Union Tank Car Company (UTLX)

Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) Employee Reviews

Great Benefits and decent pay, but horrible management
Sub Arc Welder (Current Employee), Sheldon, TXMay 28, 2015
Easy work and your typical day is routine, so it becomes fairly easy overtime, but the management lacks leadership experience. Employees moral is fairly low.
Interesting and challenging
Location Manager (Former Employee), Robinson, ILMay 28, 2015
Pros: worked outdoors and moved from site to site
Cons: flame retardant coveralls in the summer
Fabricating sheet metal to weld in place. Inspected incoming rail cars for damage or defects. Co-workers were easy to get along with and enjoyable.
good work place
Welder (Former Employee), Sheldon, TXMay 26, 2015
great benefits good workplace environment when starting. Needs to change the seniority rule if hired for 1st shift must stay on 1st shift
productive
Assembler A / Welder (Former Employee), Alexandria, LAMay 24, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long hours
fitter, welder, assembler, cutting torch , fork lift operator, 40 ton overhead crane, got along with co workers. hardest part was quotas to meet
good paying job great benefits
Welder (Current Employee), sheldon txMay 21, 2015
they offer great benefits and a good hourly rate.
only thing wrong is, supervisors think they are prison guards and are more worried about the clothes you wear to work instead of seeking to for a more efficient way to help production get the daily quota.
Carmen II
Carnen II (Former Employee), Ville Platte, LAApril 25, 2015
I was a Carmen II. That means I repaired rail cars. They would bring them in and I along with my coworkers would do scheduled maintenance and general ware and tare.
Productive workplace
Welder Certification (Former Employee), Evanston, WYApril 19, 2015
Great place to work had me home every night. Management was a little rough but with a new head boss the place seems to have turned around. I am planning on returning in the near future.
challenging & interesting
HR Benefits Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2015
Learned a lot about the culture of the company. Diverse group of people; many interesting things to learn. Some growth possible depending on manager.
Good ole boy system
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee), Alexandria, LAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: interesting work. co-workers are great core group of people.
Cons: kick backs, take homes and upper management lack of education, experience, and management skills in general. do yourself a favor and stay far, far away.
Union Tank car is filled with upper management who were put into jobs by family. Daddy helped them get a position. The director of operations never completed the 8th grade. He has no experience to speak of, of any kind. He turns everything into a cutthroat competition where him and several other under performers gang up and the best performers to make themselves appear better. If you say something the upper management doesn't like, you will put your own career at risk. If you don't drink (daily), fish, hunt or have a mistress one is looked upon as being a non-team player.
Productive workplace with no ping pong table
IT Support / Server Admin (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2015
Provide professional help desk and desktop support. Manage laptops, desktops, servers, network, IP cameras and printers. Ensure all devices are working properly.
Simple but stressful
Administrative Assistant/Site Clerk (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LaFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: awesome crew, steady work
Cons: low pay, bad management
This job was simple but demanding, I enjoyed working with the crew and the clients. The training was self-taught, management was knowledgable of their jobs, making my job a little more difficult. The pay was horrible but the crew and the work being done made the job that more rewarding
Very prductive & great atmosphere
Operator/Steel Drum Roller (Former Employee), Alexandria, LAJanuary 20, 2015
At this job I was very happy with the work environment. My co-workers and I got along extremely well. The only reason I departed with this great company is because my family and I had to move to Shreveport for ministerial purposes. I did work with UTLX for about 7 months before accepting a position with GE.
great company
Welder / Fabricator (Former Employee), Alexandria, LANovember 17, 2014
great company. easy to work at this company. great co-workers. learn a lot while working there.
Tankcar Repair Company
Repair / Production Supervisor (Current Employee), Cleveland, TXNovember 11, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: sometimes union rules hinder
Company does provide training once you are hired. Most employees are hired as Car Repairmen and move within the company from there.
Fast paced company with excellent benefits
Quality Control Coordinator (Current Employee), Alexandria, LANovember 10, 2014
Pros: free lunches, over time, company functions
Cons: raises
I worked from 6am to 4:30pm, I worked with some really good people. The hardest part of the job was doing your work, making sure that there were no errors, and you wouldn't get rewarded for it. The best thing about the job had to be the people I worked closely with and the benefits were excellent.
I learned how to work in a loud manufacturing plant, which is a first for me. After while you learn how to tune the noise out.
The management was a little tense, but every company has their management problems.
The VP have all the say!
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Chicago,ILOctober 19, 2014
Great place to work until they hired a new CIO, who they tricked into creating a list of their employees by skill, . I worked there for 10 years and was let go. There were 52 Employees when I started, when I got laid off there where 8 employees left. They let employees go and it had nothing to do with skill set.. I new of two employee who skill set could not even compare to mine. Plus they demoted the CIO who made way more money then any of us. So never think your job is safe without a Union protecting you for all the right reasons.
Co-workers
Grinder (Former Employee), East Chicago, INJuly 22, 2014
Co-workers was team workers. We all worked with each other at the same pace. Great team work loved working here.
NOT THE PLACE FOR LONG TERM GROWTH
welder (Former Employee), sheldon txJune 1, 2014
Pros: benefits, overtime, starting pay for inexperienced
Cons: management and company culture is redneck/slavery type, inconsistent scheduling allows no time for workers to advance skills via school and be with family, short breaks, nasty restrooms everywhere, abusive language from lead men and supervisors, inflexible, point system(god awful), welding school limited
A typical day included welding non stop on half a tank which could take between 8-10 hrs depending on who you was working with. However the school did help me learn but was limited in helping me learn to weld in different positions. You can work as much as overtime you wanted or forced depending on your tolerance level. Working with other welders was the best part, mostly young guys and the inspectors were cool. For a newbie making 21$ my first job was sweet but...........not ideal for ambitious people, family oriented people and definitely not for those who don't believe in kissing someone's behind
Great work environment, and great benefit
Railcar Mechanic (Current Employee), Chester, PAJanuary 9, 2014
My co workers are awsome. The benefits are great. However there is no room for advancement.
A typical day at work
Welder/Set-up (Former Employee), East Chicago, INNovember 12, 2013
Union tank was a good place to work. They were good to their employee's, and was a diverse work place. When it came down to them shutting down the Indiana location they offered to either send employee's to learn a trade or transfer to a different location
Industry