Unisys Employee Reviews

A tremendous place to work and grow
Dell certified field technician (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRMarch 13, 2016
A normal day in Unisys is an adventure because you have to visit several customers around several cities and learn every day new things about new equipments and technology.

I learned how to organize and prioritize customers according to their needs.

Personally i work on remote location and management is real good. Everytime i need to solve something there is always a quick answer for me.

Co Workers are awesome, we share knowledge and help each other when we have to bring support.

The hardest part is to travel long time but i part of the business and we have to do it. During long time of travel we have chance to coordinate with customers arrival time.

The most enjoybable part of Unisys is that we have the opportunity to search and find information about issues with and extend base of knowledge. For sure i always find a solution for any situation.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
healtcare is not the best on market
Average company. Lacks innovation. Too much management
Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAMarch 7, 2016
It is a good starting point for new graduates but the lack of new technologies hinders your learning curve and future skills development. I would not recommend working here for long since the heavy usage of legacy tools and languages would take you back to the 80's. (Nobody writes code in Cobol, Algol and Newp these days)

Work culture is okay with a bit of laid back attitude. Usually a fast paced environment would have been more suitable. Older employees are highly skilled but due to the management's poor vision, they are still stuck at mainframes. A lot of this is attributed to the fact that they relied on their older employees and did not hire new graduates until very recently. Now that the market has hit them really hard, they are laying off people left, right and center. There is too much of micro management due to the existing workforce which is a big impediment to employee growth.

Employee benefits and discounts aren't great. You might as well live without them and it wouldn't make a difference.
Pros
Laid back, health insurance, 401k
Cons
Frequent layoffs, management to steer the company, no technical leadership
Unisys overall was a great experience for me.
Computer Engineer (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAMarch 14, 2016
There was plenty of interesting work and flexible hours.

The Agile development system used in approximately the last 8 years I was there was a plus in my opinion.

There was always an overabundance of administration as may be the case in many large corporation(not sure since Unisys is my only large corporate experience).

The most enjoyable part was the work we did.

It was excellent knowing and working with some really good people for almost 34 years.

The pay at Unisys was never the best and Unisys did not have good benefits.
Worst Company i ever worked for
Phone Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAFebruary 3, 2016
In a short detail. This company never kept one promise. That was made when i was hired on. they said special training and a laptop. i never received any of it. then the management was very poor when you ask or need help. they move people from contracts left and right and never bat an eye for someone constantly showing good work. i could go on but that is the just of it.
benefits
Cons
your benefits deductible is 1500...
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 2, 2016
It can be improved and I feel that the benefits aren't as competitive as other companies. I would like to see improvement in management and the benefits.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Unisys
Project Manager/Service Delivery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 12, 2016
Unisys is a good company to wok for. There are a lot of virtual jobs that you can apply for. I have been working there for over a year and I see potential. There are issues with advancement and pay raises.
Nice starting job
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 18, 2016
Great co workers but horrible compensation. You use your own car which is horrible. They reimburse horribly also, I think 15 cents a mile. Make sure you have plenty of money before you start here.
Pros
Own schedule
Cons
Pay
Desk monkey job.
L1 (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GADecember 12, 2015
Generous computer use policy. Nice facilities. Generally convivial group of people. Thankfully diverse. Overall average as for benefits, work/life balance, ruled by software to which you must adhere: support granted not as important as generating and eliminating tickets.
Pros
Decent employment in an economically depressed area.
Cons
Short breaks, measured to the 100th of a second, high-school style bureaucracy.
Great people. Downhill from there
Infrastucture Architect (Former Employee) –  MNAugust 27, 2015
You'll work with great colleagues. But the company's not at all on a growth trajectory. Pipeline in my business unit was dismal and every project felt like it could be the last,..until it was. Ideas are not new, bench is not deep, and the company struggles to articulate who it is and what it does. Project staff is willing to work very hard, and management is only too happy to exploit that. Projects are rarely scoped right and Unisys tends to set itself up committing to projects it can't deliver...and then pointing fingers at the overworked, understaffed rank and file and telling them they aren't working hard enough or well enough. Management structure is bloated and confusing. Generally, it's a pleasant environment to work in from day to day. Compensation is a mixed bag. You can start out at a good enough salary but raises are extremely hard to come by.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
The only future is treading water
So much room for improvement
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 20, 2015
Unisys has been around for a long time and has some very experienced people working as L2's, L1's, and Managers. They have great pay but their benefits aren't enticing to new hires or existing employees.

With more focus on their entry level employees and better benefits Unisys could be a driving force in the Technical Support industry, but because of their lack of benefits I have seen a lot of attrition.
Pros
Great base pay for the work.
Cons
Lack of significant benefits.
Lone wolf
Associate Engineer (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNNovember 16, 2015
Flexible work life balance to cater around individuals needs.

Progressive workloads, and being put on new projects often. Exposure to lots of new technology.

Benefits could be better, but compensation is average.

Must be a self starter and ask questions for knowledge of colleagues .
Layoffs come often.
Pros
flexibility, and work life balance
Cons
Paid monthly
Productive,Effective,Pleasant
Senior Software System Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mclean, VAAugust 11, 2015
My Typical day work consisted of:

• Designed and executed test cases
• Analyzed test results and documented the outcome
• Troubleshoot application errors and made recommendations on assessment
• Verified that application met client’s specifications
• Performed Independent Verification and Validation (V&V) for applications
• interact with team member discussing application and testing needs
• Performing peer reviews on various documentations
• Software testing
• Meetings
Pros
Competitive Base Salary (above market for in demand skill sets)
Cons
Management then didn't know how to communicate effectively with the team/employees.
A good school to learn all kind of stuff
Customer Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 19, 2016
Touched all kind of technologies and learned a lot of stuff.
Engaged on all kinds of work environments and people everyday.
Very statistic centered management forgetting that employees needs rest from time to time, everyday is a full load of work without time for administrative duties like training or reports, management forced employees to work on the weekend.
No compensation or at least a thank you note for giving "the extra mile".
I had to use my own car for all activities and the company reimbursed only the first 1K miles after that they imposed a 50% CAP discount, no car allowance.
Company would not pay for training because management believed that talent would betray by deserting.
Pros
Met a lot people. Learned a lot of stuff.
Cons
Not enough training to fulfill technology evolution, I had to pay from my own pocket to get my certifications. Nonexistent career advancent.
Unisys Spot
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCAugust 11, 2016
While in Unisys Federal there was a feeling of being like family and working with a team.

Commercial side of the house is very close to every man for himself.
While there is training available internal and external it is more difficult to get approved for external training not provided internally.

Coworker tend to not want to own the Brand mostly because management seems distant and at times unsupportive.

Within my work domain I've learned a lot you could say I was given opportunities to experience many aspects of service delivery over the years but the line of business has shifted and no longer exist.
Pros
Good benefits and work life balance
Cons
Not what it once was
Productive work place with semi monthly employee hang outs
Jr. Network & Infrastructure Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 16, 2016
Typical day at work in my projects were so demanding with back to back meetings on a daily basis with stakeholders.
I learned to multi tasking under pressure can make you creative and imaginative.
It was a structured management style, with option of working remotely.
Some of my co-workers that I met in the office were great to work with as the practiced work ethics.
The hardest part of my job were push back from mostly technical team which led to escalation to higher management.
The most enjoyable part is when we had come together through periodic events like, employee picnics, free luncheon, and town house meeting that brought workers together.
Pros
Cons
poor management from leadership
The corporation
Technical Support Specialist, 3rd Level (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2016
The experience with the Unisys Corporation itself was disorganized and cold. The experience with co workers and clients we supported was great. I rarely needed to interact with the overall company itself. The management was for the most part non existent, or transparent to us except for a few very capable individuals. The less of higher management having to managed, the better things went. I cannot rate the company as a whole, as my experience is more closely tied to 3rd party clients we supported which were overall very positive. Unisys benefits and policies have been changing for the worse, and little to no pay increases ever materialize.
Pros
The company stays in the background when you are supporting one of they're client companies
Cons
few to no pay increases, Disorganized, Poor management and employee representation.
Nice and cooperative work environment with multiple challenges made available to employees thus provoking career growth.
Software Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAJune 6, 2016
I had a really good time during my work years in Unisys. I had opportunities to work with various groups during a product qualification cycle. We had several entertainment hours throughout the years which were pure fun. Management were used to be very helpful and cooperative. Thus my experience at work was cherishing and challenging.
Pros
supporting work environment, effective communication between the peers, efficiency and availability of testing equipments, supportive management groups.
Cons
simultaneous project qualification, time management during multiple product qualifications simultaneously
Grim outlook - cannot recommend
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Blue Bell, PAJuly 17, 2016
Pros
Opportunities to advance career and contribute. Recent shift to metrics focus provides better visibility to performance and contributions.

Cons
Company has been on a slow downward spiral with no end in sight. Constant downsizing and offshoring of high performing talent has killed moral and created an environment of keeping your head down and protecting your piece of the pie. Salary freezes for years leaves long time employees significantly underpaid. HQ is a ghost town after all of the headcount reductions.

Advice to Management
You cannot cost cut your way out of the hole that has been dug.
Unisys Corporation
Marketing Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJuly 7, 2016
I enjoyed my work while I was at Unisys. At the time I was a Marketing Support Representative. My duties included knowing the terminals we used and the software that ran on those machines to assist our Sales personal on their customer calls. Other duties included training customers in the use of our products. I would regularly go to customer sites to evaluate their needs and assist in clearing us any misunderstanding. At various locations would conduct training to our customer base.
Pros
My background was used in numberous ways - showing flexability
Cons
Traveled to customer sites far and wide - which I enjoyed
Decent work place
Technical support (Former Employee) –  UtahSeptember 18, 2015
Management wasn't the best. If you ever miss time without it being planned you're screwed. The people you work with are the best part of the job. They do layoffs a lot so you feel like the job isn't very secure and they don't really care about keeping you seeing as you can be easily replace. Decent job with benefits. If you plan on working here make sure you never call in or come in late.
Pros
Decent work environment
Cons
Bad management