United Dairy Farmers Employee Reviews in United States

Fun but stressful
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 6, 2015
UDF is a fast growing company, with some serious growing pains, and a fast paced environment. As a manager, I had very little autonomy and the corresponding responsibility was out of line with that. Labor is tightly controlled and overtime even more so, so when an employee calls off, quits, or is fired, the only person to cover those gaps is the store manager. The stores, especially in urban areas, are difficult to staff but you can build your own staff in most cases.

The best part of the job is helping customers and the pay is very good. Bonuses can be hard to get, but there are quarterly performance awards that can add up to $500, in addition to the inventory/controllables bonus. The work life balance is horrible, as the hours are difficult to work and swing shifts are required weekly and weekends are required three times a month, including one swing shift on Friday or Saturday per month.
Pros
Decent vacation and benefits
Cons
No breaks an very little positive feedback
My review for United Dairy Farmers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 6, 2015
Working for this company taught me so much about working in retail, as well as being a retail manager. It provided me with most of my skills I have in the work place now, and I feel that the skills I acquired well qualify me for any job I take on.
I loved all of my co-workers, but did not enjoy the chain of command and how they dealt with workplace issues. They did not have great care for issues their employees were facing.
On a typical day I would take care of the opening paperwork and balance the cash and safe. I would then make sure the store looked presentable to the customers, and that food safety was in excellent condition. Then there would be ordering and inventory, stocking and cleaning. The remainder of the day would be spent providing excellent customer service and supervising my co-workers in doing the same.
I really enjoyed seeing all of the regulars who came in on a daily basis. It always made me happy to put a smile on their faces.
The hardest part of the job was being forced to work multiple shifts in a day when employees called off.
Pros
Job security, decent salary, satisfying customer relationships
Cons
Working double and triple shifts when we were low staffed
Productive and stress free work environment
Shift Leader/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 5, 2016
A day at work isn't rushed, but is steady and it could get busy. It is what you make it. I learned how to operate a Cash Register, make different Sundaes and Shakes, operate the safe and process money orders, record and order inventory, properly face and clean a store for inspection, repair equipment and defrost cabinets, and how to disassemble/reassemble and clean yogurt and soda machines.
There are many opportunities for advancement and the pay is very reasonable. My Co-Workers were also friendly, as we found it was much easier and made work more enjoyable when we all talk and get along. There is plenty of room to bond with your coworkers, if you feel the need, while you're working. The hardest part of the job was really handling the irate customers, and depending on which area you live in, the troublesome school kids, however what I enjoyed most about working there was the smooth steady work pace and getting along well with my coworkers.
Pros
Free Coffee, Free Soda, Opportunities for advancement, friendly regular customers
Cons
No set breaks (you can eat/drink when you have free time), Different schedule every week, no free Ice Cream, Thieves, Irate customers
A ice cream shop that serves everything under the sun.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 4, 2016
The employees at this company are nice, respectful, intelligent, hard working, and self motivated individuals, who work to serve customers with the greatest quality. While working part time, I learned customer service, operating a cash register, and problem solving skills. The hardest part of the job is the shift hours, which are on average eight hours, with no break. The best part of the job, however, is interacting with so many people throughout the day.
Pros
Free fountain drinks
Cons
No breaks, long shift hours
Nice job, just a bad nieghborhood
Clerk, shift leader (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45405May 28, 2016
It's an ok work environment lots of opportunities, but security and employee safety is the pits. Ice cream and the joy it brings people is delightful. I just wish they would commit to either being an ice cream shop or a gas station. That side by side causes more problems than you'd think.
Pros
Colorful workplace, lots of oppurtunities
Cons
I have seen too many people hurt by robberies to say it is safe.
I wouldn't reccommend anyone to work here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitehall, OHDecember 22, 2015
First off I'll start by saying the management is absolutely TERRIBLE. There was always something wrong with the store, or payroll, or just about anything. Customers were always rude. Shrink was extremely high, from customers and employees. I was an assistant manager and everyone with a lower position took advantage of my authority. The store and coolers were always a mess, no one would clean up after themselves.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
No breaks, not a productive environment
A day in the life of a retail manager
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 5, 2015
A busy, fast paced work environment where I have gotten to come in contact with many different cultures. Hectic, yet rewarding on a daily basis. Hardest part of my job tends to be the language barrier with the different nationalities that I come in contact with daily. The job itself is relatively easy and easy to learn. Another difficult part of my job is to keep employees motivated to do their jobs fully and accurately. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of my job is the regular customers that come in and bring their families to meet you. It makes me feel accomplished that I can touch someone's life in such a way, especially the children.
Pros
Consistent customer interaction, great pay.
Cons
Long work days (including working 18+ hours). No family time, or outside life.
Productive fun working environment.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 7, 2015
Show up on time and clock in. You will need to ensure your uniform is correct. You are required to walk around the store and ensure that the inventory are stocked and neatly placed on the shelves. You will need to walk around and make sure that the store is spotless clean and sanitary for our customers. As an assistant manager you will need to complete the work week schedule. You are required to complete the inventory charts and make sure that all the numbers add up. You are required to open the safe and lock the door while you are counting and documenting the required amounts. Most enjoyable part of the job is offering great customer service to the customers. It's not a very hard job.
Pros
offering great customer service
Cons
Dealing with thieves.
fun atmosphere with great customers
Shift Leader/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 12, 2015
At UDF i was in charge of overseeing the shift. This included: Inventory, cashier, replenishing sales floor, and overall upkeep of the store. The customers were the best part of this job. Every day was a fun and exciting day. It allowed me to develop relationships with the customer making it easier to provide a great shopping experience. The hardest part of this job would have to be loss prevention. We were located in a spot where theft was a problem at the time both internally and externally. Management felt like family to me so working there was very welcoming and supportive. From this job I have learned how to keep order within a shift. I can lead by example. I have also learned to pay attention to detail, especially when it came to inventory or scheduling.
Pros
great customers, atmosphere, management
Cons
people not willing to work, theft
a fun workplace with alot of interaction between customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrison, OHJune 10, 2016
United Dairy Farmers offered great benefits, fair pay and a very flexible schedule. All of the employees were very close kind of like family and the customers as well.
The perfect "first job"
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, INMarch 24, 2015
Constantly changing between ice cream, cash register, and cleaning. The customers are in large part regulars but unfortunately that doesn't make them any less quick to anger. Coffee will always be expected on time and if you are slow with ice cream or shakes expect dirty looks on top of complaints. No chance of benefits or real advancement beyond shift leader.
Pros
easy entry
Cons
no advancement, high turnover rate
fun workplace
customer sevice (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 2, 2016
I enjoy working for UDF. The staff is friendly and the manager are great. the hurs are flexible as well. Being a young employee I have obtained skills working in this enviroment
Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 27, 2015
The work environment was and is what you make it. Advancement here is based off work ethics, trustworthiness, honesty, and consistency. Leadership will help and mentor you to advance in the company. Daily life balance is a challenge b/c you are everything to everybody. Some 60+ work weeks. Lack diversity in Leadership
Pros
Making your own schedule, company picnics
Cons
Not a diverse company, lomnng work week, daily life and balance
Affordable Ice cream shop
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 11, 2016
- Great job for someone 18-26 old.
- Most co workers were great to work with
- Hardest part of the job is dipping the ice cream as hand cramps
can happen
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
No breaks, no overtime, Being robbed
Productive and fun work place
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 11, 2016
• Cash management
• Team supervisor
• Bulk Stock
• Inventory
• Maintenance
• Customer service
• Product quality assurance
Enjoyed working with the public
cashier/clerk (Former Employee) –  Bucyrus, OHOctober 27, 2015
A typical day at work would be running the cash register, customer service, making ice cream and coffee, cleaning the entire store before closing. I learned how to multitask and to be punctual. Management was fairly good. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing customers smile when they would get ice cream or discounts for purchasing fuel. Also I enjoyed getting to know the "regulars" that would come in daily.
Pros
close to home; walking distance.
Cons
no breaks throughout the entire shift.
Just a Summer Job
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Englewood, OHMarch 28, 2016
People are fun, Work is strenuous. If you're a hard worker this job is for you if you can handle the shifts. No breaks only for minors. Temperature is well below comfortable
Fun place to work at
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 8, 2016
Fun place to work at if you are in high school/college. Very easy job. Nothing too demanding, depending on who your supervisors and managers are, you will love this place. or learn to love.
Cons
no breaks
people are the greatest to work with
cashier (Former Employee) –  shadylane,ohioJanuary 26, 2016
worked as a mid shifter and the people, coworkers and the deputy sheriffs that I worked with are outstanding. My co workers cover each other if they come in late or if they have to leave early.
Pros
they work with you when you have some problems
Cons
no breaks or lunches
Family oriented company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioAugust 30, 2012
On a daily basis, I manage 10 employees in a customer service environment. I balance the safe, key in paperwork to balance the business day, control inventory by utilizing the AS 400 program counts and ordering, check in and put away inventory orders, handle a constant flow of customers, clean, interview, hire, suspend, fire, reprimand all employees. Everyday is a challenge to complete necessary tasks and my patience. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers tell me that my store is the cleanest, most organized UDF that they have ever been in. The most difficult part of my job is the constant emotion of displeasure when my supervisor or zone manager come in and have negative comments about my store as well as the fact that it seems that my job is never completed.
Pros
salary
Cons
hours

United Dairy Farmers Reviews by Location