Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) Employee Reviews

Not A Good Place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Evanston, WYSeptember 7, 2017
I would not go back to work there if they payed me ten times more money! I think its a unsafe place to work. And management there really sucks bad! Not good!!!!!
productive fast pace
Hired on as a welder repairman (Current Employee) –  Evanston, WY 82930September 6, 2017
I have learned a lot working for union tank car company it is a fast pace job that requires an eye for detail. awesome people to be around. good pay and benifits
Fun place to work
R2 Repairman (Former Employee) –  Hahnville, LASeptember 4, 2017
I enjoyed it for awhile up until my 3rd year never had the opportunity to advance. People with none experience got a chance to move up before me. Supervisor only looked out for certain people.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad management
Technician
Electronic / Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
I have worked here for sometime now. Work keeps you busy but manageable. The cons is that some co-workers are lazy and and others are very competitive.
Competitive
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAAugust 13, 2017
They have 2 work out a lot of problems...but da pay is great....it is motto much I can say about utlx....cause I had my ups and down there...just like at any job...but,I don't like judging people..It is what it is....
Overall Good
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAAugust 11, 2017
They paid fairly well. Hours were long but worth the pay. I had to relocate at the time and decided to leave the company. It was not located in my new residence.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours
125 Year Old company using 40 year old technology and business practices
Desktop Engineer/LAN Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2017
The median age at UTC is about 38. Most people who work there have been there for over 20 years. They know only "The Tank Car Way" 98% of non-management (50%-60% of management) are just great, salt of the earth, grounded, understanding employees that definitely deserve more than they are receiving. Also, the health benefits are EXTREMELY generous compared to today's standards.

I wanted to write so much more but my job title is tied to this review so, I will wait until I am no longer employed there to illustrate more accurately my review of UTC.
Pros
The PEOPLE (Well, most of them) & the Health benefits, decent salaries
Cons
Aged out management only 6 sick days, NO work from home (except management & good ole boys club), poor work-life balance. No yearly bonuses for non-management
Getting the work completed
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  East chicagoAugust 3, 2017
Welding and machine operator job. Manufacturing company . The company had several positions at union tank. The company closed down 2008. The area consists at least 500 employees. The company main office is located in another state.
Pros
Job
Cons
Job
Material handler and welder
Welder,meterial handeler (Former Employee) –  Marion OhioAugust 1, 2017
Was a decent company to work for when I started out of high school great opportunities to teach and gain experience if you're in the field for doing welding or metal work .
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Dirty job unstable work hours depending on the season
Produtive and everyone got along.
Rail Car repairerStick Welder (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 1, 2017
It was a great group of guys that took pride and responsibility in what they did. We worked as a team and always gave one another a helping hand when it was needed.
Utlx
Blaster (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJuly 13, 2017
I finally found a job that I didnt hate going in to daily, I worked with a team to accomplish our jobs and moved onto the next job. I had the opportunity to join a union
Pros
great pay
Cons
jobs opportunities lost due to higher seniority
Ok
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2017
Slow paced and repeatative work. Union structure without union benefits or pay scale. Assembly line work so it's the same thing all day every day for years on end.
Great place to work with great pay
Sand blaster (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHJune 6, 2017
It has it's ups and downs it's a small company as far as man power goes but it's good pay great benefits and it can be a fun place to work at you might get laid off every now and then but they normally bring you back when they can it all depends on how much work we have
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Your going to get dirty
awesome learning experience
Assembler (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INJune 3, 2017
this was actually the first job where i really was able to exercise my welding/blueprint reading skill. great staff overtime great pay excellent learning experience
Pros
great pay excellent learning experience
Cons
plant closed and relocated to a different state
productive and fast paced environment
Valve specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXMay 24, 2017
Every day at union tank car started at 3:00pm and ended at 11:30pm. It was very faced pace with horrible management and not the right tooling to do your job efficiently.
Outdated, Poor management, and poor treatment of workers
Car repair/Welder (Current Employee) –  Ville Platte, LAMay 16, 2017
Terrible place to work. Management is ignorant. Supervisors have no knowledge and no understanding. The whole plant is filthy. Lazy workers never get reprimanded while hard work is unappreciated. All management/supervisor positions are acquired through favoritism. Workers are treated like trash. There are many breaches in the Union contract.
Pros
Great health benefits, paid holidays, good pay close to home.
Cons
Management is corrupt, favoritism over skill/knowledge, unappreciated workers
Good and safe envierment to work at
Laborer/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Houston txMay 7, 2017
I liked working ther it was always safe and they provied chance to grow my experience i moved up from laborer to assembler and know im a certified welder.
Pros
Got breaks and safty meeting to alway be on my toes
Cons
Good company but local crew was very unprofessional
Railcar Repairman (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 24, 2017
Enjoyed working for UTLX, only problem was the supervisor and crew in location cut corners and were lazy toward quality and safety. Also there was constant discrimination toward race and religious beliefs that went uncorrected.
benefits
Cons
unprofessional crew
Honestly hit and miss
Partsman (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAApril 16, 2017
I wish no one had to work second shift. It's impossible to have a social or family life working second shift. This is the predicament I'm facing now. If you're single it's great, but not if you have a family or kids. It is a place you can make a decent living at and retire from though, plus the benefits are great. Day to day operations could be more efficient.
Pros
Benefits, overtime
Cons
Second shift, inefficiency day to day
Ping pong projects pick favorites
Railcar Repairman, Mobile Crew (Current Employee) –  El Dorado, KS 67042April 5, 2017
The people are all right but I all around get old after a year or so. Job is hard work and keeps you moving but a welder that been here for 5yrs still make 20.07 or around that
Pros
Cons
Many

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Tank Car Company (UTLX). Our community is ready to answer.

2.9