United Airlines Employee Reviews in United States

It was a great job in the beginning.
Customer Service/ Ramp Service (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 6, 2016
When I started with United Airlines in 1987, is was a career choice. Great benefits, free medical, dental, and a great pension plan. Plus almost free travel for life, and the pay wasn't bad. But things changed after 9/11, pay-cuts, lost pension plan, and in the end we were outsourced. We could keep our jobs if we moved to Seattle or Portland, or Denver, but to stay in Spokane you would work for some non union contract company for $10.00 an hour and no benefits.
Pros
Great team of coworkers and travel benefits for life.
Cons
After the merger with Continental less trust from the company, and less job security.
Always happy and proud to be part of United Airlines.
Cargo Rev Acct Customer Svc Rep. (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2016
United it was a great company to work for.
A typical day at work goes very quickly due to the different tasks to perform and different cases to manage.
Learned how to work in a company with a great diversity of cultures at management level as well as company level.
Very honest and candid in dealing with managers and co-workers.
Posses a work ethic and find that no job is hard to be done The combination of good leadership and eager to work is the right tool to perform any hard job.
Customer satisfaction was and it will be the most enjoyable part or my job.
Pros
Travel benefits.
Cons
Commuting time
Overall, United is a great place to work.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Everyday at work was a welcomed challenge for me, along with endless opportunities to learn. Working as a customer service representative allowed me to use my interpersonal and problem solving skills on a daily basis. My co-workers were more like family due to the job culture of working together as a team. The hardest part of the job was being faced with a customer problem that could not be resolved, and the most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the public, and being able to assist customers with their needs, and resolving conflicts in a way that proved to be beneficial to both the customer and to United.

The years I worked for United allowed me to learn and develop interpersonal and problem-solving skills, strong organizational and time management skills, and how to remain customer focused. I trust that the knowledge of these skills, along with my customer service experience will serve as an asset to my future employer.
Pros
Flying benefits
My Overall view
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2016
I was SOOOOO FORTUNATE and grateful to GOD to had been given a second chance at working for an airline and taking advantage of the travel perks that came with being an employee. The international experiences of meeting different cultures for other countries were life altering. One must be mentally prepared to be able to handle the work conditions of being in the elements year round. You will truly earn your travel benefits.
Pros
The ability to provide for your family, travel perks, proficiency in the calibur of work.
Cons
The change in mamagment and its new practices made it a hostile environment
Very Unorganized
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 1, 2016
I love this JOB with all my heart. But the work environment behind the counter is absolutely terrible I would not recommend this job to anyone ever in my life. I love this job because I meet new people and the job is just amazing, if it was being run correctly by management was doing their job, but they are not. The manager is verbally disrespectful. My co-workers have no motivation to do their best because we are the lowest paid airline in Savannah/ Hilton Head Airport. Below the wings make $8 an hour, which is not anything. They are responsible for making sure the plane goes off safely, you would think that much responsibility would come with a bigger number attached to it. Above the wing makes 9.25 and there is no room for moving up really.
Pros
Flight benefits
Cons
Everything else
overall great place to work
Business Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAFebruary 29, 2016
Company based on seniority. Benefits are great if you like to travel. It was a difficult decision to leave the company but I left for educational purposes because I had a greater interest in the medical profession.
Pros
travel, great people to work with, good benefits, space to grow and get promotions
Cons
short breaks, some bad management, some people have to stand for long periods, abnormal working hours (its an airline)
I Loved My Job!
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2016
I enjoyed my years as a Flight Attendant. It served me well. I bought 4 homes, opened my own business and put 3 kids through college.

It did however include constant challenges. My last year I defibulated 2 passengers having heart attacks, helped a 8yr old boy having a seizure & helped a fireman who passed out in the isle.
The general public has change and I found myself questioning my own safety.
Highly pressured, health concerns and missing my own home I decided to take the early out and moved to Lubbock in order to spent more quality time with my 3 TTU grads. It has been a joy and blessing.
Pros
Schedule Flexibility, Travel benefits, Benefits package
Cons
Lack of sleep, proper diet, health dangers due to radiation exposure.
Great Job Serving Customers in many Departments
Global Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 9, 2015
30 Years of Airline Experience including, Ramp Service, Load Planning, Baggage Service, United Club Concierge, Global Services Manager, Departure Gate, Push back of Aircraft for Dispatch, Control Center. Fast paced environment with total On time Departures, Management Opportunity in Global Services. Good knowledgeable Co-workers. Learned that it takes so many people from so many departments to get even one airplane off the ground. I was fortunate to work in so many different departments that I am well grounded in most aspects of the Airline Business.
Pros
Flight Benefits, Excellent Insurance, Good work Environment
Cons
Cancelled flights, Late Flights, Missed Connections
Manager - IT Application Development (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 2, 2016
good job security, and autonomy, but need to leave and come back for proper compensation.
compensation finally will be more performance based next year, so headed in right direction.
Pros
job security, autonomy
Cons
generally lower intelligence level of co-workers
Leadership Needs Improvement
Former Team Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 10, 2016
I am a former employee, and while I was employed by Chelsea, I observed many things happening there. The leadership of every department is weak and needs lots of improvement. They will only manipulate you and force you to run by their rules, since they are not under a Union. Not a place to recommend, but a few people and the benefits are the greatest parts of it.
Pros
Meeting new people, flying benefits
Cons
Everything else
Great place to work. Flight Privileges.
Lead Avionics Maintenance Technician-SR/SSR. (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA and Indianapolis, IADecember 16, 2015
Great place to work. I worked in the Avionics Shops, supporting the On-Board Electronic Components, including the Inertial Guidance System on the Flight Deck. I was able to transfer to the Maintenance Support facility in Indianapolis, Indiana. I was able to actually work on various Boeing Aircraft.

One of the great benefits at United was the ability to take low cost flights, because of this, my wife and I were able to take to multiple trips.
Pros
Flight Privileges.
Cons
The work schedule. Interesting, but at times hectic.
Good pace of work and fun coworkers
United Airlines Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIFebruary 22, 2016
I know every airport is different as well as every company but with United Airlines at the Hilo airport, we worked hard yet still had our fair share of fun. Most of the time, the aircraft left the block in a clean, timely manner. I'm sure every airport has those unfriendly customers but what can you do?
Cons
No flight benefits at United Airlines Hilo station
United Airlines was fun and challenging.
Ramp Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 5, 2015
A typical day at work included working on the ramp loading and unloading airplanes, working in the terminal sorting luggage and delivering luggage to the appropriate gate. I learned how to read the luggage tags, in terms of the city/state destination. My co-workers were really fun to work with. We made the best of it, especially when the weather was extremely cold. The hardest part of the job was that it was not for me. Although it was fun, I was not utilizing my office skills AND the pay was very low.
Pros
Great benefits - flight and health insurance
Cons
Hourly wage
Great Customer service experience
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 14, 2015
Early morning open shift- get front customer service desk ready for morning flights, kiosk working, baggage tag machines working
provided excellent customer service for hundreds of passengers checking in. would also help re-book/re-route delayed or cancelled flights.
management was very productive and assistive. making sure everything was going smoothly and making sure we had everything we needed as far as help.
fun out going atmosphere in ticket operations and customer service
hardest part of the job were cancellations but also the most enjoyable as you sped things up and made the day go by faster constantly re-booking passengers
Pros
Flight benefits
Cons
Pay
Have had many years of customer services experience with United and a positive work environment
Assist travelers (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 19, 2016
I am a long term United employee and have been very happy to be with this employer. I/ve grown a great deal in years with United. I enjoy getting to learn a lot of new things, I enjoy working with both the public and co-workers.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
sometime difficult to work with HR
I loved my co-workers
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 27, 2016
I enjoyed working at LAX for United Airlines. I loved working with different people and meeting passengers from all around the world.
Pros
Flight Benefits. Being able to fly for free or for nominal fee to anywhere United Airlines flies
Cons
Delayed and canceled flights, oversold flights, angry passengers
This job was the hardest, most rewarding job I have ever had the opportunity to be a part of.
United Airlines Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of waking up early to check in an hour before our plane took off to make sure the aircraft was secure. We would then board the plane and set up our area of work that we were assigned to. Once we would boarded we would be of accommodation to our passengers and make sure that the flight went well. We would then deplane our aircraft and would either have a layover in whatever city we were at, or we would go to our next destination.
I have learned about many different cultures and how to handle many challenging situations. I also learned how to provide security and safety to anyone who boarded our plane.
Though we were going through contract negotiations, our management treated us well and benefits were sufficient.
I enjoy teamwork and learning from each of my co-workers. I relearned the policies and procedures from co-workers who came in after me and I learned many neat tricks from co-workers who had been with the company for several years.
The hardest part of the job was living in a different state and being on quick call.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and getting to know new people.
Indecisive Leadership
Sr Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2015
IT leadership afraid to make decisions or too proud to admit mistakes and change directions when necessary. This creates a leadership vacuum and groups and employees compete with one another for favor to deploy solutions causing duplication of effort and confusion. This is a big waste of time, money and effort.

Changes to employee flight benefits and flight cutbacks has diluted the benefit and it is hard to take advantage of this benefit anymore.
Pros
Cons
Indecisive leadership, lack of investment in employee development
Job has ups and downs
Manager Inflight Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2015
The culture is changing to make everyone work fast and not slow down to get things right. We were told to get on board with accelerating all projects or get out. The issue with this, is not the work itself, it is the mistakes that happen with there is no time to test new items and push them out without analyzing the risks.
Pros
Flight Benefits
Cons
Hard work/life balance
Company outsourced to an express carrier for cheaper labor
Customer Care / Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 25, 2015
26 years of faithful service, outsourced 3 times, able to retire although with no benefits.....Great Company!!! Management has no concern for the frontline employee. Company was financially in trouble and adopted a program where it would be employee owned through pay cuts and forced stock purchase. At the end of the term when the company would be considered employee owned (5 years 9 months) the company formally filed for bankruptcy and rendered all of our purchased stock worthless.....Great Company!!! Company merged with Continental Airlines and after the merger the only thing that remained was the name, just about everything that was United was eliminated.
Pros
Cons
everything