United Dairy Farmers Employee Reviews

Very busy work space. Very family loving environment.
Dip Side Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHMay 23, 2017
Working at UDF was a great experience for me! I got a taste of working in an ice cream parlor and convenient store. I was always on my feet and always had something to do!
Pros
Good pay, different positions within job, good environment
Cons
Scheduling (hours)
Productive work enviornment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cleveland Heights, OHMay 21, 2017
It was OK, the general manager was a piece of work, but my store manager was great, and flexible with our hours. I had fun working here, although it was a lot of work, we pulled together to help each other which made it a good work environment.
Pros
Positive work place
Cons
Poor pay, not enough hours
Awful Place To Work
Cashier/Dip Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hebron, KYMay 18, 2017
This company does not give you breaks, the managers expect too much from people who are paid too little. Schedules are never set and work is awful. I have worked over 10 hours at this job without being able to eat or go to the bathroom. Not one apology from the company or management. Should be sued. Very little appreciation from management. People get rewarded for showing up late and being disrespectful. No discount, just free drinks while you're working.
Be ready to not see your family
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHMay 16, 2017
The impossible is expected. The Zone Manager expects each and every store to look like it has never been shopped in no matter the time of day. Managers are paid for 45 hours a week but if you work less than 50 its frowned upon. This job is for single adults that don't have a family.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
work you to death
Not too bad
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, KYMay 11, 2017
Worked for 4 years, my manager was completely awful but not all were. Great company to work for, they seem to care about their employees. Could definitely use better pay.

Also, they don't give breaks or lunches. OSHA has been called on them in the past as well. I worked many 16 hour shifts on my feet, almost in tears on front register without even a 15 minute break.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
No breaks or lunches
United dairy farmers there ok.
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 11, 2017
Looking for better employment I would like for the dairy to add some type of break in there job routine. The United Dairy Farmers is a decent starting out job.
Cons
No breaks👎
Great starter Job
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Batavia, OHMay 3, 2017
I worked there for 2 years at first as a second job then became my primary. The hours were never consistent which was an adjustment. I learned how to be a leader, handle pressure, work at a fast pace, and provide a smile to someone who just looks down. The hardest part of the job was trying to construct sundaes and scoop ice cream and watch the gas pumps at the same time for people who would drive off without paying. I did hear the company finally went to prepay. The pay was minimal for the amount of work they wanted done.
Pros
Fun with co-workers and customers
Cons
No free or discounted ice cream except in training
Soul stealing job
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 1, 2017
Requirements are very very high, district management and above will provide with very little support or words of encouragement... will constantly barrage general managers will complaints and demands even when you meet and have met every one of them in the past.
Pros
okay pay
Cons
Everything else... forget your life
Hard place to work in management
Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 30, 2017
In the beginning it was great until the owners took less hands on approach. No longer is it the FAMILY atmosphere to work in, it is just a business now. If you falter, no one is there to pick you up, management just puts the next person in your position and hopes they do the job. Workday can be from 1 hr till when ever. It is not common but does happen that your workday will be at least 16 hours and could be over 24 hours.
Pros
meeting great customers, and some co-workers, weekly pay
Cons
poor management unless you are in the "group"
Really flexible with hours and also allowed me to take extra shifts if I needed.
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wilder, KYApril 29, 2017
Typically I would clock in and just do odds and ends in the back of the store or restocking unless there was a customer at dipside or the register. I learned how to balance doing responsibilities that had at the back of the store and then handling a customer as well. I loved management here! He was so caring and he really helped schedule around my second job and when I was in high school they worked around my classes. The hardest part of the job was ice cream most definitely! The most enjoyable part of the job was working with some fun people who was really cool and taught me how to handle the ice cream and back of the store duties.
Pros
Great management
Cons
No discount on things.
If you like people and ice cream then this is the job for you!
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Maineville, OHApril 21, 2017
If you like people and ice cream then this is the job for you! I know that I just copied my summary and that's kinda cheating but that is really all that I have to say. Well that and that you get no breaks, no benefits, and you get paid just over minimum wage... if you advance.
Pros
Free nothing!
Cons
No breaks, no benefits
Great People
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 18, 2017
They will help you if or when needed. I've worked there for almost 4 months and a month and a half.So you can go there if you desire I would recommend that you do so.
Pros
Get paid every week
Cons
Short Breaks
Great Employer
Direct sales, Marketing and Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 5, 2017
I work unsupervised making store calls within an assigned territory to sell ,market , merchandise all company products . I oreder , maintain inventory levels , merchandise, and issue credits for unsaleable product. My primary goal is to increase company sales.
Pros
flexible hours
Not fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  South Euclid, OHApril 4, 2017
Worked an average of 15 hours per day. The convenient store is not easy. At one point I worked every day from The day after labor day, till Halloween, without a day off.
Pros
Ice cream
Cons
long days
fun
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Springdale, OHMarch 28, 2017
packed boxes at your own pace.
people were fun and helped out
hours were great and the pay as well
always in order and organized
home town store so it felt good working
Excellent Introduction to Cost Accounting
Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  Norwood, OHMarch 15, 2017
United Dairy Farmers provided me a valuable learning experience and introduction to product costing. Department management was more than willing to develop young talent.
Pros
free ice cream in the break room
Very boring work environment with terrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Landen, OHMarch 5, 2017
Management didn't do there job and they acted like they never wanted to be there. I worked 8 hour shifts with no breaks. And the company didn't care about the employees
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrison, OHMarch 2, 2017
Loved the customers we had. Really got to know the regulars. I would still be there if my GM cared more about her job then what I did. I got no support from her at all and felt like there wasn't much I could do besides changing stores. Which I ended up doing so and 2 months after the GM that I didn't care much for ended up moving to that store I could no longer stay there.
For a family owned organization, there wasnt much respect for families
General administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwood OhioMarch 1, 2017
The family that owns this company needs to show more respect for its employees. The saying "when you treat someone a certain way, they begin to behave a certain way" And I believe that applies to this work culture from the store level up to the management.
That being said, the manager of my own department, maintenance was quite different. We were our own family and treated each other like family, with respect and courtesy. We were like a company in itself.
The salary was substandard, the benefits were run of the mill, but with 401K contributions and such. There could be a modest salary to tolerate if some respect came along with it, but without acknowledgement of employees it leaves one wanting.
Pros
close knit department
Cons
Lack of respect for employees
a very good workplace if you enjoy fast paced
cashier (Former Employee) –  Norwood, OHFebruary 11, 2017
a typical day at work is pretty fast paced. I learned how to serve different flavors of ice creams and shakes and malts, how to run a cash register, how to stock the sales floor and how to rotate out different items. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the many different types of customers and the regulars there were very nice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Dairy Farmers. Our community is ready to answer.

United Dairy Farmers Reviews by Location