United Cerebral Palsy of New York City

United Cerebral Palsy of New York City Employer Reviews

Work hard, have fun, make a difference
Financial Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 31, 2014
Overall, it's good; great work-life balance, friendly coworkers and a great place to excel your career.
Learned so much from having a bigger responsibility than wha was expected.
My job as a volunteer.at UCP
VOLUNTEER-DAY HAB ASSISTANT (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 25, 2014
Pros: short hours
Cons: no pay
After working a few years at UCP As a paid employee I left to take care of my aging mother. When I came back to UCP I became a part time volunteer. As a volunteer I would help out with busing.
I would also help out at lunch. I would also converse and interact with the clients one on one. Management was always supportive. Co workers were grateful for my assistance. The hardest part of the job was to work without pay. The easiest part of the job was the short hours.The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting and conversing one on one with the clients.
Very busy work flow
Clinical Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 19, 2014
My days are very busy from the moment I walk in till the end of the day. The first thing I do in the morning is print out the schedule for the following day so that I can call and confirm the appointments, verify the insurances and setup transportation. I also have to call our individuals that are in program to remind them to come to their appointments the day of the appointment. What I have learned is how use the EHR system to set up appointments and to scan charts into the Nextgen system. I work with a great team, everyone pitches in to help out everyone. At the end of the day what I love about my job is getting to know the individuals and putting a smile on their faces.
Interesting work experience
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 2, 2014
I personally feel it is an experience like any other. Working with disabled individuals has been eye-opening and life-changing.
There's growth in this company.
Residence Program Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: alot of overtime
Cons: no coverage for per diems
A typical day at work consists of a lot of hard work and patience. Working for UCP , I learned how to use a blood pressure machine and a G tube. The Management and fellow staff members at UCP is very cooperative and unified. Hardest part working at UCP is dealing with the consumers mood swings. Working at UCP, I enjoyed interacting with the consumers.
It was productive and great to see the children
Fi-Tech, Administrator Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: great hours and having all the school days holidays off.
Cons: no steady directors on site, 7 within the 5 years i was there.
A typical day at work was checking the phone to see who was out, then do classroom coverage, announce bussing when the children arrived. Take care of classroom and office supplies weekly, do clinicians schedules on the computer and their attendance. Add new students to the Board of Education Pre-K Rider System, Do lunch count and order lunches for the students. Take chldrens daily attendance and give out their breakfast. Do requisitions for supplies and give petty cash when needed. Do the expenditures report allocating to $ 600.00. Give training to new clinicians on the computer for the Education Tracking System, Process clinicians timesheets and fax to the proper agencies.

I learned how to run a program and teaching a director how to run the program was not an easy task per say.

Management wasn't always available as they were busy with other things or out of the building. When two office staff members retired the new director thought he can sit back and be on his iphone letting me handle all the work with no assistance. He turned to be angry unsensitive and unprofessional yelling and using fowl language to staff.

Co-worker were great, they were team players when it came to the children.

The hardes part of the day was when we had to call the ambulance for one of the disable children.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children smile or accomplish something that they were working on. So when the day went by smoothly with no emergencies it was an awesome feeling which meant all the children were find.
Great aganecy to gain experience
Case Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 4, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule and great co workers
Cons: working weekends
UCP is geared towards promoting from within which is awesome. Typically my days are busy, you never know what you will get because things change daily.
beautiful place to work in
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 1, 2013
Pros: benefits, job advancements
Cons: pay rates are based by experience except for the hha's
Love the consumers main reason why i'm working here. only thing is there are too many rules and regulations to follow other than that its the perfect place to work if you're looking to work with the developmentally disabled.
Love the consumers
Residence Program Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 7, 2013
I enjoy the work and getting closeto the comsumers tgey are the best group of people that I could have worked with...I really enjoyed UCP.
Fast paced stepping stone
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 5, 2013
Filled with projects
Weekly deadlines
Not a lot of down time
Must be people oriented
Fun hardworking staff
Loveable children
patience and character building job
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Being a direct care counselor, i supervised and assist patients with severe to mild autism, Administered medication, recorded and accounted for any injuries. Prepared meals kept track of patient’s finances and recorded information daily. Assisted on daily outing’s, organized and planned activities for patients, and provided a nurturing environment for patients.
Working with the consumers
Residence Program Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 29, 2013
I enjoy working with the consumers and putting smiles on their faces light up my day.
Fun enviornment
Habilitation Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: salary
The day started off slow as we waited for the consumers to come to program,,,Then the fun times begin, with taking them on outings, having fun talking and laughing allowing the consumer to enjoy themselves..
I learned a lot working at non profit organization
Habilitation Specialist (Teacher) (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 30, 2012
Pros: working with the omrdd population
Cons: not organized
I enjoyed working with the OMRDD population and it taught me to be humble, I am a people person any way so it was not hard for me to care for others and to respect their feelings.
Productive, learning and fun environment
Habilitation Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 22, 2012
Cons: short breaks and not enough pay
i enjoy working where there is structure and not exceptions to the rules. On a typical work day its very busy and the dynamic can change in the building at any time because of the population i work with. i've learned alot about individuals with disabilities. the most enjoyable thing about my job is advocating for clients. the most challenging thing is making sure my clients needs and wants r taking care of.
Fast paced enviornment
Administrative Assistant/Financial Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 6, 2012
Great place to work as a stepping stone to future employment
Family like atmosphere with room to grow
Habilitation Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 2, 2012
A typical day at work involves paper work, supervision and interaction with consumers, MSC's and family members.

What I have learned most from this position thus far is how to improve my communication skills to effectively manage and direct the staff who I supervise.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see the hard work of myself and coworkers pay off. Even more so, when I see the staff enjoying what they do.