Sheldon, TXOctober 30, 2017
A topical day working at UTLX was hot and sweaty. You learned the ins and outs the welding trade at the shop. Management was concerned about the safety of their employees. The work place was very diverse. Running out of reinforcement plates of a tank that need to be done by the end of your shift. Most enjoyable part of the job is completing your quote and some.
Learned a lot
Drafting Secretary (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INOctober 27, 2017
Re-entering the workforce after raising my children, I joined UTC and gained invaluable knowledge working with Microsoft Office. The work was slow at times, but could be challenging. The people were friendly. The pay good at the time.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Not enough work to do
Job was great
Welder/Assembler (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INOctober 19, 2017
The company was a union company but it closed down year ago. The place was a good environment for young welders to grow and learn their craft as up and coming welders
not a good place to work
Site manager (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXOctober 11, 2017
You are not applauded when a job is complete, and they are ready to hang you by your neck when you make a mistake. you will be fined if you make a mistake by the fra and aar.
Cons
Good place to work. Management has some problems
Blaster/Painter and Stencilman (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAOctober 6, 2017
I love working at Union Tank. The management is off and it's hard to move up unless you are real good friends with the supervisors. The employees are amazing and I have fun working at Union Tank Car.
Pros
Money, benefits
entry level position
Personnel Clerk, Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INOctober 2, 2017
My position at UTLX was that of an entry level position. I learned a lot about Unions and received great experience from working with this company. great people and management.
Its ok for paycheck
Employee (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GASeptember 30, 2017
Would love to see advancement opportunities without having to be in the "Click".
Do your job for the most part and watch out for what others may try to do.
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
Buddy system
Good Place to work with occasional management hiccups
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2017
Good pay, great benefits. Nice work life balance. Sometimes miscommunication between upper management causes you to have to redo projects from the start, but all in all a good place to work.
Good place to learn about the industrial culture and ethic.
Car Repairman (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXSeptember 14, 2017
It's a steady environment. If you keep a good attitude and do your job no one will mess with you. It can be enjoyable but at times it can get stressful.
Not A Good Place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Evanston, WYSeptember 7, 2017
I would not go back to work there if they payed me ten times more money! I think its a unsafe place to work. And management there really sucks bad! Not good!!!!!
productive fast pace
Hired on as a welder repairman (Current Employee) –  Evanston, WY 82930September 6, 2017
I have learned a lot working for union tank car company it is a fast pace job that requires an eye for detail. awesome people to be around. good pay and benifits
Fun place to work
R2 Repairman (Former Employee) –  Hahnville, LASeptember 4, 2017
I enjoyed it for awhile up until my 3rd year never had the opportunity to advance. People with none experience got a chance to move up before me. Supervisor only looked out for certain people.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad management
Technician
Electronic / Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
I have worked here for sometime now. Work keeps you busy but manageable. The cons is that some co-workers are lazy and and others are very competitive.
Competitive
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAAugust 13, 2017
They have 2 work out a lot of problems...but da pay is great....it is motto much I can say about utlx....cause I had my ups and down there...just like at any job...but,I don't like judging people..It is what it is....
Overall Good
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAAugust 11, 2017
They paid fairly well. Hours were long but worth the pay. I had to relocate at the time and decided to leave the company. It was not located in my new residence.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours
125 Year Old company using 40 year old technology and business practices
Desktop Engineer/LAN Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2017
The median age at UTC is about 38. Most people who work there have been there for over 20 years. They know only "The Tank Car Way" 98% of non-management (50%-60% of management) are just great, salt of the earth, grounded, understanding employees that definitely deserve more than they are receiving. Also, the health benefits are EXTREMELY generous compared to today's standards.

I wanted to write so much more but my job title is tied to this review so, I will wait until I am no longer employed there to illustrate more accurately my review of UTC.
Pros
The PEOPLE (Well, most of them) & the Health benefits, decent salaries
Cons
Aged out management only 6 sick days, NO work from home (except management & good ole boys club), poor work-life balance. No yearly bonuses for non-management
Getting the work completed
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  East chicagoAugust 3, 2017
Welding and machine operator job. Manufacturing company . The company had several positions at union tank. The company closed down 2008. The area consists at least 500 employees. The company main office is located in another state.
Pros
Job
Cons
Job
Material handler and welder
Welder,meterial handeler (Former Employee) –  Marion OhioAugust 1, 2017
Was a decent company to work for when I started out of high school great opportunities to teach and gain experience if you're in the field for doing welding or metal work .
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Dirty job unstable work hours depending on the season

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Tank Car Company (UTLX). Our community is ready to answer.

2.9