United Church of Christ Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Excellent place to work. Well defined requirements. Opportunity to use several skills.
Church Secretary (temporary employment) (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNSeptember 17, 2015
I worked filling in for the regular church secretary for one month. She did an excellent job in preparing me for my duties. I liked the quick pace and the ability to interface with a number of people
Pros
Pleasant office environment. Cordial people to work with.
Cons
Would like to work longer, but regular employee returned as expected.
Productive Workplace, Excellent people
Administrative Assistant to Communication (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 16, 2015
The job had a excellent balance of work and home life for employees. Most employees seemed well adjusted.

There are some issues of "Left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing." from time to time and that could be frustrating.
Pros
Compensation, Staff, Work Environment
Cons
Goverenance, Mircomanagement
Wonderful Work Place
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, NJOctober 21, 2014
Reliable child care worker, talented at creating a safe stimulating environment for young children. Expertly leading individual and group activities to encourage learning and develop social interaction skills.
Helping the students with all of their homework and making them leave with a smile.
Pros
snacks provided for the students
Cons
no breaks
Administrative Professional
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioSeptember 29, 2014
Excellent company environment, comprehensive salary benefits, awesome pension plan, great building relationships
Pros
very flexible schedule
Cons
constant budget reduction, poor leadership
Allows you to be who you are
Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland OHSeptember 2, 2014
I have an great sense of humor and was allowed to express it everyday. I learned business is business. Management needs coaching on being transparent - that's what they preach and then you are blindsided with being "let go" . Some of us will work for less money, we took surveys to what end? meant nothing in the long run. ask employees to take a pay reduction, pay for some benefits, we are all not about the almighty dollar.
Pros
benefits, diversity which is wonderful
Cons
dishonesty
I great place to be and help members. I love this place .
Volunteer Loan Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2013
The United Church of Christ is an awesome place . I love being here to help .
Pros
i am a member giving back
Cons
i don"t have any
Short, sweet, and simple
Nursery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 2, 2013
A typical day for me here would begin around 8:30am and from there I wouldn't know if I would see any kids that morning or have up to a dozen kids that day.
Pros
short shifts, freedom to read or work on homework if no kids showed up
Cons
early on a sunday morning
Don't work here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland OHApril 19, 2013
Company does pay for your benefits of dental, health, and life. They contribute 14% each year towards your pension. You also do get a lot of vacation, personal days, and sick days. But don't be fooled!! Many employees are miserable because this company operates more like a church and not a business. Employees only stay because of the time off. If you are not a manager in most areas, you are nobody and they will not listen to your concerns. Place is VERY political and it is best that you be a pastor, manager, or UCC member if you want to get ahead in this company. They are also in the middle of restructuring so some people will be losing their jobs soon and I suspect that some of these benefits will be changing. Upper management and HR work together on many issues so if you are an employee that is being mistreated don't expect anything good to happen in your favor. They do their best to keep managers there forever and the best employees can seek employment elsewhere. They also throw other duties as assigned on the job descriptions so often times you end up doing the job of your manager. Pay is also mediocre but when you add the 14% pension its not too bad but you can't touch the pension money until you're 55 or go part-time. There are no merit increases just annual reviews which are a joke especially if you work for a bad manager. When you do get an increase, which is maybe every couple of years it is only somewhere between 2-3% which equates to nothing since by then the cost of living has went up. Most employees are nice and you will work with some talented people but it is  more... just unfortunate that this company does take people's talents for granted. There also isn't any room for growth so don't expect to move up the ladder. Be comfortable with your salary from the beginning because that will be what you will be making as long as you work for the UCC. Employees do report a lot and it is easy to get back-stabbed so it is best to stay to yourself for the most part. This is a company where your survival really depends on who you are and who you report to, not on your work quality. This is your official warning!!  less
Pros
time off & company paid benefits
Cons
company too political and employees are often mistreated
Productive and a great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 10, 2012
Come to work and start my day with fresh and new ideas.
I learned how to process budget inquires.
Managemet was great. Never complained about anything. Very understanding.
My co-workers was team players and nice to be around.
There were no hard part about this job.
The most enjoyable part was learning new things.
Pros
hour lunches, good healthcare
Cons
no room for growth
Open and affirming, all inclusive diverse environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 18, 2011
Very positive experience. I miss the synergy and the people.
Pros
warm friendly environment
Cons
downsizing