Union Tank Car Company (UTLX)

Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible place to work
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Ville Platte, LAJuly 30, 2016
The management is horrible. Very inexperienced supervisors. The only thing you need to be successful there is confidence and ignorance. The working conditions are very poor and as said before your are basically a slave there. They also miss treat the worker's and tools are outdated and working conditions are dangerous.
Pros
Good benefits, you learn to really become a craftsman working with basically nothing
Cons
Management, working conditions, misstreatment of workers
A good position to have but lacks advancement.
Carman/Welder (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 27, 2016
In my time in this position I've learned more about the world of fabrication that I feel could not be learned anywhere else. While some co-workers could be more talented at bending, straightening, and metalworking, others can be more of the backbone to the welding and more intricate repairs. It is a place where everyone started from the very bottom and worked to where they are now. The immediate management are all people who have started in the yard and worked to their current positions. Some are going on forty years with the company. The hardest part would be adapting to the changes in the weather as my specific plant is outdoors.
Utlx
B WELDER (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAMay 31, 2016
I have learned a lot while working at UTLX. My co-workers and I worked great together and got a lot accomplished. The management on the other hand didn't give positive feed back, only negative no matter what we got accomplished. Management seemed to be less knowledgeable about the type of work we did than the regular employees. Job security at UTLX is very low due to the high turn over rate the company has. I enjoyed the work I did but not the under appreciation of the employees.
Great place to work at easy going time.
Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Hastings, NEApril 11, 2016
Everyone got along and worked well together, we all got most of our stuff done daily, wasnt really a hard job just so long as everyone worked together in a timely fashion and we all did.
They need management that has actually worked their way up
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  UtahApril 5, 2016
Management don't know anything about the actual work to be done and how long it takes. They need managers that have actually worked their way up from the bottom. They don't care about your family. They will tell you your going out of town the day before you need to leave. All they care about is paying low wages and making allot of money for themselves.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
too low of wages.. also bad corporate managers
welder
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  KansasMarch 15, 2016
great company close to home and has a lake 5 miles from the shop nice place to work over all to far from my kids that lived in Nevada.
Pros
town and lake
Cons
to far from home at the time
Terrible place to work
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Ville Platte, LAFebruary 5, 2016
The management is clueless, the corporate office hires management that knows nothing about railcars so they can tell them how to do every aspect of the job and not hear any back talk because the management doesn't know any better. They will take work off of them selves and put it on somebody else. They do not care about quality or processes just Making their money. I know this for a fact because I have been asked to ship cars that were not complete not correct and not safe. The supervisors pencil whip all of the paper work including respirator checks, fire drills, training documents, and so on. I wouldn't recommended this place to anyone unless you absolutely had to have a job
Pros
Great benefits, free lunch every once in a while
Cons
You are nothing but a clock number to them
Laid back and Good pay
Welder (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PADecember 13, 2015
I enjoyed the environment and the people I worked with aswell as the hourly pay rate i was offered. A typical day included welding, grinding, using a torch cutter, and following directions.
Utlx
Welder/Fabricator/Mechanic/CWI/Brakeman (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GANovember 21, 2015
Great company to work for. Great pay and excellent benefits. Very safe place to work for. One is safety, Two is Quality, Three is Production. Everyone cares for each other and ensures everyone is safe.
Pros
Medical, incentives
steady work with steady hours
Certified Welder & Valve Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXNovember 16, 2015
too much horse play constatly changing up workplace messing up paychecks and always harrassment superviosrs do not know anything at all about there jobs
it was a great place to work for 15years until they close down
Welder and inventory control purchasing supervisor (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXNovember 16, 2015
I had a great job their and got along with every one and the best bosses to every one work to gather and got along fine with each other
Pros
got a few free dinners
Cons
every thing was just fine and great health care
Repairman
Repairman-Leadman (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYNovember 8, 2015
Inspect inbound rail cars and repair all defects asap in a safe manner by following lock out tag out procedures. We were able to travel as we were a mobile unit for the company. Management and the co workers we amazing people to be around, and I enjoyed everyday I worked there.
50 years of bad habbits
Kanban Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2015
This was a difficult position to work in, there was a struggle to gain traction in an atmosphere where the middle management had been working in a culture that had been established 50 years prior to my introduction to this company. Yet upper management insisted on reforms and changes in disciplines needed to implement lean manufacturing. There was a high degree of conflict between appeasing both middle and upper management.
Pros
Very established company
Cons
Little to no rewards
Tough work but good pay
Rail Car / Tank Car Movement and Repair (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAOctober 19, 2015
Union Tank is good company to work for as long you mind getting dirty. I don't think one job out side of management and the storeroom is clean. As long as a job is open in house or in the company, you can bid for the job.
Worse company to work at if you have a family and plan on buying a home.
Assembler A Welder (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LAOctober 2, 2015
This company has great pay and great working hours. But the job security is questioned because of the numerous lay-offs they have.
Pros
Medical and Dental Insurance. 401K, Retirement.
Cons
Lay-offs, supervisor favortism
Mailroom sorter and repair technician
Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IlSeptember 9, 2015
I handle incoming and outgoing mail efficiently and accurately, making prompt deliveries to the appropriate employees throughout the day. I process paperwork on all incoming packages. My job also consists of setting up and cleaning up for meetings, and troubleshooting problems with office equipment.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
Not much room for growth
Good overall environment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAAugust 12, 2015
During my 6 years I went from production support to machine operator. The hardest part of my day was dealing with the extreme hot or cold in the building. Mostly all the job duties require you to stay alert and attentive so that everyone remains safe.
Pros
benefits/compensation
Cons
politics
Low pay
Entry Railcar mechanic (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJuly 28, 2015
I'm not sure what entry level railcar car mechanic is supposed to make,but I got a offer for 16.00 hr..Not what I was expecting, but I guess I'll have to settle for that..I was expecting more hopefully that will come in time.
Pros
Training and multiple locations
Cons
Low pay
Great Benefits and decent pay, but horrible management
Sub Arc Welder (Current Employee) –  Sheldon, TXMay 28, 2015
Easy work and your typical day is routine, so it becomes fairly easy overtime, but the management lacks leadership experience. Employees moral is fairly low.
Interesting and challenging
Location Manager (Former Employee) –  Robinson, ILMay 28, 2015
Fabricating sheet metal to weld in place. Inspected incoming rail cars for damage or defects. Co-workers were easy to get along with and enjoyable.
Pros
worked outdoors and moved from site to site
Cons
flame retardant coveralls in the summer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Tank Car Company (UTLX). Our community is ready to answer.

Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) Reviews by Location