UniSea Employee Reviews in United States

Elderly in need of great service
Case Packer Operator (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe SpringsJuly 20, 2015
Dietary/ server. Quality great food with no added salts and fortified assuring the patients were not consuming the wrong foods. With hospitality and a smile on my face.
Pros
great quality
Cons
death and sarrow
You will meet people from all walks of life
QC/QA looking for full time work (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKMay 4, 2012
A typical day is that you move every minute of the day. You work hard, and there are time to get a little slacking in. You make friends that last a life time. It is good to work there. you WILL work for a few months, then you get a vacation,they pay your way from seattle, wa to dutch harbor. There you will meet a beautiful women . she takes care of everyone, I mean everyone, all 1,700 of us. They cook for you, they do your laundry. they take care of you and all you have to do is show up for work.
Pros
you work, you get paid for your hours
Cons
easy to get, flu's and colds..
it was hard work at first but fun with nice co workers and all my supervisors were nice
seafood processor/deck hand (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKOctober 8, 2014
this job was a nice experience and helped me know my limits and how far i could push my self and i had time too do my own thing
Pros
recreation times
Cons
tiering work
Cold, wet and tiring
Processor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 19, 2014
Packing Fish
stacking boxes
leaving wet cold and sore.
With very little to look forward too.
Pros
living in dutch harbor alaska
Cons
working in dutch harbor alaska
Life experience
Planner (Current Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AlaskaDecember 27, 2012
Enjoyed my time in this culture, learning the different side to planning based on fish processing system.
Pros
aways learning the key process of changing work and life style
Cons
isolation is a big down factor
Hard work, low pay in a high cost town, bias against Americans.
processor, offloader. (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKDecember 16, 2012
To start off, the work is not all that hard. A lot of the positions involve standing around and doing menial tasks. The enjoyable and fulfilling jobs seem like they are off limits and are granted to friends or family of leads. In my time with Unisea I have seen countless hardworking people turned down for jobs while friends and family of the blue and red hats (leads and supervisors) move up. It's like most corporations; Oversight in all the wrong places. Another thing I didn't like about Unisea is that spoken English is a requirement for employment, but my leads couldn't speak it well enough to train me on an especially physically demanding job. I was injured on that same job. Three of my ribs became dislocated and was causing intense pain. When i went to make an injury report, I had to continue pressing the two safety personnel to record it and make an actual report. They kept making excuses as to why they don't shouldn't need to. I went to the clinic and got my ribs popped into place. What followed over the next four days was bizarre. I was woken up by security at 3am the next day to be escorted to the main security office. I was questioned about my injury. The man kept insisting that my injury was not caused by the job I was doing, yet there was another employee who suffered a similar injury on the same job (plate freezer, loading) I missed the next two days of work. I tried to go back to the clinic on the fourth day because of increasing pain. As I was about to head to the clinic i was pulled aside and told that I had to talk to security again, this time the head of security.  more... Same questioning. I was prevented from going to the clinic. I felt intimidated. I wasn't ever interested in workers comp. I just wanted my ribs to heal so i could continue making money.

The pay (7.75 at my time of employment) is not worth the work. I still cannot figure out how Alaska has that low of a minimum wage compared to it's cost of living. Or why Unisea pays minimum wage to begin with. Granted, it's not completely necessary to buy food and drink because it's provided four times a day, but other things like clothing, phone cards or cellphones, stuff to pass time, etc, cost a lot of money. Also you need to buy drinks for your room because the galley isn't always open. The room and board charge is steep for a place that wouldn't be able to find employees if it didn't provide it's own housing. I think they should provide it free of charge like they used to. They already offer hefty bonuses and nice apartment housing to almost everyone except processors, yet they charge for the 4-6 person dorms. The only good I found during my work at Unisea was the food, people, and scenery. Everyone should conquer bunker hill and make an effort to hike the island. Very peaceful outside of the processing facility. The only reason i will work there is because I have to. They know this, and I believe that is why they get away with underpaying. That, and every dollar is 41 peso in the Philippines, so the majority of employees actually make a living wage, just not the Americans.

*Everything contained in this review is what I experienced while working for Unisea Dutch Harbor. Everything stated as actual events did in fact happen in my time of employment. I provide this review so that any prospective employees can get a better idea of the type of corporation Unisea is.
Pros
great people, good food, scenery and environment, good stepping stone if in a rut, work isn't difficult, housing isn't bad.
Cons
sketchy management, leads not well versed in english language, bias towards americans from lower management, inadequate wages.